Hope hub issues on 142 dropouts?- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Hope hub issues on 142 dropouts?

Having a tough day. Just had a new set of custom wheels built by Speed Dream, Flow EX to Hope Pro2 Evo for my Prime. I can't get them installed. Rear drops are 142x12. Hubs are 142x12 as far as I can tell by measuring.

Wheel slides right down into drop properly and the factory axle moves through no problem. As soon as I torque the axle down, though, it basically locks up the rear wheel. As in, literally locks it up and I can't spin the cranks. If I back the axle off a quarter-turn, it frees up, but it leaves the wheel visibly loose in the dropout.

To be certain, I dropped the wheel into my Phantom. Same exact deal.

Incredibly frustrated right now. Anyone have an idea?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Anchorage, AK
    Could the brake disc be out of alignment?
    --Peace

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No rotors installed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    With the cassette installed I assume? Had a similar issue with roval hubs. Turned out to be a spacing problem.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hmm. I looked at all the wheelsets I have on hand and figured out that the main axle of the rear hub on the new Hope wheelset wasn't spinning. I backed off the torque on the cassette and, voila, problem solved.

Now I'm wondering if there was some sort of spacer on the XD driver that I didn't see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I suspect that you might not have the proper 12mm through-axle XD end cap for the drive side. You would get hub binding if you had the older, pre-XD end cap because it hangs up on the cassette. Take the end cap off and see if there are marks on the outside from the cassette. If so, then you need the correct end cap. Your cassette shouldn't need to be backed off unless you tightened it like a mad gorilla.

mtbr member
    There is a spacer that goes between the freehub body bearing and the hub body bearing, if that is not in there it will lock up, or not sure if they've changed them to have a right/wrong install direction. Another culprit could be a not properly installed freehub main seal. Another culprit, but one I'd be more skeptical of is a too short freehub spacing cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    ten80: I didn't tighten the cassette much. Something wonky is going on here as my rear shifting is also off. Now, suddenly, it's rubbing the drops in the smallest gear and falling off the cassette at the top. The limits screws visually are correct. Today's ride seems to be going down the drain.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Photos. Not sure if anyone can tell from these. Pulled it back apart, no visual marking on the silver end cap.

IMG_1183 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_1184 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hmm, hard to tell if you have the new XD cap as it is only about 1mm smaller in diameter, but it doesn't look like you have any gouges on the end cap, unless the photo doesn't show them. Very odd.

Take a read here for some other folks having similar problems with their hubs, but due to the end cap:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...em-829228.html

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Occurs to me that I'm not always the brightest bulb. The shifting issue is due to the cassette not being fully torqued on, of course, which makes it sit further outboard. I just cross-checked against the rear wheel on my Phantom. On that wheel -- a cheap RF Turbine -- you can torque the crap out of the cassette and it makes no difference. On the Hope hub, any amount of actual torque on the cassette to seat it onto the driver body causes the axle to seize up.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My issue is the same as some of those in that thread. I may try to install the cassette without the end cap installed to see what happens. In the meantime, I installed the rear wheel off my Phantom and it works like a champ so I can ride today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have three Hope hubs, two with XD drivers and torqueing down the cassette doesn't cause any binding, and it really shouldn't as the cassette bottoms out on the XD driver as it tightens to the driver. This shouldn't exert any pressure on any bearings, hence my thinking that it is your endcap that is incorrect.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep. Just pulled the endcap and installed the cassette. Got it fully torqued down and the axle still spins fine. Pulled cassette, put endcap back on and hub seized as cassette is torqued. Definitely an issue with the endcap.

Trail Ninja
    Have you referenced the tech docs and checked to see if all the parts are correctly installed?

Hope hub issues on 142 dropouts?-hopepro2evorear.jpg
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."