Official Darkside Thread - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    I seriously thinking of building up a Darkside and/or Legend and would love some sizing advice. I'm 5'10", 30" in-seam and currently ride a medium Spitfire with a 50mm stem and 800mm bars and it is pretty comfortable. Which size Darkside (and/or Legend) would you recommend? I'm guessing a medium but all the reach vs ett length is having me second guess myself. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    I seriously thinking of building up a Darkside and/or Legend and would love some sizing advice. I'm 5'10", 30" in-seam and currently ride a medium Spitfire with a 50mm stem and 800mm bars and it is pretty comfortable. Which size Darkside (and/or Legend) would you recommend? I'm guessing a medium but all the reach vs ett length is having me second guess myself. Thanks!
    If you feel good on medium spitifre you'll be fine with medium darkside. I'm 5'10 as well on medium darkside, and I know I could go with large as well. May be for a race machine like a Legend you would be better with Large. Depends on how you like your ride & trails you ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey, guys (and girls),
    can any of you make a comparison between a Darkside and an IH Sunday? Interested in what are the differences in geometry and suspension feel between them. I'm no longer riding the Sunday the way a true DH bike must be ridden, i'm going more and more to enduro and park-riding. I find the IH a good-pedaller, is the Darkside better at this? And what is the frame weight actually as i can't find a 100% sure info on this?
    I'm 5'8'/171-172cm tall and am on an M size Sunday which was perfect for me in every situation (gotta admit i have a -3 angleset up front which shortens the cockpit several mm). But i kinda feel it a little short when standing on the pedals - don't know if this means i find the reach too short. What size Darkside would suit my needs - M or L?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Frame Bumpers

Some information for those that might need it one day. I lost one of the integrated frame bumpers on my Darkside. I emailed Banshee and they said they don't keep a stock of those and to contact ODI. I contacted ODI and they said that these
    ODI GRIPS - NEW! BMX PUSH-IN PLUG - Accessories - MTB
    were the same SKU as the integrated bumpers. I ordered a pair to test them out. They fit into the frame more snugly than the originals and are slightly longer. They also seem to be made of a much harder rubber compound too. They might not be an exact match, but so far they seem ok.

Off the back...
    I was riding in Whistler [YEAH!!!!!] a couple of weeks ago, and somebody kindly pointed out that I was bottoming the stock 350# spring on the takeoff on jumps. Swapped in a 450# spring over lunch and WOW, I was getting a tonne more pop, and with no negatives anywhere else. One more click of rebound damping was enough to keep me from getting nose-heavy on jumps. I'm 76kg plus gear on a large Darkside. Question to the group: how many of you have gone to a stiffer spring, and what did you go to? Notes on your weight and what sort of riding you do on your Darkside would be welcome. TIA
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

svj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Has anybody had problems with the rear axle coming loose? I put red loctite on it and it still comes loose after a half day at the park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by svj View Post
    Has anybody had problems with the rear axle coming loose? I put red loctite on it and it still comes loose after a half day at the park.
    Are you running the stock axle? All of the trail bikes have the same rear axle setup, so this shouldn't be restricted to a Darkside.

Personally on my Spitfire for 2+ years I've never had the rear stock 12x142 axle back out. No loctite on mine either. You have the lock nut on the drive side right?

svj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Are you running the stock axle? All of the trail bikes have the same rear axle setup, so this shouldn't be restricted to a Darkside.

Personally on my Spitfire for 2+ years I've never had the rear stock 12x142 axle back out. No loctite on mine either. You have the lock nut on the drive side right?
    Stock axle with lock screw. I can usually hear it make a ping sound when it comes loose on a jump landing.

J:

Good job!

Hey there. Looking to build up something with at least 8.5" shock for 2018, just starting to gather info...saw the 7.5 lbs figure on the '17 site (dang that's pretty good), how much does the large frameset weigh in??

EDIT* Also, realistically how tall or what size/range fit the large? tia
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    Hey there. Looking to build up something with at least 8.5" shock for 2018, just starting to gather info...saw the 7.5 lbs figure on the '17 site (dang that's pretty good), how much does the large frameset weigh in??

EDIT* Also, realistically how tall or what size/range fit the large? tia
    The large Darkside is almost exactly the same size as the medium 2012 Norco Aurum I used to have. Even the geometry is close. I'm 5' 10". It's not a big bike compared to a current 200mm travel DH bike. I don't know the frame weight, but mine is 39 pounds including tubes, pedals, DH tires and a coil shock.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

Gloworm Lights
    Here's my sled!!!

Official Darkside Thread-2018-01-06-14.25.19.jpg

Official Darkside Thread-2018-01-06-14.26.05.jpg
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi everyone!

Anyone over 6" tall using Darkside in size M?

I am between 6" and 6"1' (184cm), and got my frame in size M for park riding. I am going to use it with double-crown fork and 26" wheels.

As I read this thread, I am getting an impression that size L is recommended to anyone over 6".

I respect stability at speed, but ability to move behind the rear wheel and to pull the frond end is probably more important for me. In the past I was mostly riding short bikes. Do you guys think I will be really cramped with M?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Looking to buy a darkside 2018 with boxxer rc and vivid rc2 for park flow trail with jumps and occasional tech trails. Debating between rocky maiden and commencal furious but banshee price is hard to be any thoughts reviews looks like 200f and 180r is perfect for me.
    Last edited by Ybsurf; 07-26-2018 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Also I'm just under 5'8" 175cm and debating between small and medium I think medium will fit better especially at speed but wonder how more nimble the small will be? At 165lbs is 350 spring rate is good on a vivid rc2 for me mostly freeride? Most darkside habs air shock is vivid coil is a good shock for it?

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ybsurf View Post
    Also I'm just under 5'8" 175cm and debating between small and medium I think medium will fit better especially at speed but wonder how more nimble the small will be? At 165lbs is 350 spring rate is good on a vivid rc2 for me mostly freeride? Most darkside habs air shock is vivid coil is a good shock for it?
    Medium will be a better fit for sure. The small is quite small. I was riding my Darkside last week in the Whistler bike park, and it was exactly the right bike for the job. It's easy to maneuver - one of my buddies even called it "nimble" as we were riding. 350 lbs spring might not be enough. At 170 lbs, I was able to completely bottom the shock when pre-loading for jumps. I went to the 450 spring and the ride improved dramatically. I went to an X2 air shock this year to get the extra adjustability.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Darkside rumour?

I've been enjoying my Darkside for a few years now. Love it. Had it single crown 180 and now boxxer wc. Still running 26 wheels. Considering the move to 27.5. Before I sink more money...Curious if any one has heard any rumbling regarding a new Darkside coming soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No changes coming soon, it's too much fun to change!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    great to know. And I agree!! I have over 100 rides on my Darkside and it never fails to stoke. Nice work Keith! Its time for new rims so Ill probably stop holding out and go 27.5 now and see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I recently switched my darkside from 26" to 650b wheels when I needed to replace rims anyway... it honestly doesn't have a huge affect on things, felt very similar to me, still has the playfulness factor!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    No changes coming soon, it's too much fun to change!
    What about an XL size for us tall people + making the STA 2 degree steeper? A 180mm bike riding up hill, increasing sag, makes that STA way to slack. I know its a park bike, but it would be be perfect for seasioning the local short technical and jump trails (with a ride back to the top).

mtbr member
    Hi guys, I'm riding the first generation of the Darkside, might have seen my pictures in the beginning of the thread. Due to various factors in my life, I only started riding it this year. I'm very much a beginner, I only do small drops and jumps, but even then I completely bottom out my dbair cs, no matter what I do with the settings, even with the compression dampening turned all the way up. If I put in more air, my sag isn't correct anymore. Any tips? Should I add an extra volume spacer or better to switch to coil? I weigh 90kg (198lbs) with gear on btw.

Also, I find that my nose dives a lot on jumps, could that be due to the low rebound dampening setting on the shock not being high enough? (haven't touched it yet)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Hi guys, I'm riding the first generation of the Darkside, might have seen my pictures in the beginning of the thread. Due to various factors in my life, I only started riding it this year. I'm very much a beginner, I only do small drops and jumps, but even then I completely bottom out my dbair cs, no matter what I do with the settings, even with the compression dampening turned all the way up. If I put in more air, my sag isn't correct anymore. Any tips? Should I add an extra volume spacer or better to switch to coil? I weigh 90kg (198lbs) with gear on btw.

Also, I find that my nose dives a lot on jumps, could that be due to the low rebound dampening setting on the shock not being high enough? (haven't touched it yet)
    Adding volume spacers should solve the bottom out problem for you by making the shock more progressive, so you can run correct sag without bottoming out. It makes a big difference. Return damping settings to base tune and use volume spacers to dial in progression to get that right for correct sag before fine tuning damping.

Regarding nose diving on jumps, make sure that your front and rear suspension feel balanced (push the bike hard into the ground and see if suspension front and rear reacts in an even and controlled way). Generally speaking you want the fork to rebound a bit faster than your rear shock. But also pay attention to how much they compress. A well balanced bike should feel balanced of jumps.

There are lots of good tutorials for basic suspension setup on youtube that you might benefit from.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just grabbed a DVO Onyx to use in my conversion to 27.5. The geo chart states that the Darkside's measurements are based on axel to crown of 565mm in both wheel sizes. Does this mean that my 27.5 fork with an a to c of 584mm will slacken out the geo by 1 degree approx. Banshee website shows completes with boxxers and the quick search I did shows the boxxer 27.5 at 581mm a to c. Are the Boxxers lowered somehow to maintain the geo? I ask because I dont want the bike to be slacker. Should I Just use a measuring tape and lower the dual crown until I achieve 565mm a to c?

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by han_slomo View Post
    I just grabbed a DVO Onyx to use in my conversion to 27.5. The geo chart states that the Darkside's measurements are based on axel to crown of 565mm in both wheel sizes. Does this mean that my 27.5 fork with an a to c of 584mm will slacken out the geo by 1 degree approx. Banshee website shows completes with boxxers and the quick search I did shows the boxxer 27.5 at 581mm a to c. Are the Boxxers lowered somehow to maintain the geo? I ask because I dont want the bike to be slacker. Should I Just use a measuring tape and lower the dual crown until I achieve 565mm a to c?
    Yes, you can drop the lower crown until it's at the axle-to-crown distance you want, but there is a limit to how low you can go! There should be a mark or line on the stanchions that indicates the lowest position the crown can safely be run at. If there's no mark, you'll want to check with DVO to see what the limit is. Too low, and the crown could hit the top of the tire at full compression, which would be bad.

I'm assuming that you are already running the dropouts in the high position and don't want to go slacker than that.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I pretty sure there is a mark for the lowest position on the fork, Ill adhere to that. thanks @pinkrobe. The wheel hitting the crown would be a disaster. Im running the dropouts for the lowest position and like it, which is why when switching to 27.5 i dont want to use the high position to compensate for the longer a to c. I prefer low for the bb height. But... I also don't think ill want a 1 degree slacker head angle. That would put it around 62.5. Curious if the dual crown users with 27.5 on the forum have considered this same thing? and also what Banshee does with their complete bikes sold in 27.5 .

Off the back...
    I'm running 650B in the low setting on a Fox 40 with 584mm A to C. It's no trail bike, but it doesn't feel like a slug either. Riding with friends at WBP, they remarked that my bike was "agile", although they might have meant that my riding was squirrely...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got the DVO onyx fork last night. Set it to the min. Crown height. Measured from center of the Axel to where the crown race will be. About 565 mm. I was surprised but also pumped. It's going to look sweet on the darkside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Final Stages of re build in process. I just recieved a Vivid R2c coil from a seller online. He said it came off a Darkside, but when it arrived I see it has a M/L tune. Earlier on this thread Keith suggested an M/M tune and it would seem Darksides are shipped with M/M tunes. How will this impact the performance? I am 190lbs riding Whistler. Will it not work well with the Leverage curve of this bike? Can anyone explain what the difference is? Ive looked online but find it confusing. Medium / Rebound and Low / Compression tune results in x performance?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Wink Lightest pedalling set up?

Official Darkside Thread-dsc_1803-2-.jpg

Hi everybody, let me share my winter pedalling set up: 13,940 kg (30,7 lbs?) with full travel 180 mm front + rear and propedal front + rear.

I have reach this target with a little bit of carbon (bar and saddle), light Fullcrum wheels with ultralight 10-48 cassette, but mostly thanks to the Formula 35 fork, the only 180 mm fork that weight 1,850 kg and have the idraulic compression block.

I know there are further 200 grams to cut with a finest crank, but surfing the web I haven't found any Darkside under 14 kg... Any chance this is the lighter set up around?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Hey builttoride hows it going? Iím new to this site so bare w me if Iím not posting right or asking something that has already been answered! Iíve been through the thread and found a few posts about my question, but wanted to get your thoughts on it too. Iím pumped to be building up a darkside for this season, but Iíd like to know if there will be a big noticeable difference running the 27.5 dropouts w 26Ē wheels? Iíd like the option to be able to switch between 26 and 27.5 w out swapping the dropouts every time. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for any insight!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    First of all it depends on the rim / tire combo, max tire size for 650b with 26" dropouts is probably 2.3-2.4" with a 30mm rim.. depends on tire brand also.

As you'd expect darkside feels a bit more nimble and easier to manual with 26" dropouts, and a bit more stable with 650b (although is still a nimble and fun bike)
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    First of all it depends on the rim / tire combo, max tire size for 650b with 26" dropouts is probably 2.3-2.4" with a 30mm rim.. depends on tire brand also.

As you'd expect darkside feels a bit more nimble and easier to manual with 26" dropouts, and a bit more stable with 650b (although is still a nimble and fun bike)
    hi builttoride, what you think about a setup with 650b front and 26 rear, too much slack?

Inviato dal mio SM-A320FL utilizzando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    what fork are you thinking of running?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    what fork are you thinking of running?
    i have a 180 lyrik 650b and both dropout kits (650b and 26), still running 26 wheel and now i have to change the tyre but i was wandering if would be time to swap to 650b and if there are so much differences between these format. i ride, in enduro session, an ebike with 29 front and 27,5 rear but i really feel the difference with the 27,5, will be the same also between 27,5 and 26...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    there is definitely a different, feel, but is not hugely dramatic.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    there is definitely a different, feel, but is not hugely dramatic.
    the cheaper way to try is start with front wheel, maybe with 26 rear wheel and 650b dropout in middle position i can keep a decent geometry.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    @builttoride when measuring the 20mm sag, do you recommend in the seated pedaling position or in the standing attack position?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For the darkside I'd say standing in neutral position.

Positioning for sag is always subjective, basically I look at it as the position that you will spend most your time in while riding the bike in question.

Also, don't ever just set sag and forget about it... it's adjustable and can be fine tuned to suit your preferences. For example 2 people set sag the same, one rides fast flowy jump trails, and one rides super steep slower tech trails. The super steep slow tech needs more sag than the fast flowy jump stuff as less weight on rear wheel and slower speed of impact.

Stay within a range (so darkside generally 25-35% sag, 15-22mm), and set shock up to feel balanced with the fork, while offering enough traction and bottom out resistance for the riding you are doing. (should never notice bottom out unless you have made a big mistake, if you feel bottoming out regularly then change your shock settings to be more progressive / less sag).
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks those were super helpful tips. Just finished building my banshee darkside as a freeride/enduro bike with a 170mm fork and 650B tires. Do you have a baseline setting for the Vivid R2C? I weigh 180lbs and the 400 lb spring gives me the perfect sag. Thanks again and any other setup tips would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hereís my 2018 Darkside Large with 170 mm Lyrik RCT3 fork and Vivid R2C shock, Raceface components and 175 dropper, Formula Cura brakes, Continental tires, Easton Heist/Nukeproof Horizon wheels, Ergon grips and saddle, Shimano drivetrain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Darkside Thread-93433748-9051-4eae-9ee6-13ade96566e7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No baseline settings, as it varies so much depending on rider and spring rate being used.
    There are a few options for simple tuning guides out there to help you get the feel you want.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks for the feedback! So for now, I think Iím gonna try and run the 650b dropouts w 26Ē wheels and see how that feels. It sounds like the bike will still be plenty fun w a little more stability which is perfect, I think, for what Iím looking for. Another question for you if you donít mind would be, what position would you recommend for the chips? Iím looking for a setup thatís gonna be fun all over the mountain. Itís primarily being built for the bike parks, so I donít wanna set it up for say just jump trails, I want to be able to also have it feel good in the techy gnar gnar stuff! Neutral position maybe? Thanks again for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, I'd suggest neutral, it' what I run my personal darkside in most the time.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Canít believe how well this bike climbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Darkside Thread-8783bb38-f4d4-49ae-98e0-4e6116fbf796.jpg  

Biking Like Crazy!
    Has anyone tried their Darkside with a 160 mm fork?
    I'm thinking of moving most of my parts over from my HD3 and it
    has a Push ASC3 spring kit in it at 160 mm.
    Thanks in advance.
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It should work. The BB is at around 13.9Ē with a 170mm Lyrik and the drop outs set in the middle and 27.5 tires. It should be better at climbing with the seat tube and head angles a bit steeper with the 160 fork. With the 170 fork, the head angle is at 64deg. My only concern would be the balance between the 160 front and 180 rear travel. You might wanna make the rear a little stiffer to have a balanced feel. It actually feels pretty darn good with a 170 fork. Iím so stoked about my Darkside, such a fun bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You can put the shock from a rune into the darkside and reduce rear travel to 164mm... is a great setup for park jump lines with a shorter travel fork.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Biking Like Crazy!

Cool-blue Rhythm

You can put the shock from a rune into the darkside and reduce rear travel to 164mm... is a great setup for park jump lines with a shorter travel fork.
    Thanks guys for the info. I do have 8.5X2.5 air shock already and have thought about that setup but would try the 180 mm rear and 160 mm front first to see how it runs. My knee get sore so extra rear travel wouldn't be the worst thing for me!
    But then again with the Rune I could swap all my Ibis parts over directly and still have 160 mm rear. Choices!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789