Phantom pivot kit and shock hardware...can you help?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Phantom pivot kit and shock hardware...can you help?

Hello. Looking to source phantom shock hardware. I would even be interested in purchasing a pivot kit (with axles).

Seems like all the pivot kits I can find do not have this one bolt included/pictured...see below.

The stock version of this keeps coming loose on my Phantom frame. blue loctite didn't really do the trick. Is this as simple as sourcing a new bolt assembly from the hardware store?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Look up Ethan at Dirt Merchant Bikes in Colorado. I've gotten both the full pivot kits and the shock bolts from him before. Last I talked with him, he had a good stock of all that stuff.

mtbr member
    Appreciate that tip. I will give him a ring.

FM
    mtbr member
    The original hardware uses a split lockwasher in addition to the lock-tite. You should be able to get a replacement at any good hardware store I think. That split lockwasher is what keeps it from loosening up.

mtbr member
    Thanks FM--

I went to the hardware store last night. Running two washers (did not go with a locking washer as i was fearful to gouge the mount on the frame). I ended up with a longer steel bolt, two washers and red loctite. Hope that solves it.

Or...maybe i have been thinking about this wrong the whole time...the bolts is never really loose...but I can spin the shock mounting hardware if I use an allen key...like the whole shaft spins. No side to side play. is it OK to have it spin...I just don't know, but would appreciate input. I come from a rigid SS background...so a lot of this is new to me.

Thanks!

Braaap
    The shaft should tighten up when using a 5mm hex on each side. The washer needs to be on the shaft side, not the bolt side. It shouldn't loosen easily, the rotation should be handled by the shock's bushing. A drop of blue lock tight should be enough.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.