Looking for a new frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Looking for a new frame

Been riding my wildcard now since 2010, looking for a new frame and not quite sure which one.

I now live in Maine, terrain here is super rooty and relatively flat where I live. I'm looking to build a bike that is a little more friendly than my freeride build that I currently have. I also want a bike that I can take to the bike park a few times a year (Sunday River or Highland).

That being said, I have been contemplating 4 or 5 different frames and not sure which would suit me best, especially since there isn't a Banshee dealer up here.

1) Rune. Would allow me to keep my 26" wheelset and 66rc3 evo fork for bike pike days, and would allow me the possibility of a lighter 27.5 build for the pedally rooty days

2) Spitfire, likely wouldn't keep the Zoke for this (although might just reduce the travel and use for a park fork) but it would give me a lighter bike that might be better on the day to day

3) Phantom. Seems like everyone here rides a 29" bike. The geometry looks fun, but I've never really ridden a 29" bike that I like (although I haven't ridden any of the newer styles). Not sure how this frame would stack up for park days

4) Prime. Seems like the longer legs might be more useful for more gravity oriented days, but not too cumbersome for regular trail duty.

I've also toyed with the idea of transition patrol or smuggler, but not sure if I'd prefer the transition over a Banshee.

The benefits of the 27.5 frames are that I can still keep some of my 26" components and have a more trail oriented 27.5 components (lighter wheels, fork, tubes, tires, etc...), but I'm not certain that I'll really use them much.

Thoughts?
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Rooty but flat sounds like a 29er would do well but my personal preference will be 27.5.

Travel would come down to your comfort level out there I suppose. Compliance, rune or prime... Efficiency, spitfire or phantom... If your pinning your trails on your wildcard I would prob opt for the later.
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I came from riding a Wildcard and switched to a Spitfire. First with the existing 26" wheel set, than made the change to 650B.
    For me personally, the Spitfire is the perfect Bike. Fit, geometry and suspension/travel allow for so much more than my skills could. Plus, there was very little to no time to adopt from the Wildcard to the Spitty, as the Spitfire feels almost as playful as the Wildcard, but is the much more pedal friendly bike for long days in the saddle.
    The Spitfire can take the occasional park-trip, too and has the pro to swap over most of your existing parts from the Wildcard, so you can take things easy and upgrade later!

I have no personal experience with the Prime or Phantom. But if I would go 29 I would go Phantom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would be between the Rune and Spitfire if i were you. I don't know if i'd consider the 29ers for park duties.

The Rune will certainly be on the more beastly side of the spectrum it will have ZERO problem with park duties. I went from the Rune as my do all bike to a Legend and Spitfire stable this season. My rune frame and CCDBairCS is for sale if you are choose to go that route.

Good luck!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I agree with the above assessments of the bikes. I have a Prime and I love it, but it is a monster truck of a bike. It just wants to plow through everything, being a taller heavier rider I can still flick it though stuff but a smaller rider might have trouble. That being said it has really surprising trail bike behaviors, I have used it in endurance races, it pedals stupid well for its capability, and that monster truckness continues when you point it up hill. So depending on what you want the Prime could be an ideal bike
    3000 mile goal for 2018
    3402.7 miles ridden in 2017
    3028.4 miles ridden in 2016

mtbr member
    I took my Spitfire up to Mt. A and it was absolute party time. That being said, I'm in Mass and the 140mm Spitfire is perfect for the everyday around here. Not too much too pedal but plenty of bike.

It can definitely handle light park duty. I wouldn't do double black downhills endlessly with it (though it can probably handle a few) but dirt carpet jump runs are much lighter than what mine goes through every week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use my Spitfire for everything. It is my only bike right now. It has a 160mm Fox 36 on front. In the off season when I ride local trails I put an RP23 air shock on with lighter tires. During racing season when I do Super D and Enduro races at the bike parks I put on a coil shock and Schwalbe Super Gravity tires and have had zero problems. It's a great do-it-all bike.

FM
    mtbr member
    Hey schlockinz-
    Some great info here, I agree with the other posters. I think it really comes down to what sort of trails you'll ride most and your height too.

Me, I'm now on my 5th banshee, I've had a v1 Rune, 2 Primes, spitfire and now back on a Rune (v2). I also have an Evil Following currently.

For an all-rounder, it's hard to beat the spitfire. I had mine built up slack with a 160 fork, 35mm stem and wide bars, the geometry was perfect even for double-black DH.

The Rune (same parts) climbs nearly as well- no slower- feels a bit rowdier in the air and on chunder. It's not quite as fun in the corners as the spitfire though. overall, subtle differences from the Spitfire.

The Prime, for me at 5'-9", was just a bit long in the wheelbase, though it was a great bike.

I haven't ridden a Phantom, but I really like my following & I think they're likely similar. Flat & rooty is where 29'ers shine, and these new school slack, stiff & progressive ones are super fun.

I'd vote Spitfire or Phantom, your height could nudge you one way or the other.
    Oh and 27.5 gives you some of the 29 advantages, I think it's worth moving on from 26" (unless you spend lots of time jumping)

I fix choppers
    The Rune gets my vote for your applications. You can build it up a number of ways and while it is similar to the Spitty, it will perform better in a park and on the gnar. The Rune however is no slouch on the trails either though. I considered a Spitty briefly, but I wanted something I could push harder in nasty terrain as well as suiting my devil-may-care, bumbling bear riding style.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    FM- though I havnt ridden a Rune, I could see the longer travel being a bit of an advantage in chum and jumps.

I have my spitty set up to take a 2-3 foot flat landing with ease and can handle a 4 footer at max with no real harsh bottom, that being said you can't rumble through everything on a rough decent at warp speed without really paying attention to the line

But if you're not dropping or jumping you can set the suspension a little softer and it does feel like a monster truck in the most horrific ledge rock gardens.

running the stock rp23 rear and a 140mm sektor up front.

You could probably get it to perform with a bit more versatility with better shocks front and rear.

That being said, I could see a light to medium Rune build being boss on the trails too.

Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have this yeas Spitfire running 650b, a RS Pike 160mm up front and a CCDB Air CS in the rear. No park days but live in BC and I've yet to find a trail here that feels harsh or isn't manageable with the CCDB Air.

To be honest I blow the O ring off pretty often but have never noticed a harsh bottom, ever, which is pretty amazing.

We have some pretty chunky trails with large drops/jumps here and this bike is great.

Don't know if it'd be my park bike choice but certainly an amazing all rounder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've thought about building up a spitty as a 160mm and using the vengeance HLR air off my NS Surge as my fork, would just need to reduce it... I don't get too rowdy at the parks nowadays, mostly blues, and maybe only a few runs a year.

It sounds like the spitty is the better frame for me, given my day to day usage and that the rune might be overkill for me, although isn't the weight difference between the two pretty close (like less than 1/2 lb if using the same shock)?
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I went with the spit over the rune and have no regrets. The rune is sick but it's a lot more bike if you're not shredding really gnar trails and plan to do some park.

Would really recommend the DB air CS over the inline as well.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Same here: I went with the Spitfire because the Rune can be overkill if your trails are not always gnarly or high-alpin-style. The MY16 Rune is even slacker and longer, while the Spitfire only got minor geo-updates and is basically the same great all rounder since the V2 were released.
    I think a lot of riders here would agree that the Spitfire is not the first-choice for park-trips, but it can handle it. In opposition the Rune might shine in the park, but has not the all-around dutys of the Spitfire - it has the better acceleration and is more pedal-friendly vs. the Rune.
    Get the Spitty with a CCDB-Air and there will be almost nothing to loose! The Spitfire is more durable than you might think, thatīs why it is a one of a kind all-around bike. :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just bought a 2016 Spitfire. I have a DW DHR for dh duties, and was riding an Iron Horse 6 Point as a trail bike. With 170mm Lyrik and an overstroked Vivid Air with 7 inches of travel. I'm stoked to get a properly low and slack short travel trail bike, should be here in 5 days. I bought a large and have an xl DHR with reach extending headset, and the Spitfire is still 24mm longer reach. Interested to see how big it feels when actually riding it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    I just bought a 2016 Spitfire. I have a DW DHR for dh duties, and was riding an Iron Horse 6 Point as a trail bike. With 170mm Lyrik and an overstroked Vivid Air with 7 inches of travel. I'm stoked to get a properly low and slack short travel trail bike, should be here in 5 days. I bought a large and have an xl DHR with reach extending headset, and the Spitfire is still 24mm longer reach. Interested to see how big it feels when actually riding it.
    It's funny, if you look at the Spitfire next to a comparable 5 or 6" trail or enduro bike, it does look like a whole lot of bike, but to be honest it rides more nimbly than its geometry would lead you to believe. Has no problems on old school hiking trails in all the corners that totally weren't made for a bike, let alone a mini dh.

Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery