Another Prime sizing question: Large frame | 182cm tall | 82cm inseam- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dclxvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    197

    Another Prime sizing question: Large frame | 182cm tall | 82cm inseam

    Just another sizing thread... Curious to read your thought about buying a 2017 large frame for a ~182cm tall | 82cm inseam body. Can't really find test ride around here... My hesitation are mostly related to the >1200mm wheelbase. That seems like a lot, but looking that the rear center to wheel base %, it's quite similar to my current ride, a large RM 2015 Altitude.

    I want to switch to a 29er since I rode a bunch during a demo days and was really impressed. I was most of the time happier on a large.

    Another bike on top of my list is a Devinci Django in large. The medium felt way to small.

    thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    496
    Large is your size but it's a different bike to the Django so has much longer wheelbase and slacker HA. If your riding demands it then the prime will be excellent, otherwise the phantom or spitfire are what you want to look at.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amrayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    Just another sizing thread... Curious to read your thought about buying a 2017 large frame for a ~182cm tall | 82cm inseam body. Can't really find test ride around here... My hesitation are mostly related to the >1200mm wheelbase. That seems like a lot, but looking that the rear center to wheel base %, it's quite similar to my current ride, a large RM 2015 Altitude.

    I want to switch to a 29er since I rode a bunch during a demo days and was really impressed. I was most of the time happier on a large.

    Another bike on top of my list is a Devinci Django in large. The medium felt way to small.

    thanks!
    same insame, 183cm and i personally found that M is more suitable for me (afteryears of riding L size frames)

    it is very individual. i always try to compare reach and stack to what i know works for me.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    496
    Wow, 421mm reach at 6'? what length stem do you run?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amrayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Wow, 421mm reach at 6'? what length stem do you run?
    430mm reach (i bought a spitfire) and before that, 409mm (wildcard)
    i use 40mm stem. tried 50mm but it was too long. i guess i have short arms??...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dclxvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    197
    thanks for your input, I'll try to find a bike with a ~1200mm wheelbase and take it for a spin before pulling the trigger!

  7. #7
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,186
    I'm a bit shorter than you, but have a slightly longer inseam. Large Prime is what I ride, and I'm happy I didn't go smaller. You feel like you're on top of the bike initially, but as soon as you drop the seat - you're right in the middle. I haven't found the long wheelbase to be an issue at all in terms of sharp turns/switchbacks. It's a surprising bike...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5
    Im 189 with XL Prime. Could be longer reach but its ok.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,080
    Bit late to the thread, but here's my $0.02....

    Definitely a Large for you being just under 6ft, guessing you'd be happy with a stem in the 50-60mm range with a 785mm bar, depending on your arm length. I'm 6'2.25" (roughly 188.5cm). The longer WB is not an issue once you set the bike up right with appropriate length stem - ran my PP XL for 2 years with between 60-65mm stem, got my L Phantom and ended up on a 70mm stem, switched to a 50mm on the XL Prime and things got really good in all situations.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I'm a bit shorter than you, but have a slightly longer inseam. Large Prime is what I ride, and I'm happy I didn't go smaller. You feel like you're on top of the bike initially, but as soon as you drop the seat - you're right in the middle. I haven't found the long wheelbase to be an issue at all in terms of sharp turns/switchbacks. It's a surprising bike...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  10. #10
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Bit late to the thread, but here's my $0.02....

    Definitely a Large for you being just under 6ft, guessing you'd be happy with a stem in the 50-60mm range with a 785mm bar, depending on your arm length. I'm 6'2.25" (roughly 188.5cm). The longer WB is not an issue once you set the bike up right with appropriate length stem - ran my PP XL for 2 years with between 60-65mm stem, got my L Phantom and ended up on a 70mm stem, switched to a 50mm on the XL Prime and things got really good in all situations.
    Have you been in my basement? 780mm bar, 50mm stem works a treat as the Brits say.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,080
    No, have not Coming from a more XC focused environment when I got the Prime, I was very hesitant that I need a stem shorter than 65mm, but for the 2 years I had it, I always had trouble with the front at high speeds. It was only when I "downsized" to a Large (10mm more Reach than the Large Prime then, same as the XL Paradox) and tried it with a 75mm stem and then 65mm and settled on 70mm, that I realised I had had too long a stem on the Prime, switching made it absolutely perfect. Now run the Prime with an 800mm bar and 50mm stem.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Have you been in my basement? 780mm bar, 50mm stem works a treat as the Brits say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-11-2018, 09:11 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-30-2015, 02:48 PM
  3. Prime Spam: Banshee Prime Frame w/ CCDB Ti Spring XL RAW
    By jonshonda in forum Banshee Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2015, 10:00 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 03:16 PM
  5. Roaring Creek is Prime, I tell you, Prime
    By bear in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.