Which bike for Whistler "XC" including TOTW?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Which bike for Whistler "XC" including TOTW?

So guys down here are thinking about going on a bike trip, want somewhere where there's loads of trails right there, so suggested Whistler or maybe Squamish. If I'm out there I really want to do TOTW, but I'm a trail rider who likes tech and mainly keeping my wheels on the ground, so my question is.... Would the Phantom detract, or be "Too little bike" for the XC trails out there and TOTW, would it be better to take the Prime instead?
    Guys down here mainly ride bikes in the 120-140mm travel category, wanted to know if it was worth it to use these sorts of bikes out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Bnerd
    I don't think the Phantom would "detract" from any of the trails here. It just depends on how much margin for error you like to have!
    I mean, I've ridden my Kona Honzo, a hardtail, in the bike park (WBP) for shits and giggles. It was entertaining but it was punishing to myself and the bike. And, I know the lines.

I know you have a Prime. I would bring that. It will do the job. The only thing that will hold you back is yourself.
    I have a Prime and I've ridden everything Whistler has to offer both in and out of the Whistler Bike Park. The Prime is a solid machine for anything this region can throw at it.

If you're visiting Whistler and you organize yourself right you can hit up rides both in Squamish and Pemberton. I'd suggest basing yourself out of Whistler. Although, if you get a screaming deal on accommodation in Squamish and your plan is mostly to trail ride I'd do that. Really, you can't go wrong setting yourself up in either Whistler or Squamish.

If you do make it to Whistler let me know I'd like to meet you and go for a ride. If my schedule works out when you're here I can take you and your crew for a ride.

If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them as I live and coach mountain biking in Whistler.

mtbr member
    Hey RE, thanks for the reply, kind of what I figured as I rode the Prime for 2 years before I got the Phantom and on our trails it was a bit much and made things a bit too easy on most, but wasn't so overkill it made anything bad, just a tad heavier. It's looking like the guys now are talking more going to Colorado this year it seems, I've been there as well and know a bit about the place, but I'm sure planning to get out to ride up your side sometime very soon as I have family in Alberta and it's just unfair I haven't ridden in Canada yet.

Gave the guys these links and they were mightily impressed with the offerings. I'd like to give those trails a go, but I know things always don't look nearly as steep or sketchy in a POV video.
    Opening of Top of the World trail 2013 Video - Pinkbike
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXkglyH8Tog
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s55s8IEg0iQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0ck-LtLMI

Good to know you work in coaching, really would like to try and get some help with getting my wheels off the ground and not feeling so uncomfortable doing it. No such thing down here, have always said when I get back up to N.America I was going to try and do at least a day with a coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    While we're on the whistler topic... I'm heading there in July. Rune changes from what I'm using locally are

Dh casing tires
    No dropper post
    Few spacers under the stem

Any other suggestions? I have 200/180 rotors.... I could slap a 35 mm stem instead of a 50... Thoughts?
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

FM
    mtbr member
    I'll be there in July as well, July 22-29th!
    I'll be up with the fam, so hooking up for some rides would be great. I mainly prefer to ride outside of the park.

Junersun, are you Seattle area?

Lynx- if you haven't ridden whistler before, I would basically say you can't have too much bike, even %90 of the "XC" trails are double black in spots. You will also may notice, at the childrens playgrounds, there are no transitions at the bottom of the slides which are steeper than normal. It is the land of "Play Hard"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I'll be there in July as well, July 22-29th!
    I'll be up with the fam, so hooking up for some rides would be great. I mainly prefer to ride outside of the park.

Junersun, are you Seattle area?

Lynx- if you haven't ridden whistler before, I would basically say you can't have too much bike, even %90 of the "XC" trails are double black in spots. You will also may notice, at the childrens playgrounds, there are no transitions at the bottom of the slides which are steeper than normal. It is the land of "Play Hard"!
    Yep! July 8 though :-(
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Yep! July 8 though :-(
    Oh wells. Maybe see you at Tiger.

RideEverything, I'll hit you up closer to the dates!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Oh wells. Maybe see you at Tiger.

RideEverything, I'll hit you up closer to the dates!
    Haha sounds good. Tiger is good times. Predator is def worthy of banshee bikes
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    While we're on the whistler topic... I'm heading there in July. [...]
    I have 200/180 rotors [...]
    If you're not sub 75 kg, Definitely go 200/200!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MindPatterns View Post
    If you're not sub 75 kg, Definitely go 200/200!
    I am 200 lb (90 kg). I've had discussion among my riding friends about this. I couldn't decide because my primary brakes are my fronts. I could see it staying cooler for longer with 200's though...
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm ~ 82kg and riding 200/180 on my Rune, too. It's fine on trails and descents that are not too steep and do not last too long. Been in the Alps last year, riding everything from Park to WC tracks (Leogang). I wish I had taken the 200/200 combo. 180 in the rear didn't feel good there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MindPatterns View Post
    I'm ~ 82kg and riding 200/180 on my Rune, too. It's fine on trails and descents that are not too steep and do not last too long. Been in the Alps last year, riding everything from Park to WC tracks (Leogang). I wish I had taken the 200/200 combo. 180 in the rear didn't feel good there.
    Hmm ok I"ll def consider that... thanks! I also have Formula RO brakes and I'm afraid if I put 200's on there the on/off feel will be even more pronounced....
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL