Kids Banshee Build- Mtbr.com
    dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Kids Banshee Build

My son just turned 9 and needed a new trail bike and a bike to race some local Enduros on. We have a prototype kids DH bike on the way so I didn't want to get too aggressive with this build so the hunt started.

He was currently riding a 24" norco fluid built really nice but his younger brothers are coming up behind him so it was time to pass it on to them.

I own a bike shop and we do a lot of cool kids bike builds so I already had an idea of what I wanted to do as far as drivetrain but needed to find the right base for the build. I knew we wanted to do full suspension but wanted something small. I was ready to move him up to 26" wheels. Finding the right frame in a XS was really hard. Like impossible! I had to have a 13" seat tube to get a dropper on it and that was a must.

That's when I remembered that I had bought one of the last brand new banshee Rampants they built and had it hanging on the wall as decoration. We are a Banshee dealer so that's a plus as far as advertising for the shop goes.

So I started with a small Banshee Rampant. The build kit is made up of some new parts and some leftovers that were in the shop.

The fork is a 100mm Rock Shox Sid but will be upgraded to a 120mm.

Wheels are a set of Industry 9 Enduros laced to a set of DT 5.1's. I went with a burly wheel set so he can turn this into a dirt jump bike when he out grows it. Nice used 26" wheels are cheap now!

Drive train is Shimano Zee. He loves being able to shift wth his finger and thump so Shimano was a must. This helps him keep his shifting straight. Thumb to climb, trigger to go faster. Lol

Cranks are 155mm sram NX. This is a awesome crankset option for kids bikes. 32t ring for now but going to drop to a 30t soon.

Brakes are a set of SRAM Levels.

2.4 Nobby nics front and rear. Will probably go with a Rocket Ron on the rear for summer riding.

Full Deity Cockpit.

125mm Rock Shoc Reverb

SDG's new youth saddle

Fox rp23 rear shock

He is 4'8" ish. About 85#'s. The bike fits perfectly. He can easily get full travel out of the suspension.

We took it the to pro grt race at Beech Mountain this weekend for a test run. Straight off the lift he was 100% more confident than on the Norco. The 26" wheels just help so much in the rocks.

Final weight with the dropper and pedals is around 26.5#'s. on the heavy side but for what we built this bike for it will work just fine.

Off the back...
    Wow! That beats the hell out of the Supercycle I had at his age...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    My son just turned 9 and needed a new trail bike and a bike to race some local Enduros on. We have a prototype kids DH bike on the way so I didn't want to get too aggressive with this build so the hunt started.

He was currently riding a 24" norco fluid built really nice but his younger brothers are coming up behind him so it was time to pass it on to them.

I own a bike shop and we do a lot of cool kids bike builds so I already had an idea of what I wanted to do as far as drivetrain but needed to find the right base for the build. I knew we wanted to do full suspension but wanted something small. I was ready to move him up to 26" wheels. Finding the right frame in a XS was really hard. Like impossible! I had to have a 13" seat tube to get a dropper on it and that was a must.

That's when I remembered that I had bought one of the last brand new banshee Rampants they built and had it hanging on the wall as decoration. We are a Banshee dealer so that's a plus as far as advertising for the shop goes.

So I started with a small Banshee Rampant. The build kit is made up of some new parts and some leftovers that were in the shop.

The fork is a 100mm Rock Shox Sid but will be upgraded to a 120mm.

Wheels are a set of Industry 9 Enduros laced to a set of DT 5.1's. I went with a burly wheel set so he can turn this into a dirt jump bike when he out grows it. Nice used 26" wheels are cheap now!

Drive train is Shimano Zee. He loves being able to shift wth his finger and thump so Shimano was a must. This helps him keep his shifting straight. Thumb to climb, trigger to go faster. Lol

Cranks are 155mm sram NX. This is a awesome crankset option for kids bikes. 32t ring for now but going to drop to a 30t soon.

Brakes are a set of SRAM Levels.

2.4 Nobby nics front and rear. Will probably go with a Rocket Ron on the rear for summer riding.

Full Deity Cockpit.

125mm Rock Shoc Reverb

SDG's new youth saddle

Fox rp23 rear shock

He is 4'8" ish. About 85#'s. The bike fits perfectly. He can easily get full travel out of the suspension.

We took it the to pro grt race at Beech Mountain this weekend for a test run. Straight off the lift he was 100% more confident than on the Norco. The 26" wheels just help so much in the rocks.

Final weight with the dropper and pedals is around 26.5#'s. on the heavy side but for what we built this bike for it will work just fine.

Kids Banshee Build-img_3641.jpg

Looks like my project, just finish this Spawn Yama Jama for my 9 year old. He is 4'6" and about 65 pounds, so it's 24" wheels for now. Spawn is made by Banshee.