Claymore- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claymore

WNC Native

Claymore

Just curious if there is any info available on this future frame??

Any possible geometry numbers or anything yet??
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not fully set yet... I'll be working on it a lot this month, and will be looking for a lot of ideas and feedback (like spitfire thread).
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride
    Not fully set yet... I'll be working on it a lot this month, and will be looking for a lot of ideas and feedback (like spitfire thread).
    Nice! I will help you out by clarifying which MTBRetards are worth listening to as info starts to come in from them

I am also willing to give Banshee free advertising on my blahg

mtbr member
    I think I've provided what I'm thinking about for a nice 5" travel AM bike and what I've read from Keith seems to imply he has a damn good idea how he thinks it's going to be, so I'm looking forward to seeing the first rough drafts of what it could be like. But those guys at Banshee are pretty smart and who better to ask for feedback than the actual people who will be buying the product If by chance they need Caribbean final proto testing I am volunteering myself now for it Let's not forget the most well timed intro of the year, the new RS 140mm fork, this will definitely open up the possibilities now.

I think I can hold out and make do with the bikes I have until 2012

You Fo'Sho have been missed around here It gets a bit dull without you around
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Nice! I will help you out by clarifying which MTBRetards are worth listening to as info starts to come in from them

I am also willing to give Banshee free advertising on my blahg
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I think I've provided what I'm thinking about for a nice 5" travel AM bike and what I've read from Keith seems to imply he has a damn good idea how he thinks it's going to be, so I'm looking forward to seeing the first rough drafts of what it could be like. But those guys at Banshee are pretty smart and who better to ask for feedback than the actual people who will be buying the product If by chance they need Caribbean final proto testing I am volunteering myself now for it Let's not forget the most well timed intro of the year, the new RS 140mm fork, this will definitely open up the possibilities now.

I think I can hold out and make do with the bikes I have until 2012

You Fo'Sho have been missed around here It gets a bit dull without you around
    haha...thanks LyNx after all, I can't let you be the only one giving people grief

as for the Claymore I agree with you and with the new REBA it would of course imply the need for tapered headtube which while people may say they dont "need" it, it certainly wont hurt and from a marketing perspective like it or not, its a must for such a bike

WNC Native
    How about-

Tapered Head Tube
    ISCG Tabs
    5" travel
    69-70 degree HTA
    Hopefully sub 18" CS
    cable guides for dropper seat post
    around 13" BB height??
    Similar sizing to the Paradox
    Tire clearance to fit a true 2.4" tire (maybe even 2.5)
    Sub $1000 price tag would be nice too (realize that might be stretching it)

What ya think Fo?
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 04-24-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I'm excited

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    How about-

Tapered Head Tube
    ISCG Tabs
    5" travel
    69-70 degree HTA
    Hopefully sub 18" CS
    around 13" BB height??

What ya think Fo?
    as painful as it is to admit thats about right IMHO but would add that 140mm fork at 68 deg would be my choice. will be interesting to see this story develop! no doubt Lenz lovers and the such will preach for stays at 17.3mm or so while while nice, is not a dealbreaker for me but certainly under 18 should be a design goal me thinks

Definitely agree regarding rear tire clearance....use 2.4 Ardent perhaps as baseline to ensure proper clearance.

I also love Hammerschmidt-specific cradles along the downtube (or under downtube would be tolerable).

your pricepoint is WAY off and unrealistic but it sounds like you realize that

Powered by ice cream.
    no doubt Lenz lovers and the such will preach for stays at 17.3mm or so while while nice, is not a dealbreaker for me but certainly under 18 should be a design goal me thinks
    Keith gets it on this issue.

Thankfully he won't be listening to you.

If this bike will climb with tons of traction in the itty bitty ring, I will be sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Keith gets it on this issue.

Thankfully he won't be listening to you.

If this bike will climb with tons of traction in the itty bitty ring, I will be sold.
    Like I said Banshee management...you must filter retards and even psuedo-tards like Enel who have nightmares about stays longer than 17.3 and in fact believe such stays to be designed by the Devil himself

I am humble enough to assume Banshee knows how to and will make a bike that rides great, period. If it also has short stays then great! If not, I suppose the market who thinks in one dimension may then miss out on a great bike

Powered by ice cream.
    Like I said Banshee management...you must filter retards and even psuedo-tards like Enel who have nightmares about stays longer than 17.3 and in fact believe such stays to be designed by the Devil himself
    I never said DT was the Devil.

Hmmmm, he does have an interesting goatee now that you mention it.

mtbr member
    Far as what Keith has been saying it's somewhere around 68-69 degrees for the HTA, 5-5.5" for travel and loads of tyre clearance. Can't see why he wouldn't do the ISG tabs since he's done them on the Paradox. Under 18" chainstays, heck doesn't everyone do this already? Maybe not Lenz short type, but at least under 17.75" for most bikes these days.
    Love the $1k price thing, man you know how to throw out a good joke I'd be guessing somewhere around current price for a Spitfire/Rune ($1600-1800) would be a reasonable asking price and cheap enough to allow you to pick up a good fork with the frame for about the same as a lot of the "big boys" are charging for their frames alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    How about-

Tapered Head Tube
    ISCG Tabs
    5" travel
    69-70 degree HTA
    Hopefully sub 18" CS
    around 13" BB height??

What ya think Fo?
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

WNC Native
    Love the $1k price thing, man you know how to throw out a good joke
    Glad it was taken the correct way. Us poor family men gotta try.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 04-24-2010 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member

Weight?

All the above looks just what I would I would like to see in the new Claymore, married to banshee's suspension platform.

Only thing not mentioned so far is some idea of target weight?

mtbr member
    So far we're shooting for a Rune-esq type bike in a 29r.
    I can pretty much guarantee the following,
    guides for HS, and GD posts, ISCGs, Taper HT, VF4B suspension, def. 68-69 HA so slackish, 5" travel with 17.5" CS I think was the shortest we were able to go while still maintaining the travel and a normal seattube angle... this is the hardest one to acheive but we feel there's no point doing the Claymore if its going to drive like a truck.
    Talking to Keith this bike is even more of a design challenge then even the Legend, but thankfully we have the Paradox to point us in the right direction.
    For me this is the most anticipated bike because I WANT ONE!!!! super bad.
    Anyway just to let you know were listening to you guys and I'm sure there will be a few debates back and forth as we get further into development.
    So let me preemptively thank you for input.
    One of the dudes working behind the scenes at Banshee.
    Banshee main site and our Blog

mtbr member
    OK, strange ? for you guys at Banshee or should I say Mythic How come you're dual marketing your brand, i.e. Banshee in the US and rest of the world and Mythic in the UK? Just found it strange in having 2 names, which could hurt brand regonition is all

mtbr member
    OK, strange ? for you guys at Banshee or should I say Mythic How come you're dual marketing your brand, i.e. Banshee in the US and rest of the world and Mythic in the UK? Just found it strange in having 2 names, which could hurt brand regonition is all
    The Mythic bike brand name has been in use by a large UK chain store (Halfords) for some years for a range of bikes they sell. Presumably they have the name pretected

mtbr member
    One thought if possible - have different HT lengths for different sized frames so that way smaller riders can have lower bars, but really tall folks don't have to use a ton of headset spacers or a super high rise stem to get their bars where they want them.

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    One thought if possible - have different HT lengths for different sized frames so that way smaller riders can have lower bars, but really tall folks don't have to use a ton of headset spacers or a super high rise stem to get their bars where they want them.
    Thanks for that one MMcG The spacer stack is about my only complaint on my Paradox.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I already have everything in my notes that you guys are suggesting, so that is nice to know.

I would have had this bike ready for prototyping earlier this year, but just don't get much design time around e-mails any more... I've got 233 e-mails to try and plow through today due to having a few days away from computer while traveling back from California. The basic design came together pretty easily, and the fine details aren't too tricky. Front derailleur is only real issue. If I got to spend my whole time on this design for the next 2 weeks I could have it finished, but it isn't going to happen I'm afraid... unless Jay wants to handle all my e-mails, team sponsorship, marketing, forum work and media stuff etc?? (haha ... thought not).

Now that spitfire and legend frames are out there I should be able to find some time here and there to work on the design. I'll post it up as soon as it is getting to the stage while I'm ready fro feedback.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

WNC Native
    Thanks builttoride! We'll be watching for updates.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'd like to see a full 1.5 head tube so that we have more options to tune bar height with headset cups. Being able to run a flush mount top cup is real nice for us folks that treasure low bars for shreddy cornering. Especially on a 29er where the front ends tend to be tall.

beater

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by TerrorFirma
    So far we're shooting for a Rune-esq type bike in a 29r.
    I can pretty much guarantee the following,
    guides for HS, and GD posts, ISCGs, Taper HT, VF4B suspension, def. 68-69 HA so slackish, 5" travel with 17.5" CS
    And assuming the end result is a Rune-ish 29er, I can pretty much guarantee this will be my next frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Tapered or 1.5 headtube
    ISCG Tabs
    over 5" travel. 5.5 to 6" would be the teets
    69-70 degree HTA
    Hopefully sub 18" CS
    cable guides for dropper seat post. 30.9
    around 13" BB height
    Make sure there is an XL
    150mm maxle rear and 83mm BB I like strong 150mm rear wheels. Make sense for a 29er. Plus I have 2 sets of them
    7.875 x 2.25 shock so I can use my CCDB

mtbr member
    All right, set your client to forward all e-mails to me and then I'll delegate them out to the other guys and you can go about finishing off the design

I already have everything in my notes that you guys are suggesting, so that is nice to know.

I would have had this bike ready for prototyping earlier this year, but just don't get much design time around e-mails any more... I've got 233 e-mails to try and plow through today due to having a few days away from computer while traveling back from California. The basic design came together pretty easily, and the fine details aren't too tricky. Front derailleur is only real issue. If I got to spend my whole time on this design for the next 2 weeks I could have it finished, but it isn't going to happen I'm afraid... unless Jay wants to handle all my e-mails, team sponsorship, marketing, forum work and media stuff etc?? (haha ... thought not).

Now that spitfire and legend frames are out there I should be able to find some time here and there to work on the design. I'll post it up as soon as it is getting to the stage while I'm ready fro feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I can't wait for this frame. Maybe just make it HS compatible and forget the FD, people can run HS or none. FD problem solved Banshee. Any more issues I can clear up?

Keep up the good work.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

FM
    mtbr member
    How about the shimano bolt-on front derailers? (basically an e-type, without the BB part)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Claymore-fder.jpg  

mtbr member
    NEGATIVE GHOST RIDER, THAT PATERN IS A NO GO!!

Seriously, this will be an AM bike that will if I guess right be built all the way from somewhere around XC 27-28lbs all the way up to heavy duty AM/Light FR 35+lbs, so the ability to run an FD is critical IMHO. Keep working on the FD Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    I can't wait for this frame. Maybe just make it HS compatible and forget the FD, people can run HS or none. FD problem solved Banshee. Any more issues I can clear up?

Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    NEGATIVE GHOST RIDER, THAT PATERN IS A NO GO!!

Seriously, this will be an AM bike that will if I guess right be built all the way from somewhere around XC 27-28lbs all the way up to heavy duty AM/Light FR 35+lbs, so the ability to run an FD is critical IMHO. Keep working on the FD Keith
    I agree with Lynx. I have to run a FD. Probably wont do HS but its still a good idea for it to be HS ready

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It has to be FD compatible... S type FD is currently looking like the best option.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would say a BB height of around 13.2 or 13.3. I had a FSR with a 12.9 and had alot of pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    OK, I've thought of something I don't think anyone else has mentioned and IT IS 29er specific to an extent.........RD hanger Yes, look and laugh, but here's my reasoning and thoughts.

Right now there's basically 2 rear axle width options, 135mm and 150mm (that other 142.5mm BS with flanges no further aprt is utter crap) and I think this bike can fall into using either one of those. Now a lot of folks have 135mm spaced wheels and wanted something stiffer/stronger so went with an SS hub to build a dishless wheel which is stiffer and stronger and then fitted as many cogs on there as possible per each manufacturers hubs, normally 5,6 or 7 - I have 7 on my Hope Pro2 SS hub.

Most have opted to use the easier/bigger cogs (since we ride MTBs and not roadies) i.e. starting at 34 and working their way down smaller/harder. Right now a lot of us running this setup have issues running stock RDs and B-tension screws to achieve this because in essence, where the granny cog is now is actually where the 3 or 4th cog would normally be on a 9 spd hub, so the pulleys are sitting in a space where a 26t cog used to and rubbing.

Now onto my point......I think it would be FANTASTIC if this was taken into consideration when offering up the RD hanger and possibly have an option that is thicker and thereby hold the RD off the frame a bit further so as to not have as much interference between the pulleys and cogs, but not so much as to move it too far into harms way of rocks, bushes and other trail crap.

Thoughts? I (of course) think it's a brilliant idea. Oh and could you please make the lip for the B-tension screw "enough" to not have the screw slip off if you need to crank the RD all the way back using it
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Looks like most of my design choices have been mentioned above, except a few. I like the idea of the slacker head angle, and really like the way Intense is using a 1.5" with the ability to run some of the new K9 Reducer cups. This gives people a lot of options for HT angle, but unfortunately looks like it would preclude us from using the new tapered only 140mm Reba, so that's probably out. Also, I really like the modular dropouts option on the rear end that allow both different hub widths (135, 142, 150mm) AND changing wheelbase and chainstay length (longer/shorter) based on dropout size used.

And yes, being a proud Paradox owner I am willing to "sacrifice" my Paradox riding time to be a prototype tester for the new Claymore. Someone's gotta take one for the team.....might as well be me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I really like the idea of a modular style drop out but did not say it because none of their other bikes has them so i thought it would be a stretch.
    Last edited by sikocycles; 04-27-2010 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    (that other 142.5mm BS with flanges no further aprt is utter crap)
    Have you used thru axle hubs? I find it funny to hear people call this system BS but it actually serves a great purpose for thru axle drop outs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    I really like the idea of a modular style drop out but did not say it because none of their other bikes has them so i thought it would be a stretch.
    Agreed, but it doesn't hurt to let the designer know our thoughts. Clearly a number of new, longer travel bikes will be using some sort of new dropout design (Intense Tracer, Norco Shinobi, etc), so I think it's something Banshee would want to look at.

Fingers crossed......

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree. I hope for a 150mm rear thought. I love the maxle rear on my Lenz bikes. It works very well plus the 150 will build a stiffer and stronger 29er wheel.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Oh and could you please make the lip for the B-tension screw "enough" to not have the screw slip off if you need to crank the RD all the way back using it
    agree 100%. i like your bandaid as i noticed the same exact thing where it B-A-R-E-L-Y makes contact when backed out all the way

mtbr member
    No I have not used this new fix for a non-existing problem. Right now as I said I run the Hope Pro2 hub with 10mmm bolts and have no issues if you want wider 150mm is only 15mm wider and AFAIK the hub flanges are actually spaced wider giving a reason for using the wider spacing. If you have any more info to conivnce me otherwise please feel free to share it with us, oh and BTW, I think the designer will agree with me on the 142mm new standard - just a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Have you used thru axle hubs? I find it funny to hear people call this system BS but it actually serves a great purpose for thru axle drop outs.
    Once again, thanks for the regognition and here's hoping that maybe my suggestion be taken into consideration for this new design
    agree 100%. i like your bandaid as i noticed the same exact thing where it B-A-R-E-L-Y makes contact when backed out all the way

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think the designer will agree with me on the 142mm new standard - just a wild guess

Don't bring me into this! haha

oh ok then... personally I'm not really sold on the 142mm spacing. The only purpose it serves in my eyes is to make wheel insertion easier. But it also increases cost of the bike slightly and reduces the number of wheel options for the customer. I'm definately thinking I might maybe the claymore 150x12mm spacing tho...
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

beater

oh ok then... personally I'm not really sold on the 142mm spacing. The only purpose it serves in my eyes is to make wheel insertion easier. But it also increases cost of the bike slightly and reduces the number of wheel options for the customer. I'm definately thinking I might maybe the claymore 150x12mm spacing tho...
    Well, coming from someone who already has a 150x12mm rear wheel, that sounds awesome.

It would be nice to be able to run a chain guide/tensioner. I wasn't able to get the e13 DRS on my WFO frame, although I've since heard that the MRP works. I know it's a busy area down there, but... I might take the leap into internally geared cranks at some point, but I'm in the 'wait and see' camp right now.

I don't remember reading what you're thinking re: BB height, but as I'm not going to be racing buff singletrack so much as bashing through rocks on joyrides, I'd like a skoosh more height to cut back on pedal strikes.

I really like the idea of the Claymore as a burly, rowdy bike. I've been away for a month, but I don't remember seeing any Rune builds that would weigh in under the mid-to-low 30s. There are plenty of lighter 4-5" travel 29ers on the market already, so I'm really excited to read the way you're thinking of taking the Claymore. All ears and eyes...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thats fantastic news. I really like the Maxle design. I have it on my Lenz and it works very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is one of the most worth while threads on this whole forum. Rider input - designer feedback without all the BS.

This is going to get really good when some protos are mocked up and CF gets his hands on one to brag about.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Claymore....

my stance on this bike is that the bike should be capable of all things that the rune is... and being a 29er frame which is stiff and 150x12mm spacing, it will not be a super light frame (extra stiff ness results in a more efficient ride than less weight generally) but the frame will not be heavy! I'm not going to purposefully mAKE IT HEAVY BY ANY MEANS, IT WILL BE AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE, BUT WILL BE DESIGNED TO BE STIFFER AND MORE CAPABLE THAN ANYTHING OUT THERE (wow sorry caps attack).

I plan to make it chain guide compatible with ISCG 05 as well as front derailleur compatible as prevously mentioned, and HS compatible too... but this all might be a bit tricky with VF4B linkage and 17.5" chainstays (originally I was planning to go 17.3" but 17.5" will actually fell better on the trail)

BB height is still up in the air a bit... I may even make it adjustable like spitfire. thinking maybe 2 geometry options, and they might even adjust travel slightly too (5" and 5.5")? but I'm getting ahead of myself a bit there.

1.5" head tube like the rune... gives lots of fork and headset options as well as angle reducer capablilities if desired. HA may be around 68degrees roughly with 140mm forks. but again that needs tuning in.

Seat angle will likely be around 73-74 degrees (unsagged) nice and steep to help climbing position.

head tube length will change between sizes...

it will fit a 29x2.5" rear tire

30.9mm seat post (frame will have remote post cable guides)

73mm BB

2.25" stroke shock for low leverage ratio most likely, but still playing around with these things.

So in short, the Claymore will be like a 29er rune in terms of strength, between rune and spitfire in terms of geometry... and actually have a touch of legend thrown in there as well...

Again this is still early days, but I know you guys like to get the inside scoop, and provide great feedback and ideas, so I'd be daft not to throw some info at you early on to hear opinions on it.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Powered by ice cream.
    So in short, the Claymore will be like a 29er rune
    Interesting decision. Originally I thought you were shooting for a 29"er Spitfire. Certainly that is where 29" forks are right now IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sounds like a winner to me. As i said before I thikg the 150mm rear wheel is great.
    Will the frame be ok to use the 175mm Dorado upfront for some lift acess fun?

mtbr member
    So to sum up for BTR...............

Stiff a$$ frame, as light as possible, without compromising integrity of frame
    Climb like a Mountain Goat, Descend like a hillbilly being chased by the wrong clan
    150x12 Maxle Lite Rear
    Built around a 140mm fork
    You'll have a Swiss Army knife BB area
    2 : 1 leverage ratio

In essence, this wil truly be a Do-it-ALL bike Oh yeah when again are we talking? Dang 2012 seems a while away and I certainly don't want it to come any faster than it does cause that's 2 years less I have on this globe, but the MTBer in me does want it to hurry up and get here.

On an aside regarding angles and SAG Never quite understood why angles are given UN-sagged I've wondered about this from time to time and today I was thinking about why my FS29er pedals better/nicer than my rigid one. So I decided to check cockpit measurements and see how closely I had them set up, since I'd only gone roughly by total cockpit length and rough feel on saddle position and by looking down at my knee over th pedal while seated on them. The measurements were fairly close, in a building a home maybe sort of way, but off actually by about a 1/4", then I got to wondering, what if I let the air out of the shock and compress the suspension to the 9mm of SAG well the saddle then went back another 1/2" or so is what. So in reality when I thought I was pretty close with my setups, in actuality I was off by more than about 3/4" - I can feel when I lower or raise my saddle 3mm.

thoughts off

By the time this gets to market, someone would have introduced a 140mm travel adjust fork with 36mm stanchions
    Interesting decision. Originally I thought you were shooting for a 29"er Spitfire. Certainly that is where 29" forks are right now IMO.
    Last edited by LyNx; 04-28-2010 at 09:41 AM.

beater
    Thanks for the from-the-source info. Sounds awesome.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm with evasive on the BB height... something in the mid 13 range would be great or maybe 13.25 with 5'' and 13.75'' with 5.5'' sub 13.25'' in New England rocks and roots is just a no go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    sounds like an awesome frame. gotta start saving, and when i thought my wildcard will be my last bike, now i'm riding a spitfire and too thinking that the SF will be my last frame change, you guys have to wet my appetite for another bike!

and getting info straight from you guys, i feel, is the best thing!
    rather than having to dig through rumors and scratch of info from all over the internet, then getting disappointed when the final product is nothing what i hoped it to be.

kudos to you guys! companies should learn to engage their customers more.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keith - What is a realistic timeframe?

This sounds like my dream AM frame. I was considering a Rune to get me through the next couple of years when a true AM fork is released (Fox 36 29er). Sounds like the Claymore with a real 140-150 fork is the ticket. Do I need to get a Rune because this frame will not be out until 2012, or are you thinking early to mid 2011?

I currently own a Lenz Lunchbox. I think all of your design points are spot-on.

1.5 Headtube
    17.5 Chainstays
    Anti-Squat suspension
    Chainguide/HS and FD compatibility

I do love my high BB - 13.5 - 14 is ideal in the rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Realistic date is 2012. I need to design the frame, and always like to spend at least a year testing the frames in machines and under multiple riders before release so that I get it right first time. I'm not prepared to release a potentially second rate product into the market just to make a quick buck... testing is very important!

Earliest possible it will be out is mid to late 2011... but 2012 is far more realistic.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It is good that you will get it right but bad that we have to wait that long.

beater
    Good for me- I can't afford a new frame for a while anyway, and now I don't have to pine away.

beater
    Afterthought- besides, the fork market should be improved by then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    haha honestly i think it's really awesome that you guys came out early to share what you guys have planned on the road map. i felt really cheated when i received my wildcard frame and news of the spitfire came out shortly. i really wanted the spitfire frame.

but now knowing that there's gonna be a 29" "rune", it'll greatly affect any frame purchase decisions i'll have for the next 2 years.

btw, i love totally love the wildcard, mainly used it for my local trails, 90% climbs... most of the time i manage to keep up, if not out run others on sub 12kg bikes. and when i threw my legs over a spitfire, i was just on steroids, from all the "weight" training i went through with the wildcard...

mtbr member
    Same boat as you right now and thankful it'll take till then and doesn't cause me to have to sell any organs if it was an earlier release, cause I'm sure not stoked on my what I'm riding now and would love something new
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    Good for me- I can't afford a new frame for a while anyway, and now I don't have to pine away.

Realistic date is 2012. I need to design the frame, and always like to spend at least a year testing the frames in machines and under multiple riders before release so that I get it right first time. I'm not prepared to release a potentially second rate product into the market just to make a quick buck... testing is very important!

Earliest possible it will be out is mid to late 2011... but 2012 is far more realistic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was hoping for more of a spitfire 29er myself. 4-5" with real trail geo. ( I know there is alot of 4-5 bikes out but they are all full XC rigs) Keep it flicky like a rampant with big wheels and the low slung feel of the spitfire. If you start getting it overbuild its going to looses a lot of apeal and be labled as a big hit rig. Which would be fine, but if thats the case, go 6". 150 spaced and make it a freeride bike. The whole 4" 29 = 6" 26 is a crock. a drop is a drop and my knees cant tell the difference in wheels size Im just thinking you would apeal to a larger range of riders but still be in its own nitch ( true trail 29 ripper, not a XC frame with strong parts) and that, as we know, equals sales.

I say:
    Tapered HT
    135 spacing ( or maybe replaceable drops so you could go both 150 or 135 and lower the bb for us guys that dont smack pedals)
    4-4.5 travel built around a 140mm fork
    Sexy trail shreding machine

Just my random thoughts.
    Enjoy every ride!

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    I was hoping for more of a spitfire 29er myself. 4-5" with real trail geo. ( I know there is alot of 4-5 bikes out but they are all full XC rigs) Keep it flicky like a rampant with big wheels and the low slung feel of the spitfire. If you start getting it overbuild its going to looses a lot of apeal and be labled as a big hit rig. Which would be fine, but if thats the case, go 6". 150 spaced and make it a freeride bike. The whole 4" 29 = 6" 26 is a crock. a drop is a drop and my knees cant tell the difference in wheels size Im just thinking you would apeal to a larger range of riders but still be in its own nitch ( true trail 29 ripper, not a XC frame with strong parts) and that, as we know, equals sales.

I say:
    Tapered HT
    135 spacing ( or maybe replaceable drops so you could go both 150 or 135 and lower the bb for us guys that dont smack pedals)
    4-4.5 travel built around a 140mm fork
    Sexy trail shreding machine

Just my random thoughts.
    I agree with pretty much everything you say, and hope the Spitfire replaces the Rune as the goal for the Claymore. Not to say Runish 29"ers are bad, I already have one though

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    interesting ideas... originally my idea was a 29er spitfire... but I was convinced towrads the rune... I think it will fall in the middle at the end of the day.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think something in the middle would be best but a little closer to the Rune.
    There is a need for a heavier duty longer travel 29er and this will hit the mark.
    I think a type of modular drop out would be best but I would opt for the 150mm spacing.
    135 QR
    135 Maxle
    150Maxle would be great options.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Did I mention how much I HATE waiting for stuff? This may prove to be to painful for me...... CF......

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Did I mention how much I HATE waiting for stuff? This may prove to be to painful for me...... CF......
    I agree. This will be painful.

mtbr member
    more like a spitfire on steroid with tall legs
    :P

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Well enjoy your sufferin, because I for one am glad it won't be out until 2012 (maybe very late 2011) since by then I'll have the $$$ saved up for it and will appreciate it even more because of the wait AND knowing it won't be "updated" anytime in the next couple years after release

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    What I meant to say was......make sure that it uses bushings and not bearings in case there was any doubt along those lines, as bearings don't seem to handle wet weather conditions too well, like stream crossings that submerge the pivots etc.
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-05-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    I agree with pretty much everything you say, and hope the Spitfire replaces the Rune as the goal for the Claymore. Not to say Runish 29"ers are bad, I already have one though
    why are you still interested? isnt it going to be 0.2" longer in the stays than your completely arbitrary 17.3? maybe they should just call it 17.3 so you will love it no matter how it rides, knowing or thinking its 17.3.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That was a good read. THx for pointing me to this thread shirk
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Lee pointed me at this thread: I like it. Thoughts:

-Why bother with anything less than 5.5" travel? Plenty of those bikes already.

-Don't be afraid of slack HTA. I ride a custom with 67 HTA and notice no wheel flop, "slow steering", or other downsides...what I do notice is that the bike tracks through anything and is happier on steep downhills. Maybe the steering feels slow if you've got gram-shaver handlebars that look like two hotdogs stuck into your stem, but with the sort of big wide bars this bike will ask for, I guarantee it doesn't matter.

-Steep STA is tits. I ride 74 STA on a softail (= perhaps a few mm sag) with a straight post, and I would go even steeper if I had it to do over. 74 will sag to perhaps 72 when seated: I'd like to see 77 sagging to 75. Maybe if I were pedaling seated on buff Midwest singletrack with low bars I'd want a slacker STA, but on this sort of bike you'll either be grinding uphill or standing on the pedals as you rip downhill.

Plus, steep STA means you can have a slack HTA and still climb steep stuff without the front wheel wandering around, and you can have shorter chainstays without looping out.

-I like the adjustable geometry on the Spitfire.

-Different HT lengths: yes, please. Tall people are taller!

-Cable guides for a remote seatpost: yes, please.

mtbr member
    OK, I thought I'd bring this over here this time and keep the spitty threads clear.

Keith, I'll take it that the Claymore will have the same suspension and pedalling characteristics as the Spitfire, is there anything that will be done diffferent to help minimize this effect? I'm currious, because I enjoy earning my downs as much as the downs, the techier the better i.e. I am not one to compromise climbing ability for descending capability.

Anti squat = pedal kickback, especially when combined with active suspension under braking and a low BB. Bike design is all about optimisation and selective compromise.

Having proper damping tune on the shock as well as correct sag setting (12mm at shock) will help reduce pedal kickback for most situations. But chain stretch and rearward axle path (which will always result in pedal kickback) have massive benefits which outweigh the negatives once you get used to the ride. I noticed a bit of pedal kickback on first few rides, but have adapted and and now riding harder and faster than ever before, and really enjoying it.

I know the design will not suit everyone, but it tends to suit the more agressive and faster riders, and the harder it is pushed the better it performs.

I think that a lot of people will end up running 1x10 on this bike in time, you might need slightly stronger legs for the steepest of climbs, but it will be lighter and more efficient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Claymore will be a bit different to spitfire or rune. It will be a bit more progressive so that it can take some abuse from bigger guys and protect both frame and shock. The axle path will not be quite as rearward due to less need for this with bigger wheels, and as such the chainstretch will be reduced a bit with a touch less any squat designed to work with slightly smaller chainrings used for 29ers.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Rock Shox to release a 140mm fork for 29ers

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...rst-look-26196

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yup... 3 models all weighing in a 4.1lbs with adjustable travel internally between 130/140mm from what I can see.

RLT Ti Dual Air Thru Axle
    RLT Dual Air Thru Axle
    RL Dual Air Thru Axle
    Last edited by builttoride; 05-18-2010 at 04:31 AM.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    OK, that's cool, thanks for the response So according to your description then I should be good since I don't need those wussy gears
    Keith. Oh and please don't buy into that farse created by weak legged individuals who couldn't push a stroller up the mall ramp I found that when I moved to the 29er platform I found I could climb in a harder gear and as such changed my gearing up 2 teeth per ring. Was running a 22/32/44 tripple on the FS when I did Laramie and Leadville, then moved to a 24/34/4/6 amd currently run a 24/38 double on the FS and 34/46 on the rigid/roadie.

Claymore will be a bit different to spitfire or rune. It will be a bit more progressive so that it can take some abuse from bigger guys and protect both frame and shock. The axle path will not be quite as rearward due to less need for this with bigger wheels, and as such the chainstretch will be reduced a bit with a touch less any squat designed to work with slightly smaller chainrings used for 29ers.
    Another small question for you Keith..have you decided roughly on a shock i2i and stroke?
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-18-2010 at 07:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yup... 3 models all weighing in a 4.1lbs with adjustable travel internally between 130/140mm from what I can see.

RLT Ti Dual Air Thru Axle
    RLT Dual Air Thru Axle
    RL Dual Air Thru Axle
    This new 140 Reba is just going to be a PERFECT match for the Claymore....This thing is going to own the AM/FR 29er market..Yes I said OWN......I freaken HATE waiting for stuff like this..This one is just killing me bad....However the good news is a Spitfire should be showing up on me doorstep any time now..I'm DYING to ride this bike..Hope that I can, I swear I've gotton and am still getting at least 3-5 PM's / e-mails a week from guys (mostly in New England) asking when and where will I be riding this bike, and can they try it, borrow it, HAVE IT.. Hey it's all good right? Claymore,Claymore, Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claym ore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,C laymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymo re,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Cl aymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymor e,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Claymore,Cla ymore,Claymore.. .........CF.....................Yes I know, YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL ME........

Double-metric mtb man
    Just a couple things.

1) I'm in agreement with some of the "ballpark" numbers Fo was throwing around. Short CS's are nice, but don't overdo it.

2) I'd say lean more to the AM side of things. With Fisher putting out the Rumblefish and others following suit in the trail/light AM areas, going more Rune-esque would be a good idea IMHO.

3) If you need a clyde class rider to torture test, I'm available

4) I'd lean toward a 68-69 degree HA. More slack and it could get a little mushy, steeper and it could get twitchy....I find that seems to be the sweet spot for an AM bike.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Another small question for you Keith..have you decided roughly on a shock i2i and stroke?
    thinking currently an efficient 140mm travel suspension system with 200x57mm shock.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Gear Whore
    Holy carp..I want this bike...trade you my rune when it comes out....if you want husky test riders in BC just let me know...haha...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thinking currently an efficient 140mm travel suspension system with 200x57mm shock.
    Great that is the size of my CCDB

mtbr member
    Since everyone's offering up testing services, if you want some Caribbean testing on nasty coralstone with clay layden mud then just shoot me a note and send down an XL frame, I'll deal with the fork to put on it

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK, I want to get this thread kickstarted back into action, because I've finally been able to find some good design time and have been working away on the claymore.

I actually had to completely scrap my initial design even tho I was haf way through it... there were clearance issues and front derailleur issues, that I'm sure I could have fixed, but would have been tight and generally would have been like trying to save a sinking ship... so have an all new design, with different suspension playform (although still VF4B, just not quite as you know it).

In the process I've managed to create a lot more room for tire clearance and FD clearance (going direct frame mount E type).

I've set travel at a highly efficient 140mm (trust me it will pedal as well as most 120mm bikes).

Currently I've gone with following rough overall geometry, but a lot will nodoubt be tweaked as things progress...

Head angle - 67.5 degrees eith 140mm fork, (about 68.5 degrees with 120mm)
    effective seat Angle - 74 degrees
    CS length - 17.4"
    BB height (with 140mm forks and avaerage 2.3" tires) - roughly 13.6"

I'm going to go with full 1.5" head tube... this opens up most fork options as well as angle reducer cups if desired.

Shock will be 7.875x2.25" (designed around large volume air shock, like rune, and leverage curve will be kind of similar)

The designs has been optimised around a 32 tooth chainring (normally I got around 34-36 for 26ers, but obviously for a 29er the gearing drops at the front on average). Less chainstretch and antisquat than most my 26" designs (although similar curve profile), due to larger wheels requiring a less rearward axle path to roll fast over the rough stuff.

the normal 30.9mm seat post and will have cable routing for remote posts.

Standard shock hardwear with 8mm bolts front and back.

ISCG 05

Fully sealed INA bearings throughout (probably running on full titanium axles and bolts like the legend).

I plan to have some sort of dropout adjustibility, but haven't quite got to the rear traingle part of the design yet (is currently just a triangle in my model... haha)

I want feedback on what I've said above, plus I want to hear opinions on rear hub spacing and axle options. do you want regular 135mm, or solid axle options... what about 150mm? The BB will be 73mm for reference.

Over to you guys... hit me with your feedback and suggestions. I'm all ears!
    Last edited by builttoride; 06-04-2010 at 05:28 AM.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    The designs has been optimised around a 32 tooth chainring (normally I got around 34-36 for 26ers, but obviously for a 26er the gearing drops at the front on average). Less chainstretch and antisquat than most my 26" designs (although similar curve profile), due to larger wheels requiring a less rearward axle path to roll fast over the rough stuff.
    I like this a lot! If there is one thing I would change on the Spitfire is the amount of anti-squat in little ring. It's not even a pedal feedback thing, it just feels funny climbing technical stuff with a suspension that wants to stay so high up in the travel. I don't know if it is even possible to maintain the axle path of the middle ring and its awesome ability to smooth out the terrain, while reducing chainstretch below sag in 22-26t.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    I like this a lot! If there is one thing I would change on the Spitfire is the amount of anti-squat in little ring. It's not even a pedal feedback thing, it just feels funny climbing technical stuff with a suspension that wants to stay so high up in the travel. I don't know if it is even possible to maintain the axle path of the middle ring and its awesome ability to smooth out the terrain, while reducing chainstretch below sag in 22-26t.
    Not really unless I introduced an idler puller (shudder at the thought!) or massively increase the brake squat.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    OK Keith, here's my thoughts........I've never riden a bike with that slack a HA before, except around a showroom and it felt weird, slackest I think I've riden is 69-70, but I guess it depends on what your final design goals are for the bike - more Agro XC/AM I'd think a bit steeper angle around 69 static would work, more AM/Light FR then I guess the slacker angle. For me it's all about the climbing, a bike has to climb well for me as I enjoy paying for the downs

As to the suspension design around a 32t ring I think that says it all for me. From what you've said so far I envision this will be a dual ring setup type bike and most dual rign setup these days is something like 22-24/34-36 and being that you feel pedal feedback/kickback when climbing in the granny/smal ring and knowing that most aren't superman and would be peddaling in the granny I wonder how it will ride/climb like this - I personally run 24/38 so I have enough top end for long road or smooth stretches, so there's not much chance once I hit a real trail that I'll stay in the 38 ring. Have no clue what ring size my current ride is designed around, but it does climb well.

As to actual travel....if the rear is designed around 140mm, don't even mention a 120mm fork angle or even think about it IMHO. In the few years riding, I have never been one to think of running less travel on the front than rear, always more, if the travel is to not be matched, let the rear be less, fron is normally where you need more.

Replaceable drop outs on both side for normal 10mm/QR and then 12mm I think would be a great thing. I already know your stance on the silly 142mm standard so know you won't be going there but I'm wondering if an option of either 135 or 150 is a plausable thing? Thinking along the lines that depending on what/how you want to buld it up and what parts you might already bhave and want cross compatability it might be a nice option. Me personally I'd think a 150mm rear would be the way to go if only 1 option, since on 29er wheels you want to take as much advantage to get the stiffest wheel possible to offset those longer spokes.

How come bearings and not bushings?

Hope maybe someof this was/is helpful.
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-04-2010 at 05:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Head angle - 67.5 degrees eith 140mm fork, (about 68.5 degrees with 120mm)
    Wow, this is probably the slackest 29er world!

Fully sealed INA bearings throughout (probably running on full titanium axles and bolts like the legend).
    Why bearings and not bushings like Spitfire/Rune?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've set travel at a highly efficient 140mm (trust me it will pedal as well as most 120mm bikes).This is a perfect place to be in travel. One of the longer travel 29ers out there.

Currently I've gone with following rough overall geometry, but a lot will nodoubt be tweaked as things progress...

Head angle - 67.5 degrees eith 140mm fork, (about 68.5 degrees with 120mm)67.5 is what my Lenz Lunch box is and that is perfect for climbing and all around riding. I never feel that it is too slack
    effective seat Angle - 74 degreesPerfect. I hate being way over the rear tire
    CS length - 17.4"Great and flickable
    BB height (with 140mm forks and avaerage 2.3" tires) - roughly 13.6"Would like it a little higher. Maybe around 14" but I can live with it. Lots of rocks in the east coast. Hate pedal strikes

I'm going to go with full 1.5" head tube... this opens up most fork options as well as angle reducer cups if desired.Great. Not much to say here but perfect

Shock will be 7.875x2.25" (designed around large volume air shock, like rune, and leverage curve will be kind of similar)My cane creek will fit plus all other great air shocks will fit.

The designs has been optimised around a 32 tooth chainring (normally I got around 34-36 for 26ers, but obviously for a 29er the gearing drops at the front on average). Less chainstretch and antisquat than most my 26" designs (although similar curve profile), due to larger wheels requiring a less rearward axle path to roll fast over the rough stuff.Great I pedal most in my 32 but has to pedal great in a 22.

the normal 30.9mm seat post and will have cable routing for remote posts.

Standard shock hardwear with 8mm bolts front and back.

ISCG 05Just make sure Hammers will fit just in case

All in all it sounds like a perfect bike.
    Just make sure the XL has a 25.25 or 25.5 top tube and around a 20" seat tube with alot of clearence over the TT.
    I would like it to be 150mm maxle rear end. I think it builds a little stronger wheel. But a 135 option is also good for the people with 135mm rear wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    One more thing. Make it strong enough so I can slap my dorado on the bike and take it to lift access places.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The pedal kickback is not that significant in 22tooth chainring (about half that of the rune for reference). I'd rather make a bike pedal well in a wider range of chainring sizes, than focus on 22 tooth chainring, and make it AWFUL for larger sizes. It will pedal well in 22toother, maybe not optimum, but certainly not badly.

The slack head angle will help with climbing (yes I know it goes against all you have been told (marketing BS), but think about it... it makes the front lower and puts weight further forward to keep the front wheel on the ground... ) only place where there is a down side is on tight switchbacks... but 2 degrees on a tight switchback really doesn't make that much difference. But I'm willing to adjust if thats what everyone wants... I will not go steeper than 68.5 tho, as the bike will not climb as well or descend as well... or be as much fun!

Ask a spitfire owner about how well their bike climbs with 66 degree head angle... you may be surprised... but bear in mind that the antisquat characteristics I design into all VF4B bikes keeps them high in the travel when under power, which when combined with 74 degree seat angle makes then climb a LOT better than full sus bikes that sag backwards putting your weight way over the back wheel.

This bike is aimed at agressive trail - all mountain riding. (bit of a cross between spitfire and rune but with big wheels).

I can make BB height slightly higher if that is what people want, but don't want to go as high as 14" maybe 13.8" max. BB height has such a massive effect on how a bike performs that I want to keep it in my planned range, but am open to your suggestiongs to adjust within range (13.6 +- 0.25").

Bearing v's bushings: We have had a lot of sucess with our bushing systems, but they rely very heavily on regular maintenance to keep them running peachy. Our experience with this has told us that although most of you guys are nicely on top of that, our average customer wants less maintenance time and more ride time. Seems fair to me, so I have been listening to what feedback we have been recieving and adjusting acordingly. I'm using very common bearings so will be cheap to replace if needed, but they really should last years without any issues as I'm actually specing proper sized bearing for the loads... I know... in this industry that seems like madness! haha
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The pedal kickback is not that significant in 22tooth chainring (about half that of the rune for reference). I'd rather make a bike pedal well in a wider range of chainring sizes, than focus on 22 tooth chainring, and make it AWFUL for larger sizes. It will pedal well in 22toother, maybe not optimum, but certainly not badly.This sound great. Most of my pedaling is done in the 32 so make it pedal better there. Can deal with slight pedal kick in the 22.

The slack head angle will help with climbing (yes I know it goes against all you have been told (marketing BS), but think about it... it makes the front lower and puts weight further forward to keep the front wheel on the ground... ) only place where there is a down side is on tight switchbacks... but 2 degrees on a tight switchback really doesn't make that much difference. But I'm willing to adjust if thats what everyone wants... I will not go steeper than 68.5 tho, as the bike will not climb as well or descend as well... or be as much fun!
    Keep it slack. Make the bike much more fun. People will get used to how to ride it on tight switch backs.
    Ask a spitfire owner about how well their bike climbs with 66 degree head angle... you may be surprised... but bear in mind that the antisquat characteristics I design into all VF4B bikes keeps them high in the travel when under power, which when combined with 74 degree seat angle makes then climb a LOT better than full sus bikes that sag backwards putting your weight way over the back wheel.

This bike is aimed at agressive trail - all mountain riding. (bit of a cross between spitfire and rune but with big wheels).

I can make BB height slightly higher if that is what people want, but don't want to go as high as 14" maybe 13.8" max. BB height has such a massive effect on how a bike performs that I want to keep it in my planned range, but am open to your suggestiongs to adjust within range (13.6 +- 0.25"). All I know is the problems I had with my Spec with the 13" BB. I had so many crank and pedal strikes. So 13.6 to 13.8 would be fine. Just want the bike to carve turns well

Bearing v's bushings: We have had a lot of sucess with our bushing systems, but they rely very heavily on regular maintenance to keep them running peachy. Our experience with this has told us that although most of you guys are nicely on top of that, our average customer wants less maintenance time and more ride time. Seems fair to me, so I have been listening to what feedback we have been recieving and adjusting acordingly. I'm using very common bearings so will be cheap to replace if needed, but they really should last years without any issues as I'm actually specing proper sized bearing for the loads... I know... in this industry that seems like madness! haha
    Bearing please
    I think this bike you have here will be a winner. I cant wait for it.

WNC Native
    Thanks for the update!

Sounds great to me! I think the HT angle probably will work well with what the bike is intended for. I've never been on anything slacker than 69, but that is a HT too.

I personally don't think I'd want the BB height any higher than where you have it, DEFINITELY not lower.

I agree also that 150mm rear probably will suit the bike the best, but I also would like to see it offered with a 135mm or 150mm option.

Everything else looks just dandy!

beater
    Awesome- thanks for the update, and for listening. This is probably my favorite thread on MTBR at the moment.

I guess you don't know anything more than any of us do about bigger forks coming down the road, huh?

I like everything you've laid out. I'm currently on a WFO9, and the HTA (~70 with a 44) is a bit steep for my liking, particularly in babyhead piles.

I have a 150mm rear hub, and want to see the Claymore have that option. This bike is going to invite abuse from bigger guys, and it just makes sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Does this mean you're going to use bearings with future batches of Spitfire and Rune?

what's that rattle?
    The bike sounds good all around. I just hope that by 2012 there will be some 35-36mm stanchion forks to keep up with it!

I've never really been convinced that a 150mm hub is a good match for a 73mm BB shell - especially with two rings and a bashguard. A 135mm rear end convertible between QR and solid is the best option in my mind. Lots of people mention the Maxle, but how about some kind of tapered system?

Since an effective seat angle and e-type front derailleur are mentioned, I imagine some sort of curved or interrupted seat tube is going to be used. How much seatpost adjustment is going to be possible?

Cracker
    The Rune needs bearings !!!!!
    It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld
    The bike sounds good all around. I just hope that by 2012 there will be some 35-36mm stanchion forks to keep up with it!

I've never really been convinced that a 150mm hub is a good match for a 73mm BB shell - especially with two rings and a bashguard. A 135mm rear end convertible between QR and solid is the best option in my mind. Lots of people mention the Maxle, but how about some kind of tapered system?

Since an effective seat angle and e-type front derailleur are mentioned, I imagine some sort of curved or interrupted seat tube is going to be used. How much seatpost adjustment is going to be possible?
    Never had a hint of a problem with my 150mm rear and 73mm BB shell on my LunchBox or on my Knoll V-Tach. More if a myth if you ask me.

mtbr member
    please don't change the HA, if it is too slack for some they can use the K9 cups to steepen things up.

the only other input I really have is that I hope this bike comes out soon. I am sick of my RIP.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Keep the HA slack. Too many steep HA 29ers already. Break the mold and challenge the conception that 29ers can't be ridden in technical terrain - don't build a bike for plum-smuggling paved trails
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    Never had a hint of a problem with my 150mm rear and 73mm BB shell on my LunchBox or on my Knoll V-Tach. More if a myth if you ask me.
    I've got a Socom that works fine 73/150, only real issues are with initial setup and faster chain wear. Knolly, Santa Cruz and Intense have recently changed or gotten rid of 73/150 bikes in their lineups, does anyone other than Niner and Lenz even sell bikes setup that way?

You're talking about running a Dorado on this thing...maybe an 83mm shell is a better answer??

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounding good!

Head angle sounds spot on. Im running a 68.5 on my 29 HT and I do wish for more at times. For an aggressive trail bike, slack it out ( i.e. Spitfire) This also helps with toe overlap.

BB: PLEASE don't go any higher! Lower if anything! The Spitfire shines because of this! Combine a low BB with the axle drop of 29" wheel and you have unbelievable stability and low CG. A cornering machine. I have no problem with pedal strikes on my 13" bb 6" bike. I realize people will have different onions on this, but this is what make a 29er work so well. Put a 14" bb on the thing and your just riding so darn high. You will have to run a taller front end to get the same reach and stack. Having a lower front end is just another piece in the puzzle of a well handling bike. I guess it just depends on what your after. I say your after a bike that not intended to win a marathon race or mellow XC through the woods ( although Im sure it could do it well) but a bike that is intended be ridden aggressively.

Not a fan of steep seat tubes but I understand you have to make room for the big rear wheel. The plus of a suspension design that has some rear wheel path, is that it moves away from the seat tube and allows for more clearance and shorter stays (the SC tallboy can run 72 seat tube with a 120 fork because of this) plus small bump is oh so good.

Bushings/ bearing: ???

I vote for tapered HT. Its becoming the standard and just looks better ( in my onion.) Now that flat, wide DH bars are out, we are all good.

Tabs: YES!

Direct mount der: cool!

Remote seat post tabs: Thank you

And I think Im the only guy in North America that still loves at least one set of bottle mounts 
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Dont get me wrong I think a 83mm BB would be great but if he want to run a 135 and 150 rear i am not sure if 83 would be ok for the 135.
    If it is a dedicated 150mm rear then 83mm is the way to go.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    BB: PLEASE don't go any higher! Lower if anything! The Spitfire shines because of this! Combine a low BB with the axle drop of 29" wheel and you have unbelievable stability and low CG. A cornering machine. I have no problem with pedal strikes on my 13" bb 6" bike. I realize people will have different onions on this, but this is what make a 29er work so well. Put a 14" bb on the thing and your just riding so darn high. You will have to run a taller front end to get the same reach and stack. Having a lower front end is just another piece in the puzzle of a well handling bike. I guess it just depends on what your after. I say your after a bike that not intended to win a marathon race or mellow XC through the woods ( although Im sure it could do it well) but a bike that is intended be ridden aggressively.
    Yeah, and fair enough, but personally I don't want a cornering machine. I want an aggressive bike for bashing through chunk.

But obviously it's Banshee's call as to what they want the frame to do, and what meets the needs of their market.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    - don't build a bike for plum-smuggling paved trails
    Lee hit's it.

Those specs sound great. Also don't fold to 1x10 being the future, it's a poor trend. If someone is only going to do either fairly flat riding or only ride with fresh legs it's a farce to say they can ride everything with a single 32/34 front ring.

Anyone doing daily back to back 2/3 hr rides on real trails will agree that a 2x front is needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree I need a granny