banshee spitfire sizing for smaller dude- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    36

    banshee spitfire sizing for smaller dude

    Hey guys. I am dead set on building up a spitfire frame, except I am not sure about which size to get. I am 5'8. I ride mostly DH, and my frame is a small. My trail frame (hardtail) is also a small. Both are transitions (tr450 and trans am). Needless to say, I am used to a compact bike, however, I think a medium with a 50mm stem may suit me better. The banshee guys also recommended this.


    I was wondering if anyone, of similar stature, could give their two cents on the sizing experience. Thanks!

    Jc

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,884
    I am 5'10" of normal proportions and ride a medium with straight post, 70mm stem and 720mm bars.

    Something to consider is whether you will run the bike mostly in the slack or steep setting as the seat tube angle changes by about a degree. Depending on your femur length, in the steep setting, you may decide to use a setback post which will affect cockpit length more than the switch from small to medium.

  3. #3
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,300
    What stem length are you running on the TransAm?

    ... Medium Spitfire with a short stem sounds pretty reasonable ...

    "it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    36
    Thanks guys. I am running a 60mm stem on the transam now. Its a bit cramped, but I like the feel of a smaller frame. Sound like the medium may be best for me though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    346
    if you like the feel of a smaller frame, and you think you're on the cusp of small/medium sizing, you should get a small. i have the same tastes wrt bike size. i'm on the cusp between large and xl for the rune - i rode an xl rune for years because it was the "right size" and i wanted to run a short stem. recently switched to a large, and i'm much happier with it, with the same length stem and slightly wider bars

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ExCactus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    570
    Well, I ride a medium transam with 680 bars and 100mm stem right now (might shorten that though and go wider) and a medium rune with a 50mm stem and 760mm bars, and I stand 5'8" (and change...) I personally wouldn't want to go any smaller on the transam or the rune myself, but its all personal fit at this point.

  7. #7
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,847
    Look at the geometry charts - the sizes are very similar. Effective TT length, reach, and stack on both are within a few mm between the two frames, at least for the small sizes. IMO, you'd feel too stretched on the medium if you feel pretty comfy and like the smaller feel of your TransAM. The seat tube angles may end up similar or not, depending on your setup between the two bikes.

    FWIW I'm 5'9", and have a small TransAM with a 75mm stem and a small Spitfire running a 70mm. Both feel juuuuuust right for their purposes. Swapping back and forth between the two is very smooth and easy.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,864
    Keep in mind body type will play a bigger factor than height alone. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam so I have short legs and a long torso - a small would NEVER work for me plus I prefer longer wheelbases for better stability at mach speed!

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  9. #9
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Keep in mind body type will play a bigger factor than height alone. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam so I have short legs and a long torso - a small would NEVER work for me plus I prefer longer wheelbases for better stability at mach speed!

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    True. I'm average arm/leg length, but have a short torso.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  10. #10
    msv
    msv is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    19
    I'm in the exact same situation. I want a spitfire frame too! I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam. I would be using a 60 mm stem. Theoretically I'm in between small and medium. Banshee recommended a medium.... It would be great to hear what size frame other short spitfire riders are using.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I prefer longer wheelbases for better stability at mach speed!
    mmm, the one (and so far only) thing i miss about my xl rune. not that the large is not stable, but my old frame just carved up nasty corners

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    169
    I've been on a medium Spitfire for 8 months now, started with a 70mm stem and now have a 50mm stem. I'm 5'8" and I think I made the wrong choice on size for the type of riding I do. All my local trails here in MA are tight with very quick turns and the wheelbase is simply too long for me, cockpit is OK with the 50mm stem but think I'd be better off with a longer stem and a small Spitfire. My last bike before this one was a small Rampant which had a 42" wheelbase, my medium Spitfire has a 45" WB in the slack setting. rode the steep setting for a while and it was slightly better but still felt too long for me to handle fast technical trails. I also have a mini-DH bike with a 44.2" wheelbase which feels perfect but I'm riding different terrain on that.

    I'm going to sell my medium frame and get a small Spitfire frame. I think if I lived somewhere with faster trails where you could really open up on the downhill the medium would be OK.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,884
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    I've been on a medium Spitfire for 8 months now, started with a 70mm stem and now have a 50mm stem. I'm 5'8" and I think I made the wrong choice on size for the type of riding I do. All my local trails here in MA are tight with very quick turns and the wheelbase is simply too long for me, cockpit is OK with the 50mm stem but think I'd be better off with a longer stem and a small Spitfire. My last bike before this one was a small Rampant which had a 42" wheelbase, my medium Spitfire has a 45" WB in the slack setting. rode the steep setting for a while and it was slightly better but still felt too long for me to handle fast technical trails. I also have a mini-DH bike with a 44.2" wheelbase which feels perfect but I'm riding different terrain on that.

    I'm going to sell my medium frame and get a small Spitfire frame. I think if I lived somewhere with faster trails where you could really open up on the downhill the medium would be OK.
    It sounds like the Spitfire may not be the ideal bike for your trails. The rear end is going to be the same length on both the medium and the small and that's going to be the dominant factor in how quick the bike is through a corner. The Rampant has an incredibly short rear chainstay (DJ, 4x frame) and a steeper headtube angle than the Spitfire. The handling of the two bikes is worlds apart.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    It sounds like the Spitfire may not be the ideal bike for your trails. The rear end is going to be the same length on both the medium and the small and that's going to be the dominant factor in how quick the bike is through a corner. The Rampant has an incredibly short rear chainstay (DJ, 4x frame) and a steeper headtube angle than the Spitfire. The handling of the two bikes is worlds apart.
    Yes and No, the Rampant was an incredibly fun bike but I finally got rid of it to get something that would be better suited to longer rides with long climbs. The Spitfire climbs very well. The Rampant was actually too compact for a lot of rides. I think the problem is that the Medium is just too long for me in both the TT and WB lengths. I'm much more comfortable on a 22" TT than a 23".

    I have been somewhat disappointed in the rear suspension of the Spitfire for descending over rough terrain, sort of feels like the Rampant and that felt like a hardtail unless you were dropping off something or cased a jump the rear suspension seemed non-existant. Suspension works fine on climbs though. I'm not a fan of the RP23 and wonder if the Spitfire would be better with a RS Monarch RT3.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,884
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Yes and No, the Rampant was an incredibly fun bike but I finally got rid of it to get something that would be better suited to longer rides with long climbs. The Spitfire climbs very well. The Rampant was actually too compact for a lot of rides. I think the problem is that the Medium is just too long for me in both the TT and WB lengths. I'm much more comfortable on a 22" TT than a 23".

    I have been somewhat disappointed in the rear suspension of the Spitfire for descending over rough terrain, sort of feels like the Rampant and that felt like a hardtail unless you were dropping off something or cased a jump the rear suspension seemed non-existant. Suspension works fine on climbs though. I'm not a fan of the RP23 and wonder if the Spitfire would be better with a RS Monarch RT3.
    That was exactly my point and I think you are spot on. All I was saying is that the cornering behavior of the Spitfire and its maneuverability in tight turns and switchbacks has a lot to do with the longer rear triangle, which doesn't change between the small and medium.

    As for the shock choice, I couldn't agree more: the RP23 with boost valve is a really poor match to the Spitfire linkage. I have riding a RS/Push Monarch RT-AM and the bike came alive with this shock. It's much livelier under pedaling and smoother through rough sections. It's still 125mm of travel, but that travel same travel feels quite a bit deeper with the Monarch.

  16. #16
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,847
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Yes and No, the Rampant was an incredibly fun bike but I finally got rid of it to get something that would be better suited to longer rides with long climbs. The Spitfire climbs very well. The Rampant was actually too compact for a lot of rides. I think the problem is that the Medium is just too long for me in both the TT and WB lengths. I'm much more comfortable on a 22" TT than a 23".

    I have been somewhat disappointed in the rear suspension of the Spitfire for descending over rough terrain, sort of feels like the Rampant and that felt like a hardtail unless you were dropping off something or cased a jump the rear suspension seemed non-existant. Suspension works fine on climbs though. I'm not a fan of the RP23 and wonder if the Spitfire would be better with a RS Monarch RT3.

    I'm only a touch taller than you, and I loooooove my small Spitfire. 70mm stem. Similar trails (riding in CT and NY) and love the cornering and how it handles rough stuff.

    The Monarch RT3 I had on for a bit was way better feeling than the stock shock. The PUSHed RT-AM feels even better, and only runs a few bucks more - IMO, well worth the extra price.

    The right size Rampant with a 130-140mm fork up front would kick ass on much of the east coast. At least the stuff close to the coastlines where we don't really have a ton of long descending.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I'm only a touch taller than you, and I loooooove my small Spitfire. 70mm stem. Similar trails (riding in CT and NY) and love the cornering and how it handles rough stuff.

    The Monarch RT3 I had on for a bit was way better feeling than the stock shock. The PUSHed RT-AM feels even better, and only runs a few bucks more - IMO, well worth the extra price.

    The right size Rampant with a 130-140mm fork up front would kick ass on much of the east coast. At least the stuff close to the coastlines where we don't really have a ton of long descending.
    I had the right size Rampant and it was a blast on many trails out here but a killer on some of the longer rides with lots of climbing and lots of roots, such as the 12 hours of Bradbury... I sold it to get the Spitfire but think I got the wrong size. My wife has a small Rune, I'm going to set the psi in the shock/fork to my weight and go for a ride on that see how it feels compared to my medium Spitfire since they have identical Chainstay lengths.

Similar Threads

  1. Banshee Spitfire???
    By Warp in forum Banshee Bikes
    Replies: 669
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
  2. 2011 Banshee Spitfire.
    By Cycle64 in forum Banshee Bikes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 04:30 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 08:35 PM
  4. Banshee Spitfire rivals?
    By Saar G7 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
  5. Banshee Model for a fat dude
    By f. carnivore in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 01:27 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.