Rune V1 Suspension Upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Rune V1 Suspension Upgrade

Hey guys, since there is some dedicated discussion board for Banshee bikes in here, I thought I'd post few words about the mega-upgrade I have done to my oldisch V1 Rune. While industry has been inventing new plus-boost world-saving standars, I've designed, got made and installed a complete set of suspension parts running on smooth ENDURO MAX bearings in order to get rid of the damn sticky IGUS bushes that I was supposed to clean and grease after each ride.

While designing the new suspension arms and pivots I was bound by actual space and dimensions limitations, however I managed to construct entire assembly on 17mm pivot axles. Both lower and upper pivots use pairs of 17mm bearings, chainstay axle runs on 10mm bearing and seatstay axle uses flanged 8mm bearing (not ENDURO). My main requirements were as large pivots as possible for overall stiffness, ease of manufacturing and maintanence, and many-years long durability.
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20151110_225638.jpg
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20151110_230340.jpg
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20151110_222604.jpg
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20151113_221706.jpg

Everything is made of 7075-T6 aluminium without surface treatment (I hand sprayed it with some matte laquer, but it doesn't hold), except for standardized stainless bolts. Made in China for 270eur in nov/2015.

Everything was very easy until the moment when I found out the real damage done by bushings. Bushings actually started grinding the pivot housing material in main-frame, so I was not able to finish the pivot housing holes by hand. My uncle did professionaly enlarged those pivot holes, and pressed-in new sleeves with exact ID.
    After that, things were againg easy. I used several types of washers here and there, assembled it and was stoked how smoothly entire suspension worked. There was no sticky friction, no thresholds to overcome. Just one beautiful smooth rotations at each pivot. Simple beauty.
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20160424_213441.jpg

Another surprise came during the first ride on my favorite trails including some more technical sections. While I had been using very small damping settings previously on the bushings, I suddenly had to add more compression and even rebound damping and I still haven't set up my DHX5 finally. Previously I used only 3 click of rebound damping, and 4 clicks of compr. damping. Now, I am experimenting with twice harder damping settings.
    The feeling from riding the new linkage is quite natural, the linkage movement is very responsive and smooth. There are no thresholds, no lagging. As for lateral stiffness I am very happy as well, I'd say it's noticeably stiffer sideways than before. I'll see how it holds up during the time, whether some misalignment or play arises, but now it made the bike completely new. The frame may not have the super popular geometry, but it still can climb and descent very agilely. With oldish Lyrik with travel increased to 170mm there is 67 head angle

You can see some more images inclufin short video here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Some more images
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20160424_214532.jpg
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20160424_224400.jpg
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20160502_215058.jpg

Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20160506_192148.jpg
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20160506_192654.jpg
    Rune  V1 Suspension Upgrade-img_20160506_192846.jpg

mtbr member
    Very cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Great work!!

Отправлено с моего SM-G800F через Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I still have my v1 frame in the shed. Don't want to throw it out but not worth building up either! Bearings on this thing would be awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi, jazza. I sincerely can't imagine I would throw that frame or sell it to anybody. It's a hook that will serve well even to my kids in 20 years :-). There's nothing that can go wrong with it except for the numbers of silly and always the best mega-boost-plus standards... Even in my best DH seasons 3 years ago I couldn't push it hard enough. The only weak point were those God damned bushings.
    If there were enough guys who would like to upgrade their V1 frame, I could redesign the axle assemblies and get it made for under 300eur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fluider View Post
    Hi, jazza. I sincerely can't imagine I would throw that frame or sell it to anybody. It's a hook that will serve well even to my kids in 20 years :-). There's nothing that can go wrong with it except for the numbers of silly and always the best mega-boost-plus standards... Even in my best DH seasons 3 years ago I couldn't push it hard enough. The only weak point were those God damned bushings.
    If there were enough guys who would like to upgrade their V1 frame, I could redesign the axle assemblies and get it made for under 300eur.
    I've got a V1.5 with the pivot chop out issue. Rebuilt the surfaces with JB weld and it's been fine but I would be keen on your upgrade.

Scott is a tool.
    Oh man, this upgrade looks amazing!!!

Tip of the hat to you fine sir, very well played.