Phantom sizing question for Keith and other phantom owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Phantom sizing question for Keith and other phantom owners

Hi

I test rode a phantom last week and was blown away by it - by far the most exciting bike ive ridden in a long time - the problem is I really want one but am unsire on sizing....

Im 6ft tall with a 32 inch inside leg

the phantom i test rode was a medium - unfortunately there wasn't a size large to compare it to...

According to the size reccomendations on the banshee site im at the top end of the medium frame but could also go for a large

So can anyone who has ridden both comment regarding frame difference in terms of the ride postives/ and negatives -

I really liked the medium I tried as it seemed very playful whilst carrying loads of speed - if I sized up would I lose some of that playfulness of the medium frame?
    Also as I tried it around a trail centre there wasnt any steep / techy stuff which I spend 50 percent of my riding time on - would a size large be any better on steep turns - or less manouverable ?

any thoughts or advice appreciated
    thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'd say you're a large. For reference, I'm 6'2" on an XL with a 40mm stem and I find the fit to be perfect. I ride a lot of rocky steeps in Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    186 cm here and very happy on a large Frame - I think you are a large as well but if you liked the medium frame I wouldn't worry too much.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am 182cm - just on the edge of sizes. I have large frame, with 35mm stem and I found it as perfect combination.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    6ft... definitely a large. Go the large and if you like a shorter cockpit, run a shorter stem if needed.

I'm 6ft... run a large Phantom with a 60 mm stem.

mtbr member
    6'2" with kinda short arms on a large w/ 60mm stem. I think you'd be happy on a large too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    6ft on a large with 34in leg. 50mm stem 785mm bars and inline post. I can only compare to a medium spitfire, it was perfectly rideable but the large phantom is definitely the right size for me.
    Last edited by shackleton; 04-01-2015 at 02:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would recommend a large with short stem unless you have a real prefferance for shorter bikes.

Do you remember how long the stem was on the medium you rode? Knowing this will help you plan your build.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks for all the replys guys..
    the concensus seems to be to go for the large - the frame i tried had a 50mm stem on it so could go for a large with a 30mm stem to keep a similar toptube measurement

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Also remember that the seated length can be fine tuned by headset spacers, bar sweep and rotation and saddle position. Lots of ways to tweak your ride.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam. I'm buying a large. A 585mm ETT on the medium is very short.

mtbr member
    What bike did you have before, what was the Reach measurement and did you like the fit? How long a ride did you do on the Medium? If it was only a quick ride, then it may have seemed real nice, but on an extended ride with more pedaling and climbing it may not feel so great. I'm in the same camp as the rest, think a Large with short stem would work for you, but I also sized down when I switched from my Prime to Phantom

I have long arms and legs (35.25" inseam) for a 6'2" guy and was pretty happy on the XL Prime, but the XL Phantoms Reach measurement was even longer than the production version and mine was a pre-production with shorter Reach. Right now I run a 65mm stem and 785mm wide bar and setback Thomson post on my Large, can definitely feel the nimbleness I gained from sizing down. FYI before the Prime I had an XL Paradox with a Reach of 448mm and the Large Phantoms Reach is 450mm, so almost a perfect match and I liked how the XL Paradox was and fit. Have the XL Prime stripped down to eventually get refinished and rebuild it and when I do I'll be going with a 45mm stem. Hope some of that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by strawdogg View Post
    Hi
    I test rode a phantom last week and was blown away by it - by far the most exciting bike ive ridden in a long time - the problem is I really want one but am unsire on sizing....
    Im 6ft tall with a 32 inch inside leg
    the phantom i test rode was a medium - unfortunately there wasn't a size large to compare it to...
    Any thoughts or advice appreciated
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Digging up an old thread
    I'm 5'11" with a 32.5" inseam not sure to go Medium or large
    I'm currently on a medium Satori 600mm ETT, 417mm reach with a 75mm stem
    In the past I had a Large Cannondale Rush - it was too big with a 625mm ETT but with the lefty 100mm stem

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Large. It's shorter than Rush and you certainly won't be running 100mm stem.
    FYI I'm same height as you and i ride a large Rune V2 with 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    I'd say if you think you can get along with a possible 40mm stem, then a Large should work fine. 5'11" puts you right in the Large fit field according to Banshee, but some people like smaller bikes. I just actually re-built my XL Prime with a 45mm stem and it seems a bit strange tooling around the street (never ridden a stem shorter than 65mm), but will know how it is once I get some trail time on it tomorrow. Weird thing is that despite the 3" longer WB on the XL Prime compared to my Large Phantom, it doesn't feel any less nimble just toolin around on the street, but we'll see once I hit the tight and twisties on the trail how it compares - to be fair I never felt too hindered in tight stuff on it before, just never could seem to get the front controlled on r eally fast, loose stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt View Post
    Digging up an old thread
    In the past I had a Large Cannondale Rush - it was too big with a 625mm ETT but with the lefty 100mm stem
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt View Post
    Digging up an old thread
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I bought an ex demo Phantom, size large (top spec). Whilst I fitted on the bike fine, it was very much an XC position. The reach was too much for me even with a 50mm stem. I couldn't handle it in the same way as my large Ripley or medium Niner ROS9 so it went back. If I could have got the same deal on a medium I would have taken it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I recently test rode a phantom medium (the only size available) with a 70mm stem. The bike felt definitely too short. Now I'm questioning whether I should go for a L or an XL, since the bikes are intended to use with a shorter stem (+/- 50mm).
    If I would pick the large and use it with a 50mm stem the reach would only be 10mm longer than the bike I rode which doesn't seem much of a difference.
    Standover won't be a problem on either bike since I am 187cm ((that's almost 6'2") with an inseam of 91cm (35.8").

mtbr member
    Same height as you, 1/2" shorter inseam and matching long arms and I run my Large with a 65mm/6* stem, flipped and a 15mm low rise 785mm bar, could not go any shorter on the stem, so if you want to use a shorter stem, then I'd suggest going for the XL. How was the saddle position for you, was it far enough back? Me personally like my saddle quite far back, prob a couple centimeters behind KOPS, so have to use a setback post, this may allow me to fit the Large easier than someone who likes to pedal closer to over KOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by hurck View Post
    I recently test rode a phantom medium (the only size available) with a 70mm stem. The bike felt definitely too short. Now I'm questioning whether I should go for a L or an XL, since the bikes are intended to use with a shorter stem (+/- 50mm).
    If I would pick the large and use it with a 50mm stem the reach would only be 10mm longer than the bike I rode which doesn't seem much of a difference.
    Standover won't be a problem on either bike since I am 187cm ((that's almost 6'2") with an inseam of 91cm (35.8").

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I can't remember if it was a normal or setback post, but the saddle position felt ok.
    Since you own this bike do you think the handling would be better with a longer stem on a shorter tt, or a shorter stem on a longer tt?
    A few years back people always recommended a smaller frame for better handling but with these frames with a 'new' geo (longer, lower) I'm not sure if that's still the best option.

mtbr member
    Was waiting to get some time on my new experiment before commenting on this. Just recently rebuilt my pre-production XL Prime, which has a 472mm Reach and 48.5" WB, I built it up using a 45mm stem and 785mm bar, using same setback post and saddle from my Phantom. I have not been on a bike or done any exercise in 3 weeks and have not ridden the Prime in just under 1.5 years and back then I used a 65mm stem with 785mm bar. Have managed 2 rides back now after the 3 weeks off, first was a relatively XC ride with some tech thrown in and the one I did today is on a trail I have ridden hundreds of times on various bikes, so I know it well, it is a flowing/up-down and pedally type trail with some good tight tech mixed in. The first ride reminded me of just how much of a tank/plow machine the Prime is, just point and go, it'll monster truck over nearly anything. The ride today with the tighter stuff did not leave me wanting for anything, had no trouble what so ever with a 1.75" longer WB, none what so ever, in fact notice easier ability to stall when needed and with the 45mm stem it carved through all the tight bits.

I will have a better picture of the handling of the XL prime after this weekends ride, and better yet when I once again go on the same trails on the Large Phantom, but my initial thought is the XL with a 40-50mm stem is prob the right choice and will not hamper you in tight stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hurck View Post
    I can't remember if it was a normal or setback post, but the saddle position felt ok.
    Since you own this bike do you think the handling would be better with a longer stem on a shorter tt, or a shorter stem on a longer tt?
    A few years back people always recommended a smaller frame for better handling but with these frames with a 'new' geo (longer, lower) I'm not sure if that's still the best option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for replying. I did some thinking and made the decision that a Prime will probably suit my needs the best. Sizewise I think the XL will indeed be the best fit. I'll just wait a while to see if there are some deals to be made when the 2016 models will be announced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

5,7 feet (176cm) - size M?

Hello
    I'm 5,7 feet. Definitely medium?
    A large with extra short steam can ork as well or I shall go for an M without doubts?
    Thanks
    Paolo

mtbr member
    At your height, I'd say Medium, but all depends on your flexibility, the types of trails you'll be riding and if you like bikes like the Geometron. FYI, I'm 6'2.25" and I ride the original Large with a 70mm stem and 785mm wide bar, at 7" shorter just can't see a Large working for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bertello80 View Post
    Hello, I'm 5,7 feet. Definitely medium?A large with extra short steam can ork as well or I shall go for an M without doubts?
    Thanks
    Paolo