Chain falling into drop out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Chain falling into drop out

I am having a problem with my chian falling into the space between the small cog and the dropout. It occurs on fast and rough descents. Sometimes I can shift and pedal the chain out. Most of the time though I have to get off my bike and put the chain back on.

I am riding a 2015 Rune with 142x12 26" dropouts. Hub is a Hope Pro 2 Evo. Cassette is 10 speed with a 42t cog added.

I have tried closing off the space using tape and velcro, but the chain just tears through it and gets into the space anyway. Any one else have this problem and a solution?

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    sounds like a simple derailure limit screw? Turning in the "H" limit screw about 1/2 turn on the rear derailure should work. If you haven't messed with one before or don't know what I'm talking about, do a youtube search for "bike derailure setup".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have played with the high limit screw. I have turned it in until it shifts into the 9th cog, then backed it off until it barely shifts into the small cog. unfortunately, it still happens.

mtbr member
    If you're sure your bike is setup properly, I'd then say gear choice. If you're all the way down in the 11T gear during descents, maybe time to replace that front chainring to a 36T NW so you're up in the 15T area. And double check the clutch is engaged and working properly. Might have broken the derailure's clutch at some point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oddly enough, it sometimes falls from a few cogs higher than the 11t cog as well. The derailleur is a month old, clutch tension seems ok.

I have run a 34t NW occaisonally, can't remember if i had the problem with it or not. I usually run a 32t

mtbr member
    More info would let others help more What cranks are you running, 1x, 2x? Have you sized your chain properly? My guess would be your chain is too long or if you recently went to the 42 cog on a normal 10spd setup made to run a 36t and have increased chain length that your RD cage is not long enough to handle all that chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm running 1x10. Have been running it all year with a 42t, ive been through several chains. I've changed the chain length by a link or 2 to the point it was too short and wouldn't get full travel when in the large cog, the chain still fell into the dropout. with a slightly longer chain it still happens. I am wondering if it is a banshee specific problem, or how my hub interacts with the dropout. Other bikes I have quickly checked do not have the same amount of space between the small cog and frame. I assume other people have run hope hubs on their banshee.

mtbr member
    So, what you're saying is that from brand new this has been happening? That's truly weird, lots of other riders riding Rune's with 142x12 drop outs, first I've heard this "problem". I'm not a 1X fan and this is one reason why, having to run a chain that allows you to run in the big cog and smallest cog, to me leaves the chain too long for optimal use in the smaller cogs at the end of the cassette. Got any pics of your setup? Would maybe be helpful to see from directly behind with the chain on the smallest cog.

How's the shifting, any issues? Just wondering if the shifting isn't perfect maybe you have a bent hanger - they do sometimes come bent
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    A sticky freehub might cause this problem. Essentially - instead of freecoasting when you don't pedal, the freehub makes about 1/2 turns, slacking chain on the power side of the drivetrain. Then it finally lets loose, and chain gets its tension back - quite violently. Then the cycle repeats itsself.

During this it is extremely easy to get a chain drop.

It usually happens with heavy cassettes and during the use of small cogs.

Set the 32/11 gear and start backpedaling - if the chain gets too slack then that is iyour problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I too have experienced this as well running 1x10 with my rune same spacing with 650b drops. I put some mastic tape to close the available space for the chain to drop into and it has helped a bit. I would recommend if its possible that banshee consider placing a bit tighter tolerance there to eliminate the void that a chain can enter. I have now purposefully checked some other drop out areas on friends bikes and notice most wouldn't be able to fit a chain between the bottom end of the cassette and the frame even if the chain did derail off the cassette.

mtbr member
    If that is the case, I'd go with something a bit more substantial and stick some form of washer in the drop outs to block the space - maybe a piece of PVC pipe. Sorry can't confirm or deny, as I don't use 142x12 drop outs, have had no issues with my 135x10 or 150x12 drop outs.

Quote Originally Posted by S Dub View Post
    I too have experienced this as well running 1x10 with my rune same spacing with 650b drops. I put some mastic tape to close the available space for the chain to drop into and it has helped a bit. I would recommend if its possible that banshee consider placing a bit tighter tolerance there to eliminate the void that a chain can enter. I have now purposefully checked some other drop out areas on friends bikes and notice most wouldn't be able to fit a chain between the bottom end of the cassette and the frame even if the chain did derail off the cassette.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The chance that this has anything to do with the frame is slim. Have you made sure the derailleur hanger is straight? Have you checked the chain tension through the suspension cycle? You say you've been through a number of chains but don't mention changing the cassette. How old is the cassette? Are you running a clutch derailleur? Is the clutch actually working?

mtbr member
    I have had this problem with my bike new as 2x and still with every drivetrain part changed in my 1x setup. It happens shifting under even light power from highest to lower gears. I am going to try to block the gap with something and if it doesn't work sell my bike. 3 bike mechanics tried to fix it with no luck. Very frustrating as I love the rest of the bike.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    I have had this problem with my bike new as 2x and still with every drivetrain part changed in my 1x setup. It happens shifting under even light power from highest to lower gears. I am going to try to block the gap with something and if it doesn't work sell my bike. 3 bike mechanics tried to fix it with no luck. Very frustrating as I love the rest of the bike.
    I fixed the problem when I switched to a shimano drivetrain. What drivetrain are you using?

mtbr member
    Shimano first now with a sunrace cassette

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Same problem some time ago with my Rune, Sunrace 11-42 and Zee clutch almost new. It wasn't problem of the low limit of the Zee, I tried to adjust it for It can't shift por the 11t and still happening.

My solution was to put a new up chainring on the cranks, and a plastic "circle" between the freehub and the nut of the cassette. Since then, never happening again.
    Banshee Rune V2 - Mondraker Summum
    :drumroll:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamites View Post
    Same problem some time ago with my Rune, Sunrace 11-42 and Zee clutch almost new. It wasn't problem of the low limit of the Zee, I tried to adjust it for It can't shift por the 11t and still happening.

My solution was to put a new up chainring on the cranks, and a plastic "circle" between the freehub and the nut of the cassette. Since then, never happening again.
    Hmm that's interesting. Mind putting a couple pictures of that fix on here so I can see? Where did you get the plastic piece from? Thanks.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips