Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 185cm tall and on a Large, and I compensated for the slightly shorter reach relative to my Sentinel (470 vs. 485mm) with a slightly longer stem and have no issues. I'm running a 50mm stem and find no compromise relative to the 40mm on my Sentinel.

Important factor to think about isn't just reach, but the longer chainstay. The wheelbase on this bike is quite long, and the large is already longer than my Sentinel was. I honestly wouldn't want anything much longer for where I live (PNW), and the fit is quite comfortable.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. I was most concerned about a tight seated cockpit for climbing. Sounds like a longer stem and maybe bumping the seat back will solve for it.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Very similar here... 6foot 1 with a 33inseem and long arms. I followed the banshee advice and went large and couldnít be happier. 50mm stem doesnít feel like a compromise. My last bike was a latge mondraker, 500mm reach and although Iíve always liked long bikes i couldnít be happier with the sizing on the titan.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. The box is in my living room. Unfortunately, Iím at work for a few more hours.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Q regarding cable routing. I ran brake and shifter as outlined by Keith earlier in the thread. Itís a tight fit, but straightforward. The dropper routing is pretty fiddly. Are folks following the example and routing the dropper housing under the lower shock eyelet and then back up the down tube?

Creates a tight bend in the housing and itís tough to push back through once the post (Fox Transfer) if attached.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Q regarding cable routing. I ran brake and shifter as outlined by Keith earlier in the thread. Itís a tight fit, but straightforward. The dropper routing is pretty fiddly. Are folks following the example and routing the dropper housing under the lower shock eyelet and then back up the down tube?

Creates a tight bend in the housing and itís tough to push back through once the post (Fox Transfer) if attached.
    That's the method I used and it has worked fine. It's fiddly, but you shouldn't be uninstalling your dropper on any sort of frequent basis, so not a huge deal IMO.

Easiest approach for me was to uninstall the shock - gives a lot more room for cable install, and simply pushing the shock back into place will help with the dropper cable and prevent any cable binding during install.

flailer
    Sep 2012
    ^^ Same here. All of the cables/lines run under the shock eyelet and over the BB, except for the dropper cable which goes straight up into the seat tube. I am using a one-up dropper which made for some interesting adjustments but once it's all in there, it's good to go and works great.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '91 Specialized Allez Epic Carbon

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Well ... goodness.

Shakedown run this morning at South Mountain in Phoenix. SoMo on a Saturday in the winter is a sh!tshow with hikers, trail runners and visiting riders who aren't familiar with the level of gnar we have here. That said, there's no better place to fully test all aspects of a bike's performance.

For anyone familiar, my route was up Beverly Canyon, up Mormon Loop, up National to Buena Vista, then the big bomb back down National. It's not quite 11 miles and just less than 1500 vertical feet of climbing.

First, sizing. I'm 6'2 (188), 34 inseam, +2 ape index. With a pack and gear, I'm about 190 pounds. I'm pleased that I listened to input and went with L, though I'm going to need to move from the 40mm stem to 50. Otherwise, very pleased with the size of the bike.

This is a performance-to-price build with absolutely zero carbon. Lyrik at 160, Eagle GX, Fox 175 dropper, Spank 350s laced to I9 1-1, Trail King front, SE4 rear with Cushcore. I don't weigh bikes as a personal rule; I really wouldn't want to weigh this thing, I'd probably be scared to death.

Most recent bikes: Ripmo and a new-gen Stumpy as a backup bike. Both sold. I LOVE bikes and can find something to like about just about anything. But I don't generally have a personal connection to these rigs; they're equipment to me. That said, I'm doing my best not to violate another personal rule: Not to gush about bikes after the first ride.

So, I'm not going to do that.

But, gosh ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well ... goodness.

Shakedown run this morning at South Mountain in Phoenix. SoMo on a Saturday in the winter is a sh!tshow with hikers, trail runners and visiting riders who aren't familiar with the level of gnar we have here. That said, there's no better place to fully test all aspects of a bike's performance.

For anyone familiar, my route was up Beverly Canyon, up Mormon Loop, up National to Buena Vista, then the big bomb back down National. It's not quite 11 miles and just less than 1500 vertical feet of climbing.

First, sizing. I'm 6'2 (188), 34 inseam, +2 ape index. With a pack and gear, I'm about 190 pounds. I'm pleased that I listened to input and went with L, though I'm going to need to move from the 40mm stem to 50. Otherwise, very pleased with the size of the bike.

This is a performance-to-price build with absolutely zero carbon. Lyrik at 160, Eagle GX, Fox 175 dropper, Spank 350s laced to I9 1-1, Trail King front, SE4 rear with Cushcore. I don't weigh bikes as a personal rule; I really wouldn't want to weigh this thing, I'd probably be scared to death.

Most recent bikes: Ripmo and a new-gen Stumpy as a backup bike. Both sold. I LOVE bikes and can find something to like about just about anything. But I don't generally have a personal connection to these rigs; they're equipment to me. That said, I'm doing my best not to violate another personal rule: Not to gush about bikes after the first ride.

But, gosh ...
    Seems like how I was after my first - youíll keep gushing ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Well ... goodness.

But, gosh ...
    Awesome to hear this. Especially after you've had similar feelings with the Hightower. Look forward to hearing further ride reports. I get my frame in a week or two!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Up until last week I was going to order an XL . After the last few posts and everything all sitting at the same hight as me I'm thinking a large and a 50mm stem. I thought the xl and 30mm would be ideal but the wheel base is a concern being my first 29er. Lots of the climbing is tight and steep in whistler and I don't need make life harder. Summer can't come quick enough!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza_wil View Post
    Up until last week I was going to order an XL . After the last few posts and everything all sitting at the same hight as me I'm thinking a large and a 50mm stem. I thought the xl and 30mm would be ideal but the wheel base is a concern being my first 29er. Lots of the climbing is tight and steep in whistler and I don't need make life harder. Summer can't come quick enough!
    Yeah I'm 185 and was thinking the XL with a small stem but what put me off was the seat tube length along with all the recommendations on here too (especially from Banshee themselves lol). Gone with a large and initially I'm trying a 40mm stem because that's what I have.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Second ride today. A bike with this much travel has no right to pedal this well. And the other direction? Brutal. Still not going to gush, but I'm probably not going to make my self-imposed 100 miles prior to offering opinions.

I'll just leave this here ...

IMG_0701 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Braaap
    Looks great and sounds very positive so far. That says quite a bit coming from the long list of bikes that you've owned. The real review will come from how long you keep the frame for.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone have any feedback if putting on a coil shock is worth the $$

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Not tried an air shock on it, but my ohlins coil front and rear is perfect!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Was thinking briefly about coil, as I often do. But the reality for me is the rear end is outgunning the Lyrik at this point. My suspension money will be spent bringing the fork inline with the rear.

mtbr member
    Was thinking briefly about coil, as I often do. But the reality for me is the rear end is outgunning the Lyrik at this point. My suspension money will be spent bringing the fork inline with the rear.
    Same. I'm thinking an Avy cart for my Fox 36 is in order.

How's the fit?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Good grief. Ride #3, South Mountain, Phoenix. 70 degrees, cloudy, waited until the afternoon so had pretty clean trails. Up National Trail to the Buena Vista saddle, then back down. Similar to my first ride, except I climbed the steepest, sketchiest portion of National rather than the easier way up Mormon Loop.

IMG_0703 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_0704 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Above photos are the infamous Waterfall obstacle on National.

IMG_0705 by dbozman1173, on Flickr
    Buena Vista Saddle, National

Set my historical third fastest time ever up National; on a big, heavy aluminum bike with a ton of travel.

Then proceeded to destroy it going down, including one PR section bumping me up to the top 3.5 percent in a segment with close to 6,000 runs. I don't want to say how old I am, but I've got kids older than most MTBR users ;-)

This bike is frickin' rad.

mtbr member
    Good grief. Ride #3, South Mountain, Phoenix. 70 degrees, cloudy, waited until the afternoon so had pretty clean trails. Up National Trail to the Buena Vista saddle, then back down. Similar to my first ride, except I climbed the steepest, sketchiest portion of National rather than the easier way up Mormon Loop.

Set my historical third fastest time ever up National; on a big, heavy aluminum bike with a ton of travel.

Then proceeded to destroy it going down, including one PR section bumping me up to the top 3.5 percent in a segment with close to 6,000 runs. I don't want to say how old I am, but I've got kids older than most MTBR users ;-)

Seems you have a tight fit for your rear tire....what size is it?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Not a ton of tire clearance on this frame, particularly height moreso than width. I'm running a Bontrager SE4 29x2.4 on a 30mm IW rim with Cushcore. I don't care for fat tires on go-fast bikes anyway, so not a concern for me personally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Not a ton of tire clearance on this frame, particularly height moreso than width. I'm running a Bontrager SE4 29x2.4 on a 30mm IW rim with Cushcore. I don't care for fat tires on go-fast bikes anyway, so not a concern for me personally.
    You can always run the longer dropouts if needs be. Think of it as 2 settings, optimum geo and massive clearence. My michellin wild enduro 2.4 just fits with no rubbing, but thats a tall tyre and a genuine 2.4. More room with maxxis etc..

mtbr member
    My 27.5 x 2.8 rear tire has gobs of clearance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Man...there's something about Banshee's frames that just look timeless. The proportions just look 'right' to me and never look over designed.

Since you've ridden a lot of bikes including Banshee's I can't wait to hear how the new V3 linkage compares to the V2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey guys, Iím coming from a V2 spitfire which I love for its durability, versatility and fun factor on any trail from XC to DH. I was 100% set on a V3 spitfire until I started reading about the Titan. For anyone who cares to comment, do you think the Titan would be equally fun to ride on big days (for me means like 5k feet of climbing over 30 or so miles) as it is rallying steep, fast and tech trails. Ie would this be a reasonable do-it-all bike for trails like you might find in Pemberton, Whistler or Squamish? My main concern with the Titan would be that it might be less of an all-around fun-seeking bike and more geared toward all-out, straight-line DH speed. Possibly less fun for bermy, faster flow tracks? On the other hand, other than the bigger wheel size, increased travel, and longer wheelbase, the geometry looks pretty similar to the V3 spitty. My current spitfire is a medium 26er built solid with a 36 up front and a float X2 in the rear. I prioritize the downhill performance but typically climb a lot to get to the fun part. Keith was kind enough to give his input, sounds like he has felt ďoverbikedĒ at times with the Titan which is something Iíve never felt with the Spitfire. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    I ride my v1 prime with short dropouts, and fit with tight clearance 29x2.6 nobby nik and 29x2.5 wt maxxis aggressor on 32mm iw rims...all that with a custom made fender that shaves a couple of millimetres. As told, little clearance, but no issues so far even in not so sticky mud.
    I hope that v3 Prime has at least same clearance with short dropouts.

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by morox View Post
    Hey guys, Iím coming from a V2 spitfire which I love for its durability, versatility and fun factor on any trail from XC to DH. I was 100% set on a V3 spitfire until I started reading about the Titan. For anyone who cares to comment, do you think the Titan would be equally fun to ride on big days (for me means like 5k feet of climbing over 30 or so miles) as it is rallying steep, fast and tech trails. Ie would this be a reasonable do-it-all bike for trails like you might find in Pemberton, Whistler or Squamish? My main concern with the Titan would be that it might be less of an all-around fun-seeking bike and more geared toward all-out, straight-line DH speed. Possibly less fun for bermy, faster flow tracks? On the other hand, other than the bigger wheel size, increased travel, and longer wheelbase, the geometry looks pretty similar to the V3 spitty. My current spitfire is a medium 26er built solid with a 36 up front and a float X2 in the rear. I prioritize the downhill performance but typically climb a lot to get to the fun part. Keith was kind enough to give his input, sounds like he has felt ďoverbikedĒ at times with the Titan which is something Iíve never felt with the Spitfire. Thank you in advance.
    The v3 Spitty should be quite a bit more aggressive and stable than a 26" v2 Spitty. If you feel "under biked" on the v2 Spitty, I think the v3 Spitty would fill a gap somewhere between it and the Titan.

You can also look into the Prime v3 which fits into a more similar category as the Spitty...that really just comes down to your preference for 27.5" or 29" wheels. It might be worth demoing a few 29" bikes.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't have one on hand, but I've run the 2.5 Aggressor on other bikes. The SE4 you see on my rig is a bigger, higher-volume tire than the Maxxis tire.

Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    I ride my v1 prime with short dropouts, and fit with tight clearance 29x2.6 nobby nik and 29x2.5 wt maxxis aggressor on 32mm iw rims...all that with a custom made fender that shaves a couple of millimetres. As told, little clearance, but no issues so far even in not so sticky mud.
    I hope that v3 Prime has at least same clearance with short dropouts.

mtbr member
    I don't have one on hand, but I've run the 2.5 Aggressor on other bikes. The SE4 you see on my rig is a bigger, higher-volume tire than the Maxxis tire.
    Sound good...thanks

flailer
    Sep 2012
    29 x 2.5 WT agressor on the back of my titan, with short drop outs and 30mm wide rim leaves barely enough room. I frequently hear rocks getting tangled in the seat stays.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Second ride today. A bike with this much travel has no right to pedal this well. And the other direction? Brutal. Still not going to gush, but I'm probably not going to make my self-imposed 100 miles prior to offering opinions.

I'll just leave this here ...

IMG_0701 by dbozman1173, on Flickr
    How does this bike stack up next to the Prime in your experience going up Natty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by morox View Post
    I had a v2 Spitfire a few years ago as my first 650b bike, have had a few bikes since but my experience on that bike is what brought me back to Banshee. The jump from a 26" V2 Spitfire to a Titan will be very jarring in many ways, and you'll definitely want to see if you can demo a modern bigger bike first before you commit. The Titan is much longer, slacker, taller, and has bigger wheels. Even a newer Spitfire will be a big adjustment with the slightly bigger wheels and significantly evolved geometry.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiebruster View Post
    How does this bike stack up next to the Prime in your experience going up Natty?
    My Prime was the previous gen. While I liked the Prime, the Titan is better in every way thus far.

mtbr member
    Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-img_8567.jpgBanshee Titan LT 29er 2020-img_8568.jpgBanshee Titan LT 29er 2020-img_8569.jpg
    This is the clarance I have on my v1 prime with 2.5 wt aggressor. With 2.6 nobby nic is quite a bit less but I used it for 2 years with rare rock rubbing.
    Looking at pics of Titan, clearance seems a bit less, and I suppose v3 Prime will be the same as Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    29 x 2.5 WT agressor on the back of my titan, with short drop outs and 30mm wide rim leaves barely enough room. I frequently hear rocks getting tangled in the seat stays.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What do you guys think of the red frames? Meh?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Colors are cyclical.

The tinted raw is beautiful and timeless.

Braaap
    As is anodized black! The red is bright and shinny.

It's slim pickings for Titan frames in the US right now. We a large/black and a XL/red available. That's it until the next shipment arrives in March.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

flailer
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    As is anodized black! The red is bright and shinny.

It's slim pickings for Titan frames in the US right now. We a large/black and a XL/red available. That's it until the next shipment arrives in March.
    do you know how many are in circulation in the US?
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    As is anodized black!
    Ano black is breath-taking. I love mine! Reminds me of my ano black Turner Sultan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Ano black is breath-taking. I love mine! Reminds me of my ano black Turner Sultan.
    Exact same finish of my Ano Black Turner Burner V3.1!
    IMO the Red linkages on the powder coated bikes are a bit overkill. They should offer them in the same black as the others . It would look better. JM2C.

FWIW- If they offered it in Traffic Orange I would have gotten that color. I think the Rune orange is close to that unless I'm mistaken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    IMO the Red linkages on the powder coated bikes are a bit overkill. They should offer them in the same black as the others . It would look better. JM2C.
    Totally agree!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ^ +2!!
    But is it actually powder coat on the painted frames?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    https://www.mtb-news.de/news/banshee-titan-test/

After reading this one of their negatives was how tight a 2.5w tire is in the rear. Any current owners recommend getting longer drop outs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza_wil View Post
    https://www.mtb-news.de/news/banshee-titan-test/

After reading this one of their negatives was how tight a 2.5w tire is in the rear. Any current owners recommend getting longer drop outs?
    I talked to them about this and it turns out that the tire was rubbing the insides of the stays under very hard cornering... the wheels on this bike were wheels they have been doing a separate long term review on and I can only assume that the spokes were getting pretty damn slack for the wheels to have this much lateral flex. It's not something we have ever encountered during testing with same tires.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I personally wouldn't want the additional wheelbase on an already long bike. But having an enormous rear tire is super-low on my importance list; mostly because, in my own experience, those tires only make you slower and you don't need extra tire damping on a suspension platform that works as well as this one does.

flailer
    Sep 2012
    I switch between a 2.5WT and 2.35 tire depending on what we are riding for the day. Both sets of wheels are 30mm inside width. Sorry the pics are sideways, I canít figure out how to rotate them when posting from an iPad.

2.35 Vittoria Martello clearance

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-img_1640.jpg

2.50 WT aggressor clearance

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-img_1641.jpg

The scratches in the chain stay are from the WT aggressor tire because thatís when I can here the rocks getting dragged through.

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-img_1642.jpg

The aggressor is more prone to pick up rocks and carry them around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-c58c589a-a50c-40dd-92e0-dc0bbc7687c1.jpeg  

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-0616c3d5-5580-4de8-b919-0f25921df2b2.jpeg  

Last edited by rock-rod; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:58 PM.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    I switch between a 2.5WT and 2.35 tire depending on what we are riding for the day. Both sets of wheels are 30mm inside width. Sorry the pics are sideways, I canít figure out how to rotate them when posting from an iPad.

2.35 clearance

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-c58c589a-a50c-40dd-92e0-dc0bbc7687c1.jpeg

2.5 WT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C58C589A-A50C-40DD-92E0-DC0BBC7687C1.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	1309009

The scratches in the chain stay are from the WT aggressor tire because thatís when I can here the rocks getting dragged through.

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-0616c3d5-5580-4de8-b919-0f25921df2b2.jpeg
    Looks like the same pic posted twice, not two different size tires...imho.

mtbr member
    Blatant, you mentioned earlier that you had some time on a Megatower. How would you compare the MT to the Titan? Both are on my short list for a new frame. Moving from a SB150 as I want something with longer rear center. Sizing I'm on a L SB150, would probably go L for Titan and in between L and XL on Megatower.

flailer
    Sep 2012
    Looks like the same pic posted twice, not two different size tires...imho.
    Fixed it. Sorry about that
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am running long dropouts (high) on my XL and the mud on my 2.4WTDH2 was clinging a rock now and thenand collecting way to much mud. I went to Shorty's on both ends. Man I'm loving the Shorty 2.5WT. Lots of clearance and no mud build up. I even think they are pretty sweet on the dry loose stuff. I might run these Shorty's all year!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To be fair, I had a single day on the Mega. But it was a home demo, where I had a day to set the bike up and rode it up and down National trail at South Mountain, which is a trail I ride regularly. I ultimately bought a Hightower, which I could not get rid of fast enough.

I tried to pull up some ride data comparing the the Mega to the Titan, but the times are a little wonky. I know I was with another rider when I demo'd the Mega, which does affect my times.

I thought the Mega was very fast and tracked well downhill, a touch harsh at speed in big technical chop. If I shuttled more or lived near a park, I definitely would have considered it.

However, the thought of humping that thing up a mountain a few days a week was more than I could bear. I did not find it to climb technical terrain well at all.

I was on an XL Mega and Hightower. Now on a L Titan.

The Titan flat destroys the Mega (and the HT for that matter) climbing. Not close, despite being probably 3-4 pounds heavier.

There were a couple short segments on National coming down that the Mega was slightly faster; mostly on the couple of smoother sections. Overall, the Titan is faster, particularly when the jank factor goes up. And it's more plush overall despite being a better climber.

I can't say enough good things about this bike. It's legit. I'm not quite there yet, but the Titan could well be the best bike I've ever ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Blatant, you mentioned earlier that you had some time on a Megatower. How would you compare the MT to the Titan? Both are on my short list for a new frame. Moving from a SB150 as I want something with longer rear center. Sizing I'm on a L SB150, would probably go L for Titan and in between L and XL on Megatower.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    To be fair, I had a single day on the Mega. But it was a home demo, where I had a day to set the bike up and rode it up and down National trail at South Mountain, which is a trail I ride regularly. I ultimately bought a Hightower, which I could not get rid of fast enough.

I tried to pull up some ride data comparing the the Mega to the Titan, but the times are a little wonky. I know I was with another rider when I demo'd the Mega, which does affect my times.

I thought the Mega was very fast and tracked well downhill, a touch harsh at speed in big technical chop. If I shuttled more or lived near a park, I definitely would have considered it.

However, the thought of humping that thing up a mountain a few days a week was more than I could bear. I did not find it to climb technical terrain well at all.

The Titan flat destroys the Mega (and the HT for that matter) climbing. Not close, despite being probably 3-4 pounds heavier.

There were a couple short segments on National coming down that the Mega was slightly faster; mostly on the couple of smoother sections. Overall, the Titan is faster, particularly when the jank factor goes up. And it's more plush overall despite being a better climber.

I can't say enough good things about this bike. It's legit. I'm not quite there yet, but the Titan could well be the best bike I've ever ridden.
    Solid praise indeed. How's that X2 been in the rear end? Are you considering a coil yet or is the air good enough in this configuration?

mtbr member

I appreciate the thoughts and despite your previous commitment to not gush to much about a new bike I can detect some gushing. Sounds pretty awesome indeed. I like how it sounds to climb very well. Here in the front range of CO most everything is sustained climbing for at least 1500' if not 2000' in one go and it's usually pretty steep so climbing performance is a big deal.

My SB150 does climb well but the balance sweet spot is really small and in cornering it gets upset somewhat easily. It's a good bike but really I just want to switch things up.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Solid praise indeed. How's that X2 been in the rear end? Are you considering a coil yet or is the air good enough in this configuration?
    Are you missing the HSC and HSR control of the full factory shock or is the tune good? Sounds like Banshee did work with Fox to get a good tune.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No coil at this point; Iím pleased with the X2, which is currently outperforming the Lyrik. Iíve found the tune to be excellent. Frankly, I donít miss the high-speed controls one bit. The bike seems to have a pretty large sweet spot. 215 psi for a 190 rider, couple clicks of rebound and compression, seems good to go.

mtbr member
    The black beast does not disappoint! Nice and clean after it's first bath

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-2.2.20.jpg

flailer
    Sep 2012
    very nice! It does represent very well in black!
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Anyone here have time on the new Enduro? I spent three days on a S4 SWorks in the Monarch Crest area and was super impressed. What has been written is accurate IMO. Really good bike and it climbed pretty well, best big travel Horst link bike I've ridden. Pretty similar rear axle path between these two frames but I believe Titan has more rearward movement but that's on memory.

I will have a Tallboy 4 for more mellow riding or big pedal missions.

Dirt Merchant, do you have a L Titan I could throw a leg over?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Name:	2.2.20.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	1309279
    Had 4 ano black frames over the years, Maxima sc1 spray is your friend! I'm on the fence to go black or the raw for the next one!

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Dirt Merchant, do you have a L Titan I could throw a leg over?
    Nothing until the next shipment arrives in March. We do have a large/raw frame available, I believe it's the last in the US until March.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I asked Keith about running a Mullet setup on a Titan today. I am happy to share his answer with you:

Ich habe mal bei Keith nachgefragt wie sich die Geometrie mit einem Mullet Hinterrad šndern wŁrde. Er freut sich, wenn ich das hier verŲffetliche:

"If you want to run a mullet setup on the titan it will have the following effect on the geometry.
    Slacken head angle by approx. 0.6 degrees and drop bb height by about 10mm. So Iíd recommend running in high dropout setting which will basically get you very close to low geometry with 29Ē setup. (0.1 degree slacker and 2mm lower bb)."

Sounds great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Stoked to get my frame in March....I already have a Storia coil on order, been working with them a bit to set up a shock for this frame based on suspension curve.

I'll probably keep the X2 as a backup / in case I need the Storia revalved.

Cmon March!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grazertourer View Post
    I asked Keith about running a Mullet setup on a Titan today. I am happy to share his answer with you:

Ich habe mal bei Keith nachgefragt wie sich die Geometrie mit einem Mullet Hinterrad šndern wŁrde. Er freut sich, wenn ich das hier verŲffetliche:

"If you want to run a mullet setup on the titan it will have the following effect on the geometry.
    Slacken head angle by approx. 0.6 degrees and drop bb height by about 10mm. So Iíd recommend running in high dropout setting which will basically get you very close to low geometry with 29Ē setup. (0.1 degree slacker and 2mm lower bb)."

Sounds great!
    I've been running this setup with 2.8" rear & 2.6" front tires & it rocks (for my style of riding & terrain). I also run 165mm cranks, so no issues with bb height.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RadBartTaylor View Post
    Stoked to get my frame in March....I already have a Storia coil on order, been working with them a bit to set up a shock for this frame based on suspension curve.
    Don't they already have a shock tune for it? At bansheebikes.net you can order the frame directly with a Storia shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    Don't they already have a shock tune for it? At bansheebikes.net you can order the frame directly with a Storia shock.
    Never seen that website....but you are right, looks like they do! I sent the Titan info to Storia and the local US rep, they were confident they could sort it out and didn't mention a shock tune existed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RadBartTaylor View Post
    Never seen that website....but you are right, looks like they do! I sent the Titan info to Storia and the local US rep, they were confident they could sort it out and didn't mention a shock tune existed.
    It's the german importer for Banshee, he had already connections to EXT in the last years. I ride one in my Prime V2 and it's awsome! Don't know how the US service center is, but in Europe they are extremely qualified and quick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's the german importer for Banshee, he had already connections to EXT in the last years. I ride one in my Prime V2 and it's awsome! Don't know how the US service center is, but in Europe they are extremely qualified and quick.
    Heard great things about US Storia distributor also and never heard a bad thing about the Storia shocks. I have a buddy that has one that absolutely swears by them...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 13JKU View Post
    Got the routing fixed for the rear brake and replaced the DT Swiss rear (thanks rock-rod for the specs the other day) thru axles. Just added to front for sh*ts and giggles.
    What are the rear axle specs? I'm keen to replace the DT handle too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What are the rear axle specs? I'm keen to replace the DT handle too.
    It uses Maxle standard

Axle Length - 180mm
    Thread spec - M12x1.75
    Flat head at non drive side

same for all Generation 2 modular dropout options.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

flailer
    Sep 2012
    Here's the Rock Shox MPN: 00.4318.005.028

They go on ebay for around $35.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune

Out spokin'

Name:	2.2.20.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	1309279
    Very sharp looking bike, jnc. I recall your black ano Sultan well, in fact I bought one in no small part because photos of yours here on empty beer looked so hawt. I fell in lust with that bike.

Interestingly you and I are still riding very capable black aluminum framed mountain bikes -- you on a Banshee Titan and me on a Guerrilla Gravity The Smash. Mine's a year and a half old now and I love it but had the Titan been available when I was deciding which bike would be my next back in May '18, there's a good chance you and I might be riding the same brand & model frame once again.

Everything I've read, seen and heard about the Titan says it does exactly what I want a mountain bike to do, and does it well. Beyond this, the dang thing just looks like liquid sex. I have zero need for a(nother) new bike, but dammit I want one of these.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Braaap
    MRP, OneUp, and Wolf Tooth all have a 180/m12x1.75 bolt on axle options. The WT also has a nice washer to reduce friction when torqued.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Whats wrong with the dt axle? Seems secure enough?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    It uses Maxle standard

Axle Length - 180mm
    Thread spec - M12x1.75
    Flat head at non drive side

same for all Generation 2 modular dropout options.
    Here's the Rock Shox MPN: 00.4318.005.028

They go on ebay for around $35.
    Thanks

That DT Swiss handle axle supplied with the frame has got to go!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael.oakes4 View Post
    Whats wrong with the dt axle? Seems secure enough?
    Any of my bikes that used those type of handle rear axles I found I was beating them up and even catching on rocks (not often)whereas my bikes that don't have them have no damage around the rear axle and never get caught so I figure it doesn't need to be there...plus they look terrible lol

flailer
    Sep 2012
    I've never had an issue with the DT axle coming loose, but I also have the handle pointing up. I could see it getting bumped loose if it's pointing down towards the ground. Once it's torqued, just pull the handle out and rotate it around to the 12 o'clock position.
    '20 Banshee Titan 29er
    '16 Banshee Rune

Braaap
    Easily smashed to pieces by a rock strike. I've also heard reports of the plastic cracking when torquing to spec.

Banshee has listened and a tooled axle will eventually be phased into the dropout kits.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

mtbr member
    Is the plan to eventually keep the inventory pipeline full? Or will the Titan be an in stock out of stock deal?

Also agree with the others, a black rocker link would look a lot better on the red frame.

Braaap
    Ha! Yes, I'm sure Banshee wants to keep dealers and distributors around the globe stocked up at all times, there has been a lot of demand! There have been 2 Titan productions runs so far, the second round of Titan frames are headed to the US now. We are waiting on final packing list before we open up ordering for the incoming March shipment.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

mtbr member
    Right now I'm figure out what I want and when to get it. I don't need the Banshee Titan, but I want it. Just trying to time it all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Very sharp looking bike, jnc. I recall your black ano Sultan well, in fact I bought one in no small part because photos of yours here on empty beer looked so hawt. I fell in lust with that bike.

Interestingly you and I are still riding very capable black aluminum framed mountain bikes -- you on a Banshee Titan and me on a Guerrilla Gravity The Smash. Mine's a year and a half old now and I love it but had the Titan been available when I was deciding which bike would be my next back in May '18, there's a good chance you and I might be riding the same brand & model frame once again.

Everything I've read, seen and heard about the Titan says it does exactly what I want a mountain bike to do, and does it well. Beyond this, the dang thing just looks like liquid sex. I have zero need for a(nother) new bike, but dammit I want one of these.
    =sParty
    I sold my Sultan when Banshee released the Prime. The Prime at the time was everything I wanted the Sultan to evolve into...but instead, Turner never moved forward with a long travel 29er. I rode the Prime for nearly 5 years until it was stolen out of my garage 2 years ago. After demoing a handful of bikes, I settled on the OG Hightower. I rode that for just over a season (with 27.5 x 2.8" wheels/tires)...and then the Titan dropped! I had to have one from the first production run, just like the Prime. No regrets (just like the Prime )

I have ridden the bike with the wheels from the Hightower (27.5" SC Reserve 30, Maxxis Minions 2.8"), and am now experimenting with the 29 x 2.6" front setup. Both have their benefits...trying to decide if I want to add a full 29 wheelset, or just build a front.

The Titan is everything you've read, Fast...controlled...stable at speed. Plush! It balances your weight in the center of the bike, so cornering at speed is very intuitive. It simply climbs like no long travel bike has any business climbing. For the chunky, techy trails we have here in Western Colorado it maintains amazing traction. I look forward to taking it to Moab in a few weeks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Easily smashed to pieces by a rock strike. I've also heard reports of the plastic cracking when torquing to spec.

Banshee has listened and a tooled axle will eventually be phased into the dropout kits.
    I just ordered a Wolf Tooth Axle. A tooled axle makes sense in many ways on a bike like this one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

But, gosh ...
    Hey Blatant, any comparison to the Ripmo? How's the Banshee suspension next to the DW? Handling in tight stuff any harder?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just ordered a Wolf Tooth Axle. A tooled axle makes sense in many ways on a bike like this one.
    I want a 2nd water bottle on my Titan as sharing with my dog is a problem on longer rides. I got a Wolf Tooth Velcro strap bottle mount base which has a dense foam padding and 2 Velcro straps. Seems to be adequate but I still want bottle bosses under my DT . This the only real beef I have with my Titan.

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-wt_basestrap_03_1024x.jpg
    Last edited by chasejj; 1 Week Ago at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I want a 2nd water bottle on my Titan as sharing with my dog is a problem on longer rides. I got a Wolf Tooth Velcro strap bottle mount base which has a dense foam padding and 2 Velcro straps. Seems to be adequate but I still want bottle bosses under my DT . This the only real beef I have with my Titan.
    What about a hydration pack for you and one bottle for your dog?
    2nd idea: Drilling 2 threaded holes in your DT for a second bottle cage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What about a hydration pack for you and one bottle for your dog?
    2nd idea: Drilling 2 threaded holes in your DT for a second bottle cage.
    I stopped using Hydropacks 10 years ago and won't go back. I have a drill and Nutserts with the gun that fastens them, but have not gone there yet as that will void any warranty as I understand it on the frame. I probably will eventually get there but am holding off for now until I am totally happy with placement.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I stopped using Hydropacks 10 years ago and won't go back. I have a drill and Nutserts with the gun that fastens them, but have not gone there yet as that will void any warranty as I understand it on the frame. I probably will eventually get there but am holding off for now until I am totally happy with placement.
    Understandable. I like the the DT bottle cage bosses on my V2 Prime and I use the cageless system from Fabric because it won't look weird without a bottle:
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ml-clear-black

mtbr member
    Not the cheapest solution, but likely better than drilling into your downtube!
    https://fidlock-bike.us/collections/...e-600-uni-base

Braaap
    The Fidlock Unibase and WT B-rad straps are pretty clean looking...What's not to like? Support the strap with the bottle bolt/cage on the top side and it should be solid.

You could look into the WT Double Bottle adapter...hard to tell but would likely get in the way as it stick out on each side.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Attachment 1302525 This is the advised cable routing. It avoids cable stretch while the suspension compresses and keeps them out of the way to avoid damage... plus is more direct and so shorter cable required. I highly recommend rerouting this way.

Hope you enjoy the new ride, looks like a great build!
    I know the intent here for the derailleur cable is to tuck it between the linkage and BB. But this violates everything I know about routing cables and housing for smooth action.
    I ran mine straight out the DT and under the BB to keep the least amount of housing friction. Works great. I would recommend it this way. JM2C.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I know the intent here for the derailleur cable is to tuck it between the linkage and BB. But this violates everything I know about routing cables and housing for smooth action.
    I ran mine straight out the DT and under the BB to keep the least amount of housing friction. Works great. I would recommend it this way. JM2C.
    Have you tried the recommended routing to compare?

Violates everything you know about cable routing made me laugh

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Have you checked you have enough cable length to accommodate full travel? There is a lot less cable movement, stretch and bend if you go between bottom link and BB.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I also routed mine under the BB. No regrets. Not a single one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I mean, you can totally try other cable routing paths, but if you properly set up the Banshee-designed cable path it keeps things very quiet, all cables protected, and doesn't result in any weird/problematic bends. Not sure what the big deal is.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    This^^. Not a huge deal either way, but itís weird to promote an alternate routing method that is inferior to the proscribed method.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Any tips on how to stop the cable rattling inside the downtube.

I've run the cables as recommended and really like the design for fully protecting the cables and hose

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    On mine it was the entrance to the headtube was the only rattle. I stuck a bit of 3m rubber tape to the guides. Silent now.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I assume you torqued a zip tie over all three cables just forward of the BB? And the little two-piece cable guides are installed and tightened? Mine is dead silent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just used a bit of cable tidy, but same idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I assume you torqued a zip tie over all three cables just forward of the BB? And the little two-piece cable guides are installed and tightened? Mine is dead silent.
    yep.

sounds to me like they are rattling up near the headtube. the cables/hose can slide in and out of the cable guide so its not like they are holding them..

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie70 View Post
    yep.

sounds to me like they are rattling up near the headtube. the cables/hose can slide in and out of the cable guide so its not like they are holding them..
    Yeah mine did the same thing. I pulled the cables and fitted some foam tubing over the cable housing, secured it with some 3M tape so it didn't move around and then fed it thru the frame. I ensured the bottom ziptie was snug and now it's silent.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-jagwire-internal-housing-damper-brake-hardware-kit-color-kits-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    fitted some foam tubing over the cable housing,
    Ok, will look into it.. didn't know such a thing existed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

My build

Thought I'd throw up some pics of my build.

Huge thanks to Ciaron Rush from www.rushys.com.au that sorted the frame and fork out for me. Had one day on the trail yesterday hitting the local downhill and enduro tracks (Ourimbah, NSW) and wow.. it is a weapon! Unreal how good it felt considering basically took it out of the box and standard suspension settings..
    I've just set it up mullet so keen to see how it rides..

cheers

ps: I've tidied up the front cables since these pics ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-20200215_145646.jpg  

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-20200215_090313.jpg  

Banshee Titan LT 29er 2020-20200215_090251.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12