Bearing with me...- Mtbr.com
    I fix choppers

Bearing with me...

...yeah, dad jokes. Whatev's.

I want to replace the bearings in my '14 Rune. I have had it for a year and some creaking and play has developed. I attempted to source them locally through some decent hardware shops without any luck. I am aware that Fanatik sells pivot axle/bearing kits, but I don't think I need new axles. I have also looked at Amazon and Quality Bearings Online, but I was not sure exactly what to order as even with the correct numbers there are many options. I would appreciate any input on this and/or if any you Banshee-o-philes have located a good resource for these bits.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Sealed is better than shielded in our application. Quality is pretty decent between generic and name brands, the grease varies widely. I usually buy the generics, clean them and regrease with a quality automotive grade like Moly-sulphide from Valvoline. In most cases if you grease them with better than stock grease they will go far longer than you have had already.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

I fix choppers
    These for the upper and these for the lower?
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    ...yeah, dad jokes. Whatev's.

I want to replace the bearings in my '14 Rune. I have had it for a year and some creaking and play has developed. I attempted to source them locally through some decent hardware shops without any luck. I am aware that Fanatik sells pivot axle/bearing kits, but I don't think I need new axles. I have also looked at Amazon and Quality Bearings Online, but I was not sure exactly what to order as even with the correct numbers there are many options. I would appreciate any input on this and/or if any you Banshee-o-philes have located a good resource for these bits.
    Lower- 4 x 6001 2RS
    Upper- 4 x 608 RS

I just order in bulk from Ebay. You can buy packs of 10-12 of each and have enough for a few rebuilds. The ones I get are generic but I pull the shields and pack them with quality bearing grease. I get about 8 months to a year depending on how much wet weather riding I do in the winter here in Oregon. In dryer climates they will fare better. I throw lot of money towards my bike but bearings are a wear item so I didnt see the point in paying a premium for "better" bearings. The bearings that came with frame didn't last any longer than the ones I get off of Fleabay. YMMV.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Lower- 4 x 6001 2RS
    Upper- 4 x 608 RS

I just order in bulk from Ebay. You can buy packs of 10-12 of each and have enough for a few rebuilds. The ones I get are generic but I pull the shields and pack them with quality bearing grease. I get about 8 months to a year depending on how much wet weather riding I do in the winter here in Oregon.
    It gets pretty nasty down here in the SE too with sweltering heat and then intense rain. I went ahead and ordered 10 packs of each off eBay. Do you have any recommendations for a specific grease? Thanx!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have had good success with this: Rock"N"Roll Lubrication - Products - Bicycle Lube - Super Web Grease
    Kept my Hope BB bearings working for 7 years just untill recently (and still, they run pretty decently)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    It gets pretty nasty down here in the SE too with sweltering heat and then intense rain. I went ahead and ordered 10 packs of each off eBay. Do you have any recommendations for a specific grease? Thanx!
    I use rock and roll web grease. The stuff is sticky and stringy but stays put.