Prime 29+ reviews- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Prime 29+ reviews

Looking to get some input pros n cons I'm really close to buying a prime frame also looked at the phantom too. Thabks

mtbr member
    Not sure about reviews, but there's quite a few threads with some feedback from owners, just need to look down the forum a bit

http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes...ut-939538.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes...d-1040438.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes/prime-1031750.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Off the back...
    I don't know that I can squeeze a 29x2.8 in the back of my 2017 Prime, but I'm pretty sure a 2.6 will fit, and a 2.8 will very likely fit in the MRP Ribbon fork. If I can find some tires to test, I'll do it.

mtbr member
    You need the 650B drop outs to run proper PLUS tyres on the Prime & Phantom.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I don't know that I can squeeze a 29x2.8 in the back of my 2017 Prime, but I'm pretty sure a 2.6 will fit, and a 2.8 will very likely fit in the MRP Ribbon fork. If I can find some tires to test, I'll do it.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    So I'd need the short drops? Most I've read says long to fit 29 2.8

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobike200 View Post
    So I'd need the short drops? Most I've read says long to fit 29 2.8
    The dropouts are compact or long, and the long dropout is needed for bigger tires.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    What do you have on yours that you don't think they would fit?

Here, diagonally!
    Iíve run 3.0 Dirt Wizards on the Prime. It is important to note that the Prime is not a true 29+ bike where you can just throw on any 3.0 tire even with the long dropouts. I got some rubbing on the stays with the 3.0 Wizards as the side knobs stick out a quite a bit. I donít know if the 2017 stays are any wider, but it doesnít appear they are.

The Prime is Godzilla with the big tires - it kills big chunk. Ultimately the 60tpi Wizards were too slow for me in the speed department. But as far as the handling, traction, and rollover of a slack all-mountain FS 29er, itís pretty sick.

Whatís great about the Prime is that it will easily take up to a 29 x 2.8 tire, and you donít get stuck with a jacked-up bottom bracket like most other bikes. You can put the dropouts in the low setting, and also the long dropouts lower the rear down to compensate for the larger tires. Iím not aware that there is any other AM/FS bike out there that will let you run a 29+ tire much less get the BB down where it needs to be.

We are finally starting to get some 2.6 29er tires. Iím currently running 2.6 Nobby Nics and loving them. With the 2.6s, the standard dropouts give plenty of clearance. They are fast, handle well, and have great rollover. I donít want to go back to 2.35s. As more 29er 2.6 to 2.8 tires come out, Iíll be trying those on my Prime as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    That's awesome great info I have a 2.6 nn up front now and love it

mtbr member
    I have 3.0 Minion DHF front and rear on my Prime...they seem larger than the Dirt Wizards...not much clearance in front (Fox 36 - had to take off fender) and rear.

I don't have much riding time on it...I do believe the rear tire is rubbing more than the Dirt Wizard was.

I'm running Scwalbe Procore on Roval carbon fatties, pretty low pressure (around 19 psi; I weigh about 245 lbs suited up), not sure if that is contributing to the rub.

I could take some pics of tire clearance if you want me to.
    Ď20 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp (27.5+/29+)
    Ď19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    I have 3.0 Minion DHF front and rear on my Prime...they seem larger than the Dirt Wizards...not much clearance in front (Fox 36 - had to take off fender) and rear.

I don't have much riding time on it...I do believe the rear tire is rubbing more than the Dirt Wizard was.

I'm running Scwalbe Procore on Roval carbon fatties, pretty low pressure (around 19 psi; I weigh about 245 lbs suited up), not sure if that is contributing to the rub.

I could take some pics of tire clearance if you want me to.
    Yes, please.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    This past weekend out riding I seen a guy unloading a 2017 prime with 29 2.6 it was perfect and a XL and he let me take a little rip on it bike is sweet! Need a frame now lol

mtbr member
    Front tire was rubbing too much in the 36...had LBS swap the 36 to my Riot and put the 150 Stage on the Prime.

How much air in the Procore inner tube really can affect tire clearance.

Boy do those 3.0's make the 2.5's look thin.

Gonna take it out for a ride tomorrow.

Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro

mtbr member
    You managed to fit the DHF 3.0" in there? As someone who's recently gotten one for the front of my rigid, to say I was impressed and blown away by it, is an understatement, the thing is big and the knobs are MASSIVE, nearly double the size of a regular 2.3" DHF. Let us know how it rides for sure, think this will be some interesting reading. Hope you don't get yourself in too much trouble with that monster truck

If it was me personally, I would only tool that thing around the yard/street, or on some very mellow flat trails at not too high speeds, clearance in the fork between the arch and tyre is just not even remotely enough if the tyre picks up a nice size rock (like those big knob tyres like to do) and the front wheel comes to a screeching halt sending you on your way doing your best Superman impression. I think that B+ is a much better option, still get that monster truck thing, but with loads of clearance so you don't have to worry.

Front tire was rubbing too much in the 36...had LBS swap the 36 to my Riot and put the 150 Stage on the Prime.
    How much air in the Procore inner tube really can affect tire clearance. Boy do those 3.0's make the 2.5's look thin. Gonna take it out for a ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You managed to fit the DHF 3.0" in there? As someone who's recently gotten one for the front of my rigid, to say I was impressed and blown away by it, is an understatement, the thing is big and the knobs are MASSIVE, nearly double the size of a regular 2.3" DHF. Let us know how it rides for sure, think this will be some interesting reading. Hope you don't get yourself in too much trouble with that monster truck

If it was me personally, I would only tool that thing around the yard/street, or on some very mellow flat trails at not too high speeds, clearance in the fork between the arch and tyre is just not even remotely enough if the tyre picks up a nice size rock (like those big knob tyres like to do) and the front wheel comes to a screeching halt sending you on your way doing your best Superman impression. I think that B+ is a much better option, still get that monster truck thing, but with loads of clearance so you don't have to worry.
    So far in about three hours of riding, I had two rocks get stuck in the tread and were making a clicking noise when they hit the fork crown...I just stopped and knocked them off.

I would expect the crown to knock off bigger rocks...don't want to go OTB...wonder if I should find a larger rock and test it.

You really need a boost fork for that tire...but that means buying a new fork, new hub, etc...I would like to know if this tire will fit in the new 29 boost forks.

I don't know how I was able to ride that tire in the 36 (14 psi in outer and 50 psi inner..when I put more air in both the tire had no clearance).

I'm running it around 21 psi with 65 psi inner...might try dropping a few psi and put the inner around 50 psi and see how that affects clearance and rubbing.

The Roval carbon 35 mm fatties maybe aren't the best choice since the front wheel has only 24 spokes...have not pushed it hard cornering yet.

It's not rubbing as much as I expected...probably used 95 percent of fork travel and 87 percent of the rear (from g-outs)...can probably run a little more sag in the rear.

I'm not sure yet when/where the tires rub...I'm going to leave them on the bike.

I'm getting some warbling noise...I assume that is the slx brakes...they were making a lot of noise with 2.5's...replaced rotors...not sure if sometimes the pads aren't releasing when they should.

It's fun to be able to experiment...I'm lucky enough to also have a Riot and Enduro 29 to ride...running 2.5's on those.
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh? On my initial ride on mine on my rigid, I started out around 12 PSI and ended up stopping and letting air out a couple times on the ride, when I got back home and check the pressure, it was sitting at 8 PSI. I'm running mine on a Velocity Dually45 (39mm inner) taped to created a bit of a bead shelf, but no where like my WTB rims and had no issues, did one quite fast rutted, gravel road descent where I hit 25mph, that day I weighed about 175lbs geared. Think you should try dropping your pressure, a good bit, the casing on these things is really quite burly.

FYI, @ 8 PSI mine measures 75mm at the widest tread, casing 73mm.

So far in about three hours of riding, I had two rocks get stuck in the tread and were making a clicking noise when they hit the fork crown...I just stopped and knocked them off....................I'm running it around 21 psi with 65 psi inner...might try dropping a few psi and put the inner around 50 psi and see how that affects clearance and rubbing.

It's fun to be able to experiment...I'm lucky enough to also have a Riot and Enduro 29 to ride...running 2.5's on those.
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-30-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Here, diagonally!
    3.0 DHFs with Procore? If that's not bombproof, I give up! I think it's safe to say that the possibility of rim strikes has been eliminated. Really wish they'd make that tire in a 2.7 or 2.8.
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    How much do you weigh? On my initial ride on mine on my rigid, I started out around 12 PSI and ended up stopping and letting air out a couple times on the ride, when I got back home and check the pressure, it was sitting at 8 PSI. I'm running mine on a Velocity Dually45 (39mm inner) taped to created a bit of a bead shelf, but no where like my WTB rims and had no issues, did one quite fast rutted, gravel road descent where I hit 25mph, that day I weighed about 175lbs geared. Think you should try dropping your pressure, a good bit, the casing on these things is really quite burly.

FYI, @ 8 PSI mine measures 75mm at the widest tread, casing 73mm.
    I probably weigh about 240 lbs suited up.

The battery is dead on my digital calipers...I think mine are a tad narrower on 35 mm rims...maybe 72 or 73 mm at the current psi.

I put on the 120 tpi versions since I have Procore...I plan on trying lower pressures outer and maybe higher pressures inner to see how it affects traction and rubbing.

I think I read in the Procore site that outer can be .8 bar (11.6 psi) to 1.5 bar (22 psi), and the inner chamber 4 bar (58 psi) to 6 bar (87 psi)...I also read where someone cracked their carbon rim with too much psi (over 90).

The only other 29+ tire I've ridden was Dirt Wizards with Procore, might have been running around 14 psi (don't remember what inner pressure I had) and I had a thin fender on the 36...but they were too slow rolling.

I checked my Garmin...I'm not a fast rider...my max speed was 26 or 27 mph last weekend.
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    3.0 DHFs with Procore? If that's not bombproof, I give up! I think it's safe to say that the possibility of rim strikes has been eliminated. Really wish they'd make that tire in a 2.7 or 2.8.
    Me too, would try to put them on my other bikes...
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro

Here, diagonally!
    I probably weigh about 240 lbs suited up.

The battery is dead on my digital calipers...I think mine are a tad narrower on 35 mm rims...maybe 72 or 73 mm at the current psi.

I put on the 120 tpi versions since I have Procore...I plan on trying lower pressures outer and maybe higher pressures inner to see how it affects traction and rubbing.

I think I read in the Procore site that outer can be .8 bar (11.6 psi) to 1.5 bar (22 psi), and the inner chamber 4 bar (58 psi) to 6 bar (87 psi)...I also read where someone cracked their carbon rim with too much psi (over 90).

The only other 29+ tire I've ridden was Dirt Wizards with Procore, might have been running around 14 psi (don't remember what inner pressure I had) and I had a thin fender on the 36...but they were too slow rolling.

I checked my Garmin...I'm not a fast rider...my max speed was 26 or 27 mph last weekend.
    Ok this is interesting. I too ran the DWs (in 60tpi form) and found them very slow. Were your DWs 60tpi or 120 tpi? I was thinking the 120tpi DWs would be faster. I'm wondering if the Minion 3.0s might be worth a go for my upcoming trip to Whistler. Also, may I ask the internal width of your rims? I'm currently running i35s.

mtbr member
    I'm running the 120 TPI 3c/EXO as well. Despite being the 120 TPI, just like it's smaller sibling, it is the toughest of Maxxis offerings running it, casing is very stiff, wouldn't want to know what the 60 TPI is like.
    I probably weigh about 240 lbs suited up.I put on the 120 tpi versions since I have Procore...I plan on trying lower pressures outer and maybe higher pressures inner to see how it affects traction and rubbing.

Here, diagonally!
    I've read that the 60tpi dual compound is supposed to roll better. Also it is only 60g heavier for a 29x3, so based on that I would think the casing should not be significantly stiffer. Don't really know though.

mtbr member
    Wasn't really worried about the little more weight, just wanted the 3C grippier compound as this is for the front and only care about grip. Mine weighed 1130g, so quite closed to advertised weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I've read that the 60tpi dual compound is supposed to roll better. Also it is only 60g heavier for a 29x3, so based on that I would think the casing should not be significantly stiffer. Don't really know though.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    pretty stoked just order my frame! So excited to build this bike

Braaap
    Nice! What did you decide on?
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.