Rune vs. Phantom- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Rune vs. Phantom

Perhaps my search-fu was on vacation, but I can't seem to find many comparisons between these two bikes. Anyone owned and/or ridden both extensively? Love to hear your insights.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They are completely different bikes. The Phantom is a short-travel 29'er and the Rune is a long travel 26/27.5 bike. I'm sure you know all this, but perhaps you could be a bit more specific in your question.

If you are going to be hitting bike parks, lift-assist downhill runs, super agressive enduro/all-mountain stuff, then go with the Rune. If you are going to be doing more trail riding, lots of ups and down, want a 29er, then go with the Phantom.

I'd also consider the Spitfire as a good "middle ground". Slightly less aggressive than the Rune, 140mm rear travel, and the most fun bike I've ever ridden.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I apologize for not providing the proper background. I just sold my Phantom with an Avy-tuned shock, which was possibly a mistake.

I loved everything about the bike, but wanted more travel and a bit shorter reach. I live and ride in Phoenix, so very aggro rocky tech riding, but I do earn my turns. No shuttles or parks.

My curiousity was how similarly the two ride, climb and descend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I apologize for not providing the proper background. I just sold my Phantom with an Avy-tuned shock, which was possibly a mistake.

I loved everything about the bike, but wanted more travel and a bit shorter reach. I live and ride in Phoenix, so very aggro rocky tech riding, but I do earn my turns. No shuttles or parks.

My curiousity was how similarly the two ride, climb and descend.
    I can't provide direct ride comparison, but the Rune will not climb nearly as well as the Phantom, but it will destroy it on the downhills.

Since you liked the Phantom so much, it sounds to me like the Prime is the exact bike you need. It's much like your phantom but with more travel and a slightly shorter reach. Remember this can also be adjusted with seat position, stem length, and bar sweep.

Judging by what you said I would go Prime if you love/want a 29er and go Spitfire if you want 26 or 27.5.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Since I have a Canfield Nimble SS and a 29+, I wouldn't hate giving 27.5 another go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Since I have a Canfield Nimble SS and a 29+, I wouldn't hate giving 27.5 another go.
    I'd go Spitfire 27.5 then. It's the bike I have and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. It deals great with the rocky technical trails here in Colorado. Climbs great and descends like a bike with much more travel. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Mine has the MRP Stage front and CC DBInline rear which I think works perfectly on the spitfire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a Prime, a Spitfire and a Phantom. Since I got the Prime, the Spifire really doesn't do it for me anymore. Prime decends just as well as the Spitfire and in my opinion and experience, climbs much better than it.

FM
    mtbr member
    Ha, funny I was going to recommend the spitfire, having come to that from the Prime and v1 Rune.

Ultimately I think it comes down to your trails and riding style.

So you liked everything about the Phantom but wished it had more travel. Here is the weird thing, 140mm on the spitfire feels like a ton more than 130 on the Prime. I guess it's just the kinematics of the bikes (and I had 160mm forks on both) or the wheelsize.

Anyways... I figure it comes down to trails and riding style. Random thoughts...

The spitfire outcorners the prime, no question. Jumps much better too. Climbs just as well, better at tech climbing actually.

The rune was really in it's element with jumps, drops and slow techy steeps. Shorter WB, more travel, smaller wheels, taller BB. Less of a GS bike and more of a park/FR bike. Overkill for XC though, or high-speed XC descending where the spitfire shines.

One thing the prime did really well, was high speed pumpy stuff. The long wheelbase & big wheels are an asset there... you can manual and not worry about looping out.

Not sure what your 29+ is, but based off your stable I think the spitfire would give you more of what you're missing.