Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting

Hi, I recently bought this Banshee frame. I really like it. I think it's a Pyre 2007, but not sure (maybe someone here knows?).

Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting-1.jpg

It uses bushings (as opposed to bearings) in the pivots. The frame came with a set of new ones (They are called Igus) which I have installed.

Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting-2.jpg
    Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting-3.jpg

Bushing installed.

Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting-3a.jpg

Igus bushing.

Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting-4.jpg

Mounting: Long axle / nut from one side, bolt on the other.

Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting-5.jpg

When nut / axle is fully in, there is a gap left of approx 1mm here, between nut and frame.

Old Banshee frame pivot not pivoting-6.jpg

The problem: When I tighten the bolt to a "fair" amount, say 6nm, the pivots rotate really poorly. I have to go back to around 3nm to get comfortable rotation.

Could I be missing some parts?
    Last edited by nrwgnBlue; 01-31-2018 at 12:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The bushings took a few rides to bed in... they will never rotate as freely as bearings, but are a much lighter option... plus when you build the bike up and your weight goes on it it's not that noticable and will only get better.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So I don't appear to be missing any parts? Banshee couldn't supply a manual for the suspension assembly. My understanding is that the bolt should be tightened until it connects with the nut / axle, but by the time this happens, the pivot hardy rotates. It's like the nut / axle should be longer. Otherwise I'll have to keep it loose at around 3nm, which seems wrong..

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am building a rune V1 (around 2008-2010?) and it is very similar except seat tube support.

anyway, I can help with torque settings, it's 5 NM for all pivots except the main pivot (bottom seat tube) which is 6 NM.
    as builttoride said, mine also are stiff set up to this torque which is not much at all. note you should apply thread lock to these bolts.

I got from banshee the maintenance instructions in PDF but they are too large for uploading to the forum.
    as far as this, any ideas are welcome, but torque is key.

hope this helps,
    Avi

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks AviE. I'm not sure if my frame is working out. I'm currently working on some washers to compensate frame wear and reduce play in the pivots. (Apparently there was some custom wear washers made by Banshee for this, but I haven't been able to get them.) Even if I get that solved though, I'm still not happy with the suspension design. I've read meters of forum info / fighting about these pivot issues now. One guy called the design some "mickey mouse s**t", and I cannot help but agreeing with him a little.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I read more about the rune which gets very good feedback. IF you can get over the maintenance issue...

Regarding the wear washers, banshee were actually quite responsive and helpful through the contact us page on their website. Ask them for the material and get those in the diameter of the pivot in need. If they don't know, since people changed there as I understand, just use delrin or similar low friction material. I would guess IGUS could also help on that with material similar to the bushing. Or you can cut a bushing if all else fails...
    I am happy to say I at least have a new frame.

I can't really comment on the mickey mouse issue :-) except saying don't take everything on the web as absolute truth.

Hope I helped a little
    Avi

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've been in touch with Banshee. I agree that their response / service is pretty good. But if they have those wear washers, they're keeping them a secret :/

Thanks again, though. And good luck with your project!