Coil on a Spitfire for do all bike? 2015 V2....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Coil on a Spitfire for do all bike? 2015 V2....

Over the years there have been a few threads on this, but they are all 5 years old and a lot has changed since then. 2015 Spitfire is the bike in question.

I am running a DB Inline right now which I love, when it works! It's been a bit of a maintenance nightmare (rebuilds every 7-8 months) and now I have a new issue arising, anyway, just has me thinking of moving on.

I wouldn't mind sticking to Cane Creek, would be debating between the tried and true DB Air CS.....and also perhaps the DB Coil CS. Anyone try this shock out on a similar bike yet?

I ride in the mountains of NC, lots of long gravel climbs to the descents. It's this climbing, and not to mention the singletrack climbs, flatter sections of trail where you can crank pretty hard and keep speed, etc that have me a bit worried.

I guess overall I am still 100% of the mindset that a coil shock is for DH only. Is this new DB coil a different beast?!

mtbr member

Coil on a Spitfire for do all bike? 2015 V2....

I had a db coil on my rune. It worked well but my bike has transformed ever since I replaced it with a X2 shock. Only crappy thing is there's no climb switch but it naturally wants to stay high in its travel so that helps.

Coil was nice though. I'm on the heavier side at 220 lbs and aside from the frame being a beast, 7 foot drop offs (into tranny) soaked it up like a champ. You can def feel the weight though...
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I canīt comment on the CCDB Coil, as Iīve never ridden one. But running a coil-shock in the Spitfire (mine is a 2012/13) in general works pretty fine! I had several shocks in my Spitty - one was a Fox DHX 5 Coil. Except for the slightly too firm spring the result was great overall: Even more sensitive on the small bumps/initial stroke and still good mid-stroke-support. Like with air-shocks you have to dial-in the HSC/HSR to prevent bottoming on the big hits. From my experience the suspension feels a bit livelier and more active with a coil-shock - so donīt hesitate to give it a try!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the replies dudes. @Junersun, I have drooled and stared inappropriately at your coil'd Rune. @NoStyle thanks for your input too. How did it pedal with the DHX5? It seems appropriate (since it has air assist bottom out control) for the Banshee's leverage curve which goes regressive at the end of the stroke.

Couldn't convince myself to try it though after all. Cane Creek hooked me up with a too-good-to-refuse deal on a replacement shock for my Inline and I chose the DB Air CS even though I fondled a display Coil CS for a few minutes before making the decision.

Maybe one day if I fall into a bit of cash, I'll try to buy a X2 coil or DB Coil CS to try....

mtbr member
    DB air CS will treat you well I think. I think inline works well for the majority of trail bikes out there but Banshees are such tanks, I think a piggyback reservoir should be on every model.

Just my 2 cent. Let us know how the DB air feels in comparison.
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    ... @NoStyle thanks for your input too. How did it pedal with the DHX5? It seems appropriate (since it has air assist bottom out control) for the Banshee's leverage curve which goes regressive at the end of the stroke.

Couldn't convince myself to try it though after all. Cane Creek hooked me up with a too-good-to-refuse deal on a replacement shock for my Inline and I chose the DB Air CS even though I fondled a display Coil CS for a few minutes before making the decision.

Maybe one day if I fall into a bit of cash, I'll try to buy a X2 coil or DB Coil CS to try....
    The Spitfire pedals very well in general, thatīs my personal impression, so it does too with the DHX 5 Coil. The Fox had Pro-Pedal-Platform, which I tuned to the lowest/smallest possible adjustment - I usually donīt use any platform and prefer a full active and most sensitive suspension. As mentioned befor: The spring was a little too firm, had around 20% Sag, which is lesser than I run usually (25%). This caused a super stable and poppy mid-stroke, but I used less travel on big hits than otherwise. Apart from that the rear felt great.

Iīm running the DB air (regular can/non-CS) which came with the first V2 MYīs Spitfires and I donīt miss a thing. The shock gives a great range of tuneability and has a very "coilish" character. I think you will not be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2013 Spitfire

Coil on a Spitfire for do all bike? 2015 V2....-spitfire.jpgI put on a coil for park riding during the racing season, and put the RP23 back on for off season riding around the local trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coil on a Spitfire for do all bike? 2015 V2....-photo-1-14-.jpg  

Last edited by Sachem6; 04-05-2016 at 07:33 AM.