Banshee Titan review (very long read)- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Banshee Titan review (very long read)

The new Titan has been my only bike since I bought it. Delivered on Jan. 14, so Iíve had a bit more than a month of ride time on it (minus two weeks off the bike after one of the worst crashes Iíve had in years). Itís been ridden about 100 miles on a variety of trail systems in Phoenix and Sedona.

IMG_0770 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Basics: Itís a size L frame built out with all the parts off my Ripmo. Itís a decent build with solid parts that survive in a desert environment, including real tires and Cushcore in the rear. The only carbon part is the bars. I donít know how much it weighs, but it isnít light. Also note, I ran this most of the listed miles with the Lyrik at 160; Iíve since swapped it to 170.

Iím 6í2, 34 inseam, +2 ape index, 180 pounds before gear. Iím an experienced rider, generally just above average in the climbing department and pretty fast down the mountain (generally top 3% to 10% descending, based on Strava).

IMG_0701 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Iím very happy I followed the sizing guidelines. I generally ride XL, but the L fits really well with a 45mm stem.

I find the bike to be beautiful, but Iím a sucker for industrial design. I really wanted the black ano, but the raw was going to get to me faster so I went with that. Shout out to Ethan and Dirt Merchant for taking care of my order when he was out of town on a riding vacation. The build was painless and straightforward. As Iíve said elsewhere, the cable routing is a little bit fiddly, but once itís secured, mine has been dead silent.

Iím searching for some nugget of negativity about the bike, to be honest. Banshee is a small company and Iíve owned previous generations of the Prime, Phantom (one of my favorite bikes of all time) and Rune. While you get a dialed product, you donít get the subtleties like you do with, say, Ibis. I mean like a nice book or brochure detailing cable routing, chip placement, stickers, etc.

Thatís what Iíve got on the negative front.

IMG_0703 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

On the positive front is, well, everything else. I suspected it would be nice as Iíve enjoyed all my previous Banshee bikes, but I wasnít prepared for just how well this rig rides. Itís really superb.

Hereís your grain of salt: All of my riding is on steep-ish rocky gnar terrain. Our trails are not what I would consider tight; generally fairly open and very, very technical with drops, big climbing ledges, rock gaps and choppy high-speed terrain. I do not shuttle or utilize lift service. All turns are earned. I canít speak to terrain thatís radically different; if I generally rode flatter or less technical stuff, I very well might have a different opinion. Oh, that brings up another negative point. I was also wanting to build up a new Phantom for more pedally days; the Titan so far has made that unnecessary. Listen up, Banshee, your big bike is so good itís costing you additional sales!

Suspension setup with the low-end X2 has been super-simple. I plopped about 220 psi in the can, twiddled on a couple clicks of low-speed compression and rebound, and Iíve been riding it that way since. The frame appears to have a pretty big sweet spot for setup.

IMG_0713 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Look, if youíre reading the numbers and, God forbid, looking at the weight of the frame, youíd probably be appalled at the thought of humping this beast up a mountain. There is just no way the Titan should pedal as well as it does. While it doesnít have the sense of crispness at the pedals that a well-tuned DW Link bike has, it offers a less jarring and overall equally efficient pedaling platform on the terrain I ride in. Thereís no weird dead zones or pedal feedback that those bikes sometimes have. It tracks the ground calmly with excellent traction. Even with the longer rear, Iíve had no issues getting either or both wheels off the ground when needed.

Iíve bettered nearly all my climbing times from quite few other very nice bikes, including the Ripmo. In fact, I set my third-fastest time ever climbing UP National Trail at South Mountain on the Titan. If youíre not familiar with National, itís not the craziest trail we have here, but itís a pretty tough climb.

Downhill, the Titan is pretty much what you might expect. Itís a bruiser. Itís plush. Itís also quiet. But it can be ridden with finesse and changes lines with ease. I donít know that Iíd use the word ďpoppy,Ē but Iíve had zero issues clearing gaps, doubling up trail features or generally getting the bike off the ground. You do kind of sit in the pocket with the additional rear length, but I think thatís part of what makes the bike so comfortable and intuitive.

And the bike turns. Technically, turning is probably the weakest aspect of my personal game. And we donít have groomed catch berms here. To illustrate, I PRd a South Mountain trail called Corona de Loma the first time riding it on the Titan. Itís a fall line trail, a little steep, only a mile long but with 20-odd switchbacks on the way down. And these are Phoenix switchbacks, meaning theyíre loose, off-camber, strewn with rocks and often have drops right at the apex.

I like bicycles and I tend to go through them at a regular clip. I donít get emotionally involved and generally view them as pieces of equipment. That said, I canít tell you how astonishingly pleased I am with the Titan. Itís not exactly short money at $2,300 for a somewhat heavy overseas-built aluminum frame. But, by God, itís been worth every penny to me.

As a group, we tend to be really fixated on weight and travel numbers and carbon fiber. By those metrics, this bike should not be successful. And yet, it proves to me that there IS something magical when a company is able to get the geometry and suspension kinematics so dialed that nothing else really matters.

The Titan is the best example of that philosophy that Iíve ever owned. Is it for everyone? No bike is and Iím sure this is no exception. But for what I need in a bike, this is the closest thing to a unicorn thatís ever lived in my garage.

Sorry this was so long. Hope itís helpful for someone.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for the review mate. My Titan is almost built (waiting on one part) and I can't wait to get out on it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Great review - thanks.

Out spokin'
    Personally I like that color.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great read Blatant, thanks a bunch!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

flailer
    Sep 2012
    Awesome review. I have the same frame (color and size) and while I am certainly not riding at the level you are, I agree with all the points you have made. FWIW, my Titan weighs 35 lbs with coil shock and fork, carbon bar and carbon wheels. Not a lightweight by any means, but I don't notice it. The one aspect that always catches me by surprise is the amount of speed you can carry on the descents. It's pretty nuts how fast you can go and still feel like you have total control.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune (sold)
    '91 Spec Allez Epic Carbon (wall art)

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Dang it - I don't need another Banshee, but I sure want one!

mtbr member
    Nice review. My large Titan frame was delivered two days ago and I've started the build.

I decided to go for it in small part based off your impressions. Looking at the geometry I knew it had the guts to be good, but real world experience on how it climbed and the suspension action is what I needed. It's maybe a bit of an experiment but I'm looking forward to getting it out although we've got a lot of snow here so it might be a while.

I'm taking parts from my SB150 to build. I do have a new 210mm OneUp dropper to use but looking at max seat post insertion and my saddle height and I think I'll have to shim down to 200 maybe 190 so I wish seat post insertion was longer but that's my only quibble so far. Frame seems to be high quality and I really like how the shock is mounted. Lateral and fore aft center of mass is so much lower than my SB150.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    The new Titan has been my only bike since I bought it. Delivered on Jan. 14, so Iíve had a bit more than a month of ride time on it (minus two weeks off the bike after one of the worst crashes Iíve had in years). Itís been ridden about 100 miles on a variety of trail systems in Phoenix and Sedona.

IMG_0770 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Basics: Itís a size L frame built out with all the parts off my Ripmo. Itís a decent build with solid parts that survive in a desert environment, including real tires and Cushcore in the rear. The only carbon part is the bars. I donít know how much it weighs, but it isnít light. Also note, I ran this most of the listed miles with the Lyrik at 160; Iíve since swapped it to 170.

Iím 6í2, 34 inseam, +2 ape index, 180 pounds before gear. Iím an experienced rider, generally just above average in the climbing department and pretty fast down the mountain (generally top 3% to 10% descending, based on Strava).

IMG_0701 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Iím very happy I followed the sizing guidelines. I generally ride XL, but the L fits really well with a 45mm stem.

I find the bike to be beautiful, but Iím a sucker for industrial design. I really wanted the black ano, but the raw was going to get to me faster so I went with that. Shout out to Ethan and Dirt Merchant for taking care of my order when he was out of town on a riding vacation. The build was painless and straightforward. As Iíve said elsewhere, the cable routing is a little bit fiddly, but once itís secured, mine has been dead silent.

Iím searching for some nugget of negativity about the bike, to be honest. Banshee is a small company and Iíve owned previous generations of the Prime, Phantom (one of my favorite bikes of all time) and Rune. While you get a dialed product, you donít get the subtleties like you do with, say, Ibis. I mean like a nice book or brochure detailing cable routing, chip placement, stickers, etc.

Thatís what Iíve got on the negative front.

IMG_0703 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

On the positive front is, well, everything else. I suspected it would be nice as Iíve enjoyed all my previous Banshee bikes, but I wasnít prepared for just how well this rig rides. Itís really superb.

Hereís your grain of salt: All of my riding is on steep-ish rocky gnar terrain. Our trails are not what I would consider tight; generally fairly open and very, very technical with drops, big climbing ledges, rock gaps and choppy high-speed terrain. I do not shuttle or utilize lift service. All turns are earned. I canít speak to terrain thatís radically different; if I generally rode flatter or less technical stuff, I very well might have a different opinion. Oh, that brings up another negative point. I was also wanting to build up a new Phantom for more pedally days; the Titan so far has made that unnecessary. Listen up, Banshee, your big bike is so good itís costing you additional sales!

Suspension setup with the low-end X2 has been super-simple. I plopped about 220 psi in the can, twiddled on a couple clicks of low-speed compression and rebound, and Iíve been riding it that way since. The frame appears to have a pretty big sweet spot for setup.

IMG_0713 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Look, if youíre reading the numbers and, God forbid, looking at the weight of the frame, youíd probably be appalled at the thought of humping this beast up a mountain. There is just no way the Titan should pedal as well as it does. While it doesnít have the sense of crispness at the pedals that a well-tuned DW Link bike has, it offers a less jarring and overall equally efficient pedaling platform on the terrain I ride in. Thereís no weird dead zones or pedal feedback that those bikes sometimes have. It tracks the ground calmly with excellent traction. Even with the longer rear, Iíve had no issues getting either or both wheels off the ground when needed.

Iíve bettered nearly all my climbing times from quite few other very nice bikes, including the Ripmo. In fact, I set my third-fastest time ever climbing UP National Trail at South Mountain on the Titan. If youíre not familiar with National, itís not the craziest trail we have here, but itís a pretty tough climb.

Downhill, the Titan is pretty much what you might expect. Itís a bruiser. Itís plush. Itís also quiet. But it can be ridden with finesse and changes lines with ease. I donít know that Iíd use the word ďpoppy,Ē but Iíve had zero issues clearing gaps, doubling up trail features or generally getting the bike off the ground. You do kind of sit in the pocket with the additional rear length, but I think thatís part of what makes the bike so comfortable and intuitive.

And the bike turns. Technically, turning is probably the weakest aspect of my personal game. And we donít have groomed catch berms here. To illustrate, I PRd a South Mountain trail called Corona de Loma the first time riding it on the Titan. Itís a fall line trail, a little steep, only a mile long but with 20-odd switchbacks on the way down. And these are Phoenix switchbacks, meaning theyíre loose, off-camber, strewn with rocks and often have drops right at the apex.

I like bicycles and I tend to go through them at a regular clip. I donít get emotionally involved and generally view them as pieces of equipment. That said, I canít tell you how astonishingly pleased I am with the Titan. Itís not exactly short money at $2,300 for a somewhat heavy overseas-built aluminum frame. But, by God, itís been worth every penny to me.

As a group, we tend to be really fixated on weight and travel numbers and carbon fiber. By those metrics, this bike should not be successful. And yet, it proves to me that there IS something magical when a company is able to get the geometry and suspension kinematics so dialed that nothing else really matters.

The Titan is the best example of that philosophy that Iíve ever owned. Is it for everyone? No bike is and Iím sure this is no exception. But for what I need in a bike, this is the closest thing to a unicorn thatís ever lived in my garage.

Sorry this was so long. Hope itís helpful for someone.
    How come I can no longer 'like' posts? Only gives me the option of 'gift'. I did enjoy the rider review but don't want to donate money to said reviewer!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Reviews on this bike are kind of scarce, so thanks for posting up your thoughts. Also, youíre about my size and weight (Iím 6í2Ē, 185lbs without gear), which helps a bit.

Iím kind of surprised at the relatively conservative reach numbers on the titan. Iím currently on a size large with 475mm reach, and a 50mm stem, and have been wanting to try something with a bit more reach to see how that feels.

Our of curiosity, what made you go with the Titan over some of the other similar bikes (primarily meaning the Raaw Madonna, privateer 161)?

Also, Iím in the PNW, and ride in the slop fairly often. How well are the titans bearings sealed, and does it look like the frame/pivots would accumulate a lot of mud?

Thanks again .

Keep on Rockin...
    Real sharp lookin frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the write-up. Which dropouts are you using?

mtbr member
    Dig your reviews Blatant and wow are you skinnier than I pictured
    Question, have you owned bikes with industry short chain stays that you've liked?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I chose the Titan because I've really liked all my previous Banshee bikes and wanted to see how the new suspension system compared. I have no input on bearing or seal shielding as I don't ride in the wet.

I'm running the short drops.

Interesting questions about short stays. I certainly have owned hardtails with short stays that I really liked (N9, Stache). Now that you ask, I guess most of the suspension bikes I've liked the most have had average stays or longer; exception would be the Enduro, which I've always been a fan of and works really well in this environment.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    For info, I have a large frame and I have fitted a 170mm travel AXS dropper. Full insertion leaves approx 20mm from seat post clamp to the bottom of the dropper collar which means it just works for me with 170mm cranks with my shoes on (I'm 185cm tall).
    Banshee Titan review (very long read)-axs-dropper.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    For info, I have a large frame and I have fitted a 170mm travel AXS dropper. Full insertion leaves approx 20mm from seat post clamp to the bottom of the dropper collar which means it just works for me with 170mm cranks with my shoes on (I'm 185cm tall).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AXS Dropper.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1313149
    I'm about the same height and will have no problem with running a 170mm One Up, was just really hoping to run a full 210 and now hoping for 200mm. The issue is the insertion length on the frame. Longer drop = more post inside the frame. I think I might have a chance of running 200mm, certainly can do 190mm which would be pretty cool. 170mm is probably plenty but for jumping and really moving the bike around more drop is better.

Also I think that the steeper a seat tube is the more drop is needed as the seat is more central and more in the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Iím kind of surprised at the relatively conservative reach numbers on the titan. Iím currently on a size large with 475mm reach, and a 50mm stem, and have been wanting to try something with a bit more reach to see how that feels.
    You are at a height where you could go XL, pretty much comes down to priorities. Personally I've come to prize a balanced bike, a bike where front center and rear center lengths are more balanced and that right there is the draw of the L Titan for me. Very good balance on paper. RAAW Madonna V2 looks awesome and I would have highly considered one but they were sold out by the time I was ready.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    do you miss the ripmo at all ? only asking as i'm trying to get a demo on one (the ripmo af) to possibly buy. also the banshee primes on me list

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    You are at a height where you could go XL, pretty much comes down to priorities. Personally I've come to prize a balanced bike, a bike where front center and rear center lengths are more balanced and that right there is the draw of the L Titan for me. Very good balance on paper. RAAW Madonna V2 looks awesome and I would have highly considered one but they were sold out by the time I was ready.
    Thanks for the response.

I do tend to be in that middle ground between L and XL. But I would assume most people feel "in the middle" like this. Its just with smaller brands like this, its harder to get a bike to sit on/demo in person, so I try to get as much out of reviews like this as I can .

I'm currently on a Kona Process 153 29'er (2018). It was my first real mountain bike, and I got a great deal on it, but didn't really get a test ride on it before buying. So I bought it without knowing exactly how the bike rode, with the intention to use it as a platform to figure out what my preferences really were (as I didn't really have any yet, and had only ridden ~10yr old XC hardtails, so I had no real geo experience to base my decisions on).

In the past 2 years, the plan has worked. I've found that I struggle with the super short rear end of the Process (425mm chainstays for the 29'er), and am looking for my next bike to be more balanced. This means that I'm looking at bikes like the Titan, Madonna V2, Norco Sight, etc. Bikes that have a much longer rear end, or vary it by frame size/etc.

The Titan looks good, and as you mentioned, it is available, which is a major plus. But, I'm not in any hurry to buy at the moment, and I'm a smidge worried about the long(er) seattube and dropper length (especially if I went for a size XL). And, with the frame being more intricate/etc, I'm curious how it handles wet weather rides.

I know Pinkbike has a Titan in for review at the moment, so I figure if its a problem (wet weather), they'll bring it up, as we've had an incredibly wet start to our year out here.

The Ripmo AF is on my radar as well. But, its comparatively short chainstays have me a bit worried. I should be able to demo that one this year though, so that should help.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by turner_nz View Post
    do you miss the ripmo at all ? only asking as i'm trying to get a demo on one (the ripmo af) to possibly buy. also the banshee primes on me list
    I don't miss the Ripmo. Which is not a knock on that bike at all. I loved it so much I owned two of them (one early in release, sold, missed, bought another). Prior to the Titan, I argued it was the best all-arounder I'd owned.

For some riders, depending on where you are and what you're looking for, the Ripmo may still be the better choice. For me, the Titan is a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    i get the titan with where you ride looks pretty gnarly but for me the titan would be over kill on my trails hence i'd look at the ripmo or prime....or possibly even try the phantom! currently ride a 2017 trek remedy and that is pretty sweet here on my trails just wanna go 29! and the remedy is small for a large....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The old Phantom was such a rad bike. I can only imagine how awesome the new one is. Love to give it a whirl.

flailer
    Sep 2012
    A couple of the guys I ride with each bought a ripmo af. Can't wait for spring weather and the trails to dry out so we can hit some trails and see how they stack up. I've heard nothing but good things about the af, but I love my Titan.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune (sold)

...In the meantime.
    Excellent review! Everything you said about the Titan echoes my experience so far with The Phantom V3...you just expressed it more eloquently than me!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wanted to follow up with some other information. The totality of my riding on this bike has been in the low/slack dropout position. Decided to swap the chips just to see what it was about.

Swapped to the high/steep position and rode a slightly less-technical trail system than South Mountain (the Hawes system for any Phoenix locals). Definitely felt a significant difference between the modes.

The route I take here has a 3-mile road climb to get to prime single track. It's not steep (less than 400 vertical feet), but steady. I could feel the bike was higher in the bike, putting more pressure on my wrists and kind of sitting me up on top. Pedaling was snappier.

Once on single track, I noticed the body position sensation less, but did note the continued snappy pedal performance. Times don't seem a ton different, but I did clean a big slog of a climb that I've never done without dabbing before.

Downhill, I really didn't notice much difference. The half-degree or so of steepened head angle is negligible on a bike this slack.

I'm going to leave it this way for a couple more rides to see.

It's worth noting that I've read a lot of complaints of wrist pain from some riders on new-geo bikes. I'm not particularly susceptible to that, but even I felt the wrist pressure on flattish sections.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's worth noting that I've read a lot of complaints of wrist pain from some riders on new-geo bikes. I'm not particularly susceptible to that, but even I felt the wrist pressure on flattish sections.
    I'm one of those. Interesting to read and thanks for pointing it out. I'm interested in a V3 Prime or Phantom but worry about that issue. We have hills, not mountains.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Didn't notice it at all in the low/slack position, so it's something to consider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Didn't notice it at all in the low/slack position, so it's something to consider.
    Have you ridden Hawes in the low/slack setting before?
    Ripley LS v3

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yessir. I ride that system about once a week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The steeper seat angles give you the opportunity to push the seat back in the rails if you want to alleviate wrist pain. Or you can get an offset seatpost.

I always ran my seats pretty far forward on previous bikes. I moved it to the middle with my Prime V3 to get it where I like it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    In my case, I already run the seat as far back as I can get it on the rails. Not a big deal for me, just reporting my observations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    The steeper seat angles give you the opportunity to push the seat back in the rails if you want to alleviate wrist pain. Or you can get an offset seatpost.

I always ran my seats pretty far forward on previous bikes. I moved it to the middle with my Prime V3 to get it where I like it.
    There probably just as many that run seats as far back as they can. There aren't a lot of seat back droppers.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'm one of those. Interesting to read and thanks for pointing it out. I'm interested in a V3 Prime or Phantom but worry about that issue. We have hills, not mountains.
    Me too, and it's one reason I made headtubes longer, as you can balance ergonomics of longer reach with higher stack to an extent. Bar height and choice, and of course grip choice play huge roles also. If you have too much wright on your bars, try putting an extra spacer under them, or higher rise bars, makes a big difference.

Also avoid super stiff bars... industry should never have gone 35mm in my opinion!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Also avoid super stiff bars... industry should never have gone 35mm in my opinion!
    My new Titan build im going back to 31.8 for that reason, even better with everything being on sale that's not 35mm right now. I don't get why you want a super stiff cockpit, I don't want to feel everything through my wrists if a bit of bar flex can minimize it. The trails are where I live are really long and beat up, over a 5000ft decent you want all the help you can get!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Couldn't agree more! People like to complain about unnecessary new "standards", but this is the one that makes the least sense to me. Nobody was asking for stiffer bars. Nobody was having issues with their bars rotating in the stem clamp. The weight savings are marginal at best and negative at worst. As a lighter guy who likes relatively narrow bars by today's standards, I wish more brands would continue to offer 31.8 options.

mtbr member
    Me too, and it's one reason I made headtubes longer, as you can balance ergonomics of longer reach with higher stack to an extent. Bar height and choice, and of course grip choice play huge roles also. If you have too much wright on your bars, try putting an extra spacer under them, or higher rise bars, makes a big difference.

A quick question about that.

I've been noticing that effect (stack can replace reach, to an extent) on my personal bike (Kona Process 153 29'er). However, that bike has exceptionally short chainstays (425mm).

However, I've found that if my stack height is too high, I am having a harder time weighting the front end enough in corners. So while its more comfortable to pedal around, I've been recently moving spacers from underneath the stem, in an attempt to try to balance all this out.

Does the high stack on the Titan work out because you have such long chainstays on it? I'm just curious about that part.

Thanks .

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    A quick question about that.

I've been noticing that effect (stack can replace reach, to an extent) on my personal bike (Kona Process 153 29'er). However, that bike has exceptionally short chainstays (425mm).

However, I've found that if my stack height is too high, I am having a harder time weighting the front end enough in corners. So while its more comfortable to pedal around, I've been recently moving spacers from underneath the stem, in an attempt to try to balance all this out.

Does the high stack on the Titan work out because you have such long chainstays on it? I'm just curious about that part.

Thanks .
    Bingo... short chainstays are not good for anything other than jibbing on a full suspension bike in this category. They just make it harder to weight front wheel resulting in front wheel washing out lots. short chainstays are one of these cases (much like 35mm bars) where marketing teams have gone crazy for it because it's easy to promote. If jibbing is your thing, then go short chainstays, if you want control, stability, speed balance, then you need to match ratio of chainstay length to front centre.

Little thing to make you laugh, was looking at toddle strider bikes the other day (I have a 5 month old son and am keen to get him on 2 wheels as soon as he can walk), and I came across one brand that promotes the fact that their strider bikes have 35mm bar clamp diameter! haha
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Personally, I don't find the frame weight that heavy. If anything, I think it's pretty light for a longer travel 29er frame in 2020. It's similar in weight to the carbon Sight, and lighter than the carbon Slayer. With the shock, it's probably a hair lighter than the Madonna v2 as well!

Anyways, that's a gorgeous bike and I just figured that it's one less thing to hold against it =)

mtbr member
    Blatant,

If I remember correctly, you have experience on a YT Capra 29. Would you mind comparing that bike to the Titan, please?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, I owned a carbon Capra 29. I really enjoyed that bike downhill. Picked up and carried speed, racy but not too firm, it felt really fast. Until you had to climb. At which time, I generally prepared to have my lunch eaten. And it was.

I did set a bunch of DH PRs on that bike at that time. Iíve since topped all those on the Banshee and didnít get destroyed on the climbs.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I wanted to circle back around to my personal experiences with high and low setting on the Titan.

As I reported above, I started in low and a couple weeks back swapped to the high position. I immediately noticed snappier pedaling and a real different body position on the bike. Also, perhaps very slightly increased weight over the front tire, which helped in turns.

Definitely a markedly different feeling, but one I got used to quickly.

However, I began noting a lot of feedback through my upper body. So much so, I actually posted a thread on the suspension forum questioning my Lyrik setup. I was getting significant pain in both wrists and feedback through my arms into my shoulder girdle, resulting in really sore (but not painful) shoulder joints.

As an experiment, making no other changes to the fork or suspension setup at all, I dropped the bike back into the low position, where I've been riding it for the last 10 days or so.

The result? No more wrist or shoulder pain.

Obviously an anecdotal experience, but something worth considering.

I've owned a lot of bikes with geo chips. Generally, the differences are pretty subtle. In fact, on may of them (new Stumpy, new Hightower, Capra, etc.), I found I preferred the higher set if for no other reason than BB height.

On the Titan, the geo chips make a significant and noticeable difference. It's really like two bikes in one. I definitely do prefer the low position on this bike. It just feels natural.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I wanted to circle back around to my personal experiences with high and low setting on the Titan.

As I reported above, I started in low and a couple weeks back swapped to the high position. I immediately noticed snappier pedaling and a real different body position on the bike. Also, perhaps very slightly increased weight over the front tire, which helped in turns.

Definitely a markedly different feeling, but one I got used to quickly.

However, I began noting a lot of feedback through my upper body. So much so, I actually posted a thread on the suspension forum questioning my Lyrik setup. I was getting significant pain in both wrists and feedback through my arms into my shoulder girdle, resulting in really sore (but not painful) shoulder joints.

As an experiment, making no other changes to the fork or suspension setup at all, I dropped the bike back into the low position, where I've been riding it for the last 10 days or so.

The result? No more wrist or shoulder pain.

Obviously an anecdotal experience, but something worth considering.

I've owned a lot of bikes with geo chips. Generally, the differences are pretty subtle. In fact, on may of them (new Stumpy, new Hightower, Capra, etc.), I found I preferred the higher set if for no other reason than BB height.

On the Titan, the geo chips make a significant and noticeable difference. It's really like two bikes in one. I definitely do prefer the low position on this bike. It just feels natural.
    This brings up an important point about ergonomics

Switching to high setting increases reach and steepens up angles. The discomfort is a result of more weight than you are used to on your hands when you are riding. you can learn to adapt to this over time by changing riding posture slightly, or by simply running higher bar height to cancel the change out and find that ergonomic fit.

You really want to be riding so that your relaxed posture results in your hands being neutrally weighted on the bars (no weight pressing down or pulling back), this will give you best base position to move from to adjust to the trail and least fatigue.

This is one of the reasons that i strongly disagree with bikes with super long reach. In fact I noticed one of the industry guys who has really been pushing super long reach for a long time runs very short stem, and bars with 16 degree sweep, plus runs his fork softer than recommended... all of these things are to relieve pressure on hands... although would easily be avoided by not riding a bike that has excessively long reach!

Take away from this... reach is important, but so is stack (this includes headset spacers and bar rise etc). The balance between the 2 is as big a factor as overall sizing. So think beyond the numbers on a geometry chart.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This brings up an important point about ergonomics

Switching to high setting increases reach and steepens up angles. The discomfort is a result of more weight than you are used to on your hands when you are riding. you can learn to adapt to this over time by changing riding posture slightly, or by simply running higher bar height to cancel the change out and find that ergonomic fit.

You really want to be riding so that your relaxed posture results in your hands being neutrally weighted on the bars (no weight pressing down or pulling back), this will give you best base position to move from to adjust to the trail and least fatigue.

This is one of the reasons that i strongly disagree with bikes with super long reach. In fact I noticed one of the industry guys who has really been pushing super long reach for a long time runs very short stem, and bars with 16 degree sweep, plus runs his fork softer than recommended... all of these things are to relieve pressure on hands... although would easily be avoided by not riding a bike that has excessively long reach!

Take away from this... reach is important, but so is stack (this includes headset spacers and bar rise etc). The balance between the 2 is as big a factor as overall sizing. So think beyond the numbers on a geometry chart.
    Good feedback! This has been my experience as well aka balanced approach, moderate stem, proper suspension setup, etc.

Any opinions on the Trust Shout fork and how the bike rides with it? I just got my Titan frame and building it up and have a Shout ready to go.....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I know there's a lot of negative in the world right now.

I just wanted to post a positive: I'm still in love with the Titan.

Fortunate to still be riding just as much here in Phoenix, although only solo now, no group rides. The Titan has been my only bike for three months; I can't remember a time in the last 10 years when I've had only one bike for that length of time.

It's very easily the best bike I've ever owned. It's more than capable of destroying the raddest terrain you can find, yet it doubles as an everyday trail bike that's happy to just pedal around.

My only two real negative points currently: I'd like to see more seat post insertion depth and I wish Banshee would change the tooling on the dropouts to native 180 post mount.

That's the best I can do. This bike kills it.

IMG_0729 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Keep on Rockin...
    Very, very nice looking bike.

What is that? Ball burnished under gloss?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Very, very nice looking bike.

What is that? Ball burnished under gloss?
    Hereís a closeup-

Keep on Rockin...
    ooohhhh

beater
    Yeah, the brushed pattern is pretty sexy when you notice it. Clear gloss over it.

flailer
    Sep 2012
    When I ordered my frame, I had originally ordered a red one. I am glad it to raw. It looks amazing with the clear coat and draws compliments everywhere.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune (sold)

mtbr member
    My only two real negative points currently: I'd like to see more seat post insertion depth and I wish Banshee would change the tooling on the dropouts to native 180 post mount.
    I agree on these two points as being the only negatives I've encountered as well. The brake mount isn't that big of deal to me but post mount is superior.

The seat post insertion is a bit of an issue. 2-3 years ago it would have been fine but with longer droppers and steeper seat tube angles that in my opinion require a longer dropper as the seat is more central and in the way, well more insertion would be great.

Unfortunately the Fox Float X2 that came on my frame needed some warranty work so I haven't really been able to ride my bike on anything other than dirt jumps but I can tell it's going to be rad everywhere.

mtbr member
    You've pretty much made up my mind. Once I get back stateside building one up is my new project. Onyx 170 and a Topaz 3, I think it'll be a match made in buttery heaven. I'm thinking I'll actually be on a medium on this frame. It seems more in line size wise as my large Honzo and Process 153. The Paradox seems super rad too.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm a serial bike-swapper. Currently, I have literally zero interest in riding anything else. Except I really want a Phantom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Love the review! I've been lusting after one of these Titans as an eventual replacement for my trail bike.

Side note... if you put a "U.S." sticker next to the word Titan it says Tit Anus, which is another strong argument for picking up a Titan.