rune sizing help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

rune sizing help

Hey, looking at getting a Rune for my next frame and its tough to find a demo in my area, so thought id get some feedback. I'm 5' 7.5" and im pretty sure small is right, i rode a v1 rune eight years ago in medium w/50 mm stem and felt right, currrently own a 2014 rocky mountain altitude, small - reach 389, 45 mm stem, and a 2011 transition blindside converted to 650b, medium-reach 393, 40 mm stem, both feel right; time for something new going to replace both with Rune. Reach/stack on small is in line with previous bikes, even a tad longer. I know recently many brands have increased reach dramatically so can run a shorter stem (banshee havent gone too nuts with that at least), my stems were already short before and cant get much shorter, i actually kind of dislike the steering response of 30 mm stems. I guess i dont like long bikes, due to poor flexibility and minor spine issues and im also very top heavy and really need to get my weight back to not feel sketchy on descents. I ride quite a bit of slow tech where i need to shift around a lot on the bike, as well as fast (ish) plowing. Lots of climbing too.
    I know sizing is very personal however, whenever i mention to other riders (on various bikes) im gonna get a small they think im nuts. so thought id get some opinions. @builttoride ? Thanks!
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Hey, looking at getting a Rune for my next frame and its tough to find a demo in my area, so thought id get some feedback. I'm 5' 7.5" and im pretty sure small is right, i rode a v1 rune eight years ago in medium w/50 mm stem and felt right, currrently own a 2014 rocky mountain altitude, small - reach 389, 45 mm stem, and a 2011 transition blindside converted to 650b, medium-reach 393, 40 mm stem, both feel right; time for something new going to replace both with Rune. Reach/stack on small is in line with previous bikes, even a tad longer. I know recently many brands have increased reach dramatically so can run a shorter stem (banshee havent gone too nuts with that at least), my stems were already short before and cant get much shorter, i actually kind of dislike the steering response of 30 mm stems. I guess i dont like long bikes, due to poor flexibility and minor spine issues and im also very top heavy and really need to get my weight back to not feel sketchy on descents. I ride quite a bit of slow tech where i need to shift around a lot on the bike, as well as fast (ish) plowing. Lots of climbing too.
    I know sizing is very personal however, whenever i mention to other riders (on various bikes) im gonna get a small they think im nuts. so thought id get some opinions. @builttoride ? Thanks!
    Designers are also going down steeper seat angle so to adjust for that have longer reach. Maybe if your a banshee fan, give comparable frames a try to see if the numbers make more sense then buy a banshee :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    right, that gets you feeling closer to bars when seated, unless you push the seat back to get the same pedaling position as before. I am far more intersted in how a bike feels when standing and going downhill, where seat angle doesnt matter. SA on my current bikes is pretty close to Rune.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    right, that gets you feeling closer to bars when seated, unless you push the seat back to get the same pedaling position as before. I am far more intersted in how a bike feels when standing and going downhill, where seat angle doesnt matter. SA on my current bikes is pretty close to Rune.
    Kinematics?

I'm having a hard time understanding why reach is the only thing you're comparing when out of saddle incorporates a whole lot more. CS, WB, Stack, BB all play a role. I don't know your riding style or your body composition but if I was proportionally sized down to 5'8" (I'm 5'10") I'd run a medium....

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    CS, WB, and HA are almost identical to current frame, and adjusted stack and reach (after putting on spacers and stem) looks to end up real close on small Rune and current ride, even a tad longer. Runes BB will be .3" lower.
    Do you have a medium?
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    No I'm on a large. I'm also on a '16 rune with modified geometry.

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It sounds to me like you have specific requirements from frame geometry (due to back issues), so I personally think you should take this into account when reading suggestions from other riders who base it on their experience and height. Their comments are totally valid for them and many other riders, but if your back means you need a specific setup then it's good to recognise that.

If you feel comfortable on the bikes you mentioned above, (it sounds like you know what you need, and have done your homework), then I'd agree that a small frame geometry best matches the geometry of the bikes you listed as being comfortable for you to ride.

Just my $0.02
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I'd have to tend to agree with the above, if you just told me your height, I'd have easily said Medium, but after reading your description and issues, I say stick to what you are comfortable on. One question I will ask is if you have demoed any bikes that are longer than your current setups? If you haven't, might be a good idea to at least try a bike or two that are the "normal" size for someone your height to see how they actually, physically feel.

I fully get where you're coming from on physical restrictions, my cockpit used to be over 2" longer than it is now, but tight muscles and a change in riding style, have made me make those changes and I have enough experience to know exactly what I like and want. I am working on trying to improve/fix my physical issues though, as it will help not only with flexibility, but also ability to move about easier on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks Keith! I jut donít like feeling too stretched out forward with no bend in my elbows. Just wanted to make sure you wasnt thinking i was making a big mistake, haha.
    Lynx, I did demo a medium 2014 rm altitude (with 40 mm I think) stem before I decided on the small, kinda hurt my back and didnít feel great , similar reach as med rune. Been on the small for 5 years and fits great. Rmís sizing suggestions even put me in high end of a small. Also own a medium transition blindside which is getting real long in the tooth , its reach is 393 and 65 HA. Now mediums are like 430-460. Many manufactures imo are going nuts with long low and slack, low and slack is good but reaches are sometimes getting several inches longer than the last time I got a new bike
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 05-03-2018 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Kind of hijacking this; I used to ride a v2 Spitfire medium frame.

I'm on the verge of picking up a Rune frame. Are the medium Rune and Spitfires pretty close in measurements?