How hard-hitting can the Prime be?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How hard-hitting can the Prime be?

I'm looking to build up an aggressive 29er. Ideally, something that won't shy away from (almost) anything (think 6-7' drops to flat, 205lb rider, BC lower mainland terrain) in its path. If building the Prime with 160 up front, coil rear alongside an appropriate mix of DH'ish spec components - would the Prime come back looking for more?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's one of the burlier 29ers I've ever owned.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    What was the build spec like? Which others did you own that compared?

Here, diagonally!
    It's a burly, overbuilt frame so that helps. Through 2016 you can run a 150 rear wheel. For 2017, the biggest rear wheel is boost, although they may release the bigger dropouts later. I really hope they do, because the wider rear wheel really helps when you land a jump off camber.

I'm 230ish geared and live in Texas, and have brought the bike to Sedona and Washington, but I'm not really doing the kind of riding you are talking about. In urban riding here, I have done some full 4 foot drops to flat on concrete, and the bike is not even working hard, and feels very solid upon landing.

Check out the production Prime thread. User "Ride Everything" weighs 200+ and is doing some crazy stuff on his prime in BC. He has posted some amazing pics over there. Lots of good stuff from page 29 on. Based on the pics, I'd say yes the Prime can handle what you are looking to throw at it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes...817368-34.html

mtbr member
    That's some reasuring info. I've been dodging one perticular drop (6' min depending on where you've landed) on a trail called 'Manhandler' ever since I moved to 29ers. My Riot would deal with most from that trail but puckered up at heights. I'm sick of the b-line option, I need a 29er that will stomp it.

I too wouldn't mind the 150mm option, I've had one kicking around doing nothing for the past couple of years, it would be nice to use it.

I've been keeping an eye on Ride Everything's post's, those post have kept my interest piqued.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned quite a few burly 29ers over the years riding here in Phoenix. To be honest, the only stiffer rig I've owned would be the new Switchblade. The Prime is stiff. I ran mine with both air and a DVO Jade coil with a 150 Diamond.

For whatever reason, I never really gelled with the Prime; definitely not the way I did with the Phantom, which is still one of my all-time favorites.

Bnerd
    6 to 7 foot drops to flat! lol!
    I wouldn't do that kind of drop even on my DH bike!
    Now, if you're talking that size of drops to transition landings then, sure, the Prime can totally deal with it.

These pics are from last year so I was running the Fox 34 on the front.
    This is probably the biggest drop I've done outside of the bike park on my Prime. I'd guess about 8' from lip to landing? I bottomed the rear solidly on this drop. That being said I hadn't fully gotten the shock set to where I wanted it for bigger hits.
    How hard-hitting can the Prime be?-20150910_121253_10.jpg

This one is just under 6' from lip to landing.
    How hard-hitting can the Prime be?-p9230038.jpg

I'm 240ish all geared up and 6'6". I ride a custom built up 2013 Prime in and around Whistler. I have mine built burly because of size and how and what I ride.
    The biggest revelation I've had is don't skimp on the wheel build. For years I've dealt with wheel issues because they didn't stand up to my abuse - nothing staying true, broken freehubs, broken hubs, etc...
    I finally wised up and now have wheels handbuilt and use carbon rims. Sooo much better!
    Edit- I'm running eThirteen LG1+ hubs, 20mm front 150mm rear.

I ride the Prime in the WBP on occasion just for ****s and giggles. It does well but it's no DH rig. It does hold it's own but the high speed tech trails are where it shows that it is only 130mm out back.
    I've hit the "road" gap on Fade To Black and the ALine rock drop on my Prime. The bike handles it well and I have no concerns that the bike will fail under me.

I also ride my hardtail, a Kona Honzo, in the park occasionally. Again, just for laughs and to see what I can ride. I can ride most stuff except for any of the double blacks with mandatory drops. It is a hardtail after all and I really like my ankles working properly!

I initially had a Fox 34 but at the start of this season bought a Fox 36 at 150mm. The 36 matches the Prime way better. In fact I've started to out ride the 130mm of travel in the rear of the bike at times!
    The bigger fork just soaks everything up in such a controlled manner that I'm riding faster and picking harder lines.

I was in the same position you are in a little over two years ago. I was looking for a 29er that would tick all the boxes in relation to my size, riding style and terrain. I'm very happy with my choice of the Prime.

To sum up, yes, the Prime is a hard hitting bike.

Although the grass is always greener...!
    The new release of the Trek Slash 29, Evil Wreckoning and Spesh Enduro 29 all have my upgrade-itis causing a serious rash!
    Last edited by RideEverything; 10-02-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I've owned quite a few burly 29ers over the years riding here in Phoenix. To be honest, the only stiffer rig I've owned would be the new Switchblade. The Prime is stiff. I ran mine with both air and a DVO Jade coil with a 150 Diamond.

For whatever reason, I never really gelled with the Prime; definitely not the way I did with the Phantom, which is still one of my all-time favorites.
    I was not even aware of the Switchblade - I do like Pivots and that looks like a sweet, aggressive bike. I'd love to demo one, although I don't want anything with a PF BB.

Interesting that the Prime didn't work out for you, but the Phantom did. Not doubting you though. When I crunch the geo numbers, the Phantom appears to be very similar to the Prime but with less travel. Every bike I owned or demoed other than the Prime had something that bugged me about it. One ride on the Prime and I knew I was home. I played around with the shock and fork settings and cockpit to get it right, but once that was done it's been golden.

I run 4 tokens in the Pike and spacers in the CC inline, and the compression and rebound on the loose side on both. So the bike doesn't easily go deep into the travel, and pops nicely. For me that keeps it fun.

What surprised me most is that I prefer the Prime even on fast smooth XC trails (which I generally avoid like the plague, but it happens sometimes here in TX). It's a bit big for super-tight switchbacks, but that's about all I can complain about. I rode a chunky trail last night, and after all this time it still puts a big smile on my face.

CP
    6'3" rider, 235 lbs geared up, XL Prime w/ 150mm rear/Hadley DH Hubs, 36 spoke rear, mated to Sun MTX33 rims, Pike 150 front. This is a pretty burly setup that takes a fair amount of hard hits, it has served me well both in local terrain & local bike parks (Highland MTB Park & Thunder MTN). I've hit a few drops to flat of the size you mention, the frame could easily handle this kind of abuse, but other weak points (wheels mostly) would start to show up pretty quickly if done regularly. Also, I'm not too sure about a coil on the Prime. Always wanted to try one, but have heard mixed reviews when setup this way. Over all, I think it qualifies as one of the most toughest frames in the 29er category.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Interesting that the Prime didn't work out for you, but the Phantom did. Not doubting you though. When I crunch the geo numbers, the Phantom appears to be very similar to the Prime but with less travel. Every bike I owned or demoed other than the Prime had something that bugged me about it. One ride on the Prime and I knew I was home. I played around with the shock and fork settings and cockpit to get it right, but once that was done it's been golden.
    Well, I think you're right. In fact, I'd say the Prime and Phantom are pretty identical in design, pedal characteristics, fit, etc. I can't explain it, but I really had a very strong preference for the Phantom. Even in the big-tech gnar of Phoenix, I was consistently overall faster on the Phantom.

I think it's likely I'll buy another this year.

Apropos of nothing, I have found that I'm overall not a fan of the mid-travel 29er. 160 rear travel? Yes, please. Sub-120 rear travel? Yes, please. Everything in the middle? Not so sure.

mtbr member
    Reasuring feedback everybody, thanks.

MTX wheels are tough, Ive have one as a back up For the rear of my hardtail. Though it feels 'ugly' compared to Asym i29 and carbon. I was running a LB setup on the N9 but ended up cracking the rear.

I like the look of the Wreckoning and Treks big 29er, but carbon, so a no go. The E29 comp is a contender and may win over because it'll be easier to demo. My fingers across that Fanatic will have Prime demos soon....

Prime pedalling charicteristics? I've just come from a Riot and that thing PEDALS. If anyone can comment on pedalling and suspension efficiency/characteristics between the two it'd be much appreciated.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The Prime pedals great. The Riot may pedal incrementally better. The Prime is stiffer. Riding the same terrain in Phoenix, the Riot felt more "fun" with its short wheelbase and rear. I was personally faster on the Prime.

Overall, I'm happy to be back on an E29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any comparison between Prime and Rune? I am on a Spitfire now and want more bike. It takes a lot but my local trails can definitely put me in an "underbiked" situation. I did an enduro a few weeks ago and loved it too, would like to do more.

Geo on my 2015 Spitfire is good, if anything would like a bit slacker HTA and definitely want the lower BB and steeper STAs that started with 2016 models. Anyways, local dealer doesn't stock Banshees, just orders them, so it'd be hard to test ride. I'm all about DH speed and the rockier/rootier/moar disgusting that trail, the better. I am pretty natural at jumping and bike handling, at least good "enough" so I think with either bike I'd have a lot of fun. I'm in Pisgah Natl Forest in North Carolina if that matters! Whatchya think?