mtbr member

New question here. Banshee 2019 peekaboo

I resisted temptation to upgrade my 2013 Prime (even if it is still going strong)
    Banshee 2019 peekaboo-img_6378.jpg

to a newer frame,
    ..... but for next year won't.
    I'm looking around but I'm my heart I'm hoping for some geo tweaks or upgrade on Prime or Phantom.

please post news, speculations, thoughts here

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    LOL. We are all always so stoked for the new bits. Keith has made the move to abolish "model years." Has stated he'll just bring a new bike out when it's time. I can't wait to see exactly what that means. In another thread he mentioned some ongoing engineering projects and ya I suspect some tweaks to those bikes is in order.

My personal guess is a bit more travel (10-15mm) on both wagon wheelers. I could see Rune going to 170/180 as well since there it is so widely understood that the Spitfire and Rune have a ton of overlap - also would position it nicely to battle against the new crop of these long legged Manduro bikes (Nomad, Firebird, Slayer, etc).

mtbr member
    I personally don't see much they could do to "improve" the Prime over what they already did last year - increase by roughly 1cm, slacken HTA 1 degree, lightened frame weight. Only thing they might do is increase travel a bit, but honestly, the 130mm of travel the Prime has feels a lot like other bikes that have 15-20mm more travel and you still get the excellent climbing manners.

I'm personally hoping they don't go bonkers on increasing travel and help further the "over biked" on the mentality to get more travel to help counter lack of working on skills crowd.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Heard a new darkside is coming

Off the back...
    Heard a new hardtail is coming.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

I fix choppers
    I could and would love to see the Prime move in the direction of the new Ibis. Maintain the geometry, but add 15-20mm more travel and a water bottle mount inside the front triangle.
    Banshee 2019 peekaboo-primesidestealth.jpgBanshee 2019 peekaboo-ripmo_builder_xx1kit.jpg

They are very similar and it is the Ibis DW-link that Banshee's KS-link feels the most like with their exceptional pedaling characteristics.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Would you guys buy something like this?
    -Changed the downtube to allow a 500ml bottle
    -Added frame guard and chain slap guard
    -color way from Legend

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zuman View Post

-color way from Legend
    Take my money

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hard funkin´ Kraut

-color way from Legend
    I thought about this too - a sloped Downtubetowards the bb, as Banshee did on the Scythe or Wildcard ...
    Not sure if Keith shouts out "Hell-Yeah" to the internal cable-routing ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Not sure if Keith shouts out "Hell-Yeah" to the internal cable-routing ...
    Oh shoot...didn't notice that at earlier glance. At least run the brake external. Then I'd be on-board

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member

-color way from Legend
    Not a fan of bottle on frame....but is just for aesthetics.
    I'd like longer TT and tad shorter CS on all sizes and PM brake mount.
    I'd possibly run cables on or in CS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    I could and would love to see the Prime move in the direction of the new Ibis. Maintain the geometry, but add 15-20mm more travel and a water bottle mount inside the front triangle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrimeSideStealth.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1194518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RipMo_Builder_XX1Kit.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	1194519

They are very similar and it is the Ibis DW-link that Banshee's KS-link feels the most like with their exceptional pedaling characteristics.
    Is it me or does the Prime looks a heck of a lot better?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    I'd like longer TT and tad shorter CS on all sizes and PM brake mount.
    Perfect. +1

Gear Whore
    I am still running a 13 Prime...I have test ridden a few bikes but none have been better. The prime is a sexy bike...but just needs a in frame bottle mount to really do well in today's marketplace. The other thing I would like is a XXL with a longer seat tube...the shortening of the ST in the last prime bummed me out.

One of the other bikes that really look good is the Guerilla Gravity Smash. Just great geo, a long enough seat tube, sexy alu, with in frame bottle mount!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

-color way from Legend
    I am not a fan of internal routings and don't care about frame protection either....but making the frame bottle-ready would be extremely cool!

Here, diagonally!
    Let's see, what would I want in a new Prime? Here goes, although building it the way I want it might be a good way to go out of business.

1) 150 or 157 rear. I won't buy a Boost or 142 bike unless I really get in a jam. (I'm a real PITA, ain't I?)

2) Longer reach or an XXL, either works fine for me. I'd like another 1 to 1.5 inches over the current XL Prime, but could make do with .75" or so. I understand that Banshee may not sell the volume to justify that.

3) What the heck, let's go another 1/2 degree slacker. I'm running mine at 65.5 and happy with it. Wheelbase does get longer, but I can live with that.

4) I'm happy with the chainstay length. I do understand that on the smaller-sized frames, a little shorter would be beneficial in some cases.

5) Not a huge need, but I'd prefer more travel as long efficient pedaling can be maintained. I like the anti-squat the way it is, although there is plenty, and just slightly less should be fine. Also I don't think I'd care about AS in the last 30 - 40 mm of travel. But definitely needed in the first 2/3 of the stroke. I am probably alone in my thinking on this, but I'd rather have more travel available, and use the shock volume to tune for a more responsive feel when that is desired.

6) Maybe this should go without saying, but stay with aluminum, adjustable / replaceable dropouts / threaded BB. I honestly can't remember the last time I adjusted or removed my seatpost. I actually service it on the bike. But I trust that when the time comes, I will be able to remove it from the frame.

7) Water bottle above the DT would be nice, but low priority compared to the other things I want in a bike.

I don't desire internal cable routing (other than the dropper of course). What I would prefer is a very positive way to lock down the cables instead of zip ties. My 2012 GT Sensor had water bottle-type holes in the frame for this, which were used to attach 2-piece sandwich mounts.

Colors and graphics...I've come to a point where I can't handle big contrasting letters splashed on the downtube of a bike. I do really dig the 2017 graphic design other than the downtube. Love the "strobe" effect. I had to strip my 2013 frame because I could not stand the "doodles". I love orange bikes, but don't like the yellow logos on the 2017s. You can please some of the people some of the time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Two more things on my wishlist:

1. bring the banshee blog to life again!
    2. start blogging!

@keith
    Maybe I am completely wrong with my impression written down below, but it is how I see it (as a European Banshee fan who is not using facebook. Maybe that's the problem...).
    One of the positive characteristics of your brand is the close communication to us. Banshee used to be great in selling the feeling and spirit of just mtb addicts. We all know you are but this is something I have been missing for a while now. Banshee/you used to be very active and present in forums, the blog, in the news etc. Somehow this has slowly changed over the last year. I totally understand that you cannot and don't want to put new staff on the marked every 10-12 months, but it would be good to at least get some teasers delivered every now and then (I am aware that this is very time consuming). We are all excited to see what's in your brain. We want to know your opinion on certain things etc.
    The websites of the usual suspects like pinkbike, vital mtb, mtb-news etc are full with news, marketing bullshit, crazy ideas etc. The speed of the whole machinery is crazy. You don't have to go this pace, but at least I would like to occasionally get a few bread crumbs.

Sincerely, one of te biggest fans, Rune and Phantom (replaced my Spitfire) rider.....
    Last edited by grazertourer; 05-16-2018 at 10:42 PM.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Is it me or does the Prime looks a heck of a lot better?
    You are correct. However, I do not think making the few adjustments as noted (bottle cage inside front triangle, a little more travel, etc) would adversely effect the Prime's esthetics and only enhance it's performance.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Impatiently waiting news about new toys (or tweaks to old toys) from Banshee..... I keep riding my ‘13 Prime wondering when or if I’ll be fed up about this bike.
    I’m fully aware that riding satisfaction comes mainly (if not completely) trough skills and fitness improvement and a bike like mine leaves little to desire in terms of capabilities.
    But for the peace of my mind I hope that in short time a longer reach, shorter stay and eye catchin’ fluo green colour Prime frame will pop out from Banshee site.

Braaap
    I'm surprised no one caught this from their FB.
    Banshee 2019 peekaboo-35758843_1872935942765068_6809111305627107328_n.jpg
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well don't that look sweet!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    I'm surprised no one caught this from their FB.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35758843_1872935942765068_6809111305627107328_n.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	1210699
    well, not my preferred green but I'd buy it....let's hope for geo tweaks now
    Last edited by filbike; 08-03-2018 at 07:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Starting with the 2017’s we did away with “model years” and instead switched to doing our releases as “versions”.

This way we can control release better, and only put a new product to market once fully tested and ready. I also allows our products to remain current and relevant longer for both dealers and our customers, vs. having little updates rendering them out of date.

So for the Phantom, the version release in calendar year 2017 with the updated hydroformed tub-set and refined dropouts is the most updated version, and this will continue to be the most updated version for a while to come. So no need to worry about a release in a few months with new updates. A new color is coming in a few months, however nothing major is changing for a little while.

Thanks for reaching out and the interest in the Phantom!

**Here is the answer to my question about the future Phantom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFWY View Post
    Starting with the 2017’s we did away with “model years” and instead switched to doing our releases as “versions”.

This way we can control release better, and only put a new product to market once fully tested and ready. I also allows our products to remain current and relevant longer for both dealers and our customers, vs. having little updates rendering them out of date.

So for the Phantom, the version release in calendar year 2017 with the updated hydroformed tub-set and refined dropouts is the most updated version, and this will continue to be the most updated version for a while to come. So no need to worry about a release in a few months with new updates. A new color is coming in a few months, however nothing major is changing for a little while.

Thanks for reaching out and the interest in the Phantom!

**Here is the answer to my question about the future Phantom

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So what are you guys running on your primes. I just ordered a gx build from jenson and already looking at upgrading the brakes. I have some new rev grips but everything else stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    well, not my preferred green but I'd buy it....let's hope for geo tweaks now
    I'd really love to see an anodised olive/army green Spitfire, done in the stealth frame's style of matte and polished finish. It's a Spitfire, tell me that wouldn't look awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee 2019 peekaboo-fvb6fn2ftvvkxbc.large.jpg  

Braaap
    Limited Edition colors for the Rune, Prime, Spitfire, and Phantom. Unfortunately, not included in the End of Season Sale.

Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas View Post
    I'd really love to see an anodised olive/army green Spitfire, done in the stealth frame's style of matte and polished finish. It's a Spitfire, tell me that wouldn't look awesome.
    That would indeed look awesome... unfortunately because we use superior strength 7005 T6 alloy, anodizing only works in black (goes streaky in lighter colours because of grain structure), and we aren't prepared to switch to cheaper 6061 just to be able anodize in every colour. We continue to look for new anodizing tech that might enable things like this, but no luck so far.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Limited Edition colors for the Rune, Prime, Spitfire, and Phantom. Unfortunately, not included in the End of Season Sale.

well... that green/orange would have satisfied me on the Prime ......really don't like that blue....I'll keep on with my '13 fluo yellow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    unfortunately because we use superior strength 7005 T6 alloy, anodizing only works in black (goes streaky in lighter colours because of grain structure), and we aren't prepared to switch to cheaper 6061 just to be able anodize in every colour. We continue to look for new anodizing tech that might enable things like this, but no luck so far.
    I never knew that, that's a shame... The streaky colour, not the reluctance to change to an inferior metal. Looks like I may hold onto my 2014 Rune for a while longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Really starting to toy with the idea of a hardtail. 29er, may go SS, just to change it up, give the Prime a break, keep the skills sharp, and hoon around a bit. Is the Paradox coming back Keith? Or something else? Currently the SC Chameleon tops my list, but if I'm honest, I'm at least ~6mo out and wouldn't mind waiting for a Banshee!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Really starting to toy with the idea of a hardtail. 29er, may go SS, just to change it up, give the Prime a break, keep the skills sharp, and hoon around a bit. Is the Paradox coming back Keith? Or something else? Currently the SC Chameleon tops my list, but if I'm honest, I'm at least ~6mo out and wouldn't mind waiting for a Banshee!
    ...might be worth waiting!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    ...might be worth waiting!
    that's what im talkin bout!!!! Awesome. Will be keeping an eye out!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I wish they would make Darkside slightly longer in reach (nothing too drastic though), reach in size Large in slackest position is only 433mm, something at least like 445mm would be perfect.

And i wish they would make bb height lower for 650 wheels. Somewhere around 343mm in slackest position. I know that would present problems for 26 wheels, the bike would be too low probably but yeah, i wish it were lower with the bigger wheels.

Pretty much perfect bike otherwise.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    ^^ And yeah, raw alu color with black signs please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a Spitfire that I love but would like to add to my stable an updated Phantom with 120mm rear travel, new geo, and room for bottle cage for those XC rides.

mtbr member
    OK, what possible "new" geo could the Phantom possibly need? For fvcks sake, it just had some tweaks in 2017, it's a short travel trail bike meant to be able to cover lots of terrain, flat, climbing or descending and be confident as heck going down despite excellent climbing and flat/rolling terrain manners. I swear if you say lower BB and slacker HTA and steeper STA I'll loose it Have you ever even ridden a Phantom or are you just going by your armchair degree?

Quote Originally Posted by betorac View Post
    I have a Spitfire that I love but would like to add to my stable an updated Phantom with 120mm rear travel, new geo, and room for bottle cage for those XC rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OK, what possible "new" geo could the Phantom possibly need? For fvcks sake, it just had some tweaks in 2017, it's a short travel trail bike meant to be able to cover lots of terrain, flat, climbing or descending and be confident as heck going down despite excellent climbing and flat/rolling terrain manners. I swear if you say lower BB and slacker HTA and steeper STA I'll loose it Have you ever even ridden a Phantom or are you just going by your armchair degree?
    Holy crap! This made me laugh!!

And I completely agree......

Sincerely,
    Another extremely happy Phantom owner

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah don't assume since that makes you look like an ass. Geo tweaks to accommodate a little more travel and water bottle. Reach increased in M to arround 440. STA and HA are good. no on lowering bb, they're low enough and pedals strikes suck. And how you know i was an engineer lol?

mtbr member
    Didn't assume anything, you're just another EnduroBro following along like a good sheeple

Luckily Keith is an engineer who actually goes through a thorough thought process before even thinking about doing stuff and if you did that, you'd realise that Banshee only offers their 29ers is 3 sizes, not 4 like the 26"/650B bikes, so when smart you moves the medium reach to 440mm, what's that poor chap a few inches shorter than you sposed to do when he already needed a 35mm stem to fit the current medium?

Travel is fine, want more, get a Prime. Hope that Keith keeps it as is so that if you own both a Prime and Phantom, there's no hard thinking when deciding what bike to grab as they're quite different in how they feel - Phantom delivers a lot of feedback, really rewards the rider actually riding, fantastic trail bike, Prime is a magic carpet type ride by comparison, really made for bashing, punches well above what the geo might lead you to think, same actually with the Phantom.

Again, before you assume and arm chair engineer, ride one and actually get to feel the ride quality

Yeah don't assume since that makes you look like an ass. Geo tweaks to accommodate a little more travel and water bottle. Reach increased in M to arround 440. STA and HA are good. no on lowering bb, they're low enough and pedals strikes suck. And how you know i was an engineer lol?

FM
    mtbr member
    Ain't no right or wrong

This last year I moved about 85 miles north. Big change in access and trail styles, and I found it really changed what I wanted out of my bikes geometry. Faster, mostly flatter trails, more jumps, not as much low-speed, steep tech. I went to a 1.5" longer bike and was instantly more comfortable on the high speed jumps. Steeper seat tube is nice on the climbs.

It had me thinking about how the geometry trends mainly follow shifts in trail access and trail building standards. You don't hear anybody saying "That long wheelbase will suck on skinnies" these days.

I don't enduro anything, but for sure CDC etc has fueled a lot of local trail building and development, and the new school geometry is purpose built for those styles of trails.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Didn't assume anything, you're just another EnduroBro following along like a good sheeple

Luckily Keith is an engineer who actually goes through a thorough thought process before even thinking about doing stuff and if you did that, you'd realise that Banshee only offers their 29ers is 3 sizes, not 4 like the 26"/650B bikes, so when smart you moves the medium reach to 440mm, what's that poor chap a few inches shorter than you sposed to do when he already needed a 35mm stem to fit the current medium?

Travel is fine, want more, get a Prime. Hope that Keith keeps it as is so that if you own both a Prime and Phantom, there's no hard thinking when deciding what bike to grab as they're quite different in how they feel - Phantom delivers a lot of feedback, really rewards the rider actually riding, fantastic trail bike, Prime is a magic carpet type ride by comparison, really made for bashing, punches well above what the geo might lead you to think, same actually with the Phantom.

Again, before you assume and arm chair engineer, ride one and actually get to feel the ride quality
    When you say thing like "Enduro bro" it make YOU look like a real asshole.Maybe take a step back and think about the horseshit you post.

mtbr member
    As the saying goings. sayings are like ....., everyone has one and that's yours, I'll stick to mine and call a spade a spade when I see one. People are just too damn lazy these days, want everything easy, with less work, so yeah, the EnduroBro crowd, that are way over biked with head angles and wheel bases approaching or even exceeding that of a DH bike, to trail ride.

Quote Originally Posted by rideonjon View Post
    When you say thing like "Enduro bro" it make YOU look like a real asshole.Maybe take a step back and think about the horseshit you post.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    It would be nice if Legend had 2 options regarding chainstay length, just like Canyon Sender has for instance. To flip the dropout and choose between 445mm or 430mm - or something.

I know that we are approaching Darkside territory with short CS but Legend is still a different animal even with shorter CS, it is of course slacker, longer and 200mm of travel.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos View Post
    ^^ And yeah, raw alu color with black signs please.

Want to double this post!
    Please Raw Prime with BLACK decals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post

Want to double this post!
    Please Raw Prime with BLACK decals
    Black decals are an easy task for graphics shops.
    Look pic of my 2013 Prime at top of thread

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    You might not get the bottle cage, but from experiences from german Phantom-Riders:
    Most of them go with a 130mm travel fork and angleset for a slacker front. Plus many switched from the standard 184/44mm shock to a 190/50mm shock to get almost 120mm rear travel and low flip chip-setting to compensate the slightly higher bb.

Might be something to think about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great suggestions and I'll definitely consider it. However just saw the new Canyon Neuron and its basically what I'm looking for. And I have demo'ed the Giant Trance 29 and Pivot Trail 429, both bikes I really enjoyed and can cover 90% of what I ride. So those 3 are at the top of my list. I'm certain the Phantom is a great bike but probably needs some changes to keep up with the competition. Riding with water bottles on my short rides is such a freeing experience and now a "must have" at least for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza_wil View Post
    "Pre Production" XL frames are available now.
    https://www.dirtmerchantbicycles.com...egend-29-frame
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles