Phantom Suspension Setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Phantom Suspension Setup

The Banshee Forum has been a little quiet, so I thought Iíd start a conversation....

I sent my Double Barrel Inline back to Cane Creek, and my new DB IL is being delivered today. The Base Tune says to use 1 large volume spacer, but when I spoke to Cane Creek, they told me with this new shock most people arenít using any volume spacers at all, with the exception of Ibis Mojoís.

Is anyone running the DB IL on their Phantom? Are you running any volume spacers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm running one spacer in mine and 230psi
    I weigh 225#

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wncunderground View Post
    I'm running one spacer in mine and 230psi
    I weigh 225#
    Did you ever try it without the spacer? If you did, were you just blowing through all the travel?

And Iím 180 pounds, I forgot to put that in my original post. Just trying to decide if I should try it without as shipped, or add it to begin with.

Here, diagonally!
    I'd try it without the spacer first since that is how it arrives. In that case I'd suggest starting with the sag at the minimum recommended setting. See if you like it or if it's wallowing or bottoming more than you like. Then try with the spacer, maybe a bit more sag, and less HSC and see if you like that better.

I think it's hard to answer this across the board, because everyone likes something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'd try it without the spacer first since that is how it arrives. In that case I'd suggest starting with the sag at the minimum recommended setting. See if you like it or if it's wallowing or bottoming more than you like. Then try with the spacer, maybe a bit more sag, and less HSC and see if you like that better.

I think it's hard to answer this across the board, because everyone likes something different.
    Thanks, man! Sounds like a good plan. I was hoping a bunch of guys would speak up and it would be obvious what to do....😀

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There may be differences in air chamber volume between the old DB Inline (grey shaft) and the newer DBAir[IL] (black shaft). If the new model has a smaller air can, would make sense to run less spacers.

I have the older one and use 1 large spacer. Tried all kinds of combos and landed on the following.

Recommended 11mm sag.

LSC is at Banshee/CC recommendations. I've experimented with more LSC to improve pedaling but I went back to more active factory setting.

HSC is slightly more than recommended to deal with big hits.

HSR and LSR are slightly slower (personal/terrain) preference.

Unless you're really light or really heavy, I don't see much need to deviate from the recommendations. Most shock/frame MFRs optimize around a 170-180lb rider.