• 05-24-2018
    scocra
    Couple questions about a 2018 Rune build
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about building up a new Rune 27.5 with components off my current sled.

I have 175 cranks - are they going to be too long to pedal? I'm 6'5" and make good use of the length but don't want to be knocking pins out of my pedals every ride. The rune BB is about 10mm lower than I have been running. I hit rocks and roots from time to time but not more than expected around the PNW

I was also going to put a fox 36 170 fork on it. I love this fork (just had it serviced by Vorsprung with a Luftkappe which is awesome). I could shorten it to 160 if necessary but figure the 10mm won't throw off the geo much.

50mm stem?

And I'm confused about the availability of fox shock mounting hardware. The Rune uses 20x8 and 40x8 hardware and I'm seeing 19.05x8 and 39.88x8 available... I'd think the 39.88 would be fine but would the 19.05 leave too big a gap? I'd like to run an X2 shock if possible...

And, finally, does anybody take a Rune to the bike parks? in low mode this will be lower, longer and slacker than my 2012 V10... Not sure I want to beat the devil outta my everyday bike but since it has better geo I'd consider it.

RIDE!
    Scott
  • 05-24-2018
    Junersun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scocra View Post
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about building up a new Rune 27.5 with components off my current sled.

I have 175 cranks - are they going to be too long to pedal? I'm 6'5" and make good use of the length but don't want to be knocking pins out of my pedals every ride. The rune BB is about 10mm lower than I have been running. I hit rocks and roots from time to time but not more than expected around the PNW

I was also going to put a fox 36 170 fork on it. I love this fork (just had it serviced by Vorsprung with a Luftkappe which is awesome). I could shorten it to 160 if necessary but figure the 10mm won't throw off the geo much.

50mm stem?

And I'm confused about the availability of fox shock mounting hardware. The Rune uses 20x8 and 40x8 hardware and I'm seeing 19.05x8 and 39.88x8 available... I'd think the 39.88 would be fine but would the 19.05 leave too big a gap? I'd like to run an X2 shock if possible...

And, finally, does anybody take a Rune to the bike parks? in low mode this will be lower, longer and slacker than my 2012 V10... Not sure I want to beat the devil outta my everyday bike but since it has better geo I'd consider it.

RIDE!
    Scott

I'll only comment on things I should be able to answer based on my 2016 rune.

Yes 170 fork will be just fine. I played with my 36 from 160 to 180 but the longer travel I went I offset it with my stem to keep me balanced. Also raised/lower stem height as well.

I think at your height you should be on 175. I live on Seattle and do fine on trails around me.

Stevens bike park your be ok but bike parks are brutal on all mtn bikes, just be prepared to service your bike more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 05-24-2018
    thedrizzle
    I am using 175mm cranks on my '17 rune and don't get any pedal strikes, also have had no issue with a 170 helm up front.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  • 05-29-2018
    DirtMerchantBicycles
    6'4" and I've used 175mm arms on low BB bikes. It's something you'll adjust to...or not, I smack 170mm cranks as well.

No issue running 170mm front travel. Test it out and go from there.

I'd go no longer than a 50mm stem on the Rune. The XL is properly long for your height, no need to sacrifice a longer stem for fitment reasons.

Fox's 39.88 hardware is correct. Fox has a 20.00mm that was introduced at the same time as metric shock sizing. It's harder to find but is available. Fox PN#803-03-236. Reach out and we can get you set up on all of the above!
  • 06-01-2018
    scocra
    Thanks All - I'll post a pick when I get it built!

RIDE!
    Scott