Help me decide - Rune or Spitfire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me decide - Rune or Spitfire

Hello everyone.

I am at the crossroads about making a decision on which bike to buy.

I have two bikes - a 2007 spesh Enduro SL and a nice HT. I use the Enduro to occasionally ride in the nearby mountains and the HT for general riding in the neighbourhood. The split is close 90% HT and 10% enduro, which is kind of pathetic, since enduro is my vanity sink.

Thus I have decided that this situation needs to be remedied by merging both bikes into one machine. I have always been eyeing Banshee frames for their simplistic, bombproof design, so I decided - heck it, I'll treat myself to a new frame at the same time.

My choices are now narrowed to Rune and Spitfire.

I am 6'6", 240lb geared. Most of my riding is comprised of XC-like trails, thus pedaling efficiency is somewhat important. I also am known to strap slick tyres to my bikes and ride some road - once again - pedaling is important.

When riding nearby I occasionaly drop 2-3ft to flat, ride downstairs and somesuch, but not much of torture - too chicken to do so :P

I like the geometry of the Spitty, it looks like a nice, low slung trail ripper which likes to have fun. I'd probably match it to suntour epicon 140mm or similar fork ( yes, I am that cheap )

However - i am a clyde, thus need something burly. Weight is not an issue, and the flexy rear end of the Enduro made me paranoid on this issue.

Taking that into account, Rune seems to be just the thing I need - burly, and inviting to have 'fun'. But I have always been drawn to burly bikes I don't really need.

So - I am split on this issue. Both frames seem similar. In both cases I shall take XL size. Spitty seems like a 'small' dh machine, rune on the other hand looks like a really big AM fully.

As for the speccing - the bike will be ridden with 38/28 double in front ( so no problem with the pedal kickback those bikes seem to suffer from ) and two wheelsets, one for XC, other for AM duties.

Whichever bike I take, it will see all-year duty, around 4000 miles/year, no matter the weather.

So - any advice?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't even bother with a Rune if you're going to put a 140mm fork on it. It's designed for a 160+ fork. Even the spitfire will be under forked with a 140.

mtbr member
    For a Rune I'd get a bigger fork - obviously

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Rune w/ Elka

mtbr member
    Having an 'xc' and 'am' wheelset is kinda pointless if you ask me. Just get some 819's laced to a hub of your choice. They are light enough for xc duty, and really if 2-3" is as big as you go they will hold up against any of that type of abuse. The savings of going with 1 wheelset will allow you to get a nicer fork. The x-fusion vengeance is a good quality fork on a budget.

As far as the frame choice goes, definitely try riding them before you buy. The aggressive geo of the spitfire is not for everyone.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    For what you describe, I'd do the Spitfire.

With a "medium" weight wheelset. Go for something with a 10mm thru-bolt and you'll be good to go - skip a second wheelset and sink the money into a nicer fork.

Like a Revelation 150mm at least, or a Sektor if things are tight The 20mm axle will be nicer than the 15mm of the Suntour. The extra height up front will suit it better as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for their opinions.

Firstly - I'd like to keep my fork choices out of the discussion. Let's assume, for the moment, that I shall use 530mm A2C fork on the spitfire and 545mm A2C fork on a rune, both with traditional headsets.

ExCactus: I'd love to test ride both, but having the pleasure to live outside civilized world, I cannot. My local Banshee distro does not have any Spitfire frames and just a few Runes. None of them in XL size.

As for my wheelsets. They are used with different tyres and cassettes as I found it much faster to switch wheels then to switch tyres and whatnot. Besides, their total current market value is below $100, so selling them to get new wheels is kind of pointless

Scrublover: Fork is not an issue here. I am currently selling a lyrik, if that is of any value.

Anyhow - I am considering the Rune because it promises to be much more rigid then Spitfire. But as I said - i am paranoid about stiffness after the Spec enduro. Also, having a history of braking frames tend to skew my perception

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    For what you describe, I'd still steer you towards the Spitfire.

Define much more rigid? The Rune is 0.36 pounds heavier than the Spitfire, at least according to the Banshee website. I'd bet a good chunk of that is in the front triangle vs. the rear, since it is meant to handle larger fork loads than the Spitfire.

What are your wheelset options, and would you be able to run a bolt through setup? That would help the stiffness with whichever frame you choose.

I'm obviously biased towards the Spitfire ( as i have one, and love it) my only concern with A Rune for you would be being "overbiked" with it as the only bike if most of your riding is on the hardtail. Though perhaps that depends on what sort of hardtail, and on what sort of trails.

IMO, the Spitfire is a very capable ride for what you describe, and methinks it would be plenty durable.

Not an Enduro, but very close - I did spend a good amount of time on a Specialized Pitch. It was a very fun bike, but the Spitfire is loads more fun to ride, as well as being much more confidence inspiring when things get ugly The Sptfire also feels a fair bit stiffer in the back end, noticeable to me even at my 150 pound weight - a much smaller mammal than yourself!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator

I am currently selling a lyrik, if that is of any value.
    Sorry to brink up the fork again, but that lyrik would be perfect for either the spitfire or rune. Keep it until you decide on what frame to get.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm gonna go ahead and say get the spitty. you're a tall guy, and the spitfire has a good bit more extra room in the cockpit length to accept a taller person than the rune does. should help you with that pedaling you want to keep.

basically, I'm saying split the difference. get the spitfire (lighter, arguably better pedaling, more trail-spec frame), and pair it with a bigger fork for your fun days (keep that lyrik). you get the fun of the rune up front, and the efficiency of the spitty in back. it's like a trail-bike mullet...

so yeah, I say get a spitfire, put that lyrik on it with a zero-stack headset, go rip some trails and be happy. even if you go eith the rune, do the same thing. it's hard to go wrong.

the only reason you would want to go with the rune is if you are planning on doing a lot of jumps, drops, and DH stuff. if you're sticking to the ground most of the time, spitfire for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i'd say neither - both seem like total overkill for your riding. if most of your time is spent pedaling around the neighbourhood and you'll be throwing slick tires on at least some of the time, do yourself a favor and get a hardtail. if you're stuck on a banshee, the paradox is probably your best bet: alu hardtail will be a peppy pedaller, you'll be able to fit fast rolling 700c tires, and it should take 3' dorp to falts on problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Being a Rune owner I would say it would be overkill for the type of riding you are planning on doing. It is a pretty compact frame and the seat tube is kind of on the short side. For the riding I do, I love it, but something more stretched out would make for better long grinds. I do have to say though, that in my opinion the back end is super stable and efficient on the climbs.

mtbr member
    at 6'6" i might wait until the prime came out. at your size 29" wheels make a lot of sense.

FM
    mtbr member
    Agree that the Paradox is worth considering. I'd grab a 29'er for the riding you describe, and at your height it's a no-brainer. Don't discount the "suspension" of bigger wheels... plus, slicks or a second set of road/disc wheels on a paradox would be sick!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^ very true!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Neither! Like others have said, I don't think either fit your riding tendencies. 90% hardtail when you have an Enduro at your disposal definitely does not lend itself to combining the two with a big Rune or even Spitfire. I ride an old road bike around town and have a Spitfire for the trails. I love the Spitfire, but I wouldn't want to ride it around town. It's not a commuter.

To be honest, I would either keep the two you have or maybe upgrade your current hardtail (again, the bike you ride 90% of the time) to a Paradox. I don't see much use in spending a bunch of money on a bike you barely ride unless you have a bunch of cash at your disposal (in which case I would say buy a Rune/Spitfire and a Paradox).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    it's like a trail-bike mullet...
    haha! that's genius

mtbr member
    scrublover:

Rune appears to have much sturdier swingarm then the Spitty - lower stays especially. Since my current ( well, ex now ) Enduro has a rather fiddly one, I am paranoid.

Anyhow - I use bolt-on axles on rear axles and 20mm TA fronts. I would not consider anything less

My hardtail has a history, as it is an evolution of my first bike, 5th or 6th generation. The current one was built when I broke a fully frame about 6 months ago. That was a 120/100mm fully. Fun bike that was

Anyhow - i am gravitating to the spitfire, just need to get one :/

dunerinaz: I am selling the Lyrik because I am not happy with it. I kind of expected a replacement for an open oil bath marzocchi ( z150fr ).

Bryguy17: Getting a spitty with a big fork is an option I am considering.

boomforeal: I have a hardtail and an enduro. I want something between. My enduro was built for that rare weekends when it gets beaten up in the mountains. Using it for pedalling around is less then optimal. Possible, but tedious. The bike becomes alive when coming down, fast, and I don't get much of that here, where I live.

What I need here is a bike that is pedalable. My HT is, but is limiting. I sold the enduro as I was not happy with the frame itsself. What I am looking for is a bike that I can use day-to-day and which I can take for a spin in mountain trails.

CeeJay: thanks.

qbert2000: I want a bike now, not in a year. Besides, I see no real benefit in 29" anyways.

firefox90: 99% of 26" mountain bikes can be fitted with 700c road wheels

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator
    Besides, I see no real benefit in 29" anyways.
    Hey Uzuraptor, have you ridden a paradox or similar (Beefy) 29'er hardtail?

If not, I would definitely suggest a test ride before ruling this option out. A burly slack 29'er hardtail is a totally different beast than a 26" hardtail (even a slack burly 26" hardtail). It aint for everybody, but test-rides are worth one-meeeelion internet posts!

Members who have read this thread: 0