Phantom V3 ride reports?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Phantom V3 ride reports?

Anyone riding a Phantom V3 yet? It's on my short list of new frames and I am looking for some real world input.

mtbr member
    Best review so far https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...-Reviewed,2835

In short, it rips.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Best review so far https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...-Reviewed,2835

In short, it rips.
    I'm starting to believe that the VitalMTB guys are the only ones who have ridden a V3 Phantom. I am a little surprised at the dearth of ride reports on this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    After about a seven year hiatus from the forums, and giving up on Turner making another DW Flux, I recently purchased an XL Phantom V3. I'm assembling this week in my spare time with Eagle drivetrain and MRP fork. When the trails dry out here in KC, in a week or so, I'll report back.

I'm a tall guy who loves quick, short travel 26ers, but I've passed middle age and chose the Phantom for its geometry (I'm getting too old for endos) and hopefully pedaling efficiency, along with the brand being 'the little guy' and its principals activity on the interwebs like Dave Turner (I'm a recovering DW and Turner Homer). I'm not looking forward to the added 29er weight compared to my XC bikes, but I'm hoping I can adjust my style to accommodate.

Anyway, I'm back because Pandemic, and Mike from Banshee.

G.

Edit: can't figure out how to post a photo. Page not displaying well on my Samsung.
    Last edited by Gringo; 04-18-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out how to post a photo.

shy of 60
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    After about a seven year hiatus from the forums, and giving up on Turner making another DW Flux, I recently purchased an XL Phantom V3. I'm assembling this week in my spare time with Eagle drivetrain and MRP fork. When the trails dry out here in KC, in a week or so, I'll report back.

I'm not looking forward to the added 29er weight compared to my XC bikes, but I'm hoping I can adjust my style to accommodate.

Anyway, I'm back because Pandemic, and Mike from Banshee.

G.

Short travel 29ers are great.....depending were you ride, and given how great bikes are these days, you will not be disappointed! I came from an old fully rigid trek with v-brakes about 8 years ago, to a kona process 111 - crazy fun bike. Phantom was on my list at the time. Let us know how you like it.

I 2nd the little manufacturer concept, as my current ride is an alloy smash.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ...

Maybe this works:

Phantom V3 ride reports?-20200416_190338.jpg

I'm living in the 'Show Me' state now.

I hate technology, but subscribe to the internet ideology that if you don't have photos, if probably didn't happen.

G.

mtbr member
    I've been on a V3 for a few weeks now, coming from a Ripley V4.

Never really got on with the Ripley on the descents. So far the Banshee is much more confidence inspiring on the fast stuff.

The Ripley obviously feels more spry on the ups, but I'll take that trade of for a more neutral feeling in the air, faster cornering and tons more of frame stiffness.

I have a Manitou Mara Pro on it right now with a DVO Jade incoming tomorrow. I was worried the Jade X reservoir wouldn't fit width-wise.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    The Ripley obviously feels more spry on the ups
    Is this just because the Ripley is lighter? Or do you feel that it is due to DW vs. KS2 link? Or a combination of both?

mtbr member
    Double post.

mtbr member
    I think some of it can be attributed to the lower weight, and some to the DW. After riding the Phantom the Ripley feels "fragile" if that makes any sense. I'll charge into obstacles with the Phantom that would cause me pause with the Ripley.

Ripley V4 DW feels more supple on the small stuff, but also blows thru travel much more easily.

Overall I much prefer the Phantom after riding them back to back multiple times. Not to mention the brushed alloy is a unicorn nowadays in carbonland.

I'm probably going to slap some 29+ tires on at some point just for giggles.

mtbr member
    Look what we have here...

Also, just picked up a set of 27.5+ wheels to try out.

Anyone running a plus setup?

AOK
    mtbr member
    How are you keeping that piggyback from contacting the frame? Or is there more room in the shock cage than the angle of the picture indicates?

AOK
    mtbr member
    After riding the Phantom the Ripley feels "fragile" if that makes any sense.
    On one hand it surprises me that you would call the V4 Ripley fragile. I have never seen a V4 Ripley in person, but own a Ripmo. Given the similarities between Ripley V4 and Ripmo frames, I figured the V4 would be pretty solid.

On the other hand... I can see how pretty much any bike may feel a little fragile in a direct comparison to a Banshee. The two Banshees that I have owned have been SOLID.

I'll charge into obstacles with the Phantom that would cause me pause with the Ripley.
    I think that my old flo yellow Prime was the king of all bikes that I have owned in this regard. It was really good at ye olde "that looks sketchy, wonder if I can make it?" maneuver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    On one hand it surprises me that you would call the V4 Ripley fragile. I have never seen a V4 Ripley in person, but own a Ripmo. Given the similarities between Ripley V4 and Ripmo frames, I figured the V4 would be pretty solid.

On the other hand... I can see how pretty much any bike may feel a little fragile in a direct comparison to a Banshee. The two Banshees that I have owned have been SOLID.

I think that my old flo yellow Prime was the king of all bikes that I have owned in this regard. It was really good at ye olde "that looks sketchy, wonder if I can make it?" maneuver.
    You hit the nail on the head, comparatively speaking it feels fragile .

I've yet to own a frame that's as rock solid as a Banshee.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    How are you keeping that piggyback from contacting the frame? Or is there more room in the shock cage than the angle of the picture indicates?
    It's the angle, there's plenty of room for the reservoir.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Interesting observations. I could make a similar comparison between the Ripmo and the Titan.

I'm not sure "fragile" is the word I'd have chosen, but thinking about it, it makes sense.

The Ripmo (and the new Ripley) are fine bicycles. I've argued that, for many folks, the Ripmo might well be the perfect bike. And then you ride the Titan in proper terrain and it's a world more solid. And fast.

For reference, I'm off the Ripmo, same build, onto the Titan.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Done with the build and bed the brakes today. I have two initial observations from riding around the neighborhood. I'm so glad I purchased the XL frame. I'm looking for the 'in the bike' feel, and the XL barely gets me there. The second observation is about the weight and comparisons to lighter bikes above. I agree with stout. As-is, this bike is not a sprinter for me, and I need to practice getting the front end up before I try any drops for sure. But here's the thing... I can't believe I'm saying this... it does pedal on climbs like a lighter bike. It's about 6 pounds heavier than my DW Turner Flux 26er, half of that is probably in the wheels and tires.

Phantom V3 ride reports?-20200422_132209_compress84.jpg

XL 26er Flux vs XL 29er Phantom

G.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Height, inseam and ape index?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    It's just keeps getting better and better.

I can't recommend the coil enough for this bike, really brings it alive.

...In the meantime.
    If anyone is wondering the DVO Jade X coil does fit this frame...and it's amazing! As others have said "this bike rips'

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilBkr View Post
    If anyone is wondering the DVO Jade X coil does fit this frame...and it's amazing! As others have said "this bike rips'
    The Jade X DOES NOT FIT the Titan or Rune (65mm stroke).

Can you post a picture of the shock on the Phantom fully compressed for confirmation?
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    75in (6'3"), 35.5in, +0 (neutral ape). Fit, 175 pounds, middle aged.

Getting some wrist pain, but very little trail time with things staying wet around here.

Bar and saddle position almost exactly the same as my old DW Flux. Maybe it's why I put Ergons on that bike. I don't remember. Going to move the saddle back a little and find some new ergonomic grips.

I'll probably go Ergon again unless someone has another suggestion.

G.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    75in (6'3"), 35.5in, +0 (neutral ape). Fit, 175 pounds, middle aged.

Getting some wrist pain, but very little trail time with things staying wet around here.

Bar and saddle position almost exactly the same as my old DW Flux. Maybe it's why I put Ergons on that bike. I don't remember. Going to move the saddle back a little and find some new ergonomic grips.

I'll probably go Ergon again unless someone has another suggestion.

G.
    Sore wrists tends to be a sign of weight being too far forward (or in my case, too many years of DHing and wrists are a bit wrecked) Either way, adjusting your weight off your wrists just slightly should help. Best way to do this is to raise bars (use rides bars) or shorten stem. Rider bars work especially well if you are tall.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Do these 27.5+ tires make me look fat?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looks nice. I really want to try that.

Looks like summer before trails dry around here.

G.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to testing it out possibly tomorrow.

These are the smallest diameter wheels I've had in 10 years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Interested to see how the coil feels. I'd imagine the bike wouldn't feel very poppy anymore but feel super composed on the chunk!

mtbr member
    I had a chance to try the coil last week, I'm sure some of the ramp up is gone but I didn't notice much difference in getting some air on small features. Definitely an improvement in terms of composure, traction and even climbing for me.

Somewhat curious and nervous about the 27.5+. I figure I'll either love it or hate it.

mtbr member
    So I got the first ride in with the 27.5+ setup today. Pedal strikes didn't seem to be an issue today although the trails were fairly buff. I'm running a 130mm Pike up front and I'm in the low geo setting with 165mm cranks.

Seems to accelerate a tad better, jump a tad better and tuck and corner a tad better. Some of that I'm sure is placebo effect and some due to the smaller diameter wheels and lower BB.

Overall a positive experience. Heading out for another ride tomorrow with substantially more climbing, so we'll see how long the honeymoon lasts...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences with the phantom v3!
    At 185 cm (6'1) with negative ape index (2 cm) I don't know If I should go for an XL or follow the Banshee recommendation (size L).
    At the moment I would go for size Large with 50 mm stem. Hope to demo an XL soon.
    What size would you choose considering your experiences with the bike so far?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you are not older like I am and reluctant to go over the bars, I'd go Large in your case. You may even decide you don't need as much reach as you think.

Another way to put it is that if I was in my 20s, I'd better enjoy the Large. Being just past middle aged, I like a little extra bike in front of me, and the ability to ride through a few obstacles I may otherwise dance around.

Of course, YMMV.

G.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks for your considerations.. I am 36 btw. Cornering and balance on the bike between front and rear ist what I am looking for. I hope that the rear centre matches the front centre in size Large, too.

...In the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    The Jade X DOES NOT FIT the Titan or Rune (65mm stroke).

Can you post a picture of the shock on the Phantom fully compressed for confirmation?
    Phantom V3 ride reports?-20200503_093858-edited.jpgPhantom V3 ride reports?-20200503_093942-edited.jpg

Here we go, Jade X (sans coil) extended and fully compressed. Note this is on the V3 Phantom and is 185x50mm. The Jade X may not work on other V3 bikes due to the reservoir contacting the frame before full compression.

mtbr member
    I'm sure being a 50mm stroke is the answer. Glad that I've got a Phantom even more so now

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A ride report:

In a nutshell, my XL Phantom delivers on its promises. At speed it is super stable, the suspension is active and supple, and it's confident in steep descents.

Keep in mind my transition is from a steeper, smaller and more nimble XC oriented 26er, to a longer, slacker 29er, with nearly identical reach. Compared to my XL DW Flux (with 120mm Magura Durin Marathon), the rear suspension seems more progressive on the Phantom, not quite as supple, and it also seems to bob more during pedaling. I'm still looking for the perfect setup, but I can tell I'm really going to like this bike.

I may not have found the sweet spot for sag yet, but when just below 15mm (rider weight about 180#), it floats pretty nicely and IMO ramps up quickly. I was also able to balance things perfectly front to rear with the MRP Ribbon. I'm sure the 29er wheels and long wheelbase play a role, but I'm not going to try to analyze this if I can get the front and rear to work more efficiently over time.

I will try to decrease the sag a little and see how this changes pedaling bob and suppleness. I imagine a little less sag will improve both, I just hate how tedious it can be trying to get sag measured to the nearest mm.

I really like the MRP Ribbon Air. In my opinion Manitou had it right with the dual chamber Skareb years ago, and I'm really happy with it's performance. The Magura Durin has a platform adjustment that was really good and not intrusive, and I do miss that a little. I'm surprised and pleased with how little brake dive I have with the MRP. Maybe that's related to the HA or WB. I don't know.

Keep in mind that I also like to ride something different (better) than everybody else. Two (now three) of my biggest pluses are that it's NOT a Santa Cruz, NOT carbon fiber, and that the fork is NOT a Fox.

I'm still a ways from being totally confident on this bike, but finding a balance point so easily front to rear means my progression should be quick. I had a much harder time initially balancing the suspension on my Flux.

My $0.02.

G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phantom V3 ride reports?-20200510_150913.jpg  

Phantom V3 ride reports?-20200510_150929.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

I may not have found the sweet spot for sag yet, but when just below 15mm (rider weight about 180#), it
    15mm seems to be too much - remember, Banshee specs sag in relation to rear wheel travel, not shock sag. So for your (very nice, btw!) bike sag should be 11.3 - 13.0mm of shock compression.

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested in a DVO Jade coil for their Phantom, let me know.

mtbr member
    Thoughts on the Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate on the Phantom? In stock form, it's probably a lateral move, but there seems to be more aftermarket tune options with the Super Deluxe over the DPX2, but I could be wrong. And the MegNeg would be fun to tinker with too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I got a Phantom V3 as sort of a replacement to my hardtail. I love the bike, but it's almost too much like my 2019 Jeffsy coil with 150mm rear travel. I put on a DVO Topaz T3. It absorbs the small stuff really well and can take a big hit surprisingly close to the Jeffsy with a coil(I like to hit some decent drops and jumps). It bobs a bit but doesn't bog down. The long chainstays corner like a dream but unless you raise the stack height it's more planted than I expected. I'm 6'3 with 33" inseams and 50mm stem on an XL. The bike has great balance. It's pretty heavy and not the snappiest so it's not exactly a rocketship or big BMX. It's a rad bike that I don't have to tippy toe with a great balance of trail feedback and sendability. I just don't know who exactly it's for

mtbr member
    I would like to hear from any one who moved to a Phantom V3 from a Phantom V2.

I am looking for a comparison between the two. The change in rear travel is most likely very apparent but what about the rest of the ride quality/experience?

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: 2018 Shred Dogg-M

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88R View Post
    I would like to hear from any one who moved to a Phantom V3 from a Phantom V2.

I am looking for a comparison between the two. The change in rear travel is most likely very apparent but what about the rest of the ride quality/experience?
    I'm interested in the same thing. I noticed the v3 sizing suggests rider height of 170 or taller on the medium. I'm 166, a bit concerned it may be a little big for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quick question, how do I buy one without a dealer near me?

Braaap
    Where are you located? We ship across the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Demos and test rides are not as easy...
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Where are you located? We ship across the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Demos and test rides are not as easy...
    I feel a little weird asking...but has anyone ever mentioned your avatar is quite phallic looking? If it's meant to, bravo...I think it's pretty funny. That's all ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Anyone going long on the drop outs and running a 29X2.8?

I've been beating up a hardtail Krampus for a few years now, just put a 2.8 Rekon on it...

mtbr member
    I have long drop outs on my Phantom V2. I run 29x2.6 Maxxis Ardents. I got the long drop outs for 10mm extra tire clearance in the swing arm. I also really like the longer wheel base.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Got enough miles on my Phantom now that I'm starting to get a good feel for it.

Climbing wise the bike is phenomenal. Very comfortable seated position with the steep SA and longer stays, but also feels natural out of saddle with the reasonable reach. No, its not the lightest bike in its category but its also not the heaviest (my build is around 30-31lbs w pedals). That said the bike accelerates well, and has pretty much no discernible pedal bob, even with the sag on the deeper side of the recommended range. I leave the shock (dpx2) fully open at all times. Overall the suspension has a firm sporty feel while still providing traction when climbing techy stuff. Goldilocks for me

The bike felt so good climbing out the box I was a bit concerned about its descending, but I quickly realized there was nothing to worry about. The bike is incredibly balanced thanks to the dialed geo, yet still maintains short travel precision. I wouldn't say the bike feels like it has more travel than it does, but the suspension never hangs up and tends to skip over bigger hits that 115mm cannot absorb, and I have yet to experience a harsh bottom out even after hitting some mid sized flat drops and jumps. Frame seems to be very well constructed, the rear end feels as stiff if not stiffer than my 170mm enduro bike without being harsh as some aluminum frames can feel when paired with carbon wheels.

My only slight complaints about the bike is that the tire clearance is pretty bad with the short dropouts, and while I would swap them out for the long ones I feel the chainstays are already a bit on the longer side for a bike like this.

Sorry for writing a novel but I'm just amazed by this bike, it blows the other short travel 29ers I have ridden out of the water (Tallboy3, Tallboy4, SJ ST if anyone wants a comparison). This is my first Banshee but it certainly wont be my last

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

My XL Phantom, 6'5" for reference

Build:
    Nextie rims laced to dt350 hubs
    Xt 11speed
    Zee brakes
    Oneup 210mm dropper
    Fox 34 rhythm, soon to be replaced by Pike
    Enve DH bars
    Deity 50mm stem
    Specialized Butcher 2.3F, Eliminator 2.3R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phantom V3 ride reports?-phantom.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Awesome review taiki, good to hear that the reviews of the frame are well founded so far!

Onto a slightly different side of things, does anyone regret getting the color of the frame they got?

Trying to see if I like the red decals on the raw or prefer the black anodize but can't really decide as I did initially want the raw with black/blue decals but unfortunately that does not exist for the Phantom

mtbr member
    I have long drop outs on my Phantom V2. I run 29x2.6 Maxxis Ardents. I got the long drop outs for 10mm extra tire clearance in the swing arm. I also really like the longer wheel base.
    Interesting, I'm on a V2 Phantom and compared to the V3 on paper, one thing that stands out is V3 gets a longer wheelbase. My size medium has 1150mm, on V3 that grows to 1200 - 2 whole inches. Since reading that I've been trying to imagine what a longer wheelbase would feel like. If you use longer dropouts to increase wheelbase, I guess that would just be adding to chainstay length - how much does it add, and how does it feel?

Notably there is no change between V2 and V3 chainstay length - so those two inches must all come from longer front-center measurement.

In the interest of protecting my pocketbook, I've convinced myself I like the short wheelbase for maneuverability but I've had nothing to compare it to (recently sold a hardtail that had 1150 WB too).

mtbr member
    Some context:My frame is a Large, I have a 140mm Fox 34 Fork with a -1 Works Component Headset.

My wheel base is about 1196mm and my seat stays are about 453mm. That puts me at the V3 medium wheel base, with longer seat stays than any V3 model. There are several things that have increased my wheel base: -1 headset, long fork and long drop outs.

The long drop outs are 10mm longer that the ones that came with the frame.

I have a Fox DPX2 shock running the stock rear travel: 105mm

I rode the V2 Phantom like this on the 2019 BCBR. I had no issue climbing and downhill was very controlled and confidence inspiring. This is my dream setup. I really like it.

So for not much money you can try out a longer wheel base with the long dropouts and see if it works for you. This is another reason I really like Banshee. The frame is somewhat "tuneable".

I seemed to have pre-empted the V3 changes (except increased travel) with my rear shock, long drop outs, -1 headset and longer travel fork. I am not yet convinced that I need to replace my V2 with a V3.
    Last edited by Rocket88R; 4 Days Ago at 05:48 PM.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leejohnh22 View Post
    Awesome review taiki, good to hear that the reviews of the frame are well founded so far!

Onto a slightly different side of things, does anyone regret getting the color of the frame they got?

Trying to see if I like the red decals on the raw or prefer the black anodize but can't really decide as I did initially want the raw with black/blue decals but unfortunately that does not exist for the Phantom
    I have the raw/red. I have never been a fan of red bikes, so I would have preferred raw/black like the Titan. Having said that, the red isn't that big of a deal in the end. The decals don't dominate the look and the red/raw combo is growing on me. It helps that the Phantom rides great and is a really fun bike. Fast always looks good.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiki View Post
    Climbing wise the bike is phenomenal...

Overall the suspension has a firm sporty feel while still providing traction when climbing techy stuff....

...the rear end feels as stiff if not stiffer than my 170mm enduro bike...

My only slight complaints about the bike is that the tire clearance is pretty bad with the short dropouts...
    Great review! I have had many of the same thoughts while riding my Phantom. I guess I need to sit down a write my own review at some point.

mtbr member
    Some context:

I rode the V2 Phantom like this on the 2019 BCBR.
    !!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Bought a medium Phantom frame and discovered the max seat post insertion is only 190mm! Something to be aware of when buying. 1st world problems I know but that aint good.