Spitfire '15 / swap bearings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Spitfire '15 / swap bearings

I experienced some problems when I mounted new bearings, as I cannot press the bearings into their seats properly. It looks like the link rocker seems to be too wide by at least 1,5mm.
    Before pressing in the new bearings I braced the rear triangle to make sure I won't just deform it instead of pressing in the bearings. This strategy worked well for the lower bearings, but not for the smaller upper ones. I really think about milling some material off the rocker...
    What are your experiences?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spitfire '15 / swap bearings-img_20190125_172339770_1.jpg  

FM
    mtbr member
    What are you using as a bearing press?

I used a DIY set-up, basically threaded rod, nuts, washers and sockets. I don't recall what size but I used a socket which matched the diameter of the outer race to press them in. Fully seated without issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    What are you using as a bearing press?

I used a DIY set-up, basically threaded rod, nuts, washers and sockets. I don't recall what size but I used a socket which matched the diameter of the outer race to press them in. Fully seated without issue.
    Did it the same way. The socket sat pretty well on the outer race of the bearing. And as I already mentioned, the rocker sits tight between the inner races of the bearings. Really strange...
    I also braced the triangle so that it could not flex due to the pressing force.Spitfire '15 / swap bearings-img_20190125_201920805_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just was PM'ing with yo_eddie and you know I think mine on my 2018 Prime were the same way. Here are some recent shots from a bearing service in October:

Spitfire '15 / swap bearings-img_20181004_222244.jpg

Spitfire '15 / swap bearings-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    I just was PM'ing with yo_eddie and you know I think mine on my 2018 Prime were the same way. Here are some recent shots from a bearing service in October:
    Ah, here we go. So is there a gap between outer bearing race and inner face of the bearing seat, too?
    Like shown in my first pic above?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yo_eddie View Post
    Ah, here we go. So is there a gap between outer bearing race and inner face of the bearing seat, too?
    Like shown in my first pic above?
    Oh right, good point. I'll have to take a look in the garage. I'll try to get a photo for you this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Oh right, good point. I'll have to take a look in the garage. I'll try to get a photo for you this weekend.
    Sounds good, thank you!

mtbr member
    I replaced my '13 Spitfire pivot bearings over the weekend for the first time. I had cleaned and re-greased the bearings while in the frame two years ago. I had been noticing some slop in the rear that I hope new bearings fixes, and found the lower bearings were quite crunchy.

I cobbled together some press tools out of various hardware and metal bits. When I pressed the new bearings in I just did each one individually until it bottomed out in the seat, then checked that the link fit between and all was good. The bearings that sit below flush with the outside face I pressed in until flush and then used the pivot axle and bolt to pull it in the rest of the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    No way to get the bearings all the way in here. The link sits tight between the bearings and there is almost 1mm left on each side to the face of the bearing seat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo_eddie View Post
    No way to get the bearings all the way in here. The link sits tight between the bearings and there is almost 1mm left on each side to the face of the bearing seat.
    To be clear, I did not press the new bearings into the frame with the link in place. I used a thick washer on the inside of the bearing seat, a socket to push on the bearing, and a bolt to pull the bearing into the bore. I did this for each side, then made sure the link still fit between them which it did without issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    To be clear, I did not press the new bearings into the frame with the link in place. I used a thick washer on the inside of the bearing seat, a socket to push on the bearing, and a bolt to pull the bearing into the bore. I did this for each side, then made sure the link still fit between them which it did without issue.
    I see - if I would mount the bearings that way, the link would not fit between the bearings. Been there, done that...
    Thanks anyway