• 06-04-2017
    Blatant
    Dropout chip bolt measurement
    This is a first. New '17 Phantom, lost a bolt out of the NDS dropout. Was six miles up National Trail at South Mountain, so had to ride it out. The exploded view on the Banshee site only calls it an M8 bolt. Anyone know the actual measurement?
  • 06-05-2017
    DirtMerchantBicycles
    8mmx12mm socket head cap bolt. You should be able to find one locally, if not, let me know.
  • 06-05-2017
    Blatant
    Yes, sir. 1.25 thread pitch. The diameter and pitch are easy. The 12mm length is impossible locally even at specialty fastener places.
  • 06-17-2017
    geoya
    Heads-up.
    Just discovered mine NDS bolts were loose on 2017 Phantom.
    Was messing with suspension and noticed my rear brake was loose. Almost lost the lower bolt.
    I trusted the locktite applied to the bolts from factory. Wrong, it did not really work, maybe just prevented me from loosing the bolt on the trail.
    Re-applied some good amount of fresh blue locktite, let's see how it holds.
  • 06-17-2017
    AlpineMTB
    I have had these come loose on me on my phantom as well as on a Kona Honzo. A large thread pitch, a short bolt and lots of forces going through it make it hard for the limited thread contact to stay tight. Using the stronger red thread locker may be warranted.
  • 06-17-2017
    Blatant
    Yep, I re-threadlocked mine with blue. Holding well so far.
  • 06-18-2017
    JustMtnB44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Yes, sir. 1.25 thread pitch. The diameter and pitch are easy. The 12mm length is impossible locally even at specialty fastener places.

Really? Even Home Depot has them, albeit not zinc coated so they will get surface rust.
    Crown Bolt M8-1.2 x 12 mm. Internal Hex Socket Cap-Head Cap Screws (3-Pack)-08848 - The Home Depot

I have not had any issues with these bolts loosening on my 2013 Spitfire, but if I remove them to adjust dropouts then I add blue Loctite when re-installing. The pre-applied Loctite really only works once.
  • 06-19-2017
    Blatant
    You must have really awesome Home Depots. I checked all of them in my metro area, along with Lowes, Ace, etc. Nothing in stock, although yes you could order from the website.

I never had issues with the old-style dropouts like you have.
  • 06-19-2017
    dcalabrese22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by geoya View Post
    Heads-up.
    Just discovered mine NDS bolts were loose on 2017 Phantom.
    Was messing with suspension and noticed my rear brake was loose. Almost lost the lower bolt.
    I trusted the locktite applied to the bolts from factory. Wrong, it did not really work, maybe just prevented me from loosing the bolt on the trail.
    Re-applied some good amount of fresh blue locktite, let's see how it holds.

I too have noticed my axle and chip bolts coming loose on my '17 Prime a lot more than my '13 Prime. The axle especially, I find myself tightening it sometime a few times during a ride. Don't know if this is an issue with the dt swiss axles in general or the frame.
  • 06-19-2017
    Blatant
    For me, the axle loosening is a symptom of the chip bolts loosening.
  • 06-19-2017
    geoya
    btw, in the FAQ it's mentioned that one should tighten the axle first before tightening the dropout bolts during installation.
    I wonder why this is important, anyone have ideas, can it contribute to the likelihood of bolt loosening?
    FAQ – Banshee Bikes