Pivot play?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pivot play?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Pivot play?

Stripped down my 2014 spitfire today, greased all the bearings and cleaned it up. One thing I noticed was a small amount of play in the top main frame mount when I stuck the axle back in on its own. I did this specifically to check for tolerance as I have been chasing down a mystery creak; there wasn't much movement but it was definitely not a tight fit. Once everything is torqued back up then I can't feel any play. Is this something to be concerned about and might get worse or are they all like this?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the shock mount on the down tube or the top mount for the rocker on the seat tube? Personally I'd grease it up good and torque to spec and then if your creek is gone then check on it, but honestly wouldn't worry too much as everything has run out tolerances and if you get one part on the low side and one on the high, then you'll get play and getting parts both close to each other is hard - talking bolts to bearings/bushings. I've always found a bit of play in the shock mounting hardware, but it's gone once you torque down to spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The top mount for the rocker on the seat tube. Now that I've done a scan I can see its the same one as discussed here (although nowhere near that bad): http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes...r-1006634.html

Went for a three hour ride this morning and it was much improved, but annoyingly started creaking again for the final 5 minutes. I might try some anti seize on the shaft.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Double check that there is no damage to the pivot washer (No. 54 in attached exploded diagram). This is the designed failure mode to cope with overtightening or overload in that location (washer is cheaper to replace than an axle)

KS link explode.PDF

If the washer has been deformed or punched through from over tightening then it will no longer work as a surface to tighten pivot against. The ID of the washer should be smaller than the head of the bolt, and the back surface should be flat except for the step to press on inner race of the bearing.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks. The ID of the washer is smaller than the head of the bolt but the back surface is very slightly deformed. I had to hold it just right in the light for you to see this and when held sideways against a steel rule it is almost flat (we must be talking 0.1mm or less delta). I have confirmed that its only sitting on the bearing inner race and nothing else, the step is still there so none of the outer race is in contact.

I didn't know this part was sacrificial, but that makes sense from what you've said. However I've only ever tightened it a couple of times and with a torque wrench on each occasion. There is no wear on the axle itself and no visual evidence of rotation after a ride, so I don't think the axle itself is turning at all. The bearings are all good too.

I don't know, maybe its a minor issue, but I wan't to keep things sweet for as long as possible as a really like the bike!

Pivot play?-img_20170130_211235461_zpstgbcutq9.jpgPivot play?-img_20170130_211149688_zpsot3ejozw.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Was worth checking, your washer looks like it should be fine. make sure everything is clean andbe liberal with grease. if there are no marks on the axle then it is very unlikely that the axle is movng in the frame at all.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks

Tmh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Would be nice if Banshee would provide better way to source these frame parts. Good example is Commencal Store where you can purchase all small frame parts separately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    it's coming... been working on it for a while now
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Tmh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good to hear! Hopefully it will be available for the European customers also.