Banshee i love you...

Printable View

• 02-22-2017
    HELLBELLY
    Banshee i love you...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eohHwsplvY

...and don't change a thing; and you're still the one pool where I'd happily drown...

Sorry, if this a bit maudlin, but breakups like band-aid removal should be dealt with quickly and without hesitation. My time on my Rune has been fantastic. I cannot recommend any other similar bike more highly and I've demoed pretty much all of them. The Rune did everything I asked of it and more exceptionally well and set the bar exceedingly high.

However, now is the time for me to move onto something very different. I will remain a Banshee fan and will return without a second thought if my next venture doesn't pan out.

WARNING!!! SPAM AHEAD: Due to the fact that I'm going completely new I am putting my Rune and all it's glory out for sale. It's on every site out there including eBay, but you can see it here. I am flexible and can discuss even further details and dealings via PM. Big ups and thanx!

:thumbsup: :devil:
  • 02-22-2017
    mik8yu
    One have to ask. Where you headed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-22-2017
    HELLBELLY
    Finally going to a 29er. I've never owned one and until the last few years thought they all sucked. The first one I ever rode that I really like was a '12 Kona Honzo. I nearly went with a Prime when I originally bought my Banshee, but at the time I wasn't ready to make the leap. I wrestled with this for some time simply because my Rune has kicked so much a$$.

In the last six months however, I demoed several 29er's I liked including a Ripley LS, Hightower and a Tallboy. Those and the Prime would not bum me out to own them, but I still wanted a bigger travel bike. A handful of my friends, some who also owned Banshees now ride Evil's. I've demoed all of them and they are the closest in all around pedal feel and ability to the Rune of anything I've taken out. The Insurgent feels almost identical. The Wreckoning though has the big wheels and the travel. It is an absolute beast. It shares the same pedal feel and handling, but with the monster truck wheels which I've finally taken a liking too. I'm sick of all my wagon wheeling friends pedaling away from me on the straight aways.

I can't say I am not at least a wee bit concerned, because it is a big (literally) change. However, I could not pass on this one and it will be something really different for me. Worst case scenario, I will turn it over and get a Prime. We'll see.

• 02-23-2017
    mudpuppy
    I am a very happy Prime owner (owned a few Rune's prior), and while it's still a kickass bike with no issues...my new bike lust is heavy! Looking at the Canfield Riot, and YT Jeffsy....but may just end up getting a '17 Prime, because...Banshee has treated me so well. I just am not a fan of the shortening of the ST....Tall guy who already has a ton of seatpost collar showing on my dropper on my XL.
  • 02-23-2017
    FM
    HellBelly, you're gonna love it.

My current stable is my Rune and an Evil Following. The Evils are all incredible bikes. Honestly, the following at 120mm feels as supple as my Rune with a Float x2. The linkage & leverage curve on the Evils, and the geometry, is dialed. And the pricing isn't bad for Carbon. The Evil gang is also top notch. And it can carry a waterbottle!

That said, I'm pretty unimpressed with Carbon in general. My crew has seen more frames breakage with carbon frames of various brands, and the frame weights are creeping up. It's not recycable. What was the benefit exactly?

When I bought my following, I test-rode a Wreckoning. My only beefs were that the bars just felt too tall for trail riding... that's what happens when you combine a slammed BB with a long travel 29" fork, especially a Lyric which is taller than the pike. But as a more DH oriented ride, it's a slayer for sure.

Which brings me back to Banshee. I love my Rune, it's my 4th Banshee? Stiff, quiet, suspension is dialed, incredible value.
    I do think the 29'ers are due for a geometry update. Everything else could stay the same. The Prime geometry is listed with a 551mm a2c fork, that's basically a 140mm Pike. The frame is so beefy it begs for a bigger fork... which jacks up the BB. I'd like to see the Prime geometry stay as-is, but corrected for a 567-571mm fork- basically 160mm.

Edit! My comments are based on the v1 Prime. Maybe the geometry has been revised...still looks underforked

Super happy with my stable though- I choose the Following for trail riding and AM, and the Rune for shuttling, whistler, double black days. Both bikes are comparably capable so sometimes i just ride whichever one has fresh brake pads!
  • 02-23-2017
    JACKL
    HB, I totally get where you are coming from. When the Prime came out in 2013, it was the right bike at the right time and it's been great everywhere I've taken it. Until very recently, there hasn't been anything out there at any price that I would consider trading my Prime for. However with the recent crop of long-travel 29ers, some with shorter stays, there are some bikes that have made me think twice.

I just ordered another Prime. I looked REAL hard at the Wreck. Sick bike - and frankly seems pretty reasonably priced after you compare it to the Trek Slash (which is so pricey I would only feel comfortable riding it on XC trails). I don't want to get into a whole carbon vs. aluminum thing - to each his own on that. But looking at the nicks and scratches I have on my 2013 Prime, I don't think carbon would have survived this long. I understand you have to commit when mountain biking and I do, but when the shit starts going bad I bail and save my body first.

FM, I totally agree with you regarding the 140 fork on the Prime. I had a 546 AC Trace when I bought my 2013 Prime. I put a 561 ac 150 Pike on it before taking it to Sedona. When I got back to TX, I tried going back to the 140, but just didn't care for it. 150-160 is about right for this bike IMO. With a 150, I've never felt short-changed with the rear travel. But maybe moar is better and I don't know what I'm missing.

I ran the geo numbers for the 2016 and 2017 Primes with 160 fork (dropouts in low position of course) against the Wreck in both positions. Very similar geo and no significant differences in BB height. Granted the Wreck has an inch more travel, so that would drop it 6mm or so if both are sagged. I'll post the numbers up when I get a chance.
  • 02-23-2017
    PeachesN'Cream
    Dibs on your 13' XL frame?
    It was meant to be mine at some point, hehe.

But seriously it's exactly the frame I'm on the hunt for -- perfect parts carry over and obliges my stubby cut sterer tube 36 that is otherwise perfect. Love my large Prime, but at 6'3" I think the stability of the XL is going to help my riding. Anyway, if you will be selling please PM.

If not, I'm trying my hand at an XL Smuggler, which will also be fun. Worried I'll miss my Prime tho.
  • 02-24-2017
    JACKL
    1 Attachment(s)
    Oh wow! P&C - yeah I remember, it really was supposed to be your bike, as you ordered it a day or 2 earlier IIRC. Yes, you can definitely have dibs on it. Frankly I have an emotional attachment to it and would probably just keep it, but knowing it would go to it's "rightful" owner, I think I can let it go. I need 1-2 weeks to figure a few things out, but I think we can work this out. I stripped it truly raw BTW, other than the preservation of a few of the Banshee decals.

Attachment 1123400

Just curious, what color is your L? And are you wanting to keep it? I have a friend that likes my Prime...
  • 02-24-2017
    PeachesN'Cream
    Twinsies!
    Mine was flow yellow, but I had it stripped last spring and pressed new bearings. I'll for sure be moving the frame along when it's replaced by the Smuggler or now perhaps your XL. Let's chat via DM.
  • 02-24-2017
    FM
    JACKL, you don't want Peaches' frame...I've peed on it. He doesn't even know :cool:
  • 02-24-2017
    JACKL
    How does the song go...."That's what friends are for". Maybe that is why he stripped it LOL.

Peaches I'll pm ya.
  • 03-02-2017
    HELLBELLY
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FM View Post
    HellBelly, you're gonna love it.

My current stable is my Rune and an Evil Following. The Evils are all incredible bikes. Honestly, the following at 120mm feels as supple as my Rune with a Float x2. The linkage & leverage curve on the Evils, and the geometry, is dialed. And the pricing isn't bad for Carbon. The Evil gang is also top notch. And it can carry a waterbottle!

The pedaling on the Evil's is pretty amazing and the water bottle will be nice.

Quote:

That said, I'm pretty unimpressed with Carbon in general. My crew has seen more frames breakage with carbon frames of various brands, and the frame weights are creeping up. It's not recycable. What was the benefit exactly?

The Evil's are pretty stout especially the Wreck. The only current Evil bike I've seen anyone break is a Following and this was simply due having too large of a rear tire with too low air pressure hence tire hits on the seat tube weakening it. That said, none of the other Evil bikes I've seen even get close to the seat tube with rear tire under full compression. I think the main benefit for Evil bikes utilizing carbon is the stiffness to weight ratio. Long swingarm single-pivot bikes in alloy need a great deal of extra material to handle the forces and are significantly heavier than carbon. Interestingly, as I understand it Evil's frames are made by the same manufacturer as Santa Cruz and I have seen very few of their frames in the last five years break. I don't know about recycling carbon frames, but there are many places that will repair them.

Quote:

When I bought my following, I test-rode a Wreckoning. My only beefs were that the bars just felt too tall for trail riding... that's what happens when you combine a slammed BB with a long travel 29" fork, especially a Lyric which is taller than the pike. But as a more DH oriented ride, it's a slayer for sure.

This, the height and geometry was a HUGE "if" for me. I've demoed all of Evil's bikes now, but the Wreck I rode, owned by a friend of mine, was technically way to big for me as an XL (I'm a squarely a medium rider). However, what blew me away was that I still felt comfortable on it height-wise (yeah, I lowered the seat) and was able to climb impressively well. It does not have that "sitting up on bar stool after being over-served" geometry feel that plagues soooooo many 29ers. Like my beloved Banshee, you sit "in" the bike for that locked in, Euro sportscar feel.

At the end of the day, I hope it works out as I think it will. If it does not, I will go to my local Banshee dealer with my tail between my legs and order a Prime. :bluefrown: