Rune buying advice- Mtbr.com
    gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Rune buying advice

Heya, I am looking for something to replace my 26" Knolly delirium and having owned the Scream and the Scythe, the Rune is on my short list. I am considering buying a built 2016 or building a 2017 frame up. I am between 5'9 and 5'10"(33/34" inseam) which would seem to put me on a medium. The 2016 is a large and was curious whether anyone my size has gone up a size to the large and are satisfied or would I be better sticking with the medium??

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 with a 33 inseam and I'm on a large with a 40 mm stem and 780 bars... for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2019 Kona Rove NRB DL
    2020 Banshee Paradox

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    Heya, I am looking for something to replace my 26" Knolly delirium and having owned the Scream and the Scythe, the Rune is on my short list. I am considering buying a built 2016 or building a 2017 frame up. I am between 5'9 and 5'10"(33/34" inseam) which would seem to put me on a medium. The 2016 is a large and was curious whether anyone my size has gone up a size to the large and are satisfied or would I be better sticking with the medium??
    I'm 5'9 and a medium with a 50mm stem fit perfectly.

How about some delicious Spam...I am actually selling that rather decked out bike now for a deal too.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post

How about some delicious Spam...I am actually selling that rather decked out bike now for a deal too.

Cheers! Bike looks good but looking for something newer.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    I'm 5'11 with a 33 inseam and I'm on a large with a 40 mm stem and 780 bars... for what it's worth.

[QUOTE=Junersun;13053064]I'm 5'11 with a 33 inseam and I'm on a large with a 40 mm stem and 780 bars... for what it's worth.

Dang. I suspected I'd be on a medium but the large was a good price. Just added the new delirium to my list. Unfortunately, a little longer than I'd like and maybe not as all day pedally as I think the Rune may be.

I fix choppers
    Cheers! Bike looks good but looking for something newer.
    Oh, no worries. I found the Rune to be the best all around bike I have owned/ridden in years. I would not have parted with it, but opted to move on to very different bike. That said, I have nothing bad to say about my experience with the Rune nor Banshee. If things don't work out with my next bike I will return post haste to one.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=gmx;13055322]

Dang. I suspected I'd be on a medium but the large was a good price. Just added the new delirium to my list. Unfortunately, a little longer than I'd like and maybe not as all day pedally as I think the Rune may be.
    Knolly delirium looks awesome but I think you're right it's not an all day pedaller. Down looks sick though but I think it's more comparable to the darkside.

I know quite a few people with warden though and they have had nothing but good things to say. Just glued to the ground!

Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2019 Kona Rove NRB DL
    2020 Banshee Paradox

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Oh, no worries. I found the Rune to be the best all around bike I have owned/ridden in years. I would not have parted with it, but opted to move on to very different bike. That said, I have nothing bad to say about my experience with the Rune nor Banshee. If things don't work out with my next bike I will return post haste to one.
    Great endorsement! Are you going bigger or smaller?

Braaap
    For an aggressive bike like the Rune, I usually recommend sizing up with a stubby stem if needed.

The new Delirium is a bit more DH oriented than the Rune. It pedals on the trail surprisingly well, but as you mentioned, not as well as the Rune. The Warden would be more comparable.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

I fix choppers
    Great endorsement! Are you going bigger or smaller?
    The same, but different actually. Same travel. Bigger wheels. It was the right time for a big change. We'll see.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    [QUOTE=Junersun;13055654]

Knolly delirium looks awesome but I think you're right it's not an all day pedaller. Down looks sick though but I think it's more comparable to the darkside.

I know quite a few people with warden though and they have had nothing but good things to say. Just glued to the ground!

Thanks - I just added the warden to the list. I have no doubt about its climbing capabilities but I've read it can be a bit skittish on bigger/steeper descents. I was kinda hoping that the rune might be able to fill in a spot between the warden and delirium.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The same, but different actually. Same travel. Bigger wheels. It was the right time for a big change. We'll see.

Awesome. Enjoy!!

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The new Delirium is a bit more DH oriented than the Rune. It pedals on the trail surprisingly well, but as you mentioned, not as well as the Rune. The Warden would be more comparable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats a tick against the Delirium as I love the climbing game almost as much as I love steep snotty descents. As you sell both bikes, would you say the Rune would be somewhere inbetween the delirium and the warden?

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    [QUOTE=DirtMerchantBicycles;13055945]For an aggressive bike like the Rune, I usually recommend sizing up with a stubby stem if needed.

Hmmm. I've been out of the bike buying game for awhile (about 7 years which is probably closer to a decade in the bike industry). Intuition tells me sizing up will make the wheel base too long but I am interested in the reasoning for sizing up. Would you recommend sizing up for the warden as well?