Monarch Plus Tune for Banshee Prime- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Monarch Plus Tune for Banshee Prime

I have a chance to get a Monarch Plus RC3 with debonair can for my prime. The shock has an MM tune. From what I can tell it is suggested to use a Low compression tune for the Prime. Would my ride be significantly affected with a medium tune?

For comparisons sake, I have a Monarch RC3 on my phantom with a low compression tune but I find I use all my travel every ride with 190lb and 3 bottomless rings installed in the debonair can. I don't often bottom out harshly on it, but the ring is almost always buried at the bottom of the stanction.

I weigh 175 lb and I ride very steep and technical terrain.

mtbr member
    I ride the M plus DA MM tune on my Prime and I tell you I wouldn't use a lower comp. setting, as suspension is bobbing enough full open, and is really sensible anyway. I'm 190 geared.
    if you want it more progressive you know already about volume spacers.
    Here anyway a very useful thread on how to tweak the shock to your needs, if you like to get your hands dirty.

FM
    mtbr member
    Chris, sorry I saw your other thread asking about this but I was on a riding vacation!

The L/L tune recommendation came from me, based on prototype testing. Basically, I bought a M/M tune RP23, rode that for a while, then sent the shock and leverage curve (from Keith) to PUSH industries. Keith and Darren suggested a light compression tune for my weight, and when I got the shock back it rode TONS better. I carried that shock forward from the prototype frame to a production frame and was very happy with it. I also tried an ELka coil with a M/M tune and found it to be over-damped.

I found the Prime, like all KS link bikes, to be an excellent pedelar. No bob with the L/L tune for me. If you're heavier or a masher, you might want more compression tuning.

Of course all that was based on the Fox RP23, the monarch tunes could be different. I generally find Fox tuning to be overdamped for my taste (currently running a FLoat x2 on a Rune)

Lots of personal preference for suspension tuning. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I unfortunately hesitated and the shock was sold. I currently have an Elka on my prime. I don't know what tune it has but it performed very well, much better than the monarch debonair on my phantom. Sadly it's leaking oil and acting very weird right now. I will keep my eye open. If a good price for a shock comes up I will take a M or L tune and tune it if I don't like it.

Is there anyone who has DIYed their shock for a banshee frame?

FM
    mtbr member
    Gotta say the Elka I had (M/M tune, originally on my v1 Rune) was possibly my all-time favorite shock. Certainly better than the Monarch plus. I'd consider sending yours in to MRP to have it rebuilt/re-tuned.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Prime is 200x57 right? I've got a M/M Monarch Plus Debonair available. Just rebuilt and perfect.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.