Banshee Phantom - Lady Riders- Mtbr.com
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Banshee Phantom - Lady Riders

I was dead set on getting my wife a Phantom for Christmas until I realized they don't make a Small frame, and not only that but the reach on the Medium is huge!

Any shorter riders (under 5'7") on a Phantom that can comment on the reach?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    How tall is she and what does she currently ride? I've a friend who's a bit taller (think 5'10") and he could maybe even try a Large depending on stem length you want to use. Remember that standover is huge on these frames, I let guys that height ride my XL Prime and Large Phantom and they had no issues with standover, pair that with a 35mm stem and you should have a bike that will fit a rider that size nicely. Also assume since so short that her saddle will be quite forward, so that will bring overall cockpit size in too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    She's 5'6" with shoes.

She rides a 98 Santa Cruz Chameleon 15 or 16" frame. I think its got about a 22.6" top tube, but I have no idea, never measured.

She rode it with a 90mm stem, which was too long, and the 35mm stem I got her is too short, even with the seat pushed back. I think she'd be ok with a 60mm stem and the saddle in its middle position.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Well, going by that info, she'll be fine with somewhere from a 35-50mm stem depending on arm length and bar width. The Phantom also has even more standover room, about an inch. One thing to note though is that geometry wise this is going to be a HUGE change, may take her a little while to get accustomed to the slacker head angle, steeper seattube angle should help get the saddle further forward which should be beneficial for someone that height - I expect that she will be thrilled with the confidence it will inspire Don't forget, nothing less than 34mm stanchions
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Unless she has long legs the set tube length might be an issue. Make sure you can fit an extended dropperpost there... Giggety!