Anyone Running a Wide-Range 1x11 or 1x10 Setup on Their Prime?- Mtbr.com
    Here, diagonally!

Anyone Running a Wide-Range 1x11 or 1x10 Setup on Their Prime?

Hey all, I'm going to build up a wide-range setup for my Prime for a trip to the mountains. To that end I've installed an 11-speed Shimano derailleur on my Prime, and will be ordering a Shark Cage. In theory that allows an 11-50 range.

However it seems to me that the Prime has a very large amount of chaingrowth. I've not settled on what rear cogs I am actually going to use. I'm questioning if an 11-50 spread will work on my Prime with all the chaingrowth. I'm concerned that the derailleur won't control the chain well in high gear.

Anybody running a 44t or better in the rear?
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    I run one of those 11-46t shimano cassettes on mine with a 32 up front, hasn't been an issue (jury still out on the big jump on the cassette though). Just make sure that you fully compress your shock when installing the chain.

Here, diagonally!
    Thanks. That would give me enough range.
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    Honestly, what's so horrible about a front derailleur and shifter? Gives you a huge range without any compromises for only a marginal weight gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Off the back...
    I'm running Eagle on my 2017 Prime. Shifts real nice! Have bottomed the shock a few times without any shifting issues. Started off with the stock 34 chainring, but dropped to a 30.

Here, diagonally!
    Thanks all.

Lynx, I don't think 2x or 3x would be horrible, but definitely not something I want to do unless I really need it. Don't wan't to have the front derailleur clanging all the way down the mountain, and don't want 3 levers on my left bar. I'm using the SRL lever for the dropper and it goes right where the shifter would be.

11-44 or 11-45 should be more than enough. Any lower than than and I think I can walk faster.

mtbr member
    Yeah Lynx, in riding in the mountains there is no point in using a front derailleur anymore unless you have long flat sections of road interspersed into your rides. Around here in the Rockies you just need to go as low as you need for the climbs and having a high gear isn't needed as the decents are steep enough that you rarely pedal. I also find that there are way less chain drops with a 1 by system, less clutter at the bars, at least a 1/2 lb weight drop (measured xtr kit) and a bit less maintenance.

mtbr member
    Was just asking as I like to pedal everywhere, not slog up to go straight down, I like trails you have to pedal on and yes, of course there's some "commuting" between trails on flat stuff where you can really get cranking. Also, honestly, I just refuse to put a cog on my bike bigger than any ring I used to run back in the days of a 3x setup or bigger than my brake rotor

Curious Jackl, know you love your SS hub with 6 cog setup, did you get the 150x12 drop outs to keep the stronger wheel using a full cassette? Not sure if you know about it, but the Hope DH 150x12 hub only accommodates 7 cogs and has the flanges spaced properly to take full advantage of the 150 spacing.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Here, diagonally!
    Hey Lynx, I was not aware of the Hope option. I built my current wheelset well over a year ago, and at the time did not find anything like that. I think Atom Lab was the only one I could find and could not find a dealer and didn't want to take a chance on it. I ended up getting a Hadley off Ebay for $150. So yeah I'm kind of wasting some hub space, and it would be nice to take full advantage of it. Might get that for my next wheel build.

I swapped from my 11-34 6-speed to 11-36 8-speed in preparation for the trip (the 8-speed has standard 10-speed spacing, so is easier to work with for adding more gears). I was going to just add one more big cog, like a 44 or 45t. However I see they are $90 a pop, which seems a bit excessive.

I've got an old General Lee cluster (remember those?) with a 42 on it in my parts bin. I think I will try that with a 30t front ring, and a 26t granny bolted on for manual use as an insurance policy - all those parts I already own.

mtbr member
    Yup, not sure how new the DH version is, but called to make sure direct with Hope that what I was reading and seeing was correct.

As to gearing for the mountains, if that 42 hack doesn't work, why not just buy one of the Sunrace 11-42 cassettes and use all the range. they're less than $70 US for a complete cassette? Sunrace MX3 10 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA

Running a crank with 2 rings and just using that small cog manually for a bail out when needed works absolutely fine, especially if you're heading into the mountains where you'll not be in any rush to be switching rings as it'll mainly be climb, climb, climb, descend

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Hey Lynx, I was not aware of the Hope option. I built my current wheelset well over a year ago, and at the time did not find anything like that. I think Atom Lab was the only one I could find and could not find a dealer and didn't want to take a chance on it. I ended up getting a Hadley off Ebay for $150. So yeah I'm kind of wasting some hub space, and it would be nice to take full advantage of it. Might get that for my next wheel build.

I swapped from my 11-34 6-speed to 11-36 8-speed in preparation for the trip (the 8-speed has standard 10-speed spacing, so is easier to work with for adding more gears). I was going to just add one more big cog, like a 44 or 45t. However I see they are $90 a pop, which seems a bit excessive.

I've got an old General Lee cluster (remember those?) with a 42 on it in my parts bin. I think I will try that with a 30t front ring, and a 26t granny bolted on for manual use as an insurance policy - all those parts I already own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    if that 42 hack doesn't work, why not just buy one of the Sunrace 11-42 cassettes and use all the range. they're less than $70 US for a complete cassette? Sunrace MX3 10 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA
    great choice, works perfectly looks good and only 350g (on my scale at home)
    you can buy it cheap here:
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...e-11-42-525615

Here, diagonally!
    Thanks re the Sunrace. That is actually a pretty good option for a normal person (which unfortunately I'm not ). I will consider it for a good throw it on and go option. 11-42 range is fine. However overall the % ratios are too close for my taste, plus inconsistent and not laid out the way I like. I'm ok with close ratios on the small cogs (high gears), but like to space things out more on the bigger cogs. With the my GL setup it would be 11-42 8-speed (with a close-ratio 11-12 up top) and consistently near 20% for the remaining gear changes.

I just went from an 11-34 6-speed where the changes are around 30% for the lowest 2 shifts. I'm now on 11-36 8 speed where the shifts are pretty consistent around 20%. It's a little closer than I prefer for TX, but overall I'm pretty happy with it, and 20% changes should be better in the mountains. So I will try the GL extender first. It did not shift very well when I got it, but that was on a stock 10-speed derailleur (no cages or links were available back then). If that doesn't work out, it will be a 11-45 9-speed (with a $90 cog), or Sunrace 11-42.