Does anyone ride their Phantom 29er for Dirt jumps & pump tracks besides just trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does anyone ride their Phantom 29er for Dirt jumps & pump tracks besides just trails?

Hey all, want to migrate parts to a new Phantom frame from a Paradox. Just a bit stiff at the rear for me, need a bit of squish.

Would like to hear from anyone who rides their phantom on dirt jumps etc as I don't want to get a separate bike for DJ & pump tracks.

How does the Phantom go on DJ?

I have a Rune set up 26er with a 170mm fork for lift days and exploring the middle of nowhere (AM), the Phantom would be more a XC and general trail bike

Cheers

mtbr member
    Subbed to hear what and if people have really used theirs for this.

When I got my Phantom I also ordered back a new Paradox as a secondary ride, after riding the Paradox for a few weeks I built the Phantom up. After just a couple rides I determined like you that the Paradox was a bit harsh for me, that in all honesty the Phantom only really gave up to the Paradox on the really smooth stuff, so I sidelined the Paradox for riding with slower friends and visitors.
    Then this PLUS thing came along and I gave B+ a go on the Paradox, completely changed it's ride for the better, really helped take that edge off the rear and has made it a bike I grab a bit more now once the hips/back aren't giving trouble, just an idea if "an edge off" is what you're really looking for, but don't see how the Phantom wouldn't be great at that sort of stuff as it's a very lively bike

Pics so you can compare the 2.

Does anyone ride their Phantom 29er for Dirt jumps & pump tracks besides just trails?-dscn4769.jpg

Does anyone ride their Phantom 29er for Dirt jumps & pump tracks besides just trails?-dscn4760.jpg
    Last edited by LyNx; 11-16-2016 at 03:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't take my Phantom to the bike park a lot but I have done it.

For BMX style jumps with a steep lip and landing, it'll do it but it won't like it. I don't think this an issue with the Phantom; more an issue with 29er wheels. They just don't want to flip over/down into steep landings.

For DH jumps with less lip and a flatter landing, it does well. Hit 'em fast and kinda squash 'em and you're money.

mtbr member
    Thanks Greenblur, I understand the Phantom isn't the best choice for dirt jumps, certainly not the expert level ones with big kickers and steep landings...
    I'm wanting to be able to go to the local jumps park and session some table tops and such, to get a better feel for jumping and feeling how the bike handles when airborne, albeit briefly, so I can take that to the trails and deal with jumps and moderate drops more smoothly.

I guess I'll know the answers myself in a few weeks when my 2017 Phantom lands and I can do the build