boosted fork with phantom 142 on the rear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

boosted fork with phantom 142 on the rear

I am starting a build on a 2015 frame- my question is is anyone using a boosted fork up front- i found better deals on them than non-boosted. Or should i just get it without? thanks

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    I am starting a build on a 2015 frame- my question is is anyone using a boosted fork up front- i found better deals on them than non-boosted. Or should i just get it without? thanks
    I did this in order to fit my b+ Dirt Wizards on the front with Fox 34 boost 29. Used the boost spacers for my standard 100mm hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah think I'm just going to get the boosted fork With a 142 rear

mtbr member
    If you don't already have the wheels and have to buy, then don't get the 142x12 drop outs, get the 150x12, especially if you plan on running big 29er tyres or B+ tyres. You get a much stronger wheel, with much better chainline and added clearance over even 148x12 boost.

Yeah think I'm just going to get the boosted fork With a 142 rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Lynx, i do not have the wheels yet. My rear end is 142, will 150 slide in there? if so, then 150 it is. What do i need to do. Thanks for this info as i have been shopping for wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you don't already have the wheels and have to buy, then don't get the 142x12 drop outs, get the 150x12, especially if you plan on running big 29er tyres or B+ tyres. You get a much stronger wheel, with much better chainline and added clearance over even 148x12 boost.

mtbr member
    Yes, if you buy the 150x12 drop outs for the frame, that is the beauty of Banshees modular drop out system, easy to upgrade or keep future proof. Banshee 150mm Drop Outs > B > Banshee Bikes | Jenson USA

As for your wheels, you would need to get them with a 150x12 hub, which might require getting a set custom built for you, 142x12 would open up options in terms of pre-built wheels.

Lynx, i do not have the wheels yet. My rear end is 142, will 150 slide in there? if so, then 150 it is. What do i need to do. Thanks for this info as i have been shopping for wheels.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    nice, thats what i wanted to hear. thought i was stuck with it and was second guessing my choice. now I'm glad i made this choice.

What is the wides tire i can put on there?

mtbr member
    What size, 29ers or 650B+? The Phantom can run either. You can pretty much run the widest "normal" 29er tyre on the market without issue, you can also run a 3" B+ tyre in the regular drop outs, if you purchase the 650B/long drop outs you can then run 29x3" on it as well.

Was thinking about this last night and the only downside I came up with going to the 150x12 rear and wheels is if you don't stick to one frame for very long, as not a lot of manufacturers offer that size and you would find 142x12 much more popular, although with 148x12 out now that may become hard. That being said, can't see how you wouldn't stick with the Phantom for along time, it's such a great bike that is much more than the stated 105mm of rear travel.

nice, thats what i wanted to hear. thought i was stuck with it and was second guessing my choice. now I'm glad i made this choice.

What is the widest tire i can put on there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I bought this bike to keep for a long time.. What hubs are you using? Trying to get an idea on what it would cost me to go 150. The 150x12 dropouts are reasonable but trying to get a figure on wheels. Probably looking at stand flow mk3 unless there are other recommendations. Probably going to go with a three inch tire.

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    I bought this bike to keep for a long time.. What hubs are you using? Trying to get an idea on what it would cost me to go 150. The 150x12 dropouts are reasonable but trying to get a figure on wheels. Probably looking at stand flow mk3 unless there are other recommendations. Probably going to go with a three inch tire.
    If you're planning on using 3" wide tires, I would recommend using a rim that's at least 35mm internal width. I would recommend Spank Oozy Trail395+.

Also, if you're planning on doing 29+, you're going to need the 650b dropouts for the tire to fit with enough clearance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I see three options here- which one should I purchase? a, b, or c

Also what hubs? not trying to break the bank here. The. spank oozy's are reasonably priced. I might need to just purchase everything and have someone build them up up. I couldn't find a built set online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boosted fork with phantom 142 on the rear-screen-shot-2017-02-12-12.57.30-pm.png  

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    I see three options here- which one should I purchase? a, b, or c

Also what hubs? not trying to break the bank here. The. spank oozy's are reasonably priced. I might need to just purchase everything and have someone build them up up. I couldn't find a built set online.
    B if you're going 27.5+, C if you're going 29+

mtbr member
    OK, so if you're planning on holding onto it for along time, then definitely for me 150x12 is the way to go, especially if you're planning on running any PLUS tyres.
    As to hubs, when I originally tried 150x12 I went as cheap as I could find and got a Nukeproof one, it was on sale just above $100 US and had very good flange designs using as much as the width as possible, it actually let me build with an Asym rim. Unfortunately the pawls/engagement system doesn't seem to be so good and have had to replace a few pawls a few times. I've just built up a Hope Pro4 150x12 normal version and of course, it's very nice, the colour I like, also for the $$ I find it hard to beat them. This one has 44 points of engagement. Be careful when shopping as they also offer a 150x12 DH hub and that in fact uses a short cassette designed to only run 7 or so cogs, not a full cassette.

Also agree that if you plan on going for 3" tyres, get a rim with a min internal width of 35mm.

This is correct
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    B if you're going 27.5+/29", C if you're going 29+

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    was looking at the hope pro4 150mm- looks like the cheapest is 200$ from chain reaction?

also, the Asym 125$ vs. Spank Oozy 180$ for the set (bare) is what I found to be the cheapest. 55$ price difference.

what hub and wheel size are you running up front? also what size is your fork (15x110)?
    really want to make this happen.

[QUOTE=LyNx;13037989]OK, so if you're planning on holding onto it for along time, then definitely for me 150x12 is the way to go, especially if you're planning on running any PLUS tyres.
    As to hubs, when I originally tried 150x12 I went as cheap as I could find and got a Nukeproof one, it was on sale just above $100 US and had very good flange designs using as much as the width as possible, it actually let me build with an Asym rim. Unfortunately the pawls/engagement system doesn't seem to be so good and have had to replace a few pawls a few times. I've just built up a Hope Pro4 150x12 normal version and of course, it's very nice, the colour I like, also for the $$ I find it hard to beat them. This one has 44 points of engagement. Be careful when shopping as they
    Last edited by Slow poke; 02-12-2017 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Yup CRC has about the best prices for individual parts, but Wiggle has some really good prices on complete wheels, sadly they don't offer either 150x12 hubs or wider rims suitable for PLUS in 29ers. I run 29x2.3" on my Phantom, found I prefer them to PLUS, although only tried one set of tyres in B+ and a quick tool around on some 29+. I was running i29 Asym rims when I was using the Nukeproof on the rear, but when I built up the Hope, all I had around was my old WTB ST i25 and so far it's been working pretty decent, have not felt the tyre rolling more like I dreaded. If you go for the Hope, you really want a normal drilled rim or the wheel will then be dished if you use a offset rim like the Asym. The new KORE Realm rims seem very nice, decent weight for a very good price, if they're ever in stock. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=5987

Run 100x15 on the front, Hope as well using an Asym rim. You didn't look at the Easton ARC rims, did you? They're on sale right now Easton Arc Plus MTB Rim | Chain Reaction Cycles

was looking at the hope pro4 150mm- looks like the cheapest is 200$ from chain reaction?

also, the Asym 125$ vs. Spank Oozy 180$ for the set (bare) is what I found to be the cheapest. 55$ price difference.

what hub and wheel size are you running up front? also what size is your fork (15x110)?really want to make this happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    yeah the Kore's look killer. The Eastons look ok, wonder how they will hold up. Do you know if the spank oozy is a normal drilled rim? Also, the rims will be 35 for both front and rear? man, 300$on hubs. I guess you have to pay to play with 150!!

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    yeah the Kore's look killer. The Eastons look ok, wonder how they will hold up. Do you know if the spank oozy is a normal drilled rim? Also, the rims will be 35 for both front and rear? man, 300$on hubs. I guess you have to pay to play with 150!!
    Yes, the Spank is a symmetric rim, with spoke holes drilled on center.

mtbr member
    Yes, as Carbine said, the Spanks are centre drilled. Remember though that that's for the rear, for the front an Asym rim still will help build a stronger wheel. As to pay to play for 150x12; you're not only paying for that reason, you're also paying to get i35> rims, which not a lot of manufacturers offer, not for the price you're looking for. Just in case it makes you feel any better, when you buy quality hubs and wheels, they can lat you many, many years and swap between several bikes - I've had a set of Pro2/Flows for going on 9 years this year, had to replace all bearings in the hubs once, freehub twice and re-built them twice, first with new spokes and then later replaced alu nipples to brass after the corroded within a couple years. Hubs are still going strong, about to replace the rims with something wider. They were my main wheels for about 5 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have been running Flow EX rims that I laced to a set of BHS hubs (link below) for 2 years and have loved them. No problems with the hubs at all. Can't recommend them enough. There is a great thread on the BHS MTB180 and MTB270 hubs here on MTBR.

I liked them so much I bought a 150x12 rear for my DH bike. It has also been solid. And what a deal! You should be able to get these hubs, a pair of the new Flow MK3 rims, and everything you'll need for sub $400. Either build them yourself or talk to your LBS and see if they'll build up this option for you.

Here's a link for the rear hub, and I'm sure you can find the MTB180 (standard spacing front hub) or the MTB110 (boosted front hub) on their disc hubs page. Note that they don't list the 150mm option for the rear hub, and you'll want to email/call Brandon to make sure he has a 150mm option in stock. When I did this, he had about 25 hubs sitting in the shop.
    Rear hub: MTB270 Rear Disc Hub

EDIT: Here is the MTBR thread on these hubs. http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...bs-948757.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well im all about doing it right the first time and having them last for years. So you would go Asym over spank/ flow or are you saying to use asym only on the front?

what about this hub. Just saw today

Shimano Saint Hub Rear M815 | Chain Reaction Cycles

[QUOTE=LyNx;13038828]Yes, as Carbine said, the Spanks are centre drilled. Remember though that that's for the rear, for the front an Asym rim still will help build a stronger wheel. As to pay to play for 150x12; you're not only paying for that reason, you're also paying to get i35> rims, which not a lot of manufacturers offer, not for the price you're looking for. Just in case it makes you feel any better, when you

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks, I have some reading to do. Lol. Thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out.

QUOTE=Lithified;13038906]I have been running Flow EX rims that I laced to a set of BHS hubs (link below) for 2 years and have loved them. No problems with the hubs at all. Can't recommend them enough. There is a great thread on the BHS MTB180 and MTB270 hubs here on MTBR.

I liked them so much I bought a 150x12 rear for my DH bike. It has also been solid. And what a deal! You should be able to get these hubs, a pair of the new Flow MK3 rims, and everything you'll need for sub $400. Either build them yourself or talk to your LBS and see if they'll build up this option for you.

Here's a link for the rear hub, and I'm sure you can find the MTB180 (standard spacing front hub) or the MTB110 (boosted front hub) on their disc hubs page. Note that they don't list the 150mm option for the rear hub, and you'll want to email/call Brandon to make sure he has a 150mm option in stock. When I did this, he had about 25 hubs sitting in the shop.
    Rear hub: MTB270 Rear Disc Hub

EDIT: Here is the MTBR thread on these hubs. http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...bs-948757.html[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Yeah, that would be a solution but for the fact that it's a 36 hole hub and you won't find much/many 36 hole rims in what you're looking at/for What I was saying about the Asym is to definitely use it for the front as no matter if it's the older 100x15 or 110x15, the flanges aren't spaced equally and hence will produce a dished wheel if you use a normal drilled rim. On the rear, depending on which hub you use a normal drilled might work better or an Asym, depending on hub flange spacing.

Well im all about doing it right the first time and having them last for years. So you would go Asym over spank/ flow or are you saying to use asym only on the front?

what about this hub. Just saw today

Shimano Saint Hub Rear M815 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    lol worth a shot- thanks for pointing that out. now I just need to choose and start building

Yeah, that would be a solution but for the fact that it's a 36 hole hub and you won't find much/many 36 hole rims in what you're looking at/for What I was saying about the Asym is to definitely use it for the front as no matter if it's the older 100x15 or 110x15, the flanges aren't spaced equally and hence will produce a dished wheel if you use a normal drilled rim. On the rear, depending on which hub you use a normal drilled might work better or an Asym, depending on hub flange spacing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Carbne, can you clarify that option c can be used with 29x3.0 chupacabra tires or other 29x3 tires.
    Thank you.

B if you're going 27.5+, C if you're going 29+

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    Carbne, can you clarify that option c can be used with 29x3.0 chupacabra tires or other 29x3 tires.
    Thank you.
    Slow poke - I haven't tried 29+ on my Phantom, but the following thread should help.

B+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

mtbr member
    According to my conversation with Jenson CS earlier today, you have the right drop outs, 150x12 for 650B=29+ drop outs for a Phantom/Prime. They told me the other listed drop outs listed as OLD are actually for the pre-production models.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    man thanks, just read it plus all the extra links there to other posts. Hopefully I will be able to post my findings on this build. I will buy tires last. will go to lbs shop and try them on first.

Slow poke - I haven't tried 29+ on my Phantom, but the following thread should help.

B+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks lynx, I called as well too but you probably described it better. lol. will let you all know soon. I went with the Arc40 rims and hope 4 hubs. Lets see how they turn out.

According to my conversation with Jenson CS earlier today, you have the right drop outs, 150x12 for 650B=29+ drop outs for a Phantom/Prime. They told me the other listed drop outs listed as OLD are actually for the pre-production models.