Back on a Banshee (29er x-post)- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Back on a Banshee (29er x-post)

After a series of critically acclaimed bikes that just didn't work for me, my riding style and Phoenix terrain, I'm back on something that I know for sure works.

After selling the last critically acclaimed rig last weekend, I picked up a killer Jenson deal on a 2016 Banshee Phantom. I've owned a Phantom previously, but in size XL. I loved that bike, but wanted to try a large to tighten up the wheelbase a little. I'm 6'2 with a 34.5 inseam so relatively normally proportioned.

Swapped tires and some small stuff and got out for my first ride Sunday on the National Trail at Phoenix's infamous South Mountain.

Happy to say, the bike was everything I remembered. Still need to get the suspension fully dialed front to rear. Fortunately the Large seems to work fine, though I'm going to move to a 60mm stem from the current 50. My old XL rig I ran in the medium setting but with a 140 fork. The new L I'm running in slack setting with a 120 fork.

I'm stoked. Not sure why these bikes don't get more love. I suppose it's because they're heavy. But the KS Link is legit and these bikes are stiff. After coming off a Boost bike, I just have to laugh at this incremental technology. Want a stiff bike? Build a stiff frame.

Just wanted to share some new bike stoke.

IMG_1113 by dbozman1173, on Flickr
    Clean and unridden

IMG_0922 by dbozman1173, on Flickr
    About to drop back down National.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I have been through a similar series of bikes, and the phantom keeps coming out on top. Everytime I think I want a lighter bike, I miss the stiffness. Curious to hear how you like the ccdba. I'm running an avy shock now after killing my cane creek.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's a DBinline. I like it fine as I like most CC shocks; I just don't trust it. Interestingly, I just purchased back the Avy-tuned Fox RP23 I sold to the current owner of my old Phantom.

On another topic, maybe I'm missing something. Is there not an available external lower headset cup? I'd like to swap back to medium position on the chips and the external lower cup would help maintain the HA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Get an angular headset from Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK ?
    If you need a straight one with external cups shoot them a mail.
    They do their own manufacturing and could make what you want.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I suppose that I'm overcomplicating this as I could just run their -1 zerostack headset and accomplish the same goal.

Braaap
    I don't know of any external 56mm cups, but an angle set would be my last choice. Why not up the fork to 130mm?
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

L vs XL

Back on a Banshee (29er x-post)-___img_4577.jpg
    Hi Blatant,
    nice ride, I have similar build and I am very happy as well. my is set up on slack position and with 140 Pike at font.

I am curious about your thoughts on the size differents - which and why size frame you like more. I am 6,1' and ride Large with 50mm stem and I am happy but just curious haw you find the XL in previous incarnation

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just a question on why you guys chose to run the phantom with such a big fork instead of getting the prime? Seems like it would be more balanced front/rear.

Sounds like you like the way it rides in any case!

I love a banshee for my next bike, whenever that may be! A Canfield riot would also be in the running...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I have run mine with a pike at 140 and 120 in the slack setting. It's at 120 most of the time since my other bike is an E29. I also ran into some seat angle issues with the fork that long in the slack setting. It doesn't feel as unbalanced travel wise as you would think, cant really explain why though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am about 99.9% sure this will be my next bike. What is the tire clearance on the frame? A cannot seem to find that anywhere.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    DM: Good point on the 130. I'll have to ponder that.

Bilu: Only a couple rides on the large vs. a bunch on the XL. I ran the XL in mid-position with a 140 Pike, 40mm stem and 800mm bars. The L is in slack with a 120 Pike and I just put on a 60mm stem and 800mm bars.

The L seems to be working out fine size-wise. It might be just a touch too small while the XL was maybe a touch too big. I like both, but my goal was an overall smaller bike and shorter wheelbase and I get that with the L.

Oddly, my other bike is an E29 as well. They seem to complement one another nicely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Blatant, I still can't wrap head around how similar the E29 and the phantom are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Jmhills, I am fitting a wtb 2.4 traill boss on a 35mm rim in the back with room to spare.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I second the 130 fork idea.
    Built mine up with a 140 pike as 130 was not in stock.
    Felt the seat angle was a bit too slack.
    After reducing the fork to 130mm the bike feels much more balanced overall.
    All set in neutral flip chip.

Regarding Sizing:
    I have an XL one with 35mm stem and a friend has a L with 50mm stem.
    I'm 6 feet 3 and to me the overall feel on XL is better.
    He is as tall as me, chose to go for a L because he prioritized a shorter seat tube over a longer reach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybeans View Post
    Just a question on why you guys chose to run the phantom with such a big fork instead of getting the prime? Seems like it would be more balanced front/rear.

Sounds like you like the way it rides in any case!

I love a banshee for my next bike, whenever that may be! A Canfield riot would also be in the running...

The bike is very well balanced with 140 Pike. I had previously on this bike 120 Bos Dizzy and with the move to Pike I can not feel any negative changes - good job Banshee!!!
    I have other bike 160/160 and all I can say is both give me the same ballanced feel but they are runing in diferent environment

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It is interesting how similar the E29 and Phantom are.

Here's a photo of rear tire clearance, a 2.3 Minion SS on a relatively skinny rim. There's plenty of room in the actual seat/chain stays, but look at the cable routing. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure my older Phantom didn't route the cables this way. I have to use zip ties to pull them away from the tire.

IMG_1118 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Also a shot of my new Chromag bars and stem. Sweet.
    IMG_1117 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I routed everything to the outside, seems to work okay

Back on a Banshee (29er x-post)-20160311_153254.jpg

Back on a Banshee (29er x-post)-20160311_153241.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilu View Post
    The bike is very well balanced with 140 Pike. I had previously on this bike 120 Bos Dizzy and with the move to Pike I can not feel any negative changes - good job Banshee!!!
    I have other bike 160/160 and all I can say is both give me the same ballanced feel but they are runing in diferent environment
    Goes to show how well the bike is designed!

mtbr member
    @blatant: definitely routed the wrong way, should be as Nhbrooks posted...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, now that I see the photos, that's how my last one was routed. Not terribly keen to rebleed that rear brake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Blatant, nice ride! Cool to see you come back around to the Phantom. That says a lot! Right now I'm on a Trek Remedy 29er XL w/30mm stem. I'm thinking of getting a Large Phantom so I can throw it around a little more. I'm just under 6'1" but I have very long arms. I love the Remedy, it's light, amazing suspension, but I feel like I'm on a cadillac half the time. I miss that snappy 'sports car' turning I had on previous bikes. At the same time I don't want something that feels too much like 'XC' suspension. Does the Phantom feel plush enough to plow through stuff or does the suspension move more like an XC bike?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I had a '16 Fuel EX prior. Man, I did not much like that bike at all. The Phantom is not at all anything even remotely like an XC bike, other than the stated travel. I don't know where you're from, but if you're familiar with Phoenix at all, some of my fastest times up AND down National trail are on the Phantom. Although I am running an Avalanche RP23 and an Avalanche'd Pike at 130.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I had a '16 Fuel EX prior. Man, I did not much like that bike at all. The Phantom is not at all anything even remotely like an XC bike, other than the stated travel. I don't know where you're from, but if you're familiar with Phoenix at all, some of my fastest times up AND down National trail are on the Phantom. Although I am running an Avalanche RP23 and an Avalanche'd Pike at 130.
    Yeah, I've ridden a Trek EX and I wasn't much of a fan either to be honest. It was too trail/xc oriented for me. The Remedy rides very plush and controlled with a 150mm fork. I've even taken mine shuttling and it did very well. The only thing is, instead of being connected with the terrain I end up just plowing through stuff like a DH bike. It also feels a tad 'tall' for me as well. That said, the more I read about the Phantom the more it sounds like what I'm looking for: Low, stiff, snappy and easier to pedal but can also hold it's own on the rough stuff. I'm going to be searching around for a reasonable price on a used large frame.

mtbr member
    The Remedy sounds like the Prime, just a Monster Truck, the Phantom on the other hand is more a WRC car, in that it can handle the rough stuff, but you gets loads of feedback and need to pay attention, you can't just go plowing through big rocks gardens willy nilly, not really "paying attention"like you can on the Prime. The 105mm of rear travel works very well, provides good trail feedback and although bottoms on occasion, I never feel it, well except when I hadn't ridden in awhile and was riding more wheels on the ground and hit a nasty little G-Out, then I heard it, but 10 PSi to the shock sorted that.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
    Yeah, I've ridden a Trek EX and I wasn't much of a fan either to be honest. It was too trail/xc oriented for me. The Remedy rides very plush and controlled with a 150mm fork. I've even taken mine shuttling and it did very well. The only thing is, instead of being connected with the terrain I end up just plowing through stuff like a DH bike. It also feels a tad 'tall' for me as well. That said, the more I read about the Phantom the more it sounds like what I'm looking for: Low, stiff, snappy and easier to pedal but can also hold it's own on the rough stuff. I'm going to be searching around for a reasonable price on a used large frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I might be talked into moving my large Prime if you want to go that route. PM me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
    Blatant, nice ride! Cool to see you come back around to the Phantom. That says a lot! Right now I'm on a Trek Remedy 29er XL w/30mm stem. I'm thinking of getting a Large Phantom so I can throw it around a little more. I'm just under 6'1" but I have very long arms. I love the Remedy, it's light, amazing suspension, but I feel like I'm on a cadillac half the time. I miss that snappy 'sports car' turning I had on previous bikes. At the same time I don't want something that feels too much like 'XC' suspension. Does the Phantom feel plush enough to plow through stuff or does the suspension move more like an XC bike?
    I'll say that in general the Phantom is not a plow bike but can be tuned to be "plow-able-ish" Shock choice is critical here. When I was running the Monarch, it was pretty harsh on repeated, rocky hits. Switching over to the CC Inline gave me more options. The base tune is seems soft-ish to me on LSC and LSR, which keeps the bike tracking well at the expense of some pop. I've tried messing with some of the settings to get a more lively ride but I went back to the base tune because they work better for my trails (rocky not flowy, only the occasional g-out).