Rune buying advice

Printable View

• 02-21-2017
    gmx
    Rune buying advice
    Heya, I am looking for something to replace my 26" Knolly delirium and having owned the Scream and the Scythe, the Rune is on my short list. I am considering buying a built 2016 or building a 2017 frame up. I am between 5'9 and 5'10"(33/34" inseam) which would seem to put me on a medium. The 2016 is a large and was curious whether anyone my size has gone up a size to the large and are satisfied or would I be better sticking with the medium??
  • 02-21-2017
    Junersun
    I'm 5'11 with a 33 inseam and I'm on a large with a 40 mm stem and 780 bars... for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-21-2017
    HELLBELLY
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    Heya, I am looking for something to replace my 26" Knolly delirium and having owned the Scream and the Scythe, the Rune is on my short list. I am considering buying a built 2016 or building a 2017 frame up. I am between 5'9 and 5'10"(33/34" inseam) which would seem to put me on a medium. The 2016 is a large and was curious whether anyone my size has gone up a size to the large and are satisfied or would I be better sticking with the medium??

I'm 5'9 and a medium with a 50mm stem fit perfectly.

How about some delicious Spam...I am actually selling that rather decked out bike now for a deal too.

:thumbsup: :devil:
  • 02-22-2017
    gmx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post

How about some delicious Spam...I am actually selling that rather decked out bike now for a deal too.

Cheers! Bike looks good but looking for something newer.
  • 02-22-2017
    gmx
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    I'm 5'11 with a 33 inseam and I'm on a large with a 40 mm stem and 780 bars... for what it's worth.

[QUOTE=Junersun;13053064]I'm 5'11 with a 33 inseam and I'm on a large with a 40 mm stem and 780 bars... for what it's worth.

Dang. I suspected I'd be on a medium but the large was a good price. Just added the new delirium to my list. Unfortunately, a little longer than I'd like and maybe not as all day pedally as I think the Rune may be.
  • 02-22-2017
    HELLBELLY
    Quote:

Cheers! Bike looks good but looking for something newer.

Oh, no worries. I found the Rune to be the best all around bike I have owned/ridden in years. I would not have parted with it, but opted to move on to very different bike. That said, I have nothing bad to say about my experience with the Rune nor Banshee. If things don't work out with my next bike I will return post haste to one.
  • 02-22-2017
    Junersun
    [QUOTE=gmx;13055322]
    Quote:

Dang. I suspected I'd be on a medium but the large was a good price. Just added the new delirium to my list. Unfortunately, a little longer than I'd like and maybe not as all day pedally as I think the Rune may be.

Knolly delirium looks awesome but I think you're right it's not an all day pedaller. Down looks sick though but I think it's more comparable to the darkside.

I know quite a few people with warden though and they have had nothing but good things to say. Just glued to the ground!

• 02-22-2017
    gmx
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, no worries. I found the Rune to be the best all around bike I have owned/ridden in years. I would not have parted with it, but opted to move on to very different bike. That said, I have nothing bad to say about my experience with the Rune nor Banshee. If things don't work out with my next bike I will return post haste to one.

Great endorsement! Are you going bigger or smaller?
  • 02-22-2017
    DirtMerchantBicycles
    For an aggressive bike like the Rune, I usually recommend sizing up with a stubby stem if needed.

The new Delirium is a bit more DH oriented than the Rune. It pedals on the trail surprisingly well, but as you mentioned, not as well as the Rune. The Warden would be more comparable.
  • 02-22-2017
    HELLBELLY
    Quote:

Great endorsement! Are you going bigger or smaller?

The same, but different actually. Same travel. Bigger wheels. It was the right time for a big change. We'll see. :eekster:

• 02-23-2017
    gmx
    [QUOTE=Junersun;13055654]
    Quote:

Knolly delirium looks awesome but I think you're right it's not an all day pedaller. Down looks sick though but I think it's more comparable to the darkside.

I know quite a few people with warden though and they have had nothing but good things to say. Just glued to the ground!

Thanks - I just added the warden to the list. I have no doubt about its climbing capabilities but I've read it can be a bit skittish on bigger/steeper descents. I was kinda hoping that the rune might be able to fill in a spot between the warden and delirium.
  • 02-23-2017
    gmx
    Quote:

The same, but different actually. Same travel. Bigger wheels. It was the right time for a big change. We'll see. :eekster:

Awesome. Enjoy!!
  • 02-23-2017
    gmx
    The new Delirium is a bit more DH oriented than the Rune. It pedals on the trail surprisingly well, but as you mentioned, not as well as the Rune. The Warden would be more comparable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats a tick against the Delirium as I love the climbing game almost as much as I love steep snotty descents. As you sell both bikes, would you say the Rune would be somewhere inbetween the delirium and the warden?
  • 02-23-2017
    gmx
    [QUOTE=DirtMerchantBicycles;13055945]For an aggressive bike like the Rune, I usually recommend sizing up with a stubby stem if needed.

Hmmm. I've been out of the bike buying game for awhile (about 7 years which is probably closer to a decade in the bike industry). Intuition tells me sizing up will make the wheel base too long but I am interested in the reasoning for sizing up. Would you recommend sizing up for the warden as well?