Headset for the Spitfire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Headset for the Spitfire

I thought I'd just let you guys in on Canecreek's site. They have a great headset fit finder function....tres useful.

I believe this is a zerostack headset that would fit the SF.
    http://www.canecreek.com/component-h...pered-XXcII-ZS

Correct me if I'm wrong.....

Commit or eat sh!t
    You are wrong. Way behind the ball. Go to the Banshee Spitfire blog, or search through threads below.

mtbr member
    Please do explain why you say I'm wrong?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Yea its pretty useful. Be careful though as once they suggest the headset you still have to pick the right ones even though it dumps you out to the tapered page.

Make sure the bottom cup is the right one as the Spitfire takes a different cup (a 1.5") in the bottom than the top but that link you sent looks like it is the wrong lower cup. You'd want something like the XXC FLUSH II BOTTOM ASSEMBLY or the XXC II BOTTOM ASSEMBLY - 1.5 TO 1-1/8 CONVERSION if you're running a regular 1 1/8 fork.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's Box
    it's wrong. that's the one i ordered. look towards the bottom of this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=590963

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's Box
    The one you chose (or the CC's website offers) for the bottom cup is XXIIc ZS, which won't fit. You need the regular XXc/XXIIc. If you had bothered to go through the threads below, you will see that Keith put the correct set of Cane Creek headsets on his blog, and one of the guys even ordered the wrong one based on the website (the one you picked) and had to send it back to Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    I did read through those threads but had forgotten where it was I read about the headset issues. I figured I'd start this thread so we can come to a common thread for those of us who have the tapered HS experience (definitely not me ) to comment. And for future SF owners.....

mtbr member
    what others headset manufacturer beside CC that has the above spec for the spity?

mtbr member
    This will fit, if you're running a straight 1 1/8 steerer.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=41911
    Gravity DX ZS Headset

mtbr member
    Here's a bit of info that isn't on CC's website, the 110 1.5 lower cup is available with a 1 1/8 fork race, the only way I found out was that I wanted an extra race so I had to call to order my headset. I was ordering the XXcII lower and the guy asked if I wanted to go with the 110 1.5 lower to match the 110 ZS upper, it isn't on the site yet but it is available...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HotzKiss
    what others headset manufacturer beside CC that has the above spec for the spity?
    I was told that Banshee now sell a headset for the Spitfire frame..?

How about Chris King InSetT Headset 1-1/8 / 1.5 inch Mixed-Tapered?

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    It appears that the Cane Creek Flush being mentioned is the only headset that will work with the Spitty for running a 150-160mm fork with a 1 1/8" steerer? Is this correct. I pick up my brand new Lyrik tomorrow and really want to go for a spin, but i'm thinking that wont be possible as I doubt I'll be able to find this specific headset around town?

Are there any more options or am I **** out of luck until I order this CC one?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    andy, you should be able to run a standard 1.5" headset with a reducer to the 1 1/8" headtube. the stack will be a bit taller, but you'll still have a bike to ride. that would probably be a fairly easy headset to find.

another option would be to try finding a spare e.13 cup and an FSA impact bearing kit (cane creek bearings). that would achieve the same as a XXc flush lower cup...

heck, any 1.5" reducing headset should get the job done

Calm like a Bomb
    Can anyone confirm if I am running a small frame with a 160mm fork will the fork caps/crown clear the frame if I run a 0 stack headset?

Members who have read this thread: 0