Rune 2016 Frame Crack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rune 2016 Frame Crack

Hi all,

I contacted the shop where I bought it from but, after 3 weeks and a few phone calls they still haven't heard anything back from ISON and I'm getting a bit fed up of not having a bike to ride.

Now, the most annoying bit. It's techincally out of warranty by just over a month. That said, it seems a bit ridiculous to me that a weld should let go after 2 years. Can anyone help?

Chris

Rune 2016 Frame Crack-20180630_120517.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ooooooy, have not seen that one before. Good thing you found it!

Are you in US? If so, contact Ethan at Dirt Merchant in CO. Been through 2 warranties with him and Banshee, rock solid.

mtbr member
    Nope, UK. As per the Banshee site I went through the shop I bought it from. I'm just disappointed in the customer service. It's been 3 weeks and all I've had is the shop promising me they'll chase ISON and nothing else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phsx2 View Post
    Nope, UK. As per the Banshee site I went through the shop I bought it from. I'm just disappointed in the customer service. It's been 3 weeks and all I've had is the shop promising me they'll chase ISON and nothing else.
    Oy. Sorry I can't offer more. My experiences with Banshee in the US have been nothing short of stellar. Hopefully they'll take care of you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Oy. Sorry I can't offer more. My experiences with Banshee in the US have been nothing short of stellar. Hopefully they'll take care of you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Hopefully, I'm gonna contact them directly and see what happens.

mtbr member
    My sons large 2016 had the exact same crack.Same colour frame too
    I had no problem the shop I bought it from was right onto it.
    Banshee did take a little while to send me a replacement rear triangle.
    Banshee did tell me though it was non structural and could be ridden
    Hope you get it sorted
    Im in Australia- I think it can depend a bit on the shop you are dealing with

mtbr member
    I'm just pissed off at this point. It's been a month and I've still heard nothing from the shop. I contacted banshee themselves 5 days ago out of desperation and I've heard sweet FA from them too.

I'm not sure how much faith I have in them saying it's non-structural. If it doesn't do anything then it's just adding complexity and weight to the frame for zero reason.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What email did you send to for banshee direct? [email protected] is best place to start. You'll need to send a copy of sales reciept, photo of issue, photo of complete bike, and photo of frame number (under BB) to start the process.

Warranty requests need to come through from dealer to distributor to us... it's just the way we are set up. But we can chase it for you from our end.

Regarding that crack... that tube is primarily for alignment and ease of assembly. If does add a little stiffness to the rear triangle, but doesn't add much in way of strength. But it should be replaced as soon as is convenient to you just in case.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I went through your website contact us section. I used my gmail: [email protected] I did include a picture of the issue and the frame number. But, I didn't include anything else. Shall I directly email the [email protected] with all of that info or what?

And thanks for replying Keith.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you could please email to [email protected] that would ensure we get it. I need to check what is going on with the website contact us widget, as I've heard once before from a customer who's message failed to get through, but we tested and it appeared to be working. My apologies!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I've popped an email over, cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'll just reuse this thread since i too have a cracking question.
    Rune cracked right at the weld of top right shock mount. It was hairline crack for a couple of months untill yesterday when it spread ~2mm on each side.
    Since i have at least 2 upcomming (enduro) races with appropriate training sessions i wonder what's my bike's life expectancy? Since one whole day of riding forced the crack to spread is it reasonable to expect it to last ~ 10 days of shuttling and racing? Or am i risking the whole thing to fold under me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If frame shows signs of damage then we recommend you stop riding it and contact the shop you bought it from to inquire about warranty or crash replacement. It's not worth the risk.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've just sold the rear end of my cracked (snapped lol) Spitfire to someone as his Spitfire cracked like yours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    If frame shows signs of damage then we recommend you stop riding it and contact the shop you bought it from to inquire about warranty or crash replacement. It's not worth the risk.
    Are crash replacement prices something that Banshee as such recommends or are they offered by salesmen?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shoshy View Post
    Are crash replacement prices something that Banshee as such recommends or are they offered by salesmen?
    Our frames come with lifetime crash replacement to original owner. Prices do depend on location due to shipping costs and taxes, so please contact your local distributor for details.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I did contact the distributor, but I'm not very happy with the offer i got. That's why i wonder if there is a recommended / fixed discount percentage or is it at the dealers leisure

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I did contact the distributor, but I'm not very happy with the offer i got. That's why i wonder if there is a recommended / fixed discount percentage or is it at the dealers leisure
    Make tell distributors what we expect in terms of pricing level... basically crash replacement should mean that customer gets a replacement without anyone in the chain making, or loosing money... just covering costs. If you want to let me know details to follow up on please email me at [email protected]
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm in the same boat. Frame starts showing hairlines in the knowns places on the rune (welds on upper shock mount and the brace between downtube and seattube). Although I'm not the original owner, I was expecting a brand to stand more behind their product for a known problem like this. If the crashreplacement deal just needs to cover the costs, I don't think I got the "real crashreplacement deal". A little bit disappointed...

What? There's more?
    Just found crack in my 2016 Rune in the exact spot where the OP's failed. The bike is 2 years and 1 week old...of course. Perhaps not structural, but the fact that it absorbed enough force to crack means that force now has to go somewhere else, like flex. Contacted the dealer and Banshee. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll get re-aquainted with my hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Just found crack in my 2016 Rune in the exact spot where the OP's failed. The bike is 2 years and 1 week old...of course. Perhaps not structural, but the fact that it absorbed enough force to crack means that force now has to go somewhere else, like flex. Contacted the dealer and Banshee. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll get re-aquainted with my hardtail.
    I gave up with Banshee in the end as all they would offer is a slight discount on a new frame, which rather annoyed me as it was a couple of months outside the two years and frankly it's ridiculous that a frame should fail in under 3 years.

Anyway, I ended up getting it welded up as it's 7000 series tubing so doesn't have to be heat treated after being welded. Did have the bearings replaced after it was welded to make damn sure it was okay and to be fair, it has been fine since. But, I won't be buying Banshee again as since I've had this issue I have seen one too many problems cropping up with Banshee's just outside of the warranty period.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    2 years isn't really enough. Is it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by teethgrinder View Post
    2 years isn't really enough. Is it.
    It is for manufacturer defects IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Nah. Mine snapped at 21 months but was already a replacement frame. Now I have an HB160 with a lifetime warranty.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bike...k-1076186.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phsx2 View Post
    I gave up with Banshee in the end as all they would offer is a slight discount on a new frame, which rather annoyed me as it was a couple of months outside the two years and frankly it's ridiculous that a frame should fail in under 3 years.

Anyway, I ended up getting it welded up as it's 7000 series tubing so doesn't have to be heat treated after being welded. Did have the bearings replaced after it was welded to make damn sure it was okay and to be fair, it has been fine since. But, I won't be buying Banshee again as since I've had this issue I have seen one too many problems cropping up with Banshee's just outside of the warranty period.
    Hmmm, where are you in the world? I am in US and was more than pleased with the crash replacement discount I got. Maybe it's different country to country?

The prices for frames are great compared to other manufacturers IMO though - certainly counts for something. And given the company's size, I don't expect them to offer a great lifetime warranty - maybe I'm being easy on them?

That all said, the really really good warranty guys like Santa Cruz or Ibis, you know the ones that not only have the lifetime warranty but really stand behind it? They're catching my eye more and more. Buy once cry once type of deal....

What? There's more?
    Banshee and Jenson responded immediately and are taking care of it based on a few photos. Stuff breaks. If I break the replacement swing arm in a few years, I'll weld it up, counterbore the hole and put a bolt through
    it. Might give it just a bit more support there. I will buy a new Banshee when this one is a smoldering heap of slag. Great bikes at a reasonable price from good people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Banshee and Jenson responded immediately and are taking care of it based on a few photos. Stuff breaks. If I break the replacement swing arm in a few years, I'll weld it up, counterbore the hole and put a bolt through
    it. Might give it just a bit more support there. I will buy a new Banshee when this one is a smoldering heap of slag. Great bikes at a reasonable price from good people.
    Clearly the US support is better than the UK. You are quite right. Stuff does break, but a lot of 2016 rear triangles seem to have gone in the same place over a similar timeframe. As I said, it's a shame because the way the bikes rides is great. I've just lost faith given the issue isn't a one off and the UK distro doesn't look after you and yes I did then recontact banshee directly but they just said that whatever the UK distro said goes. So, given all of that I'll ride the frame until either it breaks or I have the money to build something new.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldn't take this crack too seriously. Based on Keith's statement I have been riding m Rune with the exact same failure for almost a year now. I even removed the whole tube, because it caused a very annoying screeching sound....

What? There's more?
    Ahmen, brother. I like the bike so much, if it craps again, i'll weld it, counter-bore it, and ride it to dust. The rest of you lot can have your Yetis and Pivots. If Guerrilla Gravity would license the KS link, then maybe I'd be tempted, but...

What? There's more?
    Spoke too soon. Banshee was right on it and shipped the replacement to Jenson, but Jenson fell flat. Two months later, they've still not sent the part, nor will they answer emails. Call their customer service and they will inform you that the warranty department can ony be reached by email, and won't take calls. Jenson should review my purchases over the last ten years so can fully appreciate what they've lost.
    Anyway, Banshee says the bike can be ridden in spite of that crack, so I took a hacksaw to it and removed that tube. Rides fine. If the swingarm ever shows up from Jenson, I'll send it back to Banshee.