Downtube cage on Spitty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Downtube cage on Spitty

Anyone running a downtube cage on their spitfire?

I'm not a fan of downtube cages but I'm thinking of throwing mine on as I hate wearing my pack for short rides.

Will my carbon cage get rekt? It's dry here but not crazy rocky on the trails I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    On my phantom I have ziptied a side entry cage to the bracket on the downtube that the shock bolts to. It is secure and easier to reach than under the downtube. Only downside is that it can only hold a smaller bottle

There's always next year.
    Ive run a Specialized Rib Cage on my Phantom for a year plus. In a dry location, its ok... just wipe the dust off. Never lost a bottle, but its easy to get out. The carbon cages Ive used have tended to launch bottles from different frames that use that same spot for bottles. That would be my concern over getting your cage rekt (wrecked?). While its on the downtube, itd be pretty hard to destroy a cage I think. If you tend to get real aggressive on your Spitty, Id look at a Lezyne Power Cage. I had one on a previous bike, and man, that thing held a bottle tight. Its currently on my wifes bike, still going strong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wncunderground View Post
    On my phantom I have ziptied a side entry cage to the bracket on the downtube that the shock bolts to. It is secure and easier to reach than under the downtube. Only downside is that it can only hold a smaller bottle
    i would like to see a picture of this if possible please ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thought about using a cage on my Rune, too - but too concerned that constant rattling and rumbing over the trails with a 750 ml bottle would rip the screws holding the cage from the frame apart?

I fix choppers
    I became intrigued just like you with the idea of ditching a pack on shorter (sub 2 hour) rides over the last couple of years. I ran a couple of different bottle cages on the down tube of my Rune. The bottles stayed put, but A. would become a nasty dirt (poo?)-covered mess I really didn't want to drink from, B. the bolts would come loose as my usual trails have plenty of nasty root/rock sections and finally C. both cages got destroyed in wrecks.

Thereafter I employed a Specialized SWAT vest and used a Back Bottle in one of the pockets. This works exceptionally well as nothing ever fell out and it still was far less cumbersome than a traditional pack. Despite the SWAT vest's bondage gear looks, it is completely perforated and breaths well. It is barely even noticeable beneath your jersey/t-shirt. The vest has held up great over a year of sweat-fest beat downs here in the South and I still use it occasionally.

Nowadays I am a full-fledged member of the fanny pack nation. I run The Hipster pack from Source. It took a couple of rides to get used to, but again it is less cumbersome than a regular pack. I can carry more water and gear with it and have faster access to both over the SWAT vest. I do not use the harness straps it comes with as I have a enough hiney to support it from falling down, but a more svelte member of my cre finds they work for him. That said, it really stays in place quite well even loaded down. It has pockets, closures and clips for pretty much anything you'd ever want on a sub two hour burner and with some strategic water rationing, you could easily pull off a longer ride. One friend of mine now carries a hip pack as such and brings a Lifestraw for water refills out in the wild.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I use a Topeak Monocage for its full wrap around so it doesn't loosen its grip over bumps.
    I've also had to use a length of velcro to prevent the bottle from being ejected out the top.
    Sure, it's not quick or elegant and it gets covered in mud but I do like having it there instead of my back.

Probably my major issue with the bike but at least I can live with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sorry for late response and crappy pic but here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downtube cage on Spitty-img_20160619_200029.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I use a modified water bottle to hold my light batteries during the winter, no issues so far......
    2020 Whyte 403 (kids)
    2020 Trek Wahoo 20 (kids)
    2015 Dartmoor Primal
    2014 Banshee Spitfire

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    must be a XL frame yes ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    must be a XL frame yes ?
    Yep.
    The fit is pretty tight with a small bottle as is, but at least I don't have to wear a pack for an hour ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I tried the downtube cage and ruined one on my bike rack (not the trail). Will try again for longer rides but for now I have fanny/waterbottle belt that's working great

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just bought a Spitfire, it doesn't come for a few days but I'll be experimenting with bottles and cages. The trail bike the Spitfire will be replacing doesn't have a cage mount, I've never been able to ditch the pack on a ride so a cage mount was a requirement on a new bike. I will be trying a Fabric bottle and mount. This was always going to be my first choice, but this style mount is probably the best option for a outside of triangle cage mount like the Banshee's have. It won't help with the bottle getting dirty, but there is no cage to get torn off in a crash when a bottle isn't mounted.

Downtube cage on Spitty-p5pb12363216.jpg

There's always next year.
    Wanted to share an attempt I made with my XL Phantom to get a cage inside the triangle. Ever since getting back from Nepal, I've been much more aware of what might be getting on the bottle in the stock mount. Really got hammered home when I was riding through some open cattle grazing land this summer.

Using some SKS mounts I saw on Pinkbike this summer, I figured it was worth a shot. I've tried the old skool Two Fish anywhere mount, but that didn't hold the bottle steady at all.

Mounting up the SKS model, however, worked fairly well. Bottle stayed put during riding, but would wiggle some when getting the bottle in and out--which makes sense--there's no anchor to hold the cage in place, even with tight velcro and some sticky rubber on the backs of the mount. Space is tight for sure, so don't know if this is an option for smaller frames. It did keep the bottle fairly clean, as evidenced by the post 50-mile race shot here (pay no attention to the broken dropper cable suffered on mile 8):
    Downtube cage on Spitty-img_7491.jpg

Another couple of things to note: I hit my knees from time to time on the cage maneuvering around the frame, and it can be kinda hard to reach the climb switch on the shock.

Currently, it's off the bike again, and I'm throwing my bottle back into SWAT bibs for short rides. It will most likely go back on during the summer with big backcountry rides. Not perfect, but glad I have it in my quiver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Personally I would suggest that no matter where your bottle is mounted on your bike that there is a good chance of it getting crap on it as there are livestock and dogs etc doing their business wherever they want and it can splash up at any angle... Certainly here in Scotland every inch of the bike ends up coated in crud after most rides and no matter where you put the bottle it will end up being coated too.

I would personally suggest that all mountain bikers use bottles with covers for the mouthpiece like this to esure drinking from a clean source (lots of other options out there too, this is just one my mate uses that works well).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contigo-DEV...+with+flip+lid
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog