Bearings - Pivots - Links...what a saga!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bearings - Pivots - Links...what a saga!

2015 Spitfire. Bought April 2015. Haven't touched bearings. Took the shock off and bike still cycled smoothly just a month ago. But recently it went to garbage and I developed quite a little clunk. I had a set of EnduroMAX bearings, and with a big event later this spring, I opted to go ahead and do the service.

Long and short is on the upper and lower links, rear axles, the axles seized to the bearings! They would spin with the bearing, albeit a bit chunky, but lord have mercy they wouldn't come out of the bearing. We ended up pressing the axles out of the frame, and they took the bearing with them! So the force holding the two together was strong enough to press the bearing out of the frame by pressing on the axle. Wow.

I am now having a helluva time sourcing parts. I need axles and a lower link (we damaged the lower link drilling out the axle a bit before pressing it out).

Perchance does anyone have any hardware sitting around? PM me if you do! Can't source the lower link anywhere (https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...ks-bottom-link) and have a few dealers inquiring with Banshee about how to get one from Taiwan. Also can't find the axles aside from full blown pivot kits (https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...link-pivot-kit). If someone has a cache of parts/hardware, I'd be all over it.

Lesson learned....do your bearings annually so stuff doesn't lock up. Actual pictures later, for now, here is what happened.

Bearings - Pivots - Links...what a saga!-u46gkgz.jpg

mtbr member

Bearings - Pivots - Links...what a saga!

I pull axles at the 6 month or sooner to regress's to avoid this as well. Best of luck on finding parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Please email [email protected] and explain the exact parts you are looking for.

If given long enough, grease can solidify and lock things together. We recommend inspecting and regreasing the axles every 3 months to ensure the bearings are running smoothly and that pivots are tightened back up to torque.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Please email [email protected] and explain the exact parts you are looking for.

If given long enough, grease can solidify and lock things together. We recommend inspecting and regreasing the axles every 3 months to ensure the bearings are running smoothly and that pivots are tightened back up to torque.
    Thanks Keith. I spoke with them yesterday and have Dirt Merchant on the hunt for the parts. Was largely posting up my story this to get exactly the advice you posted out to the masses.

Pulling the axles to regrease/inspect is so easy, and definitely will start doing that. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi, I have a similar problem.
    Will do as above for the stuck one, but one of the upper was changeable.
    Unfortunately I still feel a clunk in it with the new bearings, might it be the axel, or the hole in the frame?
    And anyone from Europe that can point me towards a dealer that stock the upper pivot axels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Have a look at the dealer map on our website for closer dealers and distributors who may have stock, but I certainly know that these guys have what you want.
    Frame spares | Ison Distribution
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks builttoride, but any thoughts regarding axel vs shaft in the frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'ts unlikely to be anything to do wit interface between the axle and the frame unless you ran the frame for a period of time with siezed bearings.

I'd check that your pivots are properly greased and torqued with smooth bearings.

Clunk could be from a number of location, including shock, rear derailleur clutch or saddle, depending how you are compressing the suspension.

Can you feel any movement anywhere which coincides with the noise?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'ts unlikely to be anything to do wit interface between the axle and the frame unless you ran the frame for a period of time with siezed bearings.

I'd check that your pivots are properly greased and torqued with smooth bearings.

Clunk could be from a number of location, including shock, rear derailleur clutch or saddle, depending how you are compressing the suspension.

Can you feel any movement anywhere which coincides with the noise?
    I will check some more, but I feel a play or if you call it click in that link. The bearings I changed were in ok shape, nothing stuck. Been greasing and use a tourqe wrench.Although, hope you are right regarding it not likely being that interface, I really really like my bike and would hate for any big problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    check there is no damage to the pivot hardware. it's only 3 parts, so easy to check. 1 bolt, 1 axle, and 1 spacer. Nothing should be deforemed or showing signs of wear.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    check there is no damage to the pivot hardware. it's only 3 parts, so easy to check. 1 bolt, 1 axle, and 1 spacer. Nothing should be deforemed or showing signs of wear.
    Checked, cannot see any direct signs of wear. But when I remove the link part and just have the axle in the frame, there is a play between the axle and the frame hole.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A tiny bit of play should be expected there, it's not a press fit location and the bearings clamp the frame to support it when pivot is torqued. But there should only be a tiny bit of play. If the axles was moving in the frame when ridden I'd expect the axle to show signs of wear.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Man I had this same thing happen tonight! Same exact thing! Been five months on the bike (got it running end of April). Are the stock bearings rusting to the bolt? One of my 4 was seized to where the bearing came out of frame with the bolt. The other three I were tight but not insane.

Live and ride in Western North Carolina. Our dirt here must be corrosive AF?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi
    Almost the same problem for me on my 13' Prime ... No way to extract the two axles on the bottom link, even by hammering very hard and heating with a hair dryer. Nothing to do ...
    So I will keep my old bearings because I do not want to destroy my frame.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
    Hi
    Almost the same problem for me on my 13' Prime ... No way to extract the two axles on the bottom link, even by hammering very hard and heating with a hair dryer. Nothing to do ...
    So I will keep my old bearings because I do not want to destroy my frame.
    FYI a hairdryer isn't going to touch a corroded bolt,you need some penetrant and soak it for a couple days repeatedly.Then give it a bash,it will come.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rideonjon View Post
    FYI a hairdryer isn't going to touch a corroded bolt,you need some penetrant and soak it for a couple days repeatedly.Then give it a bash,it will come.
    Thanx for your help. I already spread some penetrant everywhere I could, I'll keep going on and try later. Hope it will be ok