Prime - seat post and shock tune- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Prime - seat post and shock tune

Hi all,

Finalising my Prime and wanted to know what the max insertion length for a dropper is for an XL frame? I can't find the info on the banshee website but I could be being usess!

Will also be running a CCDBairIL, does anybody know the base time for the prime? Came creek no longer have it on their site.

Ta muchly.

mtbr member
    Can't help you with the new ones, but I have a pre-production original XL from 2013 and I can easily fit a 150mm 9point8 FallLine post in it with about an inch under the collar and the new ones have a shorter ST by 1.3". If it's any help, the measurement from the centre of my BB to top of saddle is 32.25" running 175mm cranks. Just pushed the regular post I have on it now in as far as it would go and it went down just a bit over 11", so take away the 1.3" for the newer model and that's about 9.7"/245mm. Fairly sure someone else will chime in who owns the new one.

No clue on the DB Inline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks for the info. Did the dropper still actuate when pushed down that far?

I've tried to get the info out of banshee but had no response from either email or website contact forms

I really don't know why it isn't on the website as it is a critical bit of info these days!

mtbr member
    Yeah, absolutely no issues what so ever with actuation, could probably slam it all the way to the post collar without any issues, but have since transferred it onto my Unit as that's my main ride these days, so can't check. Liking the pureness of the rigid running 29+, I have to be the one making things happen vs something like the Prime that's not too fussed on line choice

Quote Originally Posted by Sidlaw View Post
    Thanks for the info. Did the dropper still actuate when pushed down that far?

I've tried to get the info out of banshee but had no response from either email or website contact forms

I really don't know why it isn't on the website as it is a critical bit of info these days!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've a current XL, and I'm running a 170mm One Up post. I could drop it all the way down to the collar and still works. I'm about to get one of their 210mm models.

mtbr member
    I checked an old post I made when building up my 2017 XL Prime and on my early production model had 263mm. With my 34" inseam I couldn't fit my 200mm 9point8 in stock form, I had to drop it to 185mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Great, thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I contacted Banshee about their XL Phantom and it was all crickets. In contrast I contacted Evil bikes and they could tell me the max. Insertion and took it a step further by giving Dropper specific min / max figures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I did get a response from Banshee:

"For seat post insertion, I donít have a Max insertion spec to share unfortunately. However in 99.9% of situations riders on an XL frame can easily use a 150mm post."

Not the most helpful. You would think they would have precisely those measurements to hand. Or at least be able to get them.

Having built it up and measured I think the max insertion depth, including actuator is ~270mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    FWIW I can confirm that a 170mm PNW Bachelor fully inserted works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have a 9point8 200mm Fall Line in my XL prime. I think it canít quite insert the entire post but itís close. Maybe 20mm or less from the collar? I am 6í4Ē so I still have the collar ~30mm from the frame.

Itís the only way to go if youíre tall. I had a Rockshox Reverb 150mm and it felt very restrictive. Iíd be curious if the Bikeyoke dropped fits well too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Gafoto, funny you ask about Bikeyoke. I have a 2016 XL Prime that I bought a 160mm Bikeyoke Revive for, and I don't think it's going to work, well at least at the height I need it to be. It works fine if I keep around 2-3 inches between the collar and clamp, but when I lower it to where I need it, which is about an inch, the cable or mechanism seems to get stuck and the post won't stay down. What's weird is that the post will slide all the way down to the collar, but something is getting in the way inside the frame. I spent way too much time last night trying to get it to work. Ugh...

Sucks because I bought it so I could slam it down further than the 125mm post I've been running. Now I've got to swap out the crappy 160mm Reverb I have on another bike, which is dying, with the Revive. Bums me out, both the incapability and having to deal with setting up a Reverb again. Really wanted it to work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, after spending way too much time trying to get it to work last night, got on here after last post. Turns out you can turn the mechanism at the bottom of the seat post and I did that and it worked! Hell ya! Best thing about it is that there's less than an inch between the collar and clamp, which is exactly what I was looking for. That being said, I don't know if a 185 would work on a '16 frame. Just so y'all know.