Spitfire shock setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Spitfire shock setup

Hi Guys,

First post on MTBR. Read a lot of content on here before I bought my 2017 Spitfire last year. Lots of great advice. This is my first full suspension MTB, and I'm still trying to figure out my shock (Monarch plus). The bike seems to really hammer me through fast multiple hits, like roots. I was hoping you guys could check out my settings and tell me if I have something way off. (I'm probably about 220lbs fully decked out.)

Shock: 160 psi, 28% sag, Compression 100% open, Rebound 4 clicks from closed (turtle), No volume bands.

160mm Yari : 80 psi, 2 tokens, Compression 100 open, Rebound 10 clicks from closed

Tires: front 2.6" Magic Mary 22 psi, rear 2.6" Nobby Nic 25 psi

*Edit* I forgot to say, the reason why I feel something may be off is when I change my rebound adjustment, doesn't really seem to change the ride. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    fast successful hits requires a lot more rebound. I run my rebound the opposite of you because I go over so many small rocks/roots on a typical ride.

When you change the setting is the fork/shock visibly rebounding faster, or not? Possible your rebound adjuster has broke internally (has happened to me). I'd also run some more sag to see if that makes a difference.

Does it seem to buck you more front the front of the back? how much suspension are you using over these hits? Its likely that with such slow rebound you are packing down the suspension and possibly bottoming it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the rebound adjuster definitely works. I can visually tell by bouncing on the seat.

By running more sag, you mean lower the air pressure, correct?

The bike doesn't "buck"me, it just seems rough. And that's what I was wondering, is the shock packing? If I open the rebound more, it seems to be more "springy" and that makes it feel rough too. Like the tire being forced hard back into the next bump. Also with the rebound open more, I seem to bounce down the trail when I'm seated and pedaling. Like I'm on a pogo stick!

I'm not sure how much travel I'm using over these hits, but after a few hours of riding, I use all the travel. I'll have to check next time I go. I guess that would tell me if it's packing. I also haven't messed with volume spacers in my shock. Maybe I should explore that too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    could be tire pressure too. if they are inflated too much the suspension won't help much.

more sag = less air pressure, yes

also if you have set up your suspension for big hits... that comes at the cost of small hits. you can't have both really

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Tires I'm running 22 psi front, 25 rear. I was running 18 and 21 last year which was really smooth, but I would get tire roll when I pushed it hard in the berms and g-outs. I tried a 2.5" Maxxis Aggressor on the rear I was burping that at 25psi! I'm heavy and aggressive... just like my Spitfire, Haha. Thanks for the help. I just have to keep tinkering.

smartass
    It definitely sounds like you need to reduce your rebound. Too much rebound damping causes the shock to pack up and not respond to successive hits, just like you're describing. I'm with tedmasta in that I never ran more than 3-4 clicks from full open.

Less rebound with a little more sag sounds like the right approach. But, a stock shock will only get you so far. At some point, it's worth sending it to Avy for a custom tune, makes a huge difference.

Your tire pressure definitely isn't too high, either. I'm 165-170lbs and ran 25f/28r on EXO casing tires. I'm surprised you don't pinch flat at that psi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll go to the extreme and see how it performs. When I first put this bike together, I did the whole "ride off a curb" to set your rebound. Coming from a motocross background I thought, this is nuts, but super easy! We always set up the rebound on the roughest part of the track (like the whoop section). We'd watch the back tire and open the rebound until it wasn't packing into fender. I should be able to do the same thing by checking the travel o-ring.

As far as tires go, I'm super happy with these 27.5 x 2.6" schwalbe tires. You have to get the APEX sidewalls. They are really supportive and strong against pinch flats.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeers View Post
    Hi Guys,

First post on MTBR. Read a lot of content on here before I bought my 2017 Spitfire last year. Lots of great advice. This is my first full suspension MTB, and I'm still trying to figure out my shock (Monarch plus). The bike seems to really hammer me through fast multiple hits, like roots. I was hoping you guys could check out my settings and tell me if I have something way off. (I'm probably about 220lbs fully decked out.)

Shock: 160 psi, 28% sag, Compression 100% open, Rebound 4 clicks from closed (turtle), No volume bands.

160mm Yari : 80 psi, 2 tokens, Compression 100 open, Rebound 10 clicks from closed

Tires: front 2.6" Magic Mary 22 psi, rear 2.6" Nobby Nic 25 psi

*Edit* I forgot to say, the reason why I feel something may be off is when I change my rebound adjustment, doesn't really seem to change the ride. Thanks.
    Is it the shock that came on the bike? And do you know what the factory shock tune is on it?

The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem when I purchased an aftermarket Monarch Debonair for my 2016 Spitfire. My issue was that the tune on the shock was medium compression and medium rebound, and our bikes need a lighter compression damping (as well as the regular volume air can and not the debonair can). As a result, the shock had great low speed compression, but the high speed compression damping caused it to be very rough over sharp square edge hits as well as fast, repetitive hits. I sent it to Avalanche to have it tuned for me and the bike. It is substantially better now, although I had to add quite a few volume bands for how I ride.

I also agree with the above recommendations of backing off on the rebound damping. I only run 5 clicks from full open and I weigh 165. A lot of my riding consists of roots and rocks.

If it has the Debonair can, another thing to check is whether the ports allowing air to flow from the positive and negative air chambers are blocked or partially obstructed by grease. That can cause poor damping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Smurphey,
    It is the shock that came with my frame. It has a "ML" tune, which going by the color code on the sticker, I think it means Medium Rebound, Light Compression. I also found out mine has the regular can on it. I tried to buy some volume bands for my shock, and they don't make them for regular can. There is no "outer" can to take off to place the bands like on the debon air.

It's been pretty rainy here in PA last couple weeks, so I haven't been able to push my bike real hard through the rough stuff. I first tried rebound full open but couldn't stand pedaling it while seated... boing boing boing... so I started closing it. I think I'm somewhere around 10 clicks closed (about half way). It seems to feel better in the rocks and roots, but like I said, been pretty wet here lately to ride fast. I seem to be using less suspension travel too, so maybe it was packing up. Thanks for the info though. Much appreciated.