Looking for a spare lower link...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Looking for a spare lower link...

When I was taking my phantom apart to clean it up and check the bearings, I damaged to lower link and I am looking to source a replacement. I contacted Banshee directly regarding the issue. They recommended that I try to find someone with an older bike that is being parted out. They seemed unsure about being able to get a new one. Its kind of a long shot, but does anyone have a lower link from either a phantom or prime that they no longer need?

As you can see in the picture, the faces of the link where it contacts the bearings are chewed up and no longer flat. I am going to attempt to sand/file them flat again and see how it contacts the bearings, but I would much rather get an undamaged link.

Looking for a spare lower link...-img_3069.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have one. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    OK, seriously HTF did you manage to do that, really curious? I'd take the guy up on his offer, but I'd also file it down flat and use some washers to take up the missing material, if not you will have the possibility of compressing the inner races too much and ruining the bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Lynx,

Honestly, I wish I had never even attempted to remove it. I removed the pivot axle and figured it would just slide straight out, but it was so snug between the bearings, that was being held up, so I started to wiggle it out, and very quickly the aluminum started to shred against the steel bearings. By the time I noticed the damage, I figured it just needed to come out and get replaced. I guess it was a stupid mistake, but I honestly don't know how I could have done it differently. I assume that link has to come out to service/replace bearings, which is what I was planning to do.

mtbr member
    Hum, that's weird, I've removed mine several times, not much different than how you describe (I'll normally whack the frame on the inside of the stay with a rubber mallet to help loosen it) and have not had that happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by altron3030 View Post
    Lynx,
    Honestly, I wish I had never even attempted to remove it. I removed the pivot axle and figured it would just slide straight out, but it was so snug between the bearings, that was being held up, so I started to wiggle it out, and very quickly the aluminum started to shred against the steel bearings. By the time I noticed the damage, I figured it just needed to come out and get replaced. I guess it was a stupid mistake, but I honestly don't know how I could have done it differently. I assume that link has to come out to service/replace bearings, which is what I was planning to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.