Cane Creek Angleset question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cane Creek Angleset question

Hey guys,

I couldn't think of which forum to post this question in, so I decided to start here...

I put a CC Angleset headset on my Rune awhile ago and can't seem to get rid of a slight "pop" type noise when doing my ride against a curb test to see if everything's solid (just a slow ride into a 4-ish inch curb side to see how it takes bumps).
    It sounds like the steer tube is readjusting on the initial bump against the curb... but then there's another "pop" when the rear wheel hits the curb. Would that be readjusting back, or I need to tighten up my rear shock bolts also?

I've loosened then re-tightened everything in the front more a few times. I've tried a different fork to see if that was the issue and still get the "pop".

Is there suppose to be slight movement because of that gimbal system they use, or should it behave like any other headset and be silent?

I attribute the noise to the headset since the sound wasn't there before I put it in, but the rear end also making the same noise (at least it sounds like it's coming from the back) when the back tracks over the curb has me wondering. I thought I've looked over everything and made sure all bolts are snug (not overtight) and pivots are moving alright.

Sorry if this was a bit long winded, and thanks for any suggestions to, hopefully, silencing my bike.

crazyhouse
    Last edited by crazyhouse_5; 07-13-2011 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I have an angle set on my Rune as well and I get the same "pop". It's the gimble moving that you hear. Mine doesn't do it very often. Make sure you have the proper torque on the headset bolt. The angle set needs more torque than a typical headset.

First time this happened, I thought I cracked the frame, lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I read somewhere that you can put some anti-seaze on the gimbal and it helps with that. After reading that this is a common issue I would go with Works cups over the angleset

all day long
    I had a CC angleset on my Rune and had the same issues you are having. That constant popping and moving isn't good (IMO). I already had to replace one of the bearings. I had a shop re-install it, and it was good for a little while, then it got tight. Not sticky tight, but tight as if I gorilla torqued the thing down. That was the last straw. I threw in the towel and went with a Works 2 degree. No issues...so far. Since the cups are fixed and not on gimbles, I think it should solve the problem.
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

mtbr member
    Ah, ok, I didn't know if it was just me, or not. I guess I didn't read around enough to hear that that was an issue, even though when looking at the gimbals I was wondering what keeps them from moving around a bit.
    It would seem that, over time, that kind of movement wouldn't be all that great. But maybe it's just stress on the gimbals and cups and not the steer tube and crown?

The fixed Works headset, then, does look like it would make more sense if you're not going to be playing around with the angles. I'll have to see how annoying this sound gets to see if it's worth keeping, or not.

Thanks for the replies,

crazyhouse

mtbr member
    damnit, i have an angleset purchased and awaiting install. not the thread i want to see!

can anyone speak up that HAS NOT had this issue on the Rune? the gimbles should not move

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhouse_5 View Post
    ... but then there's another "pop" when the rear wheel hits the curb. Would that be readjusting back, or I need to tighten up my rear shock bolts also?
    if its the same sounding "pop" then its gotta be the gimbles moving again.

as your rear wheel makes contact and is pulled rearward, it is going to put an opposite force on the headset and steerer. since you say it happens at slow speed, sounds like even that relatively small force would be enough to produce the same pop

haha, i just read the thread, freaked for a min, then decided im still going to give these a shot. seems like its all about getting these gimbles seated well.

a quick search produced this:

"...told by Josh, one of the Cane Creek engineers, that he felt the trick to getting the gimbalís installed right the first time was to first start with the lower cup. Install the bearing in the gimbal and place it on top of crown race on the fork. Then slide the assembly up together into the lower cup. After that step, assemble the top gimbal with the bearing and compression ring without it being on the fork. With the assembled top gimbal/bearing/compression ring in one step install it in all together as the compression ring needs to be inside of the bearing to seat correctly."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    can anyone speak up that HAS NOT had this issue on the Rune? the gimbles should not move
    i've got an angleset on my rune, only have 5 rides on it so far but no noise or issues with the hs, and i'm digging the slacker and lower stuff. installed the gimbles and bearings following cc's advice that you posted

mtbr member
    if you read the dh forum there are quite a few having this issue with the angleset. i have works cups on my rune and am very happy. just ordered their new 1 1/8" 1 degree headset for my hardtail.

cane creek is a great company and i'm sure they will warranty them if they have a major issue. sucks though as i had high hopes for the angleset.

mtbr member
    Ok, I'll give it another go at taking it apart then using that process, which sounds like the same in their tech video, and seeing how things go.
    Admittedly, when I put this last fork in, I think the lower gimbal was still wedged in the cup, so I left it and moved it around while seating the top parts.

It's good to know some people haven't had the noise, maybe there's hope as I loved the change... but then that could also have partly been due to going from the external type the the zero stack on the headset.

And thanks for the conformation, RidetheBiscuit, it is the same "pop" when the rear wheel hits the curb.
    I wouldn't think there is a need to freak I just assumed it was something on my end that I might have overlooked and needed to change.
    During a ride it's not so noticeable (just annoying) since I'm not deliberately trying to ram straight on into a square edge.

crazyhouse

all day long
    The "trick" to the CC is not to assemble it like a traditional headset sliding everything one by one, but rather pre-load and sandwich it all together at once. It did work for a little while, but then started getting the same issues again.

To save you some bones, you might want to try it again before going to the Works. BTW, Works manufactures their own cups, but all the other pieces are sourced through Cane Creek. Same crown, bearings, etc.
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

mtbr member
    installed the angleset on my Rune last week. I only have 2 rides on it, but they were on some DH shuttles that is much more demanding than what I normally ride (if anyone is familiar with Windrock in TN).

No popping or any other problems, and i even bottomed out the fork a few times on these rides. perhaps CC has the problems worked out in the newer batches of these

i am running the -1.5* cup, and it really is like a whole different bike. I need more time to really comment but so far im really diggin it. especially how it feels in the air; much more stable and confidence inspiring in the air

mtbr member
    It's interesting reading this thread, as I am awaiting a warranty replacement for my CC angleset! After only 3 rides (on a Rune) I heard the popping and then a cracking. After removing the fork to investigate the problem I found my lower bearing in about 10 pieces. The headset was installed in conjunction with watching the CC video. When I called them I was told they have not heard of this problem before. I wil try the replacement when it finally gets here and give it one more chance before moving on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    It's interesting reading this thread, as I am awaiting a warranty replacement for my CC angleset! After only 3 rides (on a Rune) I heard the popping and then a cracking. After removing the fork to investigate the problem I found my lower bearing in about 10 pieces. The headset was installed in conjunction with watching the CC video. When I called them I was told they have not heard of this problem before. I wil try the replacement when it finally gets here and give it one more chance before moving on!
    when was your angleset purchased? it seems like they may have had a chance to work out the issue...i guarantee they've known about the issue for at least a few good months and must have been hard at work for a solution

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    when was your angleset purchased? it seems like they may have had a chance to work out the issue...i guarantee they've known about the issue for at least a few good months and must have been hard at work for a solution
    Purchased it about 6 weeks ago. Im interested to know what model and fork peps are using? Mine is the zs49/ec49 for the 1.5 HT and tapered steer (fox float 36 160)

mtbr member
    well, third ride and i finally got a creaking sound...not a lould pop but a creak. really puts the creak in cane creek

i have the new internal headset with three angle adjustments that goes in a 1.5 HT and 1-1/8 steerer....dont feel like looking it up at the moment

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    oh man, this thread is bad mojo. a month after someone posted the "cracked my rune" thread i found a crack in my frame. i've got about 10 rides on my new frame with an angleset and so far so good: looks good, light weight, installed easy and the adjustment has been all that... wish i hadn't seen this thread though, now i can't stop expecting the other shoe to drop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    oh man, this thread is bad mojo. a month after someone posted the "cracked my rune" thread i found a crack in my frame. i've got about 10 rides on my new frame with an angleset and so far so good: looks good, light weight, installed easy and the adjustment has been all that... wish i hadn't seen this thread though, now i can't stop expecting the other shoe to drop
    seriously, man.

oh well, though.

couple observations: A) i've already been loving what it did to my bike's geo and
    B) all i've seen reported are people getting really annoyed; i have not seen any instances where this issue caused any damage to the frame (can anyone point to any)

maybe there have been issues where people have loaded it down so tight that they caused bearing damage, but i intend to ride mine till something gets worked out

i live about an hour's drive from CaneCreek HQ, so i will pay them a visit sometime and let you all know if there was any satisfactory resolution

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Know this is specific to Banshee Bikes but didn't see it being discussed anywhere else so I wanted to ask you guys if you think this looks wrong. Seems to me I shouldn't be able to see the top of the crown race... Tried taking the headset apart, but the gimbals were stuck and I wanted to ask what the best method was to get them out? Thanks for any help you can provide. Maybe I should have used the crown race that came with the headset? I'm also getting the little bit of slop or pop that you guys are talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cane Creek Angleset question-stuck-gimbal.jpg  

You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    ^doesnt look right to me. you could always get a better look by putting the bottom bearing by itself on the race and see if it fits right.

you can pop out the gimbals with a flat screwdriver...doesnt take much force

my bottom bearing is already toast, and its only been a month! CC has given the shop where I bought a replacement, but thats still bad news. looks like the works HS i would need is out of stock, so ill keep trying to get this to work

there is a more detailed thread on this in the DH forum

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PointMe View Post
    Know this is specific to Banshee Bikes but didn't see it being discussed anywhere else so I wanted to ask you guys if you think this looks wrong. Seems to me I shouldn't be able to see the top of the crown race... Tried taking the headset apart, but the gimbals were stuck and I wanted to ask what the best method was to get them out? Thanks for any help you can provide. Maybe I should have used the crown race that came with the headset? I'm also getting the little bit of slop or pop that you guys are talking about.
    You shouldalways use the crown race that cones with a Headset asmost of the companies have slightly different angles of bearing contact or sizing.

It doesn't look like the bearings are touching the crown race and the contact point is on the steerer itself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PointMe View Post
    Maybe I should have used the crown race that came with the headset?
    ya think?