More Prime V3 reviews please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

More Prime V3 reviews please

Would like to hear more ride reports from Prime V3 owners. As a longtime Banshee fan I have own several V2 frames including the Prime. The Titan looks great and some exciting reviews but may be overkill for my trails. Currently on a Hightower LT but really like the V3 versions plus being able to fit a larger water bottle inside front triangle. My local trails are XC oriented but like some flowy and chunky stuff. I also go to Downy and N* 2-3 times a year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude View Post
    Would like to hear more ride reports from Prime V3 owners. As a longtime Banshee fan I have own several V2 frames including the Prime. The Titan looks great and some exciting reviews but may be overkill for my trails. Currently on a Hightower LT but really like the V3 versions plus being able to fit a larger water bottle inside front triangle. My local trails are XC oriented but like some flowy and chunky stuff. I also go to Downy and N* 2-3 times a year.
    I've had my XL V3 Prime for about 4 weeks now. Still waiting on volume spacers for the shock so the rear end is feeling average without these atm. However running a 140mm Mattoc Pro the bike overall feels very stable and but energetic if you give it some input. The balance I think is near perfect if you're after a proper solid trail bike that will take hits all day long without being concerned about weight. (15.3kg)
    The KS2 design with a trunnion shock makes for a nice small bump off the top of the stroke with the DPX2. It pedals really well have no isssue being on it for all day rides. Would highly recommend one in the Tint Raw colour I came off a Cotic Flaremax and the Prime is a little shorter but more agile and playful which i like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for your review. Itís like I already know these bikes rip and makes it so difficult to narrow down to one V3. Yikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    More Prime V3 reviews please-20200425_125123_copy_1024x768.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The raw looks insanely awesome!! By the way what size seat post are you using? I have a 210mm One Up Post I would be using and hoping I can slam post into frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For me my Prime V3 feels like a smaller Titan, especially when reading the reviews. For sure my setup with float x2 and 36 grip2 are putting this thing more towards the enduro end of the spectrum. Overall it is a very balanced and stable bike which tends to go wild

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice. Did your Prime originally come with a DPX2 and then upgraded to the X2? I prefer to X2 for more adjustments options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I bought the Frame only option so I was free to choose. I do really like the Float X2 for itīs adjustability.
    Here a quick pic - a better one will come when bike is final. Bike is not finished as I am waiting for my Microspline-Driver.

More Prime V3 reviews please-banshee-prime-v3-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    More Prime V3 reviews please-2efc0f27-fc82-46c7-b52e-13a9359e5bd2.jpgMore Prime V3 reviews please-c16f9d81-7e2f-4972-8c06-7e7ca3cb983d.jpg

Just installed a Box One Prime 9 drivetrain.... Coming off of a Phantom, this thing is super smooth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    How does the Prime perform on the mellow trails? Do you all notice a lack of pedal efficiency for flatter sections of trail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Are you coming off a v3 Phantom? If so, did you feel underbiked so upped to Prime? I am torn between those two plus the Spitfire ó which I have all the parts for already on my current 27.5 bike.

Also curious about bike fit ó I'm just shy of 5'10" (178cm) and looking at a large. Seems like most of the Banshee owners I've seen that give really rave reviews are taller riders on XLs

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeynets View Post
    Are you coming off a v3 Phantom? If so, did you feel underbiked so upped to Prime? I am torn between those two plus the Spitfire ó which I have all the parts for already on my current 27.5 bike.

Also curious about bike fit ó I'm just shy of 5'10" (178cm) and looking at a large. Seems like most of the Banshee owners I've seen that give really rave reviews are taller riders on XLs
    I was on a Phantom V1. I NEVER felt under-biked on my Phantom. I had it in Sedona, Moab, Retallack... pretty much everywhere. It was my favorite bike Iíve ever owned, and up until my Phantom I hadnít kept a bike more than 6 months in the last 20+ years. I went with a Prime just to try something different (I also have a Paradox V3 I REALLY like)

As far as size, Iím 6í2Ē with a 34Ē inseam and a Large (both Banshees) is perfect. Not to gush on Keith, but his sizing recommendations are spot on.

Hope this helps!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1Pilot View Post
    I was on a Phantom V1. I NEVER felt under-biked on my Phantom. I had it in Sedona, Moab, Retallack... pretty much everywhere. It was my favorite bike Iíve ever owned, and up until my Phantom I hadnít kept a bike more than 6 months in the last 20+ years. I went with a Prime just to try something different (I also have a Paradox V3 I REALLY like)

As far as size, Iím 6í2Ē with a 34Ē inseam and a Large (both Banshees) is perfect. Not to gush on Keith, but his sizing recommendations are spot on.

Hope this helps!!!
    Certainly does help. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Any comments on the Prime vs Titan?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Iíll have a comment or two soon.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Iíll have a comment or two soon.
    lol have you bought another frame or did you find a swap?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sold the Titan and bought a Prime. Should be here today.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Be interested in your review. Bought your Warden from you back in the day. Currently have a V2 Prime. Cheers J

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    @Blatant, very interested in your comments
    Last edited by mtnbikerdude; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:48 AM. Reason: Wrong spot

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Whaaaat, I canít wait to heard your review and reason for going from Titan to Prime

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sold the Titan and bought a Prime. Should be here today.
    What made go Prime since you mentioned several times wanting a Phantom?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Mostly because Iíve committed to just one bike for the foreseeable future. Mid-travel 29ers seem to do everything well. But, then, so did the Titan. We shall see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mostly because Iíve committed to just one bike for the foreseeable future. Mid-travel 29ers seem to do everything well. But, then, so did the Titan. We shall see.
    Throw a 27.5 on the back too if you have one to try.

I emailed Banshee about a mullet and they suggest using the Prime as a base over the Spitfire.
    Ripley LS v3

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wonít be building today since Fedex canít seem to deliver a box.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

I emailed Banshee about a mullet and they suggest using the Prime as a base over the Spitfire.
    I did that with my Phantom, granted it was a 29+ front wheel and 27.5+ rear.

Haven't had a chance to actually ride it that way, but I did enjoy it in full 27.5+ flavor.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'll leave this here ...

IMG_0836 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Looks Nice!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was thinking Stealth myself. J

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Damnnnnnnn, such a nice ride!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I'll leave this here ...

IMG_0836 by dbozman1173, on Flickr
    Is this size L or XL?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's a large.

I am Walt
    It's a large.
    Nice looking rig! First Large youíve been on in a while?

What possessed you to make this change, after being so enthusiastic about the Titan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No, the Titan was a large. Iím down to one rig for awhile and wanted to experiment with a more mid-travel rig as a 1-bike solution.

I am Walt
    No, the Titan was a large. Iím down to one rig for awhile and wanted to experiment with a more mid-travel rig as a 1-bike solution.
    Very cool; I'm always interested to hear your reviews!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm kinda gravitating to the 160/130 bike sweet spot. J

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    More Prime V3 reviews please-20200503_190229_copy_1209x1054.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

I emailed asking about running a mullet on the Spitfire and Keith said it would be better executed on the Prime. I was wondering though how much his suggestion is informed by rider size as much as geo. I'm 5'10" with a short inseam for my height of 30".

I've been looking at several large 29ers, but I've started to consider the Spitfire as well. I have everything I already need if I went with that frame. Anyone here ride a Spitfire and compare it to the Prime?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I emailed asking about running a mullet on the Spitfire and Keith said it would be better executed on the Prime. I was wondering though how much his suggestion is informed by rider size as much as geo. I'm 5'10" with a short inseam for my height of 30".

I've been looking at several large 29ers, but I've started to consider the Spitfire as well. I have everything I already need if I went with that frame. Anyone here ride a Spitfire and compare it to the Prime?
    I'll have to find my numbers and post them. As everyone else, too much time on my hands so I ran the prime w/ 27.5 rear wheel and spitfire with 29er front on a 140 fork through one of those geo calculators.
    I'm no expert, but the Spitfire seemed better to me except for the HTA.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Demoed a few bikes, ended up on a Prime without a demo. I owned a Phantom prior and was comfy taking the risk.

Stumpy had a SWAT box but felt kinda tall/tippy and pedaled like poo.

Ripmo pedaled better than the Prime but the handling is off. Hard to say why, just didn't like it.

Rimpo AF is a great value. Really heavy and frame quality is not great.

Occam I almost bought. Its probably the closest in feel to the Prime. I also like how you can buy a lower model and up-spec the suspension and wheels. Anyone who buys it would not be disappointed.

Prime is better than all of em. The raw is beautiful, corners great and it pedals well. Works with air and coil shocks. The team at Banshee answered all my dumb questions. I can run my 142 wheelset. Its a good bike from a good company.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just saw ur post for Prime for sale. What happen? Are u going to get another Banshee? Do tell

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Has anyone ridden both the Prime and the Revel Rascal enough to compare the suspension and geometry qualities?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    . I'm 5'10" with a short inseam for my height of 30".
    I have the V2 Prime. Same height and inseam as you, maybe a little longer inseam. But the long torso makes most bikes feel too short. The Prime felt bang on in Large with a 60mm stem. I gave the V2 to my son, planning on get the V3 and when I asked Keith he suggested I stick with the same size despite geo changes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    Demoed a few bikes, ended up on a Prime without a demo. I owned a Phantom prior and was comfy taking the risk.

Stumpy had a SWAT box but felt kinda tall/tippy and pedaled like poo.

Ripmo pedaled better than the Prime but the handling is off. Hard to say why, just didn't like it.

Rimpo AF is a great value. Really heavy and frame quality is not great.

Occam I almost bought. Its probably the closest in feel to the Prime. I also like how you can buy a lower model and up-spec the suspension and wheels. Anyone who buys it would not be disappointed.

Prime is better than all of em. The raw is beautiful, corners great and it pedals well. Works with air and coil shocks. The team at Banshee answered all my dumb questions. I can run my 142 wheelset. Its a good bike from a good company.
    Interesting and good comparisons. I bought the Prime V2 based on the general sentiment of Banshee owners I've met over the years or read on the internet. I was not disappointed. I broke my neck a few years ago and generally ride a little more cautiously than before. I ride a lot of different bikes but when I got on the Prime the difference was immediately obvious. Suddenly I had the confidence to launch off everything. Super composed yet playful, AND pedals great.

Interesting what you say about the Stumpy. I've always gotten along well with Specialized bikes. They seem to just fit me well and I like to ride aggressively and attack. Too bad they seemed to miss it on the last model.

I rode a 2020 Optic back to back with the V2 and I felt it was quick and liked to scoot - but I didn't find that it shredded the downs like the reviews say and it didn't feel as playful. I got back on the V2 and instantly felt like I could get the bike on its side and push again. Something about these Banshees that just works.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If anyone is in the market for a V3 Prime, ano Black, size large, hit me up. Will sell complete, frameset only or frame/fork. Listed on Pinkbike.

I canít explain, but the fitment is definitely different for me from the Titan and I would need to move to an XL to be comfortable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I saw your Prime v3 n the wheels in my head are spinning. Sorry to hear it didnít work out so will you be trying Phantom v3 or back to the Titan?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    @Blatant
    Sorry it didn't work out. Wheels in my head are turning too! I'm sure you will sell it easily enough - these are amazing bikes.

mtbr member
    If anyone is in the market for a V3 Prime, ano Black, size large, hit me up. Will sell complete, frameset only or frame/fork. Listed on Pinkbike.

I canít explain, but the fitment is definitely different for me from the Titan and I would need to move to an XL to be comfortable.
    Well I was thinking about a large Prime and comparing it with Titan's geo I wonder what fitment could be wrong.
    I'm presently on a v1 prime and at nearly 6',2" height, this is not a roomy frame, but I used it with great satisfaction for 7 years both in climbs (where you feel it's on short side) and speedy chunky and tech downs (where I find it just right)
    As I think you are just a bit taller than me and I was straightforward on a L v3Prime, your experience sound a warning chime.
    Curious to know what's wrong....if you'd like to explain.

mtbr member
    May 2020

am sorry that it does not work for you. Good decision to sell a bike that doesn't fit soon.

I am still torn between L and XL for the new Phantom at 6'1. I demoed Titan in XL and Prime (v3) in L. Felt the Titan was too big in XL (mainly in Corners), the Prime a bit too small in L (eben straight downhill).
    PS: i choose sizes by how the bike feels in trail position, not in seated.

mtbr member
    So in response to the request for more Prime v3 reviews...I have two weeks on mine. Midwest flowy and technical singletrack. Adjectives and observations:

Stiff
    Pedals very well, even with meaty tires
    Feels compact for a Large
    Heavy - even with carbon wheels
    Rear suspension performance is great, smooth - 160mm fork.
    LOVES to plow thru technical downhills
    You need good brakes
    Beefy - feels strong
    some pedal strikes - chips in low setting
    i have long dropouts, still very responsive, and front could be easier to loft

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks badgermtb.

Sounds quite a bit like the V2... except I wouldn't have said smooth for the rear suspension with the stock RS shock. Although it was pretty good with the DVO I swapped in. So that looks like a nice improvement. And I'm sure all the things I love about the V2 are there, just improved.

mtbr member
    I owned a v2. I think your statement is accurate. the v3 feels a bit bigger in terms of fit, which i welcome. The v3 is an improvement...more refined?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Did the V1 and V2 use the same rear travel leverage / path? Assume V3 is reworked and not just a shock location change.

Iíll probably have my V2 for a few more years, but Iím just curious about the rear travel comparisons of the three Primes.

V3 is slightly heavier?
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd