Spitfire rear shock options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Spitfire rear shock options

I have a 2013 spitfire with a cane creek db air with the xv can and 1 volume reducer. I've never been able to find a suspension tune that I'm satisfied with and I'd like to swap it to a simpler setup. If I have it set up to pedal well, it spikes on bigger hits. I want to change to a fox or rock shox rear suspension, but the options are a little overwhelming. What else works well on the back of these things?

FM
    mtbr member
    That's a sweet set-up you have, I rode the same for 2 seasons and loved it.
    I think you'd be wasting money downgrading to a simpler shock when you should be able to tune this set-up in.

Generally I find I don't care for recommended settings, I always find them to be undersprung and over-damped.. which seems consistent with your spiking complaint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks. I think I'm going to try to take out the volume spacer and see where that gets me. With so many different adjustments, it's difficult for me to settle on the "perfect tune". I always feel like some small adjustment will make it better.

FM
    mtbr member
    Guess what! I found my notes on my settings -thought I
    I had last them when I went from the spitty to my rune.

Sag= 15mm
    HSC 2 turns out of 4
    LSC 10 clicks out of 25
    HSR 2 turns out of 4
    LSR 14 clicks out of 25

I don't recall what I had in there for spacers.

If I was in your shoes, I would start with those settings, 15mm sag with your gear on, standing attack position measurement. If you're not getting full travel once in 5 rides or so, then try removing the volume spacer.

I think I had sent mine in once. If you don't get along with those settings it might be worth calling CC and sending the shock in for a warranty service, might need it.

I'm on a Float x2 now, on the Rune, and a Avalanche-tuned monarch on my following, and I still think that CCDBA/Spitfire combo was as good as it gets. Stick with it, you won't regret it!

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Get a regular can for the DB-Air, instead of the VX can!!!
    Since CaneCreek released the VX/CS-Options customers are fiddling too much with spacers, over damped adjustments and such, while the regular can offers more mid-travel-support and a better bottom-out without going into this spacer-hussle.
    I too have a 2013 Spitfire with this shock (regular can was standard at that time) and canīt think of a really better performing shock, to be honest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I downloaded the cane creek suspension app. I'll head to the bike park and spend a day dialing it in, and then never touch it again.

Big Test Icycles
    For what it's worth and if you don't find that sweet spot on your CC, I run a DVO Topaz on my Spitty. Very tunable and feels great. Something to think about instead of Fox or RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quite happy with my Marzocchi 053 S3C2R. Very sensitive, good midstroke support, very light, awesome damping, great adjustability (Rebound, lock-out with adjustable blow off valve, trail mode, open mode, HSC and LSC adjustable in open mode)

New ones come with black anodizing instead of "espresso coating", so colour matching isn't that difficult anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi, Anyone has this setup on your Spitfire V2? Was wondering what was your setup? I'm having difficulties getting it right. My bike back end is like throwing everywhere and felt unbalanced and firm, especially riding in a rock garden trails. But, I've setup according to Fox recommendation guideline.

https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=695

My setup as following:-
    Rider's weight : 66kg
    Sag :30%
    Air pressure: 150psi
    LSR:18
    HSR:16
    LSC:22
    HSC:20

Front tire pressure : 18psi
    Rear tire pressure :20psi

What's your setup like? Maybe can give me some pointers, where did I do wrong?
    Thanks
    Last edited by darkcrow; 07-09-2017 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darkcrow View Post
    Hi, Anyone has this setup on your Spitfire V2? Was wondering what was your setup? I'm having difficulties getting it right. My bike back end is like throwing everywhere and felt unbalanced and firm, especially riding in a rock garden trails. But, I've setup according to Fox recommendation guideline.

https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=695

My setup as following:-
    Rider's weight : 66kg
    Sag :30%
    Air pressure: 150psi
    LSR:18
    HSR:16
    LSC:22
    HSC:20

Front tire pressure : 18psi
    Rear tire pressure :20psi

What's your setup like? Maybe can give me some pointers, where did I do wrong?
    Thanks
    Probably you can try back off your HSC. I run my CCDBA HSC 1 turn clockwise out of 4. from fully open. Then I use volume spacers to control bottom out.
    hodor.