Spitfire for south Pennine tech?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Spitfire for south Pennine tech?

A question for the UK riders maybe...?

Does anyone use a Spitfire in the Calderdale / Saddleworth / Peak District areas of England?

I currently ride an 08 5 Spot, which is great but I struggle on steep rocky climbs that some of my mates can do sitting down. Plus I think I'm ready for a change...

I like what I'm reading about the Spitfire. However it's billed as a "fast flowy singletrack killer", and I wonder if it's really what I need for our local riding? We have lots of short sharp rocky climbs and steep eroded bumpy fall-line descents, steps, rock gardens, ruts, drop offs and one or two switchbacks. There is some flowy singletrack if you know where to look, but I need something that's capable of all the above too.

As I can't get a test ride, I'm looking for any real world feedback. Can anyone reassure me before I pull the trigger?

Cheers,

Richard

ps: I'm new here... hi :-)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't live in England, but your riding sounds similar to what we have in Austin, TX. Very rocky and ledgy with steep up and downs. Not really any fast and flowy singletrack to be found here. I still like my Spitfire a lot on the type of riding here. The slack head angle is just fantastic on descents and I find essentially no issues with climbing. The low bottom bracket is nice for ripping the sharp corners.

The only thing you have to be aware of is your clearance on some of the ledges and rocks is a bit limited. I don't find it to be a problem for me, I just bash into things and usually roll over them fine. The other drawback is the really steep and tight uphill switchbacks can be challenging due to how far the front wheel is in front of you. But sitting forward up on the bike can remedy that for the most part. I test rode a 09 5 spot and would definitely recommend the spitfire mostly due to the head angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can't really answer your question about the Spitfire but I live in the Peak District and I ride a Rune. I think it's really well suited to the stuff round here, have you thought about the Rune at all?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I wondered about a Rune too. I was in two minds, but after speaking to the guys at Freeborn they seemed to think a Spitfire would suit my riding better. Also I like the idea of the long and low Spitfire. I'm 6'6" with a long body, so it seems like it would suit my shape.

Members who have read this thread: 0