Possible crack?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Possible crack?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Possible crack?

Possible crack?-buggered-bike.jpgI think my Spitfire has a crack

Last edited by teethgrinder; 04-22-2018 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Doesn't look serious. A little gorilla-tape and it should be as good as new. Try to keep that great slack headtube angle if you can!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I need a close up, and get some light on it as it's very feint. Might just be the laquer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Phone camera isn't very good. It 'could' be a sticker...
    Possible crack?-carackwhore.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That'll buff right out.

mtbr member
    Sizable crash then?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Not as bad as it could have been, luckily.

IPA tester
    Autozone or Pep Boys have Bondo that should fix that right up. Be riding in about an hour
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Bad landing??

mtbr member
    Fvck me What happened? Hope you're OK? From the "sounds" of your post you are, but never can tell if someone's hit their head too hard and gone delusional
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Tuesday night, Hamsterley (UK trail centre). Section 13 ('red' graded but not difficult in the least) – first of the two bomb-hole-type-things near the end. I think the weld at the brace (a known weak point from what I’ve see on here) failed on compression at the bottom, then the rest of the down tube sheared off after compression getting over the top. I suspected something happened as there was quite a loud ‘crack’.

Obviously, the down tube sheared, the top tube folded, the head-angle went to a Geometron-shaming 45 degrees, and the chain ring dug into the ground stopping the bike immediately. I carried on over the bars and went OTB to the right, landing on my hip (slight bruising) and my elbow (Race Face D30 pads are quite useful).

I then had a 2 mile push back to the cheeky layby where I parked (not to dodge the parking fees, though. I have a volunteer pass) with the pedals clashing off what seemed like every small rock.

Thing is, I wasn’t really going that fast or ‘sending it’ over all the jumps and drops. I was actually feeling a bit ‘Meh’ at the time. Thinking about where it happened, I guess I’m quite lucky it was where it was. Higher up the trail or somewhere like Pike’s Teeth and it could have been a ride to hospital.

Might not be too clear from the photo, but the sheared edges have two different surfaces. The top at the edge of the brace weld is relatively smooth, and the rest of the circumference looks as though the tube has been pulled apart.

TL;DR I was just riding along, really.

Rent this space for $
    I call bullshit.

That was clearly the work of a mad girlfriend.

You could sell that on craigslist, Bro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I call bullshit.

That was clearly the work of a mad girlfriend.
    My wife better not hear about that 'theory'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Holy smokes man! Do you suspect it's possible the crack had developed on that weld before this fateful ride? And that this ride was just the one that did it in? May explain why it seemingly happened on a not-send-to-11 type of ride?

I also cracked a V2 Spit at that weld last year FWIW.

Rent this space for $
    Just riding along and....

Clearly an open/shut warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Just riding along and....

Clearly an open/shut warranty claim.
    Down tube is certainly open. Don't think shutting it will do much good, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love the MacGyver'ed water bottle mount. Looks like you ruined some zip ties.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The bottle mount is an old IS-PM mount (front 160mm) I think, with another M5 hole tapper. 2x M5 bolts Loctite'd in place. Never lost the Fabric bottle with that set up, unlike the standard mushrooms.

EAT MORE GRIME
    not sure about it

try some magnaflux
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    everyone checking their V2 welds right now lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    So...
    Seems like Banshee via Ison (UK distributor - original shop closed) will only go 50% RRP on a crash replacement. Their reasoning on this is that although the black frame above is a 2016 and was less than 24 months old at the time of the snappage, it was itself a warranty replacement for the original Spitfire bought in Feb 2015; that one was out of alignment at the back end.

I can understand this, but really, for a bike marketed as 'the downhiller's trail bike' on the 2016 website archive page - and I am by no means a DH rider, a frame like the Spitfire really should last longer than 22 months without catastrophic failure. Only by good luck it snapped where it did on the trail and didn't cause severe injury.

So, £825 for a replacement Spitfire (or £875 for a Rune) is an awful lot - arguably too much for a frame with only a 2 year warranty and a history of failure (granted on the <2017 frames). Luckily, accidental damage cover on my pedal cycle insurance came to the rescue. Now I have a deposit for a Hope HB160, and it should be delivered in 4-5 weeks. Along with a lifetime warranty.

I really enjoyed the Spitfire, but after a test ride of the HB160, I was hooked. Being a Hope fanboy, it's the perfect replacement, and I am fortunate to have a spare Cotic Bfe hard tail to use in the mean time.

Norðwegr
    What, they're saying that the warranty on the replacement frame (2016) started with the frame it replaced (2015)? That's a cop out if I ever saw one.

Check the consumer laws in the UK, where I live warranty etc gets reset if the item is replaced and the above [as I understood the post] would be illegal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sadly, in the UK the warranty runs from the date of the original purchase.

Sucks, that the frame failed so catastrophically, but it is what it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    What, they're saying that the warranty on the replacement frame (2016) started with the frame it replaced (2015)? That's a cop out if I ever saw one.

Check the consumer laws in the UK, where I live warranty etc gets reset if the item is replaced and the above [as I understood the post] would be illegal.
    I just went through this with Banshee in the US. I thought it was a fair policy.

2015 April - buy 2015 frame
    2017 April - get 2016 warranty replacement (free)
    April 2018 - crash replacement (~45% of MSRP - same price for any model/color)

Otherwise a 2-year warranty can very easily become a lifetime warranty, right? Idk, I can see your point I guess. Based on other's experiences with warranties though, I am totally a fan of Banshee. It's been very quick and easy. The horror stories I've heard of Trek and Yeti, etc...nope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I totally understand the policy. I'm just fortunate insurance covered the full cost of a frame.

Just now, I'll be getting a bike where the frame has a lifetime warranty.

But...given the issues with Spitfire frames at the brace, it looks like it's a known weak point, especially now there isn't a brace there.
    I
    And to be clear, original shop closed down which is why I went via Ison. I only had comms with them, not Banshee.

Anyone need a my16 rear end, dropouts etc? 26 and 27.5, and upper and lower Ks links?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Well, this better not crack like the Splitfire